Newbie from Ames, Iowa (near Des Moines)

Newbie from Ames, Iowa (near Des Moines)

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Hello!

My name is Joe McGovern. My wife and I have two beautiful children (the oldest just turned 2) who are our motivation for looking into REI. We both have very little background in real estate - purchasing our primary residence has been our only experience and we just did that in May of 2019. I am a software engineer and my wife stays home with our kiddos. Our goals are to be able to finance big expenses in the lives of our descendants (college, down payments, vehicles, etc), to be available to them as they eventually move into a season of life of having children and purchasing a home, to leave an inheritance to our children/grandchildren/great grandchildren, and to provide opportunities for our family to work with us if they would ever want to (bookkeeping, property management, contractor, rehab, etc).

I would love to connect with some folks in the Ames/Ankeny/Des Moines metro area and talk about REI!

Thanks

Joe

1Reply
18 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Ames, IA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hi Joe! Welcome to Bigger Pockets and the Real Estate business in Ames, IA! Reading your introduction sounds like me when I started 12 years ago. Let me know if you’d like to sit down for coffee or breakfast! I love to hear more about your multi generational vision with family. I’ve ended up with about 115 units in town and had to start a property management company last January. It’s been quite a ride!

    All the best!

    Jon Engelman

  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 230 votes
    6y

    @Joe McGovern welcome to the world of REI buddy. It's an exciting place! There's a ton of great resources around (BP being one of the most accessible). Check out local Meetups and REIA groups to see what the best fit for you is; but absolutely get out there and meet folks doing what to want to do... In-the-flesh meetings will be key, virtual resources only provide so much umph!

    I not familiar with Ames groups, but certain there's great resources available out there. Locally to Des Moines, we host a monthly meetup at Wobbly Boots (formerly at Ingersoll Tap) on the third Thursday about REI and another on the first Thursday at Feliz & Oscars focused on Financial Independence. Both are totally free, no salespitches, etc... just good old fashion networking accessible to everyone.

    Hope to see you there!

  • Darson GranthamBusiness Member
    Realtor · Des Moines · Member since 2018 · 304 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    Hi Joe, welcome to BP and the Iowa RE world.  Many different opinions out there on “how” it should be done, but like Mitch said, Networking with others will help you define what exactly you want RE to look like for you and your family. 

    I’d be happy to grab a coffee/lunch with you sometime in the next few weeks.

  • Investor · Hays, KS · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Hey Joe,

    I'm on year 6 in the business.  Most of our properties are in Lawrence, KS but we have a converted single family home in Ames that is now three apartments and I live in one with my wife.  We're here for the next year and a half for her work, at which point we'll sell the property unless I can find decent tenants and likely a property manager.  If you'd like to chat online or in person, let me know.  I can share my experience and some spreadsheets.

    Cheers,

    Andrew Moore

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    Has anyone done a probate deal in Iowa? Could you tell me how long the process usually takes?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.