Buying property for vacation rental - good idea?

Buying property for vacation rental - good idea?

Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 12 votes

Hi everyone! Hope you all having an amazing start of the year! 

I am a novice real estate investor (some experience overseas, but none in the US). I am looking to buy a rental property, and one strategy that i have in mind is to buy a vacation rental (most likely condo) in Miami and use turnkey management company to run it. My logic is two-prong: i want to use the property myself several weeks a year and save money that i would otherwise have spent anyway on airbnb, and the rest of the time have passive income. 

With 300-400k cash available for investment, does this sound like a good idea?  What are some specifics/pros/cons of investing into vacation rental property as opposed to regular rental? My thinking is that vacation rentals in Miami should always be in demand, even if the economy goes south. Is vacation rental a good idea for a novice or its better to start with regular rental?

Another alternative is to buy regular rental property (or several cheaper properties), and it breaks down into 2 options: buy where i live (Austin, TX) or wherever i can find a new deal. I know we had crazy appreciation here, but i am not sure how much further it could appreciate being that prices are outrageous already and economy might go into stagnation any time. Since prices are high, rental profitability doesn't seem good either. In case of buying in Austin i will still be using property management company since i work full-time, but at least i have better grasp of the market, and of course finding properties, as well as controlling management company would be so much easier locally.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these alternatives! 

3Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 7 votes
6y

Hi Maxim,

If you are thinking of buying a vacation rental in Miami, please consider some of these risks. The condo board may decide to ban short-term rentals. I have seen this happen before. 

Also, the city may decide to outright ban short-term rentals. This happened recently in Miami Beach (they have already reverted the decision) and imposed fines as high as $20,000 USD for a single offense. There are some notables risks from entering this highly unregulated market. 

I would suggest that when you run your numbers, the property works as a regular rental and the short-term rental is just another strategy or the icing on the cake. 

Wish you good luck in your search. I live in Miami. If you wish to chat or have any questions about the city feel free to reach out through inbox.

All the best,

Arturo

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Brewster, MA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I'm a Keller Willams agent on Cape Cod. Everything you suggest is true. Although resort property is not cheap. Perhaps I could help you find a property or two to suit your needs. We have an excellent turn key rental management company.

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Maxim Son Hey Maxim, glad to see another fellow Austinite. I own rental property in Austin and I’m always helping clients find various opportunities in our metro area. Feel free to reach out if you want to talk about the Austin market in more detail.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Tammie JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Auburn, IN · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Hi!  I am located in the northeast corner of Indiana and we have 101 lakes that surround us. I have multiple vacation rentals and VRBO properties.  This doesn't sound like the area you'd want to invest in but feel free to reach out and I can give my experience and advice to you. Best wishes!

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Hi Maxim,

    If you are thinking of buying a vacation rental in Miami, please consider some of these risks. The condo board may decide to ban short-term rentals. I have seen this happen before. 

    Also, the city may decide to outright ban short-term rentals. This happened recently in Miami Beach (they have already reverted the decision) and imposed fines as high as $20,000 USD for a single offense. There are some notables risks from entering this highly unregulated market. 

    I would suggest that when you run your numbers, the property works as a regular rental and the short-term rental is just another strategy or the icing on the cake. 

    Wish you good luck in your search. I live in Miami. If you wish to chat or have any questions about the city feel free to reach out through inbox.

    All the best,

    Arturo

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.