Just wondering everybody's education/background?

Just wondering everybody's education/background?

Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 26 posts · 2 votes

I was just wondering what everybody's education or background is? seems that a large percentage of you folks have some type of formal "business" or finance education, or come directly from the world of Real Estate?

I'm an engineer (Civil/Structural) from NY.

Thanks all.

1Reply
426 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
13y

My family has a history of business owners and entrepreneurs and inventors.

Went to high school and had a 96.1 GPA. My dad was killed in a car wreck my junior year so at that point had to re-evaluate my life and what direction I wanted to go. I loved learning but mainly did the school thing for him. Ended up finishing high school still in the 90's for GPA but average went down some because junior and senior year was rough to focus.

Went to college for a few years and was making A's but really was bored and didn't know what I wanted to do for a career (major). Left college after 2 years and have owned different businesses ever since. Settled on commercial real estate transacting for clients and also my own investments and wouldn't have it any other way.

What I have learned in life through the school of hard knocks is worth much more than theory taught in a class room. Many of these teachers have book knowledge but very little practical real world experience.

I have always walked my own path and do not like being confined to corporate ideals in a box. A degree or designation doesn't define a person. I believe pushing yourself everyday to learn and be the best will take you much further than many in life.

See this reply in the discussion

198 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 46 votes
    13y

    I'm just getting started but here's mine:
    BA in Computer Science and Economics
    MBA from Top 10 school in Marketing and Entrepreneurship

    Started my career doing sales for Apple, transitioned to AT&T Sales then to AT&T Marketing

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I have no formal real estate education.

    BA in History
    1 year of Seminary
    Half a life time of entrepreneurship.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    13y

    Mechanic, Engineering degree from aTm, Outside Technical sales...and now real estate.

    I think you will find that with any business, formal education does not guarantee success, or guarantee the industry that you end up in.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    Electrical engineering degree, MBA and a bunch of corporate experience in the technology sector. The only part of the formal education experience that's truly helped me in real estate were the finance and entrepreneurship classes. In other words, with the right mentality and a just a little bit of book learning, anyone should be able to do well in this business.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I'm pretty similar to Jon Klaus - BA in History, 1 year of semi-seminary :) Weird!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Hi, I'm brand new to the forum, but here is my background:

    BS Economics
    MBA - real estate and finance concentrations

    Work with office properties at my 9-5.

    Just getting started in personal real estate investing.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Eric!

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    BA in Business Management and Marketing. But I learned the MOST about business when I went door to door, mowing the lawns of my neighbors when I was 10 years old.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    BA in Business Management and Marketing. But I learned the MOST about business when I went door to door, mowing the lawns of my neighbors when I was 10 years old.

    I had a lawn care business, too, Mile, when I was 22-25 years old. I was a late bloomer. What I loved about it was all the thinking/dreaming/planning time.

  • Woodstock, MD · Member since 2012 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Hello! I just started out too, but I am an 18 year old high school graduate!

  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    13y

    Heres a curve ball:

    Bachelors in Nursing
    Currently on my 3rd year of being a Naval Nurse Corps Officer. The job is great at times but it is definitely not my passion.

    However, I grew up in a family of entrepreneurs. My father had over 20 cash flowing units at the prime of his real estate career. He sold it all prior to 2006. Later he owned convenience stores and restaurants but liquidated everything for his retirement and to pay for my college.

    My father's background has really helped. Lets just say I spent many summers fixing up houses while other kids went to summer camp.

    Anyway, no current plans to expand my formal education. Coming out of college I was dead set on an MBA. It just seems like a detour I don't need to take anymore.

  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    BA in Business Management and Marketing. But I learned the MOST about business when I went door to door, mowing the lawns of my neighbors when I was 10 years old.

    Haha, I too had a small lawn care business that taught me a lot. Get this though, I had a friend who was afraid to ask people if they wanted their lawns mowed. So I struck a deal with him. I would talk to the owners and get the jobs while he mowed the lawns and we split 50/50. I would have 4 or 5 jobs lined up every weekend and make money just sitting around waiting for my friend to finish. He never had a problem with it so everything was fine.

    Those were probably the best summers of my teenage life.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Glenn - Don't get an MBA unless you are dead-set on it. It is expensive and work intensive and if you are unsure if it's for you, it's probably not.

  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    13y

    Eric Zahniser - I definitely don't plan to anymore. I don't plan on holding a regular 9 - 5 after I leave the military in 2 1/2 years so an MBA would not be the best use of my time or money.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Hi, I'm new to this forum (created my profile 15 minutes ago) and got my Texas RE license this past summer.

    After spending two decades in advertising, public relations and corporate communications (agencies and in-house for clients in more than 100 industiries), I taught middle school gifted students for 10 years, and am now pursuing a long-time dream: being a REALTOR (Coldwell Banker) and real estate investor.

    Formal education:
    --B. A. Interdisciplinery Studies (Change Management focus)
    --M. S. Educational Psychology (Gifted Education focus)
    --School of Life (Creativity, Problem Solving, Reinvention focus)

  • Investor · Member since 2009 · 132 posts · 30 votes
    13y

    Interesting Topic. I have a BA in Finance, 8 years of Corporate experience as an Engineer in the Financial Services Industry.

    I had a lawn care company also. I guess most entreneurs got an early start!

    I have been investing in real estate for 7 years, agressively for 3 years.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2011 · 69 posts · 18 votes
    13y

    BS in Information Systems
    MBA,
    MA in Communication / Organizational Leadership

    Over 16 years working with large corporations in the high tech space in Northern California mostly in technology sales, product management, consulting, etc.

    Finance background has been very helpful in projecting long term deal value. More importantly, it has caused me to question stocks and turn to real estate as a form of investment I can 1) truly understand (as opposed to investing in a multitude of complex organizations), and 2) impact the outcome of through my actions and decisions.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Mike Welch - Couldn't agree more with that last paragraph.

    It is impossible to wrap one's head around all the complexity of investing in stocks, not to mention the questionable nature of most financial statements / 10Ks.

    I also like to invest in something that I understand and can actively add value to. Also I know eventually, I'll have the property paid off and it'll just be straight cash flow baby!!!!

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    13y

    When I was a kid, about 13 or 14, I worked in a berry farm in the summer, got promoted to work at the mink farm across the street in the winter, cleaned a barbar shop on thursdays and also mowed yards whenever the grass would grow.

    Then, dropped out of high school at age 16 and did this kind of stuff for 8 years:
    Roofer
    Grocery bagger
    Hotel Janitor
    Credit card customer service
    Carpet cleaner
    Electician Helper
    Cable TV installer

    8 years later:

    Bachelor's Civil Engineering
    8-5 Geotechnical Engineer for last 4 years
    Master's Civil Egineering (just this month)

    Future.......? plan on owning more rentals, but who the heck knows what I'll do!

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    Brian Hoyt high school drop out to masters in engineering? wow!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Central, TX · Member since 2012 · 479 posts · 165 votes
    13y

    2 years of community college... Worst investment of my life in terms of what I thought I would get out of it. Best investment from what it taught me; hard work supersedes accreditation from an organization.

    Since then, Marketing & Sales/Consultant - Mechanical Engineering apprentice.

    Self taught in preparation for real estate investing : Rough carpentry/framing, roofing, novice electrical, drywall, trim/wainscotting/crown moulding, plumbing, tile/wood/laminate.

    I sit behind a desk 7 hours a day but can't wait to get home every evening and pick up my tape measure and hammer.

  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 211 votes
    13y

    BS in Chemistry
    MD
    Internal Medicine Residency
    Cardiology Fellowship

    Any financial/investment knowledge I have has been via individual study/self taught.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I got my undergrad degree in Political Science. I went straight into the Air Force after graduating where I was a Maintenance Officer. While in the Air Force I took a lot of free courses in Finance, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Economics, etc. After those I CLEP'd out of every economics related class possible because I thought I would pursue and MBA.

    I ended up not going for the MBA and probably will not. I do not have any formal real estate training.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Real estate sales 10 years

    Landlord 20 years

    Mortgage broker

    HOA board member-treasurer

    BA in Interdisciplinary Studies: Business Administration/ Communication

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    Welcome

    My education background - Associate and Business Administration degree in management computer systems

    (mgmt computer systems = programmer)

    I have over 15 years in corporate America

    Currently I plan to work on my
    Real Estate Broker license in the next year

    My 1st job was around age of 10
    – sold homemade cookies with one of my cousins

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.