Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 26 posts · 2 votes
I was just wondering what everybody's education or background is? seems that a large percentage of you folks have some type of formal "business" or finance education, or come directly from the world of Real Estate?
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
13y
My family has a history of business owners and entrepreneurs and inventors.
Went to high school and had a 96.1 GPA. My dad was killed in a car wreck my junior year so at that point had to re-evaluate my life and what direction I wanted to go. I loved learning but mainly did the school thing for him. Ended up finishing high school still in the 90's for GPA but average went down some because junior and senior year was rough to focus.
Went to college for a few years and was making A's but really was bored and didn't know what I wanted to do for a career (major). Left college after 2 years and have owned different businesses ever since. Settled on commercial real estate transacting for clients and also my own investments and wouldn't have it any other way.
What I have learned in life through the school of hard knocks is worth much more than theory taught in a class room. Many of these teachers have book knowledge but very little practical real world experience.
I have always walked my own path and do not like being confined to corporate ideals in a box. A degree or designation doesn't define a person. I believe pushing yourself everyday to learn and be the best will take you much further than many in life.
Massapequa Park, NY · Member since 2012 · 13 posts · 4 votes
13y
Brand new to the site.
I'm a structural engineer from New York. BS/MS in engineering. Recent experience with clients has shown me the importance of having a steady stream of cash and having your money work for you, rather than you working for your money.
Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
- 6 years in the Navy "sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms!"
- BA in Computer Science with a minor in Biology (the GI Bill actually works! thank you tax payers)
- graduated in 3 years and got a job at a start up during the .com boom, but hated being in a cubicle so I quit about 3 months later and never wanted to program again - sorry tax payers!
- 2 months later, on a whim I drove across country to CA in search of sunshine, but my jeep broke down in AZ and that was too much sunshine so we hitched a ride here
- Got addicted to seminars, seminars, and more seminars (but not the 'run to the back of the room' kind)
- consistently read at least 1 book every week
- financial calculator junkie - I have 3 within reach right now and 1 in my truck
Appraiser · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 44 posts · 13 votes
13y
Adam:
Great question (obviously from all of the replies!). I have been in the real estate appraisal field for more than 30 years. In that time I've only met one person who actually planned a career in real estate appraisal. Many had no background or were history or sociology majors. I imagine real estate investing to be pretty similar. You just kind of get drawn to it or somehow arrive there as a result of everything that can before.
Investor · Northeast, OH · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 106 votes
13y
So interesting to see the paths everyone has taken...so many impressive stories.
Me...28 years in the Army doing the normal Army "stuff". Two more to go until I have to grow up and stop playing (yes, I love being in the Army).
Absolutely no formal Real Estate experience (other than I live in a house). Starting investing in rental properties 4 years ago in the town we'll settle down in. Something about owning real estate that is just much more interesting to me than owning stocks or bonds. More personal I guess
Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 150 posts · 159 votes
13y
I slowly built a small lawn mowing business in high school and college. Eventually graduated with a degree in environmental science. I now refer to my twenties as the lost decade of my life. I got a useless degree and tried to be a good employee. I now hate being an employee and regret the time, money, and effort spent on the useless degree. I am not a tree huger but I live in the largest petochemical area in the world so I thought it would be a good degree but I was wrong. Ugh!!!
Real Estate Professional · McCalla, AL · Member since 2008 · 67 posts · 23 votes
13y
I have a BS from Oakland University in Management Information Resources and a Masters ofScience in Administation in Resource Information Systems from Central Michigan University.
My husband and I own a rental house in Michigan (that use to be our home) two lake front lots in Northern Michigan for Speculation properties, and a duplex in Birmingham, Alabama where we live now.
We both still have full-time jobs, but as soon as I can make up my salary in Rentals, I'm quitting!!
Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y
Hello Adam,
I was trained as a violinist at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. Due to a neurological condition (MS) which surfaced in the 1st year of Master’s degree, I chose not to pursue a career in performance. Everything I know about RE, I learned on my own. Pleased to make your acquaintance.
Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
Ben Leybovich - how nice to see another musician on here! I also trained as a violinist, and have been lucky enough to work at that for many years. However the financial rewards leave something to be desired and so I do residential real estate investment as well. I think I also like the tangible aspect of dealing with properties as a balance to the intangibles of performing and composing.
SFR Investor · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 3 votes
13y
My first job was washing cars at a local car dealership. I went to college and got a degree in Civil Engineering. I have been working for the Department of Transportation for the last 19 years. I have been involved in real estate investing for 2.5 years. I learned real estate investing on my own.
Dubai, Dubai · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
13y
Hi. I'm new to BiggerPockets
Bsc Chemical Engineering; MSc Chemical Engineering; Project Management Professional.
Started various entrepreneurial ventures quite early on. Currently work in Sales in a steel company targeting oil and gas projects. Have previously owned a company supplying building materials to real estate developers.
Taking steps to begin real estate investing, possibly starting with Dubai
Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 76 votes
13y
Surprised to see so many engineering degrees! I'm in the same boat with a BS and MS in Physics. I work full time as a clinical physicist in the field of radiation oncology and like to dabble in real estate in my free time.
Annapolis, MD · Member since 2013 · 67 posts · 9 votes
13y
Army? Musicians?
I'm doing both, actually. I have a bachelors in music performance, and I am a tubist and guitarist serving in the 399th Army Band in Fort Leonard Wood, MO. I am also the unit's Information Assurance Security Officer (see: computer guy) and Audio Engineer (see: sound guy). I walked away from a career in IT to finish my degree, and I discovered that I love life in he Army where I've been serving for six years. In two years time, I am going to get out and earn my pilot ratings with the GI Bill.
Admittedly, I am much better at math, science , and languages than I am at music. It's great to see that so many others are multi-disciplined and started on paths other than real estate.
Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y
Interesting to see the various things we have in common. Perhaps one of you data guys could build a spreadsheet of commonalities to see what jumps out.
Tracy, CA · Member since 2012 · 48 posts · 22 votes
13y
I am a first generation immigrant. Came to the US with a student visa and $250 :) BS in Electrical Engineering and have been working for high tech firms since 1993.
Started in RE in 1999 when I bought my first home. Flipping and buy&hold since 2006 or so. I love RE and will eventually jump in full time
Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2012 · 29 posts · 2 votes
13y
This is a great topic! I'm still a newbie to REI, haven't even done a deal yet, just learning. I've worked in IT for a commercial RE asset management company for about 9 years and for IT in the electric company before that.
I have an undergrad business degree in Information Systems from TX A&M, and thought I would be a programmer most of my life...but somehow got into IT project management. REI feels more rewarding / fulfilling somehow - even though I'm still just learning.
I think I will pursue my TX RE license as well this year for education and to open the door to more opportunities.
Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 8 votes
13y
I have a degree in computer science and an MBA with a concentration in IT. Currently working as a computer scientist. Real estate is going to give me the financial freedom that I desire. Time to live life on my own terms.
Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 35 posts · 5 votes
13y
Originally posted by David Manin:
I am a first generation immigrant. Came to the US with a student visa and $250 :) BS in Electrical Engineering and have been working for high tech firms since 1993.
Started in RE in 1999 when I bought my first home. Flipping and buy&hold since 2006 or so. I love RE and will eventually jump in full time
I am a bit better, I came to the sunny So Cal with $700 in my pockets.
I used to live in Bay Area. How is the Tracy market doing lately?
New York, NY · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 1 vote
13y
B.A. History from east coast private
J.D. (tax concentraction) from east coast private
Currently at a firm doing all things real estate from commercia/residential development to home closings. Loving it and am involved in some big deals. Still have a couple more years to lay the groundwork for the plunge into development on my own though.
Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y
Kinda neat to see.
I am also amazed at how many engineers and mba's are on here.
But I'm clearly undereducated to be on this board.
As for me, community college degree from hawaii - focus on IT/computer programming. Got bit by the Internet bug before
companies were even allowed to sell on the internet (at one time, there was no commercial activity allowed on the internet at all - they literally had to pass some vote before it was).
Started as a web developer and then moved on to Business Analyst with some occasional PM stuff. I think its the analytics experience mixed in with the PM background that have really helped me do well in my investing. Solving problems is what we do all day.
As for the degree though. I kinda tell people - There's 4 yr degree. There's community college. And then there's community college in Hawaii. :-)
The view from the campus was absolutely fantastic though.
As for what that little KCC degree has gotten me. A great job that I enjoy and all the key ingredients I needed (salary, reserves, etc) to pick up 18 homes and counting in the past 6 years.
And I have to say that the one quote I tend to use for how I was able to do what I've done:
"Where there's chaos, there's opportunity."
And what a great opportunity this disaster of a financial crisis we've seen has provided to some of us. I can't imagine where my investing would be right now had this not happened. The numbers just didn't make sense to me until the crash.
Civil Engineer · Orange County, CA · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 45 votes
13y
Water Resource Engineer
B.A. - Civil and Environmental Engineering
M.S. - Civil and Environmental Engineering
In my experience it is not the degree that really matter but the drive to continually learn and educate oneself that makes people successful. The most successful people I know never stop learning. It just happens that if you have that drive you sometimes get degrees along the way.