Just wondering everybody's education/background?

Just wondering everybody's education/background?

Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 26 posts · 2 votes

I was just wondering what everybody's education or background is? seems that a large percentage of you folks have some type of formal "business" or finance education, or come directly from the world of Real Estate?

I'm an engineer (Civil/Structural) from NY.

Thanks all.

1Reply
410 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
13y

My family has a history of business owners and entrepreneurs and inventors.

Went to high school and had a 96.1 GPA. My dad was killed in a car wreck my junior year so at that point had to re-evaluate my life and what direction I wanted to go. I loved learning but mainly did the school thing for him. Ended up finishing high school still in the 90's for GPA but average went down some because junior and senior year was rough to focus.

Went to college for a few years and was making A's but really was bored and didn't know what I wanted to do for a career (major). Left college after 2 years and have owned different businesses ever since. Settled on commercial real estate transacting for clients and also my own investments and wouldn't have it any other way.

What I have learned in life through the school of hard knocks is worth much more than theory taught in a class room. Many of these teachers have book knowledge but very little practical real world experience.

I have always walked my own path and do not like being confined to corporate ideals in a box. A degree or designation doesn't define a person. I believe pushing yourself everyday to learn and be the best will take you much further than many in life.

See this reply in the discussion

198 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 403 posts · 59 votes
    13y

    Have worked in the Information Technology field for pretty much half my life. Studied criminal justice but dropped out. Looking to use real estate for my retirement. We know the government or the stock market won't help me much if at all by the time I retire. Have one rental so far and looking for more.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    13y

    BS- Marine Engineering Systems (basically a mechanical degree specific to working on ships) from the US Merchant Marine Academy. Not much translates to real estate besides working with tools but the effort necessary to get through differential equations in college certainly helped my work ethic and "stick to it" attitude which is a must in real estate.

    No formal real estate education but plan on getting a license soon to get more hands on experience and better access to MLS sites and investment opportunities.

  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    13y

    Great Thread, super interesting to read.

    I have a Bachelors in Science, a Masters in Physical Therapy and a Doctorate in Physical Therapy......Cost about 250K:) Spent 5 years in that field after graduation with spare time spent buying rentals. Just under two years ago I abandoned Physical Therapy altogether and now invest full time.

    Some look at that schooling as being wasted but I learned a lot there that carries over. Plus there are some things that can ONLY happen in College!

  • Real Estate Investor · Westport, CT · Member since 2011 · 1 post · 0 votes
    13y

    Comp Sci undergrad & grad. Mathematical finance major too. Worked for 2 hedge funds after NYU. Started a partnership accounting software company 12 years ago, then joined my current company (fixed income analytics, before the bubble, 8 of the top 10 mortgage banks used to be our clients) as a equity partner.

    Started investing in real estate on the personal side a little bit more than 2 years ago. New to the field, learn by making mistakes.

  • Mike B.Pro Member
    Developer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 434 posts · 357 votes
    13y

    GED...yeah, that's it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    13y

    I have a BS in Finance from a Big Ten school. I worked a real job for just about a year before I figured out I wasn't really cut out for being told what to do and how to do it all day long. I left and started my own business and that has paved the way into my real estate investing career.

  • Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
    13y

    1. Studied Psychology and took several classes.
    2. Changed to Legal Studies and obtained a B.S.
    3. M.S. in Cybersecurity (Own a small Security consulting business)
    4. (3) Classes away from MBA should be done next year this time-frame.
    5. Continuing most likely to Law School.

    I have various courses from the Air Force to include Morse Code and Signals Analysis. Yes, I can still copy and send Morse Code!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I have worked in information technology for most of my life. But I have always been interested in making money. When I was younger I used to sell smiley balls and magazine holders on eBay. That's when I learned that people will buy anything!

  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    13y

    3 years Architecture
    Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering
    MBA

    One of the first things we learned in Engineering school was that it's not possible, aerodynamically, for a bumble bee to fly.
    But it doesn't know that, so it flies!

    Sometimes I think education is actually a hindrance in this biz.
    Good Luck Investing, Mike

  • Real Estate Broker · Whittier, CA · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Thank you all for sharing. The variety of paths taken to get to this RE business is very interesting. Myself, I have been managing 25-30 seven to ten year old students for the past twenty years. (notice there's no hair on my head anymore) Love working with students. But will, Lord willing, be coming out of the class in about two years.
    Undergrad in Criminal Justice Cal State Fullerton
    Teaching credential and Master's degree at Whittier College
    Landlord for seven years
    Broker's License
    Lifelong student( love to learn)

  • Dixon, MO · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    I have an MBA, but many investors I know have much less formal education and dramatically greater results. I think the best education is that of banging on doors and getting in the mix of things. In my case, a formal education does not seem to contribute to my success; it helps as a part of my credibility packet, but as stated, some phenomenal investors I know have little or no formal education, but I'd gladly mentor under their tutelage.

  • Rental Property Investor · Holley, NY · Member since 2011 · 507 posts · 347 votes
    11y

    I am a graduate of the School of Hard Knocks where I continue to study hard but never get a grade and will never graduate.  Throughout my career, I have always loved the stories of the "regular guy" that never went to college or never even graduated high school, but still manage to secure a small fortune for himself by being street smart.

    Here's my brief bio, along with a few lessons learned (some of which I didn't realize were lessons until years later):

    -made a few bucks a week mowing the elderly neighbors lawn

    -took over a paper route in distress, collections were months behind, nobody got their paper on time, service was horrible.  After a month, turned it around, created my own promotions on a typewriter (remember those?) and passed them out to random houses on my route, doubled my income in the first year

    -various high school jobs, racing cars, chasing girls 

    -Air Force basic training - where the lesson behind folding and refolding socks and making your bed 100 times in a morning is NOT about how to do laundry, it's about attention to details - never forgotten

    -first assignment in Germany where a higher ranking NCO taught me by being genuine that you should never be too good to do the job that you ask people under you to do

    -started my first business at 23, grew it from $ 60,000/sales year 1 to almost $ 1,000,000 in year 5.  Built a stone house on a straw foundation and it collapsed.  Lesson learned - pay attention to numbers, they never lie.  Second lesson learned - TRUST YOUR INSTINCT!  I took a $ 250,000 contract with somebody that I strongly distrusted before I even shook his hand.  In the end, I got stuck for almost 1/2 of the contract amount.

    -worked for several different construction companies in a management position, made great money, and hated every single day I had to work.  Lesson learned - do what excites you, money isn't everything.

    -started another business, starved, struggled, almost failed several times.  However, using the combination of all of the experiences above, along with a never ending desire to succeed, this time is different.  Things are starting to work out pretty well.

    Last one - when life knocks you on your a$$, stand up, brush the dust off, and keep going.  Never forget what knocked you down yesterday so that it doesn't get the chance to do it again tomorrow.

  • Jason BurrPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2012 · 161 posts · 75 votes
    11y

    I have a BA in computer science and an International MBA.  My full time job is overseeing Auxilary services, physical plant, and construction projects at a local college.  I think the biggest benefit to my education was learning how to learn.   Education without the guts to jump in doesn't get you very far. 

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    I am a writer and editor from home and spend about 70% of my time on real estate investing/ But being a decent writer helps my marketing in REI for sure.

  • Real Estate Investor · N. Charleston, SC · Member since 2014 · 43 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    No formal RE education but do have 2 Associate degrees. 

  • Eric TaitPro Member
    Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 314 posts · 146 votes
    11y

    Undergraduate degree; B.S. Biology

    Graduate degrees: M.D. -  Baylor College of Medicine

    M.B.A. - Rice University  concentration in Healthcare management and entrepreneurship

    But investing in different real estate training has been far more lucrative and will be in the long run, so has just getting out there and investing, making mistakes, picking myself up and moving along down the road.  

    I know a bunch of real estate investors without college degrees who make and are worth way more than I am financially, so it is about effective education.

  • Investor · Sunnyside, NY · Member since 2014 · 355 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    MSc in Public Administration - I can't remember anything useful but its made for an interesting career.

    I've been a buyer for a public institution for several years and have learnt invaluable lessons in negotiating and contracting to get what I want.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    Cupertino High class of 1974.... Anthony's REal estate school 1975  graduated in 60 days and got my RE license in CA 1975... Anthonys RE school Brokers exam 1977  45 days got brokers license.. since them broker in OR MS... Also Mortgage banker with MLO license out of state of Oregon.. Had been on ice last 18 months and will reactivate in March as I have a new gig I am working on that requires the license.. That and about 300 million dollars worth of RE loans and transaction between 1975 and now is my formal education.

    Been through 3 up and down cycles with of course the GFC being the most tramatic. But live to fight another day each time get somewhat smarter with each deal.. Look to surround myself with quality people.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    No formal RE education.

    Parents are buy and holders (on the side)  ~ 15 units.

    BA in American History

    MS.Ed in Urban Education (Teach For America)

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    BBA in Finance and BBA in Banking&Financial Institutions.  Worked for AT&T selling retail products and services for approx 8 years until I finally realized I've always been an entrepreneur decided to follow my heart and passion.  Here I am!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 142 votes
    11y

    BA Political Science & Art History; MA China Studies; MBA Marketing and Entrepreneurship concentrations. CA RE license a few years ago.

    Worked in journalism for a couple of years. Now do product marketing. I have a couple of projects, RE being one of them. Hopefully coming out soon with an awesome gym device!

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 57 votes
    11y

    3 yrs of college for business management.  And have been a business owner for approx 12 yrs, including starting my own, and buying 4 other businesses.  I started my own business while I was in college, it helps to make college more meaningful if you are in the field doing business while in business school.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Hi, I'm brand new to the forum, but here is my background:

    BS Finance
    MBA - general management concentration

    Just getting started in buy and hold 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 415 posts · 299 votes
    11y

    BA Political Science & English; one miserable year in Law School; MBA - Finance; and 4 year graduate studies in Theology.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets community.. Definitely take advantage of listening to the BiggerPockets Podcast, it's my favorite morning listen.

    I started off Architecture. But graduated with a B.A in Communication studies with a concentration in media studies and a minor in Business Administration..

    Also took a 3 day Seminar by Rich Dad Education (if that counts lol)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.