Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 26 posts · 2 votes
I was just wondering what everybody's education or background is? seems that a large percentage of you folks have some type of formal "business" or finance education, or come directly from the world of Real Estate?
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
13y
My family has a history of business owners and entrepreneurs and inventors.
Went to high school and had a 96.1 GPA. My dad was killed in a car wreck my junior year so at that point had to re-evaluate my life and what direction I wanted to go. I loved learning but mainly did the school thing for him. Ended up finishing high school still in the 90's for GPA but average went down some because junior and senior year was rough to focus.
Went to college for a few years and was making A's but really was bored and didn't know what I wanted to do for a career (major). Left college after 2 years and have owned different businesses ever since. Settled on commercial real estate transacting for clients and also my own investments and wouldn't have it any other way.
What I have learned in life through the school of hard knocks is worth much more than theory taught in a class room. Many of these teachers have book knowledge but very little practical real world experience.
I have always walked my own path and do not like being confined to corporate ideals in a box. A degree or designation doesn't define a person. I believe pushing yourself everyday to learn and be the best will take you much further than many in life.
Accountant · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 154 posts · 61 votes
11y
This is a neat thread! Cool to see all the different backgrounds.
BS Philosophy and Minor Business UT Austin
(Quite honestly I did the college thing for my parents and because I got a full academic scholarship I really had no interest in going to college......but looking back on it now i'm really glad I went it was an amazing 4 years)
RE License
Elementary Teaching Certification (Taught 1st grade for 5 years)
100 or so RE/Entrepreneurial books...
Like a bunch of you guys I was always an entrepreneur. My dad says he first noticed it when there was a random stranger mowing the lawn, when he asked the guy why he was at our house mowing the lawn the guy said "The kid paid me $10 to mow it". Haha I was like 6 years old and my dad gave me $20 to mow the lawn so I hired a guy off the street and made $10 to watch him mow the lawn! Eazy money! I've also owned a fleet of 15 Pedicabs in Downtown Austin for a while and several other small businesses , barbacoa sales, car washes etc....
Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
11y
BA Philosophy UT-Austin...graduated in under 10 years in the top 99% of my class.
Best friend's dad growing up bought and sold real estate. My dad bought and sold primarily the stock of tne Fortune 500 company he worked for...back in the days when a stock trade cost a considerable chunk of change. Both did well.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 209 posts · 56 votes
11y
9.5 years active duty Army, Information Technology. Tons of IT certifications. BS in Business Administration. Started a web hosting/web design business when I was 14. Did computer repair since I was 12. Owned a pro wrestling company in high school. I was always dabbling into something...
Accountant · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 3 votes
11y
I wanted to be a veterinarian so I went to school to study Biology. Senior year in college, with an acceptance to a Vet School for the fall, I was diagosed with adult onset asthma and allergies with the main trigger being animal dander...kiss that career choice goodbye!
I finished my college degree and began working in Accounting after responding to an ad in the paper. At one point, I was curious what it would be like to be a bartender so for 3 years that was my second job. After buying our home and having a less than excellent experience with our realtor, I was curious what it would be like to be a real estate agent so I took a class and that was my second job for a while. Then as I got older, (and read Rich Dad Poor Dad) I realized that I had to stop solely trading my hours for dollars. Over the years, we went on vacation and enjoyed amazing family moments. I started dreaming about having a place where families could create lifelong memories so I got curious about what it would be like to rent out a vacation property. We bought a vacation rental property on short sale and started renting it out.
Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
11y
Made it through 9th grade. Educated through the school of "hard knocks".
The biggest financial revelation in my life came though a person with an 8th grade education. He could not spell but could do anything mechanically. He owned apartments, trailer parks, and commercial office.
I started reading books and buying apartments. Within 3 years, I was able to quit my job.
I am surprised that there are so many well educated people here. Impressive...
Clarksburg, MD · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 2 votes
11y
High School (2002) Army(2001-present) Respiratory Therapy School (2002-2003) BS Biology (2007) MD (2011) General Surgery Residency (2011-present)
No previous real-estate experience, but I was an ardent non-professional student of investing since I read Security Analysis back in 2006. Have decided to look for ways outside of equity to invest (as I'm having a hard time finding bargains at the moment), also I like working with my hands.
Investor · Pflugerville, TX · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 19 votes
11y
I was always hustling. I mowed lawn , did chores for the neighbors, and my parents for money that I saved. When I was 15 I lied about my age and got a w2 job at a video store so I could get paid and rent movies for free. I'm a high school drop out, had good grades in honors classes but didn't show up to school enough to get credit for them. I have always had multiple jobs 2-3 at a time. I've done everything from landscaping, to restaurants, construction, warehouse work, grocery stores. But I was always good with cars, I started fixing cars out of necessity, than became a mechanic full time, where I flipped cars on the side. Which I used to buy my first home ( a abandoned former rental property)in the early 2000's. Which I house hacked, while rehabbing. I turned it into a rental and then slowed down because I started having kids and my w2 job became demanding for a couple of years. Now I've had time to catch up on sleep I'm ready to hustle again
Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 5 votes
11y
Hello BP Community!
I grew up in West Philadelphia where I had a landscaping business with my brother and Father. Its great to see that a lot of us have the same mindset! I recently graduated from Carnegie Mellon Univ. with an Engineering degree and currently work at an IT consulting firm in Washington, DC. I have experience working in the construction, finance, and oil industries as well as intermediate project management, economics, and Spanish skills.
I am excited to be on here and look forward to contributing!
High School (2002) Army(2001-present) Respiratory Therapy School (2002-2003) BS Biology (2007) MD (2011) General Surgery Residency (2011-present)
No previous real-estate experience, but I was an ardent non-professional student of investing since I read Security Analysis back in 2006. Have decided to look for ways outside of equity to invest (as I'm having a hard time finding bargains at the moment), also I like working with my hands.
Welcome to BiggerPockets, Robert. I imagine it's pretty rare for an Army enlisted man to make it to MD. Good job!
Mansfield, TX · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
11y
Hello Everyone-
Currently I am a high school guidance counselor and am working towards my professional counseling license. I have been in education for the last 15 years and those kids keep me young!
Currently I'm at the beginning of my real estate journey.
Currently I am a high school guidance counselor and am working towards my professional counseling license. I have been in education for the last 15 years and those kids keep me young!
Currently I'm at the beginning of my real estate journey.
Longwood, FL · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 1 vote
11y
Retired Firefighter, then retired teacher, now professional Marionette Puppeteer. Three degrees= PreLaw, Fire Chemistry and Education. Zero knowledge of Real Estate. Thank God for Bigger Pockets!!
Tujunga, CA · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 48 votes
11y
I started saving my allowence to buy candy in bulk and re-sell it to my classmates when I was 10.
When I was 16 I wanted to be in a band but couldnt afford instruments or lessons. So I did anything I could to be around music, which was live sound. I started doing parties and small shows. I found my way into recording studios with bands and was hooked.
After high school I decided to give it a shot and skip college. I saw my brother paying back student loans and I was not interested in that! I got a job at a recording studio answering the phones, and worked my way up to engineer in a year.
When I was 21 I borrowed 25k (on credit cards!!!) to open my own recording studio out of my house. I later moved it to a different location.
I worked full time and then ran the studio as a side job. Right after I turned 25, I landed the job of my dreams. I shut down the business so I could have a steady income and buy a house, which I treated as a live in flip. I planned to reopen the biz but I never did :(
Real Estate Investor · Leucadia, CA · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 18 votes
11y
Started as a general contractor then found myself working on a lot of mobile and manufactured homes and had to get a Manufactured Home Contractor's license. Soon after I found myself working in the aftermath of the '94 Northridge Earthquake whence it became incumbant on me to remove and store an inordinate amount of damaged manufactured homes and since I had the only 10 acre construction yard in Simi Valley I was asked by insurance companies and FEMA to store them on my property.
I soon found myself offing them to dealers from Mexico and ranchers from the Central Valley and because I was selling them the State required me to obtain my California Manufactured Home Dealers license which I continue to hold to this day.
Finally when we started moving our operations into resident owned manufactured home developments on new development projects I was required to obtain my RE Brokers licensed because I was buying and selling real estate along with installing the new manufactured homes.
So as you can see I actually backed into most if not all of my credentials by default. However, now after 30 years in the Manufactured Home Industry I have also defaulted into the world of consulting, trouble shooting and expert witness assignments where I've worked with governmental and private citizens and organizations.
I've subsequenty turned the day to day operations of my biz over to one of my sons and am now in land acquisition and car wash development. Far afield from Manufactured Homes I know. But I had an opportunity to get involved with an old high school friend of mine on a Nationwide car wash franchise. So I'll probably live out my days in this new and exciting arena trying to build and own as many car washes that I can afford in order to generate the type of passive income that will keep my lovely wife and I in the lifestyle to which we've grown accustomed.
Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 517 posts · 106 votes
11y
I probably have the weirdest combination of all...
Formal education:
Real Estate License at age 19 but couldn't afford annual dues, didn't understand that you made no money unless you actually sold a property. Listed several properties with Century 21 and then returned to college for a Business degree.
B.S. in Business Administration -worked in accounting for many years after graduation
M.A. in Counseling- returned to college determined that "people" were more important than making lots of money
Ph.D in Family Therapy- yes became a therapist. Opened private practice counseling married couples.
College Professor -currently teaching college but realize that money is important if I want to have the retirement of my dreams (Beach Life please!)