Just wondering everybody's education/background?

Just wondering everybody's education/background?

Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 26 posts · 2 votes

I was just wondering what everybody's education or background is? seems that a large percentage of you folks have some type of formal "business" or finance education, or come directly from the world of Real Estate?

I'm an engineer (Civil/Structural) from NY.

Thanks all.

1Reply
450 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
13y

My family has a history of business owners and entrepreneurs and inventors.

Went to high school and had a 96.1 GPA. My dad was killed in a car wreck my junior year so at that point had to re-evaluate my life and what direction I wanted to go. I loved learning but mainly did the school thing for him. Ended up finishing high school still in the 90's for GPA but average went down some because junior and senior year was rough to focus.

Went to college for a few years and was making A's but really was bored and didn't know what I wanted to do for a career (major). Left college after 2 years and have owned different businesses ever since. Settled on commercial real estate transacting for clients and also my own investments and wouldn't have it any other way.

What I have learned in life through the school of hard knocks is worth much more than theory taught in a class room. Many of these teachers have book knowledge but very little practical real world experience.

I have always walked my own path and do not like being confined to corporate ideals in a box. A degree or designation doesn't define a person. I believe pushing yourself everyday to learn and be the best will take you much further than many in life.

See this reply in the discussion

198 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Hi everyone, I'm a MB Technician working at the dealership roughly over 2 years. I was an intern there and once I graduated the dealership want to hire me as a full time technician. I have no real estate back ground but I just got my offer accepted couple weeks ago, we're at the apprasial phrase of the process and one more week than I'm officially home owner! 

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    History undergraduate, Juris Doctorate in Law.  Grew up poor, dad was a minister and sometimes missionary.  He was always looking at get rich quick schemes.  He usually bought very cheap houses then we fixed them up.  We would often sell them to cover loses from other projects, usually horses, then find another house and fix it up.  I began working away from home at 13 years, lived on my own when I was 16, finished high school living on my own.  I drove tractor, broke horses, hauled hay, jockeyed for 6 or 7 years during race season, pumped gas for many years on the side, painted houses, did many handyman jobs, worked some construction, derrick hand on oil rigs, etc.  Took 10 years to get my college degrees as I usually was only able to afford 1 semester a year.  Had to take loans out for law school.

        First thing I learned about business was that owning horses always lost you money and owning real estate made you money.  I have done a lot of joint ventures and mostly learned from watching other folks.  I own a little commercial, a small amount of multi, and over a dozen SFRs.  I am currently a County Attorney.  I love my job but the stress can get to you.  Some cases kind of bruise your soul a little bit.   Oh I am also a volunteer fireman for 26 years.  I want to be able to finally live for fun not work.  Married for 34 years 2 kids with college degrees and good jobs.  

        I spent the last few days putting a roof on a house, caught a bad cold so get to be on the computer for a day or 2.  Happy Easter.

  • Philly Burbs, PA · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 133 votes
    11y

    Dropped out of high school as soon as I turned 16. (I loved reading, math, science, and history. But no way was I playing "Mother May I" with a bunch of dumb "F")

    Worked as a mechanic, millwright, heavy equipment operator (Family thing for generations).

    Ended up as VP of Operations for an Engineering/Construction company that designed and installed industrial/municipal waste-water treatment equipment.

    Went on my own quite a few years ago. Mostly rigging, but I really don't turn down any opportunity to make a buck.

  • Middletown, DE · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Hello, I am new to BP.  Investing in real estate has always been my dream.  I have worked as a Legal Assistant most of my life.  My education is BS in Criminal Justice, and an MPA.

    I am relocating from Oregon to Delaware area in July 2015.  I am originally from Philadelphia and my family is in the NJ, PA, DE area.  I am planning on investing in the Delaware area and I am interested in flipping and building consistent cash flow from rentals.

    My home in Oregon has sold and the closing is this month so when I go back east, I will be ready to buy an investment.  I have a place to live so will not need to buy a home for myself right now.

    I am wondering about financing?  Of course I think I should hold onto as much cash as possible but should I buy my first property as a residence per se and flip or rent to get the best financing.  Also, if anyone is familiar with the area and can point me to an up and coming location, I would be thankful for that insight and whatever connections you can provide.

    Thanks!

  • Veterinarian · Leesburg, VA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Great thread! 

    Horse veterinarian. Much like @Jerry W., I long ago figured out that horses don't exactly make money. Regardless, I picked the right career and love most minutes of it. 

    So, on to other ways to produce income. Somehow I lucked out enough to stumble onto BiggerPockets and have learned huge amounts already. 

  • Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 129 votes
    11y

    I have nine years of college, three degrees (BA English, JD and MA) , for a grand total of $250.000.00  One of my college classmates recently figured it up that if we had just skipped out on school and invested our tuition money in Apple Stock we'd be worth somewhere around 5-8 million.  I do wish I had at least invested my room and board money in a condo.  

  • Aaron HowellBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Crozet, VA · Member since 2014 · 436 posts · 223 votes
    11y

    Pharmacist

    Story House Real Estate529 Reviews
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Didn't go to college as I started as a unlicensed RE assistant at 17 - got licensed at 21 (when legally allowed in my state) no formal education besides a few CC classes.

    I thought about going back in my mid 20's and am very glad I didn't 

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego. CA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    I met a designer when I was 18. At the time DC Shoe's had a clothing brand and snowboard company attached to. This designer was the Creative Director of all 3 brands. I began to learn to design clothes while in college and got offered a job in 2000 with a skate company. Later I moved to LA. Worked, freelanced  and consulted for many companies. Was Senior Men's Designer of action sports brand Called Ezekiel. I was a stylist for music videos for Def Jam, a fashion editor (when they use to print magazines), a speaker at art/fashion schools and a host for fashion related panels and events. 

    I started a youtube channel in 2011 to help other with their start-up clothing companies. As this posts I have over 150 videos and over 6K subscribers. 

    As for real estate, I owned a condo from 2004-2007. I staged it and sold it in a week (with 2 other identical units that had been on the market over a month). I had my (California) real estate license. Then I met an investor who had operated fine without it and since my license has lapsed.

    Now in my late 30's, I continue to design, develop apparel, freelance and consult but really want to immerse myself in real estate investing.

  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Hello 

    *2 semesters of community college

    *Started an apparel business in 2011 which I still own today.

    *P&C license in 2011 aka insurance agent. Now I am in the top 1% of written premium in the country for sales agents. 

    *2015 Licensed Realtor 

  • New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Adam Dorn 

    -I graduated with a BS in Marketing from Syracuse University. 

    -Went onto the partnership marketing world for an energy supply company in Philadelphia. -Worked for a property management company

    -Currently the marketing director @Mike Hammett!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    BS in Finance and International Business

    MBA in Finance

    Currently work 9-5 in Finance

  • Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    I grew up with parents and grandparents who were in Real Estate (either investors or Realtors/Brokers). I have a Bachelors in Electronics Engineering and a Realtors license (basic classes and licensing requirements). 

    The licensing process gave me a lot of insight into the Real Estate world. Because of my previous experience with investing, I was the annoying person in class that asked way too many questions. Especially when the teacher would say 'you'll never use this, but you have to know it anyway' ...and I'd break in with 'when it comes to investing this is actually really important'

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 80 votes
    11y

    2 years community college AS in biology

    school of hard knocks

  • Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2015 · 233 posts · 135 votes
    11y

    BS Computer sciense and math.

    25 Years enterpenur.

    8 years accidental landlord ... New to REI.

  • Real Estate Investor · Leucadia, CA · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    OK, so where are we going with all this? Just curious.

  • Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I have an associates of science in environmental science and am working towards a bachelors of environmental engineering. I have been a certified wildernesses emergency medical technician. I am a self learner and believer of the paideia philosophy and have self educated via my copious reading habit. I'm starting  the process of becoming a licensed realtor in Tennessee for now. 

    Please see my first post in the intro section to learn more about myself my main focus as a technology entrepreneur and my goals. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 79 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    I've worked in the financial industry, legal industry and with the Federal Government doing contracts.

    Education: B.S. in Finance and a J.D.

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Hello,

    I like this thread. I have a BS in Criminal Justice, an MBA with an HR Concentration, a Masters in Management and I'm  former Army officer. Started my real estate investing education about 4 months ago. Have binged on books, podcasts and Youtube videos regarding all things real estate and still fill like I have a lifetime of education before me. Enjoying the ride though.

  • Contractor · Blackfoot, ID · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    I feel a little inadequate here.

    Be here you go:

    High School dropout

    I went to a homeshow at the college once, but otherwise that was the extent of my college experience

    Army National Guard (currently at 21 years. and 2 tours in Iraq)

    Started a restaurant hood cleaning business in 2007 and sold in 2011.

    lost money on a vending business in 2009 ( but the guy went to jail)

    Have been studying real estate for about 5 years, and my wife and I are currently engaged in our first deal on a duplex (we will be "house hacking"). Which I hope to put in the "success" portion of this site, when its done.

    Currently a Journeyman Service Plumber for high end homes in Gallatin Valley, and the Yellowstone Club.

  • Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Hi,

    I'm new to the forum as well.  This is my first post  :)

    I have a BS and an MS in Chemical Engineering.  Currently in the oil and gas industry, with 5 years of experience as a Drilling Engineer and 1 year as a Reservoir Engineer (current role). 

    I've been looking into real estate pretty heavily as of late, and I'm hoping to purchase my first rental property within the next couple of months. 

  • Investor · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2011 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    It's interesting to read all kinds of backgrounds from everyone's posts.

    Here're mine: BA Business and Economics, MBA

  • Real Estate Agent · Austell, GA · Member since 2014 · 232 posts · 74 votes
    11y

    BA in pre-law/political science

    real estate salesperson license

    8 years Real estate paralegal experience

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    I have a bachelors in economic from allegheny college in 02. I've been involved in family business and entrepreneurship since my teens. I used to own a remodeling franchise and I've also worked in retail management. Been involved with Real Estate since 2013 part time. Ramping up to make it full time now. Also going through the licensing process. Hope this helps! Brandon
  • Real Estate Investor · Leucadia, CA · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    Mike Baker, you da MAN!  Luv your heart n soul!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.