New member - Charlotte - Retail NNN investor

New member - Charlotte - Retail NNN investor

Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2012 · 42 posts · 10 votes

I am so glad to have found this website! Its great to see all the discussions and strategies used by successful investors :)

I am an software engineer by the day and dabble with real estate in the night over the last few years. Initially started out with SFH flip, but now much more comfortable with NNN retail investing. I also do real estate investments overseas primarily in India, with land development and buy/hold properties. Though I am an US citizen, I do end up spending a lot of time in India these days.

I also have some questions on Solo 401k, on whether income generated by my LLC could be sheltered using a new Solo 401k or not? Basically, within a month I would be outright owning a property which can produce around 40-50K income per year, but property would only show around 12K depreciation. If I allow this income to pass through to me, it would greatly reduce my returns. I am trying to see if there are ways to contribute this income towards a tax sheltered account that I could use for real estate investment purposes. Note I did not buy this property through a self directed IRA, as none of my IRAs had that much of cash :)

Thanks!
G S

0Reply
9 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Ganesh - welcome to BiggerPockets! It's great that you have some history with NNN leases - cause it's not one of the more well-known investing methods so I'm sure you can offer great insight!

    As for your question - I have no clue! If you don't get a good answer here in the "new member introduction" you might want to try posting it in another forum category to get more eyeballs.

    Thanks again for joining BP!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    Hi Ganesh and welcome to BP!!

    As to your question that is definitely an accountant question. Charles Perkins and Steven Hamilton on here are both accountants and investors in real estate so that might could help contacting them for using the search feature or posting in the taxes section.

    As far as NNN investing goes I am a commercial broker that specializes in it as well as multifamily nationwide. I would like to hear about current NNN properties you own and type and return generated.

    If you have any NNN related questions just ask. When you get a chance you might want to upload your profile pic to put a face with your name and fill out your profile in detail so others can get to know you.

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
    13y

    I did some search on NNN office condos before. It looked as if the income was good, but couldn't see huge appreciation in the near future. Maybe I was looking at wrong thing in wrong place.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    The purpose of triple net is not massive annual rent bumps for appreciation in cash flow.

    You can get certain 1% to 3% bumps for certain products.

    If you want massive yield then you look at something like multifamily. Multifamily is much more intensive with management. A triple net buyer is typically a landlord exiting multifamily and just wants mailbox money or someone who is a really busy professional with high income that wants no headaches. They are tired of the stock market or bank CD yields and want the money to work a little harder but not too much where the risk is increased.

    So I have investors that love different things for different reasons. Many NNN deals are sheltering taxes more than anything.

  • Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2012 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Joel Owens, Brandon Turner, Xing Zhu Thanks for your warm welcome.

    @Joel - I currently own retail condos in Charlotte that yield a bit above 10%. It has been pretty good so far with less mgmt over the last few years. However once in a while (once in 3-4 years) things need to be closely monitored due to a non-paying tenant, lease negotiations, refinance etc.

    I will post to the tax sub-forum to see if I can Get Charles/Steven to answer. Thanks for the pointers!

    Thanks
    GS

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.