New Investor/Agent in Washington, DC (DMV) Someone Hit the Reset Button Please!

New Investor/Agent in Washington, DC (DMV) Someone Hit the Reset Button Please!

Involved In Real Estate · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 0 votes

Hello – My name is Bryan Stacy, I’m 32, originally from Chicago, but moved to DC a couple years ago. DC was supposed to be just a stop before I moved elsewhere, but as it turns out…I kind of like this place and all its craziness.

I did a couple flips when I lived back in Chicago, and used the money to buy a condo of my own around 2007. The plan was to rehab & expand the condo, live in it for a couple years and sell it. Instead I got snarled in the city permitting process, crushed by the changing financing market, found myself on both sides of different lawsuits with architects, contractors and the condo association. WHEW!

6 years later, and many lessons learned (and $ lost) I’m ready to get back after it in DC. Why?

Call me hard headed, but it took cancer to realize it. Last year I was diagnosed with testicular cancer which became an inflection point for me. (see: www.onebignut.com for more info) During chemo I talked with a partner of mine I worked with in Chicago. We both talked about the hard work, long hours, big mistakes, but total satisfaction we had when doing flips in Chicago.

Fact is:
I love looking at real estate: When I look at buildings, I can’t help but think “how could I make this better?” or “what better purpose could this building serve?”.

I love talking about real estate: No matter what business someone is in, they’re always curious about real estate. I can’t think of a more common interest with a broader group of people.

I love to solve problems: I’ve been a management and strategy consultant for almost 10 years. I’ve been helping our government and other clients solve problems for the duration of that time. I’m ready to do the same thing for people who need it regarding real estate. I like the idea of being rewarded according to the problem I’m solving.

I’m 50% Polish: So I love getting a deal

My high-level goals for real estate are simple:
1. Work as an agent part time to build up cash reserves

2. Become an expert in the DC market and build problem solving tools along the way

3. Stop renting: Purchase an income producing property that I can also live in

4. Start working full-time in real estate (sales and investing)

5. Find the right balance between flipping and holding properties

I’ve already checked out the bigger pockets podcasts, so if the information here is anything like that, I’m really looking forward to receiving and contributing. Thanks for providing this great platform!

I’d like to mess up less than I did last time, so I have a lot of questions! All help and answers are appreciated. See you in the forums!

0Reply
24 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    Hi Bryan and welcome to Bigger Pockets. Yes a ton of information exists here.

    I am not a rehabber nor do I plan to be. There are plenty of rehabbers on here you can connect with. Just use the keyword search tool at the top right.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP Nation. I am a rehabber so ask away in the forums when you have questions and mention me so I can answer for you.

    Stay active on the site.

    Will

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Bryan Stacy welcome to the site! Looks like you've got quite the story (sorry about the Cancer - that sucks! )Glad you've checked out the Podcasts already! Is that how you found BiggerPockets?

    A few more places to check out:

    1.) Check out our "Start Here" page
    2.) Check out "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing."

    Also, be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts for some of the topics you are knowledgeable about, or other topics that interest you (like wholesale, DC, Rehab, etc ) so you'll be notified that those words were mentioned in the forums and can jump into those conversations! It's also an awesome way to meet new people from your area when they introduce themselves to this forum!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Bryan Stacy Welcome to BP. You've lived life - most just exist... Go get em.

    I am not a flipper, but those other guys are Aces. If you want to talk apartments, then throw me a line. Good luck!!!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Washington DC, Washington D.C. · Member since 2013 · 42 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    @Bryan Stacy hey Bryan I'm new to the forum but came across your post I'm a DC agent working mostly with Sellers and Investors and wanted to know if you are still in the market to do rehabs. If so I would like to network with you on this I'm based on Capitol Hill. I see very nice opportunities that I would like to discuss with you if your in the market.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    @Bryan Stacy hey and welcome to Bigger Pockets! I had no idea being 50% Polish is why I like getting a good deal! Thanks for letting me know! :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.