New investor in Bryan/College Station, TX

New investor in Bryan/College Station, TX

College Station, TX (college station) · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Hello! My name is Rijul Chauhan and I'm currently a Ph.D. Student Studying Nuclear Engineering and Physics at Texas A&M University. I have some experience in running and investing in Tech Startups, but now I am looking to diversify by getting started with Real Estate investing. So far House hacking multi-families and Fix & Flips seem like a good way to get started. What do y'all think? I'm still in the reading/learning phase, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

3Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Rijul Chauhan house hacking is a great way to start here in College Station. The rental market is strong. We're one of only a few markets that have seen an increase in occupancy and an increase in rental rates in 2020. Feel free to DM me, there are a few great house hack options on the market now.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Montgomery County, PA · Member since 2020 · 255 posts · 238 votes
    5y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Rijul Chauhan! College Station/Bryan is a great market to be in (My sister and her SO both go to A&M and love the area). Keep learning as much as you can before making any investments but I'd definitely consider house hacking as a good starting point! Good luck in your investing!

  • Realtor · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 60 votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP!! I recommend looking deep into your market and the specific strategies that can work or not work within that market. Do you have a good agent to reach out to? They can supply good information such as sales comparisons, rent comparisons, and an overall opinion on specific neighborhoods. Here in Columbus it's important to know which neighborhoods are hot and which are not, tenant quality is always a worry for investors. Remember your 1% Rule and stay discipline with your numbers! Best of luck and again, welcome to BP!! 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP Rijul!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Rijul Chauhan:

    Hello! My name is Rijul Chauhan and I'm currently a Ph.D. Student Studying Nuclear Engineering and Physics at Texas A&M University. I have some experience in running and investing in Tech Startups, but now I am looking to diversify by getting started with Real Estate investing. So far House hacking multi-families and Fix & Flips seem like a good way to get started. What do y'all think? I'm still in the reading/learning phase, so any advice would be much appreciated!

    Thank you!

     Welcome! It is important that you research a lot! More importantly, you need to take the first step and buy something. I bought a duplex before I new anything about real estate investing. I started off with 2 doors here in Columbus and now I am up to 27

  • College Station, TX (college station) · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Remington Lyman! I plan on doing the same. How did you go about finding your first deal?

  • College Station, TX (college station) · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Alex Uman Thank you!

  • College Station, TX (college station) · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Abe McLaurin I have yet to find an agent to work with. Any tips on finding a good agent that works with new investors? Also, college station (like the name suggests) is a college town. I do worry a little about the tenant quality. What are your thoughts about renting out to college students?

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Rijul Chauhan house hacking is a great way to start here in College Station. The rental market is strong. We're one of only a few markets that have seen an increase in occupancy and an increase in rental rates in 2020. Feel free to DM me, there are a few great house hack options on the market now.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Rijul Chauhan:

    Thanks @Remington Lyman! I plan on doing the same. How did you go about finding your first deal?

     I worked with a Realtor. She was a random person that my lender referred me to. She was not great at working with investors but she was an extra on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

    She did find me this amazing 4 unit on my second deal though.

  • David SchmiedicheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · College Station, TX · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    Hey Rijul!

    Congratulations on taking the steps to invest in your future through real estate! I'm a realtor in the College Station Area and work primarily with investors. To answer some of your questions

    1. What are our thoughts on house hacking: House Hacking is one of the best ways to start your real estate journey especially in College Station! Continue learning as much as you can to be prepared to invest once you have the capital.

    2. How to go about finding your first deal: The first step is to find a realtor to work with. They will be able to answer all of the questions you have and keep you updated with the great deals that hit the market. Second, know your criteria and never stray from it. Lastly, be ready to jump on the right deal when it comes. Great deals won't last long and waiting even a day can be long enough to lose the deal.

    3. Tenant Quality in a College Town: Tenant quality in a College Town is always going to be a concern. The biggest thing to do is to make sure that they have a qualified guarantor or cosigner. Repairs are also going to be slightly more and make sure to calculate this into your numbers when looking for properties!

    Hopefully, this helps answer some of your questions! One more thing I would recommend is getting the book "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" This book opened my eyes to real estate investing and was the single greatest resource besides a mentor to getting started. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to reach out! You can Google my name and find all of my contact information.

    Sincerely,

    David Schmiediche

    Realtor

    Keller Williams Realty Brazos Valley522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Streetman, TX · Member since 2018 · 527 posts · 495 votes
    5y

    @Rijul Chauhan

    Welcome to BP! I purchased my first duplex from a A&M Grad student. He was house hacking while attending classes. He lived in one side and rented the other side. I’m sure the rental income was enough to cover his mortgage.

    Johnny Horton from NextHome is my agent in BCS. He knows the area and is investor friendly.

  • College Station, TX (college station) · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @David Schmiediche That's very helpful, Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.