Hello from Newport News (Hampton Roads), Virginia!

Hello from Newport News (Hampton Roads), Virginia!

Wholesaler · Newport News, VA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 12 votes

My name is Jason Rhine and I am a 25-year-old enlisted in the USAF at Langley AFB. My wife and I own our single-family home through a VA loan. My goal is to have a cashflow statement showing a passive cashflow equal to or greater than my expenses within ten years. I am eager to find opportunities, partners, mentors, or even acquaintances and Bigger Pockets seems like an excellent medium for doing so.

I eagerly look forward to participating in this community!

0Reply
12 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
    13y

    Hi Jason Rhine,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

    You're at the right place. You'll find a lot of talent here on BP. Jump in and ask whatever you like.

    Continued success!

  • Paul CoxPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 156 votes
    13y

    Hi Jason,

    I retired from the Air Force last September and really wish I had taken a serious look at this when I was your age. Welcome and hopefully we'll be learning a lot of this at the same time. Good luck and God Speed

    Paul

  • Wholesaler · Newport News, VA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    Thank you Marco and Paul. I have only been a member for minutes and I'm already meeting interesting people; this is quite exciting to me!

  • Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets Jason!

    I'm sure you'll find plenty here that matches what you're "Currently Seeking;" from your profile. Cheers!

  • Real Estate Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 562 posts · 109 votes
    13y

    Hey Jason Rhine, welcome to BP tons of information and great information here on BP. I am also in Hampton and investing (Buy and hold) in Newport News.

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 449 posts · 173 votes
    13y

    Jason Rhine - Welcome to BP, Jason! I used to live not far from you, in Norfolk, for a little while in my early twenties. Lots of my friends were in Newport News, and we often hung out there. Good memories!
    We have similar goals of reaching financial independence within around 10 years. I'm coming up on 3 years in. I think it's an achievable goal with persistence. Are you looking to invest mostly in buy and hold?

  • Real Estate Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2011 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Jason Rhine Welcome! I think you've got the right idea. Great opportunity to achieve your goal while in the AF by capitalizing on owner occupant financing and then holding the property as a rental when you transfer. Rinse and repeat.

    As a guy in the Navy for 20 yrs I wish I had your mature insight at your age.

    Mike

  • Real Estate Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 243 posts · 24 votes
    13y

    Welcome! Glad to have you!! Let me know if I can be of assistance in any way. (I am new to BP too- smile)

  • Wholesaler · Newport News, VA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    Thank you all for the welcome, everybody seems as eager as I am to network and meet people.

    Andrea M. and Harry M., I am definitely focused on buy and hold. Even more specifically, I am targeting multiplexes, although I doubt that I would turn my nose up from a good deal single family home.

    Hans Restuccia, am I to understand that you are looking to provide hard money loans? Forgive my ignorance, but today is the first time I even heard about this concept. I am afraid I don't fully understand it; could you please give me an example or an easy explanation?

  • Wholesaler · Newport News, VA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    Apparently I also do not know how to tag people that I'm responding to with "@". Could anyone please help me out?

  • Real Estate Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 562 posts · 109 votes
    13y

    Tagging -Press @ start typing the persons name and your choices will show up , select person of choice

  • Wholesaler · Newport News, VA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    Andrea, thank you but apparently that function will not work on my tablet. This is quite unfortunate.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Jason Rhine welcome to BiggerPockets! Here's a good tutorial about using the @mention feature:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/1/blog_posts/20337-at-mentions-come-to-biggerpockets

    Also- Be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts for some of the topics you are knowledgeable about, or other topics that interest you (like wholesale, Virginia, Rehab, etc ) so you'll be notified that those words were mentioned in the forums and can jump into those conversations! It's also an awesome way to meet new people from your area when they introduce themselves to this forum!

  • Fukuoka, Fukuoka · Member since 2012 · 148 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    Jason Rhine, no, it doesn't work on a tablet...frustrating, isn't it???

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.