Brand new and looking for advice ! MA and NH area

Brand new and looking for advice ! MA and NH area

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi all, I've been recommended to come to this site for some information and advice. 

I wrote this whole thing and realized i never wrote a intro post.

I'm Cameran, im 26. 
I do not own any properties 

My goals and reason for coming to this site is to provide my father with a place to live through retirement and build myself a income from rental properties. 

Following is why I'm here- i apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong place. 

Right now I live with my father, who is 61 and is getting old. He has done contracting his whole life ( siding/windows/bathrooms/roofing etc for 40 years ) . He has nothing saved for retirement . No pension, no 401k, no IRA , no secret stash under the bed . Zero. He had mentioned selling me his house while hinting at him being able to stay here. Well I don't want to have my father live with me the rest of my life but I refuse to not find a way to help him.

Right now he owes 110k on this house, which is worth roughly 300k. If I were to buy this house at what he owes, I would have about 200k in equity right off the bat. But why would he do that that seems dumb right ? Well he's getting old and wont be able to work like he used to and will be living off what little SS he gets and he'll probably have to get a part time job. That's were I think I can benefit him and myself greatly. 

If I use that equity for a down payment on a multi-family property , a tri or quadplex. In theory I could put him in that house at no cost to him and with the right deal still make money. He benefits from having a place to live for the rest of his life without having to pay for housing. What id ask of him is to take care of the property - cut grass, paint or whatever task may come up, until he gets to old for that obviously.  

I do understand I would have to wait before trying to take out equity in the house but this already a lot,  so explaining timelines as well is just another added confusion. I'm going with 1 property per year giving a full 12 months between trying to apply for loans/lines of credit etc. So buy this house, wait a year for the one for my father. But with that being said I should have enough equity in the house to purchase another multi family property for cashflow, with the intent to continue the trend of buying properties. 

I know I definitely need an accounted, lawyer and real estate agent .

My biggest hurtle of all of this is going to be convincing my father that this will work. In theory I know it can work.   He's doesn't like the idea of dealing with tenants or people, not that he would be he'll be afraid this will fail because of something out of our control. I'm not scared, i'm willing to make this work because frankly I don't want to be him in 40 years. 

 I'm looking for some people who may have done something similar or owns property that could show me the numbers of how it works so I can show him when I approach him about this whole thing that it can work. Also if anyone has advice , I'd glady take that too.

Thank you very much if you took the time to read this whole thing, I appreciate it . 

-Cam 

0Reply
13 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Manchester, NH · Member since 2017 · 149 posts · 103 votes
    5y

    Hi Cam - there's a lot to digest from this post, but I'll start off by saying you definitely have your 'why' nailed down. To want to provide for your dad while at the same time aiming to not be in the same situation as he is down the road is very pro-active of you.  You are certainly in the right place to learn how to use real estate as a vehicle to do that, but sometimes it is tough to get your family on board with your plan. I'm assuming you listen to the bp podcasts as well?  If you stumble across a good one that touches on a similar plan to what you are trying to accomplish, maybe see if your Dad would be willing to listen to it as well.  

    Have you attended any networking events to start to develop relationships?  You will definitely be able to find investors who have already accomplished what you're trying to do, as well as lenders, attorneys, agents, etc that could all potentially help you get to where you need to go.  Many are virtual these days, but some are meeting up in person. Check the Network>Events tab for some options.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Jessica Stevenson Thank you for reading and responding , I knew it was a lot to read and i appreciate it. 

    I'm a newer listening so I'm sure I'll come across something i can share with him. Thats and excellent idea idea BTW. 

    I will have to look into that events tabs .

    Thank you !

  • Real Estate Agent · Salem, NH · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 34 votes
    5y

    @Cameran Binette

    Message me I did exactly what you are trying to do successfully with my father I have tons of insight.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Ramos

    I sent you a message !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.