Newbie - Looking to House Hack in Northeast Ohio

Newbie - Looking to House Hack in Northeast Ohio

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Hello,

I am relatively new to the idea of real estate investing. My girlfriend and I recently started doing a lot of researching in to the idea and lifestyle and we have a goal of being financially independent within 5 years and "retired" within 10-15. We believe our best course of action to get started is house hacking.

We currently live in Northeast Ohio and would like to stay there for the time being, but are not 100% opposed to moving in the future. I'm trying to do as much research as possible, but figured I would post in here to get some insight from you all. Any tips, strategies, plans, recommended readings/viewings, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I guess i'm kinda just looking for some basic guidance. We are both pretty intelligent people, and good with numbers. My girlfriend (of 5.5 years) just made a career switch and is getting her real estate license next month and has already signed with a broker in the area. I have an alright job and make around 45k a year before taxes. We have a little credit card debt that we are paying off and should be paid off soon. (Roughly 5k left, we've been paying about 1k a month off) Our credit scores should be in the low to mid 700s by the end of the year by our estimates.


If there is other information that is needed, please let me know. As I said, i'm pretty new to this idea (been looking into real estate for all of like 2 or 3 months), and I guess we're kinda looking for some help or direction on how to get started. Listening to the bigger pockets podcast, they have said just to go on here and post and that the community here is very helpful, so thought I'd give it a go.

Appreciate any help and thank you in advance!

3Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chad RockeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 383 posts · 181 votes
    5y

    Hey @Zack Phoenix

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! You have hit the JACKPOT of resources for real estate investors. You can literally find answers to all of your questions within the confines of this site. What’s the best way to get started using BiggerPockets?

    1.Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

    2.Attend the FREE WEBINARS

    3.Attend a Meetup in Your Area / virtual meet ups

    4.Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy

    5.Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer Questions! If you are consistent with learning real estate over the next 4-6 months, you’ll be ready to purchase your first (or next) property in NO TIME!

    Good luck,

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Hi @Chad Rocke,

    Appreciate the feedback. I registered for a webinar and I listen to the biggerpockets podcast on iheart (I didn't know there were different ones, i'll check those out). I own 2 of the books you mentioned, among others, but not "Set for Life", i'll have to look into that one, thanks!

    I'll definitely have to look into meet ups as well. Is there a place where I can find these listed or anything?

    We are definitely all in on this lifestyle and I have been reading and absorbing as much material as possible, in addition to watching youtube videos and analyzing deals on the regular.

    At the moment, we are working to pay off the rest of the credit cards and getting our credit up so we can qualify for an FHA loan and get approved for a decent amount. After that we're going to just be saving for a down payment (we will also be checking out down payment assistance options as well).

    We're definitely looking for a multifamily property to house hack in the near future, likely late this year/early 2022 (our lease on our townhome is up in September and we were planning on going month to month until we find a place). In the mean time, other than just research, learning, and saving, is there anything else you'd recommend?

    I feel a bit like this is the calm before the storm haha but we would like to get the ball moving sooner rather than later, so any advice from people is appreciated. I don't want to miss out on things I should be doing now that would make it easier or more successful down the road, you know?

    Thanks again and I appreciate any help from anybody on here. Especially if there is anyone in the area



  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Zack Phoenix

    Welcome to BP community! It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

    Read Beginner’s Guide to help you get started: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Wishing you the best!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.