Another Newbie from Milwaukee!!

Another Newbie from Milwaukee!!

Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes

Hello Pocketiers!

Another newbie from Milwaukee (a.k.a MILL-E-WAH-QUE according to Wayne's World:))

I am finally sending out my intro post after many months of reading and listening to the excellent podcasts and just soaking up all the knowledge that you all have graciously offered.

A little bit about myself...I am a wife and mother with a 2.5 year old toddler boy that keeps me on my toes constantly!

I have been a graphic design/web design professional for the past 15 years. And while this industry has been very good to me I am ready to move forward to my new adventure...which is REI. I have been extremely interested in REI for the past 10 years, I was just waiting for the right time to do it and I feel that time is now!

Although I am conflicted and have done much soul searching to follow this path. Why is that you may ask? Well, my husband and I are avid Dave Ramsey followers and we have been working diligently on paying off our debt these past few years(we have paid off $30k so far) and while the snowball is picking up and we are going through the debt. I have a HUGE overwhelming student loan that without increasing our income significantly it will be around for awhile & I don't want that.

So this where I am torn and have been going back and forth on all of this...for those of you who are not familiar with Dave Ramsey, he believes in no debt & to pay cash for everything. Even for a business. His philosophy is that debt=risk and that risk can hurt you in the long run, to whereas if you bootstrap your business, then risk is minimal and if you don't make it then you haven't put you and your family in a mess.

However, in order for us to get into REI we would have to take on a loan and if we flip successfully and make some good money, then we will be able to pay the home loan off and put money towards the debt, however if we don't flip successfully, then I have added to the already gigantic debt we have. Does this make sense? Basically I am afraid of taking that much of a risk. And that is why it has been difficult for me to take action.

Its not that I don't know or understand the industry/business. In my 20's I worked in the construction industry. I did everything from demolition to building. I know how to drywall, trim, paint, wallpaper, tile, faux paint, refinish floors and furniture. I have a design background, so I know how to stage and design an interior that will sell. I know marketing, advertising and branding along with setting up a website. And of course the knowledge from BIGGER POCKETS!!!

I am an entrepreneur at heart, I want to be home more for my son. I want to do this with everything that I have and give it everything I got. Its just been a very hard choice for me and that is why I decided to write this post...hoping that others have gone through this thought process and where they came out of.

I am here to learn, grow and take that next step. My goals are to join the REIA in town and really dig and get to know people. There are already 3-4 properties that I have my eye on, along with 2 distressed properties that I might try to wholesale.

So that is my story so far:) Sorry for the long post! And thank you for listening!

Nicole Pettis

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
13y

Welcome to BP Nicole Pettis. Yup, I can relate those 2 year olds will keep you on your feet for sure. I think you should just keep pushing forward with what your are doing and that's great you have goals, something to shoot at. If you really want it bad enough you will make things happen. Make some connections at your local REIA and there's a few here from the Milwaukee area.

Best of luck Nicole.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP Nicole Pettis. Yup, I can relate those 2 year olds will keep you on your feet for sure. I think you should just keep pushing forward with what your are doing and that's great you have goals, something to shoot at. If you really want it bad enough you will make things happen. Make some connections at your local REIA and there's a few here from the Milwaukee area.

    Best of luck Nicole.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Nicole.

    Although I cannot relate to having children I can say that I also struggle with the concept of taking on debt. I like listening to the Dave Ramsey show as well but I like to think that there is Good Debt and Bad Debt. If you haven't done so I would recommend that you read Rich Dad Poor Dad. Make sure to stay active in the forums and ask questions.

    Best of Luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Burbank, CA · Member since 2012 · 271 posts · 79 votes
    13y

    Welcome Nicole Pettis!

    I have never listened to Dave Ramsey, but I listen to Ric Edelman every week.
    In one of his books, he has an example of two brothers who purchase 2 properties at the same price. I found this link when you can read the entire story at Reason #10: http://www.ricedelman.com/cs/education/article?articleId=232#.Ue93nm3-6VA . This story made me feel confident about having good debt.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Nicole

    Welcome don't limit yourself to 1 REIA club hit several different ones gather info, potential team members cash buyers.

    Use your past experience to build your business.

    Paul

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP Nicole! There is debt with risk, and with calculated risks is the potential for reward. In my personal finances, I do not have much debt, but in my business I have quite a bit. The business debt is critical to our business' growth, and without debt it would not be possible for us to be where we are today.

    There are a lot of talking heads out there and they each bring their own theories to the table. In general, I don't believe any of them are fully right or wrong, but I have built my own system and theory based on various influences.

    If you use the search bar at the top right you can find a ton of previous conversations and debates about debt, it makes for some interesting reading.

    Good luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    13y

    Hi! Thank you everyone for the great advice and support. One thing that I love about this site is how positive everyone is...its very refreshing!

    Bryan K. thank you! I definitely will, truly appreciate the advice!

    Victor B.and Ciprian L....Rich Dad Poor Dad is on my list of books to read, so I will make that one a priority & I've heard about Ric Edelman a few times, so I will definitely give him a listen as well.

    James Vermillion Great advice! Thank you! I listened to your podcast with Brandon and Josh and you were definitely an inspiration to me. I work full time as well & I question myself sometimes on how am I going to get things done, because my job can be very demanding. But I know if can stay organized and work with the right people it can be done. So thank you for that.

    Also, when I have told people what I want to do, they say I am crazy, and maybe I am..haha! All I know is that this is what I want to do, for me and my family.

    Many blessings!

    Nicole

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Don't worry Nicole...those same people calling you crazy will be wanting to get involved or loan you money in a few years, and believe me, that will feel good!

    And thanks for the compliment about the podcast, I am glad you got something out of it!

  • Real Estate Investor · Rothschild, WI · Member since 2012 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Hello Nicole Pettis and welcome!

    I have listened to a lot of Dave Ramsey's stuff and also occasionally struggle with going his route of all cash vs using OPM (Other People's Money) to do further investing.

    My way of reasoning goes like this:

    1) If taking on another investment property would be too risky of taking food off the table for my family in the case of it going south, I stay away from it.

    2) Will this property's cashflow add to my debt snowball or hinder it? Be conservative on the numbers here.

    3) If the property can be a rehab flip OR a long-term rental, if I can get at least 2% gross cashflow (Monthly rent divided by the sum of purchase price plus repairs/expenses), I go for it. Since I already have 10 years of Property Management experience and have systems and people in place to take it over, it will add to my debt snowball power long-term.

    Feel free to reach out anytime to discuss your Ramsey vs other financial books/guru approaches. He does make a lot of good common sense, but depending on your expertise/experience, you may be able to leverage that as well.

    Also, unless you are have a library, don't both purchasing the RichDad/PoorDad book, just type "rich dad poor dad PDF" into Google and you will come up with the book and executive summaries web pages to get it for free! Even Dave approves of that one. Send me a note directly if you want any links.

    Welcome!

    -Kurt

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome Nicole Pettis!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Nicole Pettis welcome to the site! Pocketiers... I love it! So funny!

    Thanks for jumping into the community! I also am a huge fan of Dave Ramsey and am working the same baby steps, though I do treat my real estate investing different (very conservative, but I am okay with debt as long as it's supported by a fixed rate loan.) There has been a lot of debating around the forums on this topic, so definitely search "Ramsey" in the search bar and read through some of the debates.

    Hope to see you more around the site! Let us know how we can help!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    13y

    Kurt Moeller Thank you so much for helping me clarify! Once I got rid of the fear talking, I was able to refigure things. My husband and I currently rent and so our first flip would technically be our house. Then the next flip could help towards our debt & REI business. Our rent is $1400 a month, so if we can afford that, then we could carry a low mortgage and a small flip & still have enough left over to attack our personal debt:)

    And yes, would love to get coffee sometime to talk about things(I live in Tosa) or I will message you, if I have any more questions or concerns about Ramsey. Thank you!!

    Nicole

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    13y

    Hellooooo Mr. Brandon Turner!!! Glad to see ya! I've been following you since I found realestateinyourtwenties.com over a year ago. You're were inspirational to me as well and I downloaded your free ebook 7 figures in 7 years. And it was through you, that I discovered Bigger Pockets and what a gem this site is...I heart it!

    Keep up the good work! So much great information & people, truly appreciate it! WIthout this site I would still be lost.

    As they say if you always do if you always did, you will always get what you always got. So its time to rock the boat a little bit:)

    Have a fantastic day!!

    Nicole

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    13y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Nicole Pettis!

    Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. You know because of that long introduction that we have to hold you accountable now right? :)

    Thought you might enjoy this disucssion: Ramsey vs Kiyosaki - To borrow, or not to borrow?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    13y

    Mehran Kamari...Yep!!! I had been sitting on that post for a few weeks, because I knew once I typed it then I had to take action. And action I am going to take!! Great post by the way, thank you for sharing.

    There are 3-4 foreclosures in our area that I am currently looking at.

    • The first one is a fannie mae property with a renovation loan for $80K AVR $180-$200K its a 3bdrm/2bthm, the interior desperately needs updating, but the outside is in good shape.

    • The second one is owned by Freddie Mac @ $44k AVR $120K its a 4 bdrm/1 bth, however all 4 walls on the foundation need to be fixed and the interior seriously needs to be updated and another bath needs to be added

    • The third property is owned by a small real estate agency, who never calls back. However it is a 3bdrm/2bthm @ $54k AVR $120-$130k that needs updating as well and it has a bad roof.

    So as you can see the last two would need some creative financing, but I am up for the challenge.

    Also, I have found two distressed properties in the same area. One is a gorgeous 4/2 colonial brick and the other(which is right next door) is a complete tear down. It has mold on the windows and a big hole in the roof. So can't really go into one without taking over the other.

    I've been following the 70% formula and the 3 houses that I have been looking at seem to fall in a good place with decent profits & they are small(under 2000 sq ft) 1950's cape cod. Great starter homes for single or family getting started. They are also in nice neighborhoods that are selling:)

    Thoughts on any of these? I can give more numbers if needed.

  • Kensington, MD · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Welcome Nicole! I'm also new to BP. Seems like you have a great start to me. I'm also a HUGE Dave Ramsey fan and have been following his principles. Just tackling that student loan debt! Good luck with your goals!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Nice Nicole Pettis that's awesome!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    Nicole maybe also consider Homepath or Homesteps
    properties for your 1st purchase

    Next suggest :
    consider purchasing J Scott & Biggerpockets Rehab books

    other suggestion :
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    check your local library for Marty Boardman flipping book
    (I'm currently 3rd in the queue on the waiting list
    - " my 2nd time reading materials " )

  • Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2013 · 107 posts · 18 votes
    13y

    Nicole Pettis Yet another Wisconsin BP member! Looks like you have been spending plenty of time learning. I learn best by practicing what I read. How about you?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    13y

    Jenkins Ramon..that's my first choice as well. Hopefully there is nothing structurally wrong with it!

    And I am an avid reader as well, those books are next on my list:)!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    13y

    Steve Foth Yes! I do. I have learned Web Design that way and my finances would be a mess if it hadn't been for Dave Ramsey. Its just that with REI, its not just me picking up a book and computer. Its a little bit more work:) I gain confidence by learning, while I know I will make mistakes, I also want to make sure I am not naive going into the deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City MO · Member since 2013 · 147 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Welcome Nicole. Wisconsin represent.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    13y

    Nicole Pettis Just a few questions on your process:

    How are you arriving at your ARV for your 70% calculations? Be sure to run sold Rehabbed/rent-ready comps within 1/2 mile in the past 6 months.

    How are you arriving at your Rehab costs?

    I haven't done any flips, right now I'm fixing/holding. I do know that it's very important to be accurate and conservative with these numbers though!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    13y

    Hello Mehran Kamari!

    Sure, no problem!

    My husband and I have lived in this area for the past 4 years. So I am very familiar with the house prices and what they have sold at. The one great thing about my current job is it has taught me how to research & research I have:)

    The neighborhood/area we live in now, there is a wide arrange of homes. Everywhere from 800sq ft to 2500sq ft. From 2 bdrm/1 bthrm to 5bdrm/2bthrm. So comps in the area are all over the place. However the average selling price for the 1950's cape cod style with 3/2 or 4/1 fixed up, land in the $120k - $130k & I am being conservative with those numbers. The average rent is $1100 - $1400.

    For my rehab costs, along with research & talking to others, I used to work in the construction industry & my husband & I had to redo our whole house back in Ohio to sell it(I did all the researching and the budget for that house), so I am familiar with what things cost. Also I have a friend who is currently in the construction industry that has help me with the numbers as well & I have read ALOT on BP on costs. So while I don't have hard numbers I have solid estimate costs.

    As I have learned on here, you don't make your money at the sale, you make it on the purchase.

    Absolutely! It is important to be accurate and conservative and I appreciate the post. Although, there were things that I didn't consider until I did the flip calculator here on BP & that helped alot with final numbers.

    Right now I am doing baby steps. I am reading and doing as much research as I can, before we take this on.

    So thank you again & I am sure we will talk soon!!

    Take care

    Nicole

  • Pellston, MI · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Nicole, it sounds like you and your husband are doing your research and are developing a plan.

    In regards to using leverage, it is a tool that you can use just like a credit card. It is a great tool if one is careful and plans ahead. If one is foolish with a credit card, they can get burned very badly. I look at mortgages much in the same way. Jumping into something haphazardly will most likely end in a mess.

  • Dave CarpenterPro Member
    Investor · Cedarburg, WI · Member since 2013 · 439 posts · 150 votes
    13y

    Nicole,

    It looks like you are going about this all the right way. I'm curious, are these houses in Tosa? I currently have a duplex in Washington Heights and I like that area a lot because it is so near to Tosa, yet has lower property values being in Milwaukee.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.