New to BP! New Jersey/ New York Area

New to BP! New Jersey/ New York Area

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 5 votes

Hey everyone!!

a little about me: I am 23 years old. I graduated about a year ago and I am currently a marketing administrator. I'm interested in learning and getting involved in real estate. I live near the NYC metropolitan area and I’m looking forward to connecting with people!

The reason I joined BP is because I am really interested in house hacking and would like to hopefully have my first property by early 2022. Any advice is welcomed! 

5Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Belleville, NJ · Member since 2020 · 90 posts · 60 votes
5y

Welcome to BP.  I agree with @Joseph Guzzardi Jr. FHA for house hacking is your best bet.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 411 posts · 148 votes
    5y

    @Stephanie Ruiz congrats for taking your first step. House hacking using your golden ticket (FHA) is one of the best ways to get started and build wealth.

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Thank you for introducing yourself, Stephanie! Glad to have you as part of this community!

  • Contractor · Belleville, NJ · Member since 2020 · 90 posts · 60 votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP.  I agree with @Joseph Guzzardi Jr. FHA for house hacking is your best bet.

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Stephanie Ruiz

    It’s great to have you here!

    If you want to invest into real estate, this site is awesome!

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides


    Alerts can be really helpful too: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Hello @Stephanie Ruiz and welcome to BP!

    The BiggerPockets forum is a great place to connect with people in and around your target market.

    To help new BP'ers find what and who they're looking for, I recommend 4 things:

    1. complete your BP profile - be as detailed and specific as possible when mentioning your goals. This will help people connect with you after determining how their goals, services and resources align with yours.

    2. use the 'search' function to find topics, members and areas of interest. Get answers to your questions and find people using this function!

    3. Set up keyword alerts so that you can receive notifications once a topic or area of interest in mentioned in one of the forums. Its a great way to stay current!

    4. Check out the Events tab at the top to find local and virtual meet ups.

    Lastly, I agree with the comments above regarding FHA loans for househacking. You'll be able to leverage a low down payment to get into your first property. You'll gain acquisition experience, project management experience and property management experience which will give you a solid foundation on which to build your portfolio moving forward.

    Best of luck to you moving forward!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    5y

    @Stephanie Ruiz. welcome to the BP community!

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    We have a new investors Zoom the first WED of every month 7-9 PM and a NJ investors Zoom the second WED of every month. A lot of people on those calls are current house hackers or prospective house hackers like yourself. It's best to start doing the research early so you are at the perfect age to plan it out without rushing into it and decide on a neighborhood where you will enjoy living (possibly only for a year), but also that has appreciation potential.

  • Lender · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    Hi Stephanie, welcome to BP! Now is the time to start planning if you are looking to buy by early '22. Networking with other people to see how they have done it will give you a wealth of knowledge. Not sure where you're living at the moment, but there are a few great meetups around me (I live in Bloomfield, NJ), as well as one I co-host monthly with another BP member. If you ever want to talk real estate/investing, I'd love to connect!

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Hi Stephanie - I am also new to BP, also in marketing, also looking to get involved in real estate. Born and raised in Central Jersey, now living in Houston TX. No advice to give as I am also new, but just wanted to say good luck on your journey and wishing you lots of success!

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Congratulations and Welcome to BP @Stephanie Ruiz, I wish you good luck! :)

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Stephanie Ruiz House hacking is great way to go in New Jersey.   My wife and I got to financial freedom using this strategy.   Joining Bigger Pockets changed my life, stay active on the forum.  Any house hacking questions please do not hesitate to reach out.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.