New to Real Estate and Searching For Advice

New to Real Estate and Searching For Advice

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello everyone! I am a student in my last year at my university and I'm looking forward to start flipping houses and inventing in rental properties to create passive income. I am struggling with where and how to start. I love watching shows like flipping 101 and watching some people flip houses that I find on youtube. But I'm eager to start doing it myself! How should I go about getting started, until I graduate I guess I'm still in the planning stages but I'd like to create some type of a short term and a long term plan. Please let me know anything you'd like to share! Also not looking for a mentor just some tips rn for help along the way!

1Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Marc RiceBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

My senior year at OSU I reached out to a mentor and started helping him with cold calling and project management. I helped him buy numerous properties and then started buying my own. I would recommend reaching out to 10 people who are actively flipping in your local market, ask them how you can help add value to them and their business whether it be finding deals or doing project management. I would stress to not focus on how much you'll get paid hourly but instead to tell them you're not looking for a job but instead want to learn as much as possible. You CAN still get paid from them but that is not your main focus.

Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    My senior year at OSU I reached out to a mentor and started helping him with cold calling and project management. I helped him buy numerous properties and then started buying my own. I would recommend reaching out to 10 people who are actively flipping in your local market, ask them how you can help add value to them and their business whether it be finding deals or doing project management. I would stress to not focus on how much you'll get paid hourly but instead to tell them you're not looking for a job but instead want to learn as much as possible. You CAN still get paid from them but that is not your main focus.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Arrien Kampourakis, thank you for that introduction, and welcome to BiggerPockets.

    I hope you continue to learn from everyone on this platform.

    If you have not, great books to read are:

    • Rich Dad, Poor Dad

    • The Millionaire Next Door

    • Cash Flow Quadrant

    • Tax Free Wealth

    • Set For Life

    • Rental Property Investing

    • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

    • The REAL Book of Real Estate

    • So Good They Can’t Ignore You

    You are more than welcome to reach out if you have any questions.

    Good Luck and go make it happen!

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    4y

    Welcome tot he BP community @Marc Rice

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Hi Arrien, welcome to the community!  I'm so excited for you on this journey! There is a great group of members and like-minded people here to connect with! Good luck investing! 


  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Arrien Kampourakis

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    You’ll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to respond to your posts.

    The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. For example, if you are looking to connect with other members near you, want to learn from people in a specific area you’d like to invest in, or have a desire to find people interested in certain topics, you could use the search feature here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users


    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that may be of interest: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I’d consider not flipping but getting something to hold in your shoes.  Especially if you don’t have a primary residence yet.  Just my opinion and what I wish I had done when younger.  If you get a decent job and a good lender with low down or zero down options, you could get to own something that likely will only appreciate and allow you to rent out rooms or move out and get another and another and another throughout your 20’s.  It’s whatI wish I had done, before jumping into creative finance, remodel, building a business etc.  It’s the best practice and place to start.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.