What else do you invest in besides real estate?

What else do you invest in besides real estate?

Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes

What other types of investments do you do?

0Reply
156 views

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2008 · 424 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    Not a whole lot else at this point, but I am still a "new" investor. I aim to become a HML in the next few years.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    I have a couple websites and maybe one breaks even...lol

    I also play with subpenny stocks. These are fun! I buy 10 Million shares at .0001 cents per share...lol What's great is they truly can't go down unless they do a reverse split. Actually made a 150% return last year when the price went up to .0003 cents per share and I sold a lot. Then a month later they did a 200/1 reverse stock split and whatever I didn't sell became worthless....lol

  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "TimWieneke":
    I have a couple websites and maybe one breaks even...lol

    I also play with subpenny stocks. These are fun! I buy 10 Million shares at .0001 cents per share...lol What's great is they truly can't go down unless they do a reverse split. Actually made a 150% return last year when the price went up to .0003 cents per share and I sold a lot. Then a month later they did a 200/1 reverse stock split and whatever I didn't sell became worthless....lol

    haha, I didn't even know anything below a penny per share existed.

  • Member since 2008 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    If I can sell my buildings I'm going to invest in mortgages.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
    18y

    Well I would suggest that buying notes/mortgages is still investing in real estate. I do that.

    I have several other business interests, although I realized recently that I was spread to thin and recently divested some of those interests to get more focused.

    I recently have dabbled a little in the FOREX area with some solid success. If the dollar is going to fall, and the fed keeps dropping rates, might as well profit from it, right?

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2008 · 44 posts · 15 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "rainman11":
    If I can sell my buildings I'm going to invest in mortgages.

    I would suggest working with a Private Hard Equity Lender, Sometimes you can get up to 12% ROI. maybe even more. Its tricky though, you might end up with the property if they default and then you are back to having to "SELL BUILDINGS"

    Good Luck, where are the buildings you want to sell?

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    I've got about 20% of so of my net worth in RE, all seller financed mortgages now. The balance is in a few stocks, Nike, Wendy's, Tim Horton's, (that's about 3%) and a well rounded portfolio of mutual funds.

    The funds have provided a bit of excitement the past few weeks, but I'm only 60 so I can't go to all fixed income stuff yet.

    My % of mortgages is a bit lower than normal as I've had a few people sell or refinance in the last year. It's usually up around 30% but haven't seen any "deals" since last April.

    all cash

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2008 · 424 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    I have a couple of websites too Tim!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "BlueStarHomes":
    I have a couple of websites too Tim!

    What cracks me up is what I can do on Frontpage now, I could have charged $300/hr for in 1999. :lol:

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2008 · 424 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    No kidding! I remember only 4 years ago or so paying a guy over $800 to design a site for me. Didn't look any better than the one I have now!

  • Sunol, CA · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    web design has grown tremendously, i used to own a company that dabbled in it, something one of our inexperienced techs could do would be worth a ton. Now its all flash and flashier things

  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Whoa, I just got settled here in Tokyo about a week ago. I guess I'm a new investor in personal happiness until I get back next year.

    btw, a little off-topic here, but the RE here is like San Francisco in price and half the size.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y

    old coins that have much value have take my interest lately!

  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "all_cash":
    I've got about 20% of so of my net worth in RE, all seller financed mortgages now. The balance is in a few stocks, Nike, Wendy's, Tim Horton's, (that's about 3%) and a well rounded portfolio of mutual funds.

    The funds have provided a bit of excitement the past few weeks, but I'm only 60 so I can't go to all fixed income stuff yet.

    My % of mortgages is a bit lower than normal as I've had a few people sell or refinance in the last year. It's usually up around 30% but haven't seen any "deals" since last April.

    all cash

    Hmm... I wonder what the "RE net worth" is for others.

    Stocks are just mind-boggling. If I had to pick a few stocks, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    18y

    I enjoy investing in stocks! There is always money to be made no matter what the market is doing.

    My wife and I "flip" horses. The business is a lot like real estate. We find value priced horses with potential, place them in training, and sell them in 60-120 days.

    My brother and I also have a fantastic time starting and/or investing in businesses.

    At the end of the day, real estate is my true passion and it is something I have been blessed to be very good at!

    Life is good when you make the money work for you!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Flipping horses.... I LIKE IT! A key business professor I had when I was 19 (Part owner in a bagel chain called Big Apple Bagle that made some money) started a corporation where people could buy shares in a race horse and get returns on their investment based on share payouts of the horse's winnings.

  • Member since 2008 · 37 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    I invest in ETFs and index funds. Individual stocks have too much risk for me. I dont want to end up with an Enron or Bear Stearns. A top energy and financial company going belly up. It can happen, but it is hard to think a whole sector or country can go belly up. Some good values out there. The XLF (financial sector ETF) is paying a 4% dividend and has a P/E ratio of 10. I know all the media is trying to explain how our whole financial system in the United States is in serious trouble. It may be in minor trouble and this sector has been beaten down to a point of great opportunity. Just my opinion, but I am starting to buy the XLF. Great deal right now.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    18y

    Tim,

    It is pretty neat, and something I never dreamed in a million years that I would be associated with.

    I would personally like to expand into race horses, but my wife is versed in English and Western Pleasure and it is out of her comfort zone at the moment.

    Basically, I neogtiate and fund the deals, and my wife does all of the work in finding and training the horses.

    Here hobby has been costing me a lot of money for years, so i found a way to get some of it back!!!! LOL

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "GoGladiator":

    Here hobby has been costing me a lot of money for years, so i found a way to get some of it back!!!! LOL

    Hmmm....sounds like when I asked my realtor about strip clubs for sale. JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING! :wink:

  • Realtor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Gold.... and it finally paid off at about $1K per ounce.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    I bought some silver a few years ago. I just took a look at silver again today. Holy Crap! $18 an ounce.... I don't think it was a year or two ago it was under $10 an ounce. That's almost 50% loss in US dollar value.... Very, very disconcerting.

    Makes me think of shifting savings accounts to silver coins buried in dem dar hills.

  • Real Estate Investor · cardiff by the sea, CA · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "djh55":
    Gold.... and it finally paid off at about $1K per ounce.

    Does this mean you sold your gold? I hope not! we are only in the 4th inning of the commodities Bull Run. Commodities are going to go through the same type of bubble RE had.

    Silver = 100 / gold = 3000

    Under the current monetary policy, where growth is the only concern, it is impossible to not have bubble somewhere.

    I am not selling my commodities until it becomes a topic of conversation among non investors just like real estate did.

  • Real Estate Investor · cardiff by the sea, CA · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "TimWieneke":

    Makes me think of shifting savings accounts to silver coins buried in dem dar hills.

    I did.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "huntergrey":

    Does this mean you sold your gold? I hope not! we are only in the 4th inning of the commodities Bull Run. Commodities are going to go through the same type of bubble RE had.

    Do you think the same goes for food commodities such as wheat, rice, corn, etc.?

  • Real Estate Investor · cardiff by the sea, CA · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "biggerpo":
    Do you think the same goes for food commodities such as wheat, rice, corn, etc.?

    I do. The fundamentals that apply to gold/silver also apply to food commodities.

    This link will provide an invaluable list of video’s that discuss monetary policy / commodities / and the economy.

    http://goldsilver.com/video_categories.php?ss=59cb6660f773551c5efb21b30ab6f2a4

    Also watch some of the interviews with Jim Rodgers you can find them on Youtube.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=t4cbv-KQi_s&feature=related

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.