Its Over - Obama Wins - Now What?

Its Over - Obama Wins - Now What?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Ok - Looks like the NY Post called the election for Obama . . . seems like the rest of the nets are tiptoing around it. So, I'll stand behind the Post and call it for Obama.
[UPDATE - It is official - McCain is in the middle of his concession speech]

He ran a great campaign and won. Now comes the hard part . . . running the most powerful country ever.

Only time will tell what is to come, but now Obama has to actually make decisions and stick by them. He has to make decisions that don't just affect a campaign, but that will affect hundreds of millions of people. Can he live up to the job? We'll see. I certainly hope so.

He has made history. He has made millions of people proud. He has been a transformational figure. I accept that.

That said, I did not vote in this election for a person, but for the ideas that the person was fighting for. We've heard a LOT about Change, but now that it is over, we need to get to these issues. No matter what we think about Obama, we have to accept him - he's ours.

I want to talk about issues, but before doing so, I think it is important to discuss the media. One thing that MUST CHANGE is the way the press covers politics. The press is clearly no longer an unbiased source of information. Will they start asking the hard questions, or be entralled with history and talk about that instead of what Obama is going to actually do now that he is the Chief? Will Obama allow the press to challenge him and answer the difficult questions? Several things concerned me in the past few weeks with the way the press was treated by the Obama campaign, and I hope it does not carry forward into Obama's presidency. Our free press is at the heart of our Democracy and we the people must fight to maintain that freedom. We must demand of our press' independence. Without that, we lose a little of ourselves and our freedom.

People are excited and have a right to be, but this election was about issues, right? Here are a few questions I have right now...

What about Iraq?
Are we going to leave Iraq as he promises? How many troops is he going to leave there? What is their role going to be? What happens if we start to see violence rise once again? Do we go back in?

What about Afghanistan?
Is there an exit strategy? How do we get out of there? He has said that we're going to send our troops to the real center of terror, but what then?

What about Pakistan?
Do we go in without their permission to get BinLaden?

What happens in Iran?
Does he continue to allow Iran to pursue Nuclear weapons?

Russia
The Russians have proven that they are looking to spread their dominance once again. How does he handle the growing power of the Russian Bear?

The Economy
How does he stimulate the economy? Is there a plan to stop the tide of foreclosures? Do the bailouts continue? Do we keep printing money to save private companies, or do we let the free market take over?

Health Care
How is he going to pay for the Universal Health Care plan he has promised?

Campaign Finance Reform
After promising to take public funds, he switched and changed his mind. Can he now get out and reform the way our elections are financed?

Immigration
What is the immigration plan for the country? Do we seal the borders? How do we handle the millions of illegals?

Energy
We've been told that we're going to push green energy. . . how does that take effect? Do we drill? What about Nuclear?

UNITER
He promised to bring people together. Who has he brought together? Some red states have turned blue, but has he really changed anything? Is he going to somehow give Republicans a say in his government? I don't personally see the Republicans suddenly agreeing with the Democrats just because of Obama. What is that UNITY going to mean?

CHANGE
Ok, we've got a new president . . . that is definitely a change. He is of the opposite party . . . that is change. GREAT! What REAL change is he going to bring to the country now that he is in power?

These are the REAL questions that we should ALL be asking after the cheering and partying ends.

The next few months until inauguration day are going to be an extremely challenging time for Mr. Obama. Lets all hope that he and President Bush come together and work on a smooth transition for the country through a most turbulent period. We cannot afford to have it any other way.

0Reply
125 views

78 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    People may not stick to topic, but we do ask that people stick to topic in ALL topics. I'm not asking too much here am I?

    Good . . .

    Now . . . back to: Now What?

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    Your're right Comrade Tim. My McDonald's inflation gauge is still showing an alarming trend. About 3 or 4 months ago, a 10 piece Chicken McNuggets (just the nuggets) was $2.00. Then, they raised it to $2.50 (a whopping 25% increase). Yesterday, it went up again to $2.70. Tim is right, that's just the beginning. Very soon, we will experience runaway (3rd world) style inflation.

    Mike


    The is no denying that The Big Mac Index is great for bringing to light the purchasing power of a dollar against other currencies. But Mike, seriously, how can you eat that stuff :)

    In and Out burger is the only way to go. One day maybe they'll make it out to the midwest

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Matty M:
    In and Out burger is the only way to go. One day maybe they'll make it out to the midwest


    100% AGREEMENT!!! Problem is those f-ers won't franchise (yes, I tried). It's only chain. Could use a little animal style right now. (If you know what I mean, you understand - if you don't close your mouth and don't let your mind go there.)

    All that being said, commodities speaking - silver spot price is closing around 10 bucks an ounce. That's down like 50-60% from February (glad I sold mine at 21) and historically it's right about where silver should be with a "strong" dollar and where I was buying silver like 4-5 years ago. Gold has also come down but not more than 50%. We haven't had a fiat currency in the digital age before so this should be interesting.

    We've got all the makings of a turbulent dollar market and though only a fraction of it can be affected in any way by Obama - the high emotional expectation of performance will undoubtedly increase the turbulent response to even the slightest thing going wrong. I have to be honest, I'm converting my modest savings account to silver.
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    I'm converting my modest savings account to silver.

    I am going to look into the silver thing. That sounds like a great idea.

    I also researched In-N-Out franchising! Yeah they're not having it.

    MikeOh: Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys, etc... Cannot touch this:
    http://www.in-n-out.com/

    Great fast food burgers with meat you can trust.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    "Great fast food burgers with meat you can trust."
    And taste you can't live without. It's like the lays potatoe chips, you can't just eat one!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    As far as the political topic here, I will not join in on the soap box here, but only say that I am disguested with the media and the ignoramouses they interview. All we have heard to date, and probably will for the next 4 years, is that "A Black Man" this and a "Black man" that. Why does it have to be stated or noted?

    News flash citizens, the black population in the US is only around 10% or so. It was the "white men & women" who voted "the black man" into office. Can we stop talking about race and color and start being more constructive & productive with our time and efforts?!?! I wish the media would shut up and concentrate on the issues that affect us all, none of which have to do with the color of our President Elect's skin color!

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    We might not have In-N-Out Burger, but we do have Whitecastle!!!!!!!

    ** Talk about going off topic!!! LOL

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Harrison Painter:
    We might not have In-N-Out Burger, but we do have Whitecastle!!!!!!!
    ** Talk about going off topic!!! LOL


    I grew up in Detroit. I know all about the White Castle. They can't touch In-N-Out either. But I still hit WC every holiday season when I am in the Motor City!
  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    They do not call them "Sliders" for nothing!!!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    Would you guys stop this right now!!!!

    Now I'm hungry!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I have NEVER seen a single mom with 4-5 kid from 4 to 5 fathers. of who

    Just how many trailer parks are there per capita in your town?

    BTW=- I have seen MORE than my fair share of White TRASH in my day.

    James, what is it with you and the race issue? If you would spend more time reading and less time posting ridiculous nonsense that is intended to inflame the forum, you would have read that most of my low income tenants ARE WHITE (because most of the population in my area is white). I felt that I had to put that in my original post, because I know that YOU always want to play the race card!

    This (overbreeding issue) is a character issue - NOT A RACE ISSUE. I have multiple tenants with multiple children by multiple men. One of my Section 8 tenants has SIX KIDS - by different men. That is the issue! There is EVERY reason for these low income tenants to have more children out of wedlock, because they get more handouts with more children. In essence, we are PROMOTING this activity with our ridiculous laws.

    Whether it's politically correct to say so or not (I'm sure it's not) in the new socialist state, tthis overbreeding by the lowest class in America will create a HUGE problem going forward. How do we support an ever-increasing population of deadbeats who are not willing to work?

    Comrade Mike

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    Stop the hand outs, I would assume.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    I think it is more important to "trim the fat" from the budget, rather than the always popular political method of charging the taxpayers more in some fashion or another.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Will, why should we do that when we've got a bunch of rich, fatcat real estate investors that we can take money from? Do your patriotic duty Will and give til it hurts!

    Comrade Mike

  • Member since 2008 · 60 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Comparing White Castle to In-n-Out is like comparing Chevy to BMW.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    I did not vote in this election for a person, but for the ideas that person was fighting for... now ... we need to get to these issues.
    ... it is important to discuss the media. One thing that MUST CHANGE is the way the press covers politics. Our free press is at the heart of our Democracy and we the people must fight to maintain that freedom. We must demand [the press's independence. Without that, we lose a little of ourselves and our freedom.
    ... Here are a few questions I have ...These are the REAL questions that we should ALL be asking after the cheering and partying ends.


    Well, see, those very questions are the ones that should have been asked and answered BEFORE the voting.
    ofgift
  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes
    17y
    I have NEVER seen a single mom with 4-5 kid from 4 to 5 fathers. of who
    Just how many trailer parks are there per capita in your town?
    BTW=- I have seen MORE than my fair share of White TRASH in my day. Comrade Mike

    In my really very sheltered life--more than a bunch of years of it, I have seen and known SEVERAL women with 4-5 kid from 4 to 5 fathers, and they first slew were young white women, a few black, and later, a few Filipino and Hawaiian.
    I have seen many white trash trailer parks. They didn't start out that way for the most part, but susre ended up that way. And yes, much white trash, as well as black. And they weren't all poor.
    ofgift
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Will Barnard:
    All we have heard to date, and probably will for the next 4 years, is that "A Black Man" this and a "Black man" that. Why does it have to be stated or noted?


    Since we brought up White Castle, I could explain why this is - but never so eloquently as Kumar (and without being labelled a racist):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivd0oXr5f-g&feature=related

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
    17y

    In all seriousness, what if a Japanese-American won?

    Would it have been a bigger deal?

    The same?

    Not as big of a deal?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Would they have accepted Sarah Palin had she won? That would be interesting.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by David Peeples:
    In all seriousness, what if a Japanese-American won?

    Would it have been a bigger deal?

    The same?

    Not as big of a deal?




    It would have been a big deal. Not as big:
    Japanese-American's were not slaves that labored on the construction of The White House.
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y

    ...

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
    17y

    Yeah, but I was thinking of that WWII thing.

    That was pretty bad too.

    Some think it was even worse.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by David Peeples:
    Yeah, but I was thinking of that WWII thing.

    That was pretty bad too.

    Some think it was even worse.

    Oh, what if it was a Native American Indian?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    "Will, why should we do that when we've got a bunch of rich, fatcat real estate investors that we can take money from? Do your patriotic duty Will and give til it hurts!

    Comrade Mike "
    Your sarcasim here is quite funny. We both have made the same point in two different fashions.

    "Japanese-American's were not slaves that labored on the construction of The White House."
    Please inform us of the African-American person alive today who personally experienced slavery!
    Nobody? Then ALL should stop bringing it up because it does not and has not happened since Lincoln.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.