Rental Property Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2008 · 131 posts · 17 votes
17y
My parents will be attending the one here in Syracuse NY!
Unfortunately I will be unable to go (out of town), but I hope these are well attended so that the people will be able to send a message to the Government, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!.
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
I did attend the local Tea Party today and it was EXCELLENT! It was run by ordinary people in the community and all the speakers were ordinary people (no scumbag politicians). There was a very large crowd and interestingly, a very large police presence. Of course, with a lot of conservatives present, everything was very orderly and lawful (as opposed to many liberal protests).
The general consensus of the crowd was that the country was being stolen from them and they were being taxed to death! They were fed up and they aren't going to take it anymore (at least, not in silence).
Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
17y
I did not make / take a sign, but a fellow near me had made a 2nd one to "give away". I was the lucky recipient of his hard work and could not have won more of a lottery that expressed my thoughts:
"I'll take the Constitution... You can keep the Change"
Real Estate Consultant · Jamaica Plain, MA · Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
17y
How do you guys feel about a flat tax? Maybe at 17%?
I feel the self-employment double taxation and employer taxes are just a burden, especially when you consider that most of the government's spending is out of control.
FYI, I voted for Obama so its not like I'm a Sean Hannity or anything.
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
We've gotten rid of the Federal Reserve twice in our history and we could certainly do it again. Once the country collapses, everything will be on the table. Income taxes are also something we could do without (although I agree that it will be difficult getting rid of them). We didn't have income taxes until 1862 in this country.
Select a State · Member since 2009 · 156 posts · 17 votes
17y
Tea Baggers and AM radio junkies need to learn the definition of Socialism.
Also, if you are truly concerned about Federal goverment overspending, please give at least partial credit to the Bush Adminstration and the Republican Congress. Why wasn't there a tea bagging when the federal budget went from a surplus to a deficit of a $trillion dollars under the watch of so-called conservatives?!
I think taxes are too high, particularly in my state. But, please get off of the blame game. Both the Liberals and Conservatives have over spent.
In my view, Conservatives are upset now, not merely because of too much spending, but rather, where the money is funneled to.
Real Estate Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
17y
Yes Kirk B, it will 4 times more money funneled out of mine and your pockets into those pockets of people and companies that don't pay taxes and/or who have not been responsible with their lives and funds. Yes I am hard on people/companies but you say quite the blame game, but when are people going to start taking responsibility for their own actions and quite mooching off of those that are hard working. I have yet in my life asked for a hand out, but the government seems to think they have the right to give money away even when they don’t have any to give. To continue the rant, what does the government mean “Balancing a Budget�? If you ever worked around “Government Bid Work†then you know that no matter what the budget was this last year they add a minimum of 10% for the next year, and the next and the next. How about they “STOP THE INSANTIY†as an old commercial used to say and start with last years budget and decrease that by 10% and call that the budget for 2009, then balance the budget. One way to accomplish that is to make it a flat rate tax a point of sale at 10% to 20 %. This will cut most of the IRS jobs in Washington because, no one has to invent, interpret or enforce tax code. And for most of America that normally files the “1040 EZ†they will save by not having the tax preparation people file the income tax. I better stop there; I will be here all day and have to have the government bail me out.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
17y
Originally posted by MikeOH:
We've gotten rid of the Federal Reserve twice in our history and we could certainly do it again. Once the country collapses, everything will be on the table. Income taxes are also something we could do without (although I agree that it will be difficult getting rid of them). We didn't have income taxes until 1862 in this country.
Mike
It actually feels like there's hope for this. It's refreshing to see the occasional mainstream media article questioning the Fed's role/power lately. If we get to a point where the price of gold and silver is mentioned every hour in every mainstream media outlet (bye bye dollar) then we just may lose the fed again. Yay!
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
Originally posted by Kirk B:
Tea Baggers and AM radio junkies need to learn the definition of Socialism.
Also, if you are truly concerned about Federal goverment overspending, please give at least partial credit to the Bush Adminstration and the Republican Congress. Why wasn't there a tea bagging when the federal budget went from a surplus to a deficit of a $trillion dollars under the watch of so-called conservatives?!
I think taxes are too high, particularly in my state. But, please get off of the blame game. Both the Liberals and Conservatives have over spent.
In my view, Conservatives are upset now, not merely because of too much spending, but rather, where the money is funneled to.
Kirk,
There's no need to associate legitimate political protest with a homosexual act. It reflects poorly on you no matter how funny Anderson Cooper thought he was and how cool you think you are by imitating him. Never forget the Tea Party Protests were not started by a conservative rant. They started with Rick Santinelli's rant on CNN. He said something that we all felt and I was standing there with democrats AND republicans, even some who had voted for Obama.
Yeah, the Bush presidency sucked at domestic policy but we've doubled Federal spending of the ENTIRE HISTORY of the United States in Obama's first 100 days....while he gladly tours shoving his nose up the asses of socialist dictators. I know what Socialism means. I used to live in Chicago and Boston. Do you?
Select a State · Member since 2009 · 156 posts · 17 votes
17y
Kirk,
There's no need to associate legitimate political protest with a homosexual act. It reflects poorly on you no matter how funny Anderson Cooper thought he was and how cool you think you are by imitating him.
Where did you get homosexual act out of what I posted LOL! If you somehow drew that conclusion I think it reflects poorly on you not me.
And I haven't watched Andersen Cooper or CNN in weeks.
Except for the part about you lived in Boston and Chicago the rest is just blatantly incorrect. Obama's budget is almost exactly the same level of spending as Bush's. The only difference is Obama has included all Defense spending in his Budget where Bush considered war time spending as an add-on. It seems to me that you have been spoon fed some propaganda and you need to do some research of your own.
My point is both spend too much. But no one was pointing fingers or having tea bag parties when Bush was in office. How can you so easily forget that this country went from a budget surplus to a deficit of $1 trillion dollars in 8 years. The difference now is where this money is being redistributed.
Finally, I know what socialism is because I have a BA degree in Political Science. The definition of Socialism is that there is no private ownership of capital. All capital is owned equally by every individual. I don't see where Obama wants to eliminate private ownership of capital.
Obama has acted on the advice of his advisors and carried out a Capitalist Monetarist policy which is almost identical to Bush's. If you are going to mislabel Obama a socialist, then you might as well do the same with Bush. He begged for TARP on National TV. I would think the TARP money would be issue #1 for a tea party! But it is not. It isn't because the tea parties are about where the money is going, not how much is being spent.
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
Kirk, you are absolutely correct that both Bush and Obama are MISERABLE FAILURES when it comes to spending our money. The wealth redistribution that has been moving us toward socialism has been going on for many decades, but has so accelerated in the past few months that it has startled a large part of the populace.
I also agree with you that conservatives (including me) find the current redistribution (under Bush and Obama) to be unacceptable. Taking the money of hard working Americans and giving it to the bankers; socialists; radical environmental causes (like the proposed cap and trade); and taking ownership in our largest companies is particularly offensive. In addition, I find also find it offensive that our "social" programs continue to expand. We should not house, feed, or provide medical care for people that are too lazy to work.
Then open your eyes. Socialism wasn't going to come to America in a single day! It is a process that has been going on for decades and had dramatically increased in speed and intensity in the past few months (under the guise of a crisis). The government now controls key businesses in key sectors of our country, including the banking industry, mortgage industry, insurance industry, and auto industry. They will increase that control through the cap and trade system, making Americans more dependent on the government and businesses under the control (through punitive taxation) of the government.
The bailouts (TARP money) did figure prominently in the tea parties, along with the huge amount of spending the government has been doing through all the various bailouts. As you correctly said, Conservatives (as opposed to Republicans) and Libertarians are also very concerned with how that money is being spent and who is receiving it.
Real Estate Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 88 posts · 6 votes
17y
[quote=MikeOH
In addition, I find also find it offensive that our "social" programs continue to expand. We should not house, feed, or provide medical care for people that are too lazy to work.
Mike
I can't tell you how long I have been irked by this fact. I never did understand (since my early teens) why we supported people who don't work-AND WITH MY MONEY!! I can understand those that are in an emergency and need it for a short time, or have seriously hurt themselves and they cannot work. But, common, years, generations? Gimmie a break. I can't tell you how mad I got while putting myself and my husband through school (spending 10's of thousands of dollars from out own pockets) just to find out the girl next to me is getting everything paid for her, plus transportation, plus child care, all because she had a child, couldn't support him/her herself, and to top it off, got mostly D's in the classes. Here people do the right things in the right order and they get schafted, and people who don't use their brains and work hard for what they need/want get things handed to them on a silver platter.
It may not be as rosey as just being given everything, and people have their hardships, but I had to live like crap for 7 years saving every nickle and time: having people try to kill my dogs, me having to call police on neighbors for child and spouse abuse, having tweekers try to kill my husband, go to school, have 2-3 jobs (this was before I even thought of investing), and be smart and not have children. All this was done without government help.
So you will have to excuse me when I get on my pedistal here and give my $.02 about how pissed off I get when we "bail" out people who make the wrong decisions (re-finance a house for extra cash to pay off the do-dad's they didn't have the money to buy in the first palce, give out investment type loans to average home buyers, etc), knowing they were the wrong decisions.
And, I am not putting the blame on either party. "Government" care and help has been around with both parties and will always be. I think that it seriously needs to revamping though.
Real Estate Investor · Tampa Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 180 posts · 17 votes
17y
What really irks me is the fact that we all worry about these Liberal vs Conservative and Dem vs. Rep issues.
Meanwhile NOBODY is discussing whether or not a group of bankers should control our nations monetary policy.
You call it what you want. What you call money, I call Federal Reserve Notes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_Note
I wish this was a conspiracy theory, and not the way it really is. But yes, every dollar is really a debt owed to the Fed with interest. The taxes you pay on your labor (also un-constitutional) goes towards paying this debt.