U.S. & CHINA Ponzi Scheme?

U.S. & CHINA Ponzi Scheme?

Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes

Here's an article regarding the topic:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/SuperModels/mad-world-chinas-bind-is-ours-too.aspx


I've been very interested in this topic ever since I began reading Rich Dad Poor Dad series and Donald Trump's books.

If are money is destined to go flat.....what then?

What is the best way to protect ourselves as individuals and as a country?

I'd like to know other people's opinion on the topic.

0Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
17y
Originally posted by Jesse:
Maybe a flat tax. Every individual pay a flat tax to be designated for certain income brackets.

People are eventually going to have to take care of themselves.
I believe the days of food stamps, social security, and other federal programs like these need to come to an end.
It's time to stop taking advantage of the system, make some sacrifices and do something for the good of the nation.



Sorry, Jessie. Not by a long shot. Flat tax is conservative idea to protect the rich from paying disproportionate taxes. That would never fly with the current congress or administration and as you can see, the opposite is happening.
With regard to cut all social programs and budget-busting entitlements, show me the congressman or senator who would vote for that and go back to his/ her state or district for re-election. No siree Bob...
See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · colorado springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 283 posts · 45 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    A short sale, huh?

    Wouldn't it be in China's best interest to refuse and demand some land or something else of use?

    Do you really think inflation will get that bad?
    200-400% seems like a heck of a stretch.
    I do see it going as high as 75% though


    Yes, short sale, I'll give Tim the credit for this term.

    It would be in their best interest, and even if they had legal standing to do so, they wouldn't do it for various reasons. First of all, they can't do that to their best customer, where would they find another one that spends so much? It's better to recoup half, than nothing.

    And lastly, we already established the inflation WILL BE outrageous. Beyond that: 75, 100, 200, 400% is just semantics.

  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 456 posts · 42 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    I'm still on the fence here. Probably need to see some more evidence.

    Regardless of whether the eminent domain issue is true or not, China at any point in time may ask for their money back.
    This gives them a whole lot of leverage, don't you think?


    I did say it was "my understanding". I wasn't there to see it signed. I've heard it mentioned in several places and its all over the internet. But you can go to Bloomberg and see that China was pushing for some security. So what did they give them if not land? No one ever said. But I don't think this is something the Fed would broadcast if it were true and it wouldn't be the first time that something was enacted that the American people didn't know about. Quite frankly it probably doesn't matter in the long run. With the big push for world government, we're all gonna wind up belong to the UN anyway.
  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y

    Taking on some debt sounds like a good plan.

    The problem is, taking on more and more debt is what got us into this mess in the first place.

    There has got to be a better alternative

  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 456 posts · 42 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    Originally posted by Sorin T:
    So the SNOPES site does not have enough credibility to prove that false? Not to some of us, anyway... and the msnbc board is more credible?



    We'll get to the truth soon enough.

    In the meanwhile, how about some input regarding the initial topic?


    What I meant by that is it doesn't specifically dispute or confirm anything. It cites an executive orde. Many things have been written to protect our rights but as you can see, Bush plowed right over most of them with the Patriot Act.
  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 456 posts · 42 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    Taking on some debt sounds like a good plan.

    The problem is, taking on more and more debt is what got us into this mess in the first place.

    There has got to be a better alternative


    Sorry, I guess I did hijack your post. I think the article's right. We're in for a long and painful drouht. You have 2 very stubborn countries that are not going to give an inch. My initial remarks about trading currencies still stands if you can find one stable or increasing in value.
  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Karen Parker:
    Sorry, I guess I did hijack your post. I think the article's right. We're in for a long and painful drouht. You have 2 very stubborn countries that are not going to give an inch. My initial remarks about trading currencies still stands if you can find one stable or increasing in value.



    I guess that would be the end of the dollar.
    What then? Amero?
    Maybe a Globo?

    Once people realize that this paper money really means nothing, the fed is going to have to back it with something.
    No more IOUs.
    We're going back to the gold standard baby!

  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 456 posts · 42 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    Originally posted by Karen Parker:
    Sorry, I guess I did hijack your post. I think the article's right. We're in for a long and painful drouht. You have 2 very stubborn countries that are not going to give an inch. My initial remarks about trading currencies still stands if you can find one stable or increasing in value.



    I guess that would be the end of the dollar.
    What then? Amero?
    Maybe a Globo?

    Once people realize that this paper money really means nothing, the fed is going to have to back it with something.
    No more IOUs.
    We're going back to the gold standard baby!


    lol! The paper money never did mean anything. I think I recall something about China and maybe it was Russia, trying to get the US to go with an international currency of some type. I don't quite recall the details.
  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y

    That may be a better alternative.

    Or to each there own.

  • Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    17y

    OK, So here is where the US eventually can get back in the game. Producing and licensing.
    China proved to be a great imitator. There are not too many inovations coming from China. The US still have the best innovative potential in the world. If we invent new technologies, start producing unique products like we used to, and license those new technologies out. we can get back in the game. By that time, the chinese population who used to eat only rice three times a day, will have the appitite of some new cuisines (Sort to speak). They'll become consumers and one billion consumers are not small change.
    God speed USA and God save us all.... :help:

  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 456 posts · 42 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Eddie Ziv:
    OK, So here is where the US eventually can get back in the game. Producing and licensing.
    China proved to be a great imitator. There are not too many inovations coming from China. The US still have the best innovative potential in the world. If we invent new technologies, start producing unique products like we used to, and license those new technologies out. we can get back in the game. By that time, the chinese population who used to eat only rice three times a day, will have the appitite of some new cuisines (Sort to speak). They'll become consumers and one billion consumers are not small change.
    God speed USA and God save us all.... :help:


    That is WONDERFUL lol! Now all we have to do is find a government that is pro-American businesses and stop sending anybody that makes a buck off to the chopping block. Then maybe we'd have some incentive to produce/manufacture all these innovative products. R&D is the first to go when a company is getting slaughtered.
  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Eddie Ziv:
    OK, So here is where the US eventually can get back in the game. Producing and licensing.
    China proved to be a great imitator. There are not too many inovations coming from China. The US still have the best innovative potential in the world. If we invent new technologies, start producing unique products like we used to, and license those new technologies out. we can get back in the game. By that time, the chinese population who used to eat only rice three times a day, will have the appitite of some new cuisines (Sort to speak). They'll become consumers and one billion consumers are not small change.
    God speed USA and God save us all.... :help:


    Originally posted by Karen Parker:
    That is WONDERFUL lol! Now all we have to do is find a government that is pro-American businesses and stop sending anybody that makes a buck off to the chopping block. Then maybe we'd have some incentive to produce/manufacture all these innovative products. R&D is the first to go when a company is getting slaughtered.



    Good points by both of you, but how can we put this together to improve our dollar and debt situation.

    Maybe a flat tax. Every individual pay a flat tax to be designated for certain income brackets.

    People are eventually going to have to take care of themselves.
    I believe the days of food stamps, social security, and other federal programs like these need to come to an end.
    It's time to stop taking advantage of the system, make some sacrifices and do something for the good of the nation.

  • Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse:
    Maybe a flat tax. Every individual pay a flat tax to be designated for certain income brackets.

    People are eventually going to have to take care of themselves.
    I believe the days of food stamps, social security, and other federal programs like these need to come to an end.
    It's time to stop taking advantage of the system, make some sacrifices and do something for the good of the nation.



    Sorry, Jessie. Not by a long shot. Flat tax is conservative idea to protect the rich from paying disproportionate taxes. That would never fly with the current congress or administration and as you can see, the opposite is happening.
    With regard to cut all social programs and budget-busting entitlements, show me the congressman or senator who would vote for that and go back to his/ her state or district for re-election. No siree Bob...
  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Eddie Ziv:


    Sorry, Jessie. Not by a long shot. Flat tax is conservative idea to protect the rich from paying disproportionate taxes. That would never fly with the current congress or administration and as you can see, the opposite is happening.

    Well the "poor" are going to have to pay their share of taxes someday to. Instead of suckling on uncle sams t*ts the rest of their lives. Instead of paying taxes, these people walk away with a good amount of money in their pockets. Counter productive, don't you think?

    Originally posted by Eddie Ziv:
    With regard to cut all social programs and budget-busting entitlements, show me the congressman or senator who would vote for that and go back to his/ her state or district for re-election. No siree Bob...

    Good point there......
    Dam this world

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Karen Parker:
    Originally posted by Joey Budka:
    So this eminent domain stuff... Let me get this straight: Since we are basically defaulting on our debts with our biggest financier, the country of China can 'foreclose' on the U.S.A.?


    This is the first source I was given. I've seen many reference to it online. I'm sure every one is able to do their own research.


    Sorry to have to be the bearer of reason and critical thinking here, but...

    First, the only "eminent domain" reference provided in this thread is to a post made by some random guy on an Internet discussion board. Now, while that should probably be enough to dissuade anyone from actually taking it seriously (or posting it in the first place!), let me point out that this random guy's source was an article on Hal Turner's website.

    Who's Hal Turner?

    Funny that Karen decided to bring up a reference to Hitler in her comments...here you go:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Turner

    Sounds like the person who started this "eminent domain" rumor was a big Hitler fan (very seriously, not just being derogatory or insulting).

    Sorry to ruin the fun, but sometimes a little critical thinking (and research) can go a long way...

    And, as usual, I'm open to other evidence if there is any...
  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Sorry to have to be the bearer of reason and critical thinking here, but...

    Really?

    Originally posted by J Scott:
    First, the only reference provided in this thread is to a post made by some random guy on an Internet discussion board. Now, while that should probably be enough to dissuade anyone from actually taking it seriously (or posting it in the first place!),...........
    Sorry to ruin the fun, but sometimes a little critical thinking (and research) can go a long way...

    If I'm not mistaken, this threads purpose was neither to prove or dissprove the whole Hal Turner issue.

    We moved off that topic a while ago and it looks like everyone involved seems satisfied with that.

    Everyone can do their own research and decide where they stand on that issue.

    Now lets stay on topic

  • Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Karen Parker:
    Originally posted by Joey Budka:
    So this eminent domain stuff... Let me get this straight: Since we are basically defaulting on our debts with our biggest financier, the country of China can 'foreclose' on the U.S.A.?


    This is the first source I was given. I've seen many reference to it online. I'm sure every one is able to do their own research.


    Sorry to have to be the bearer of reason and critical thinking here, but...

    First, the only "eminent domain" reference provided in this thread is to a post made by some random guy on an Internet discussion board. Now, while that should probably be enough to dissuade anyone from actually taking it seriously (or posting it in the first place!), let me point out that this random guy's source was an article on Hal Turner's website.

    Who's Hal Turner?

    Funny that Karen decided to bring up a reference to Hitler in her comments...here you go:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Turner

    Sounds like the person who started this "eminent domain" rumor was a big Hitler fan (very seriously, not just being derogatory or insulting).

    Sorry to ruin the fun, but sometimes a little critical thinking (and research) can go a long way...

    And, as usual, I'm open to other evidence if there is any...


    OH, SNAP!!!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:

    Everyone can do their own research and decide where they stand on that issue.


    Ummmm...apparently they can't...otherwise I wouldn't have had to be the one to mention that the SINGULAR source of the debated information was a neo-nazi white-supremacist...

  • Investor · colorado springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 283 posts · 45 votes
    17y

    Oh I pointed it out also but several here were still high on the "eminent domain" threat our Feds is having us swallow that they preferred to hush-hush quickly it under the table when it became obvious what an enormity that was. I wouldn't be surprised if they still believed it.

  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:


    Ummmm...apparently they can't...otherwise I wouldn't have had to be the one to mention that the SINGULAR source of the debated information was a neo-nazi white-supremacist...

    Originally posted by Sorin T:
    Oh I pointed it out also but several here were still high on the "eminent domain" threat our Feds is having us swallow that they preferred to hush-hush quickly it under the table when it became obvious what an enormity that was. I wouldn't be surprised if they still believed it.

    I try to stay away from conversations or debates that attack an individual on a personal level. Every individual on this sight is entitled to their own opinion. Regardless of how wrong or right they may be.

    Now that these issues have been discussed in this thread, each intrigued individual may do some research and find out the "truth" for themselves.

    I hope it's not to much to ask, but I'd rather have an open, attack free debate where someone doesn't feel like sh*t after the conversation.

  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 456 posts · 42 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    Originally posted by J Scott:


    Ummmm...apparently they can't...otherwise I wouldn't have had to be the one to mention that the SINGULAR source of the debated information was a neo-nazi white-supremacist...



    Originally posted by Sorin T:
    Oh I pointed it out also but several here were still high on the "eminent domain" threat our Feds is having us swallow that they preferred to hush-hush quickly it under the table when it became obvious what an enormity that was. I wouldn't be surprised if they still believed it.



    I try to stay away from conversations or debates that attack an individual on a personal level. Every individual on this sight is entitled to their own opinion. Regardless of how wrong or right they may be.

    Now that these issues have been discussed in this thread, each intrigued individual may do some research and find out the "truth" for themselves.

    I hope it's not to much to ask, but I'd rather have an open, attack free debate where someone doesn't feel like sh*t after the conversation.





    I continued this discussion under another thread where I brought up other references from Bloomberg and my reasons for wanting to find out more about this. Sorry. I can't find time to defend wanting to know the facts on every thread on here. I literally forgot about this one but to let you in on how the other went see below. I neither feel like sh*t and I especially don't feel wrong in wanting to know the truth. Quite frankly, I feel like its the ones who are trying to stifle that are the ones that should feel ashamed.

    Well of course I believe there is enough evidence to make it worth looking into or I wouldn't be questioning it.



    Okay, now we're getting somewhere...

    Can you lay out the evidence that is available to support this claim so that we can all be on the same page?

    I know about the one random Internet post. What else is there that we should know about?



    Bloomberg states this:

    “In talks with Clinton, China will ask for a guarantee that the U.S. will support the dollar’s exchange rate and make sure China’s dollar-denominated assets are safe,†said He in Beijing. “That would be one of the prerequisites for more purchases.â€

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/310/topics/35940-or-is-it-an-honor-to-pay-the-taxes-?page=3

    From a rational person's point of view, what do have we really have that's worth holding as security other than real estate? Yes, I'm concerned. Maybe for selfish reasons since I'm a real estate investor but my thoughts are, "Am I putting my money into something that could ultimately be confiscated from me?"



    Really? Really?!?!

    I'm sorry, but if anything, this quote should PROVE TO YOU that no eminent domain agreement has been provided.

    Please answer this:

    If eminent domain rights were already granted to China five months ago (as claimed in your other piece of "evidence"), why does Bloomberg believe that China will be asking for a guarantee in the near future?


    Bloomberg states this:

    “In talks with Clinton, China will ask for a guarantee that the U.S. will support the dollar’s exchange rate and make sure China’s dollar-denominated assets are safe,†said He in Beijing. “That would be one of the prerequisites for more purchases.â€



    Okay, so you believe that a quote that says "China will ask for a guarantee" is evidence that the U.S. already provided that guarantee 5 months ago?

    Really? Really?!?!

    I'm sorry, but if anything, this quote should PROVE TO YOU that no eminent domain agreement has been provided.

    Please answer this:

    If eminent domain rights were already granted to China five months ago (as claimed in your other piece of "evidence"), why does Bloomberg believe that China will be asking for a guarantee in the near future?



    Because it also says:
    "That would be one of the prerequisites for more purchases.â€

    Obviously, Hilary's already been over there and they're still giving us money and I find it hard to believe it was her winning personality alone that got them to do it.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    I'm still on the fence here. Probably need to see some more evidence.

    Regardless of whether the eminent domain issue is true or not, China at any point in time may ask for their money back.
    This gives them a whole lot of leverage, don't you think?


    Yeah, I read several articles and read Snopes and it just doesn't make sense. It's blatant, bipartisan political suicide. If it were stock options in a nationalized corporation - that's a little more believable, but there's just something about Americans and their ownership of land that even a socialist has to dance around. I'm going with the position that this eminent domain issue is false. It's like an e-mail I got about a gun ban proposed. It's too "easy" to nail someone on this.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:

    Yeah, I read several articles and read Snopes and it just doesn't make sense.


    Agreed with Tim...

    While there's not much that politicians could do that would surprise me these days, this is one of those things that even the average lazy American would get off his sofa to complain about.

    If there's any proof that this has happened (other than a random Internet forum post), I'm open to it...but it doesn't pass the evidence test nor the common sense test.

    (Of course, most things the gov't does don't pass the common sense test :)

  • Specialist · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2009 · 557 posts · 71 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Yeah, I read several articles and read Snopes and it just doesn't make sense. It's blatant, bipartisan political suicide. If it were stock options in a nationalized corporation - that's a little more believable, but there's just something about Americans and their ownership of land that even a socialist has to dance around. I'm going with the position that this eminent domain issue is false. It's like an e-mail I got about a gun ban proposed. It's too "easy" to nail someone on this.
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Agreed with Tim...

    While there's not much that politicians could do that would surprise me these days, this is one of those things that even the average lazy American would get off his sofa to complain about.

    If there's any proof that this has happened (other than a random Internet forum post), I'm open to it...but it doesn't pass the evidence test nor the common sense test.

    (Of course, most things the gov't does don't pass the common sense test :)

    Understood.

    Do you fellows believe that we offered anything else to them?
    Would there be any way of finding out?

    I highly doubt that the Chinese are satisfied with an iou at this point.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jesse R:

    Do you fellows believe that we offered anything else to them?


    Probably not. The securities they wanted in exchange for the money....they already got when they made the deal. It's a hard position trying to renegotiate the deal after the fact. As far as future deals, again some other sort of nationalized formerly private security - maybe.


    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    Would there be any way of finding out?


    With any reliability....sincerely doubt it.


    Originally posted by Jesse R:
    I highly doubt that the Chinese are satisfied with an iou at this point.


    Again - they took an iou to make the deal. They're kind of stuck with it. There might be some negotiations with future lending but China's in a position where it needs to get it's own books in order. Hopefully that won't mean raping Hong Kong....
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    There's one element to this you really have to think about with China getting eminent domain rights. I think they would honestly turn that down if it were offered to them.

    Think about it. What guarantee do they have that getting "rights" to a land means they get a dime? They want money, not to be landlords of Americans who are under a myriad of local courts and have no reason to honor property taxes to a foreign entity.

    Name one county judge that would rule against his constituency in favor of the Chinese and hope to win his reelection? Name one county sheriff that would enforce the eviction and hope to win his reelection? They'd get the rights on paper and there would be a united "F_ck the Chinese!" attitude about the whole thing. County government is powerful on land rights. It was designed that way for things just like this.

    In all fairness Karen, there's probably something going on between Hillary and the Chinese that we should know about. This is not the first time we've run into improper money deals going on between a Clinton and businesses with a heavy presence in China (hello Lippo Group).

    Tim

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.