Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
16y
I wish that effing scumbag would try that on me, I'm not 67 yrs old, or fragile, and not able to defend myself. That little dirtbag would've been in for a big surprise!!!
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
The tenant - Vega - should never have been allowed to rent in the first place:
That was very poor screening.
My guess is that there was no screening whatsoever; happens a lot with old-timers - and newbies - who never knew that they could have a tenant screened, so they never bothered to learn.
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Even with proper screening, you still need a gun! Think about all the felons that landlords turn down. All it takes is one scumbag blaming the landlord for his problems, because he didn't get the rental. How about all the people that landlords evict, all it takes is one scumbag that blames the landlord for being homeless! How about the non-tenant scumbag that thinks all landlords are rich and therefore attempts to rob them?
I had someone just today that was furious that I turned her and her Beverly Hillbillies family down for a rental. They appear to be DESPERATE to find a place to live. Could they turn violent?
It's a dangerous world out there and it pays to be able to defend yourself.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 289 posts · 95 votes
16y
Originally posted by Joseph Ziolkowski:
Wow! That's horrible. I sincerely hope that that guy gets exactly what he deserves.
What he DESERVES? Knowing our system, probably not. He already has FIVE felony counts against him. He should have been put away long before this happened!
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
16y
I didnt read the first link about the topic until I read everyones reply first. I love guns, Charleton Heston is a hero, I support the NRA, guns dont kill people, people kill people.
To carry a gun is every American born citizens right!!!
I keep telling other landlords that it doesn't matter how nice the applicants seem. it doesn't matter if your gut likes them. You have to screen. Running criminal background is an absolute must.
A $12 criminal background check might have kept this killer out.
I am going to point out, in the landlord's defense that it is possible that he didn't rent to this tenant. Many of us have had the experience of renting to a tenant who then sneaks in an undisclosed spouse, roommate, or boyfriend/girlfriend.
Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
16y
Lets keep things in perspective, shall we? There are more kids killed in the south side of Chicago in one months that there are landlords in ten years.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2009 · 624 posts · 559 votes
16y
This is tragic.
And everyone is right on regarding screening. Once a bad apple is in most of the rules accrue to the tenant.
And to dirve home the point of screening...
I just had a conversation with a client the other day where a potential tenant (Section 8) was otherwise qualified to move in, but when this client did background checks on the prospective tenants' 18 year old son she found a mess that started just after he turned 18. Including getting busted for a concealed weapon.
And of course the 18 year old son was still on the voucher.
Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
16y
Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
Good point Eddie . . . that said, before this becomes a political thread (I smell it coming), lets make sure we stick to topic.
Thanks.
I feel your (almost) pain Josh, but judging by the title of this thread,(...and knowing Tim... :wink: ) I suspect that it is not just an informative thread.
Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
16y
Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
Proper screening AND investing in areas with low, or at least lower, crime.
If I or a PM would need a squad of marines for an escort when visiting the property, I for one would look for another area to invest. No matter how good the CF was.
TC
Yes, that true, however, it is hard to tell in certain areas, what is the direction that neighbourhood is taking. Some titter for many years before they go bust and other get discovered by young yuppies, artists - you name it, and become trendy. - Go figure...
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
If that were true, then I would say GOOD! One more dead scumbag is one less scumbag that might hurt an honest citizen.
However, I KNOW FOR A FACT that we've caught you in a lie here Eddie (sorry to be blunt). It simply isn't possible that kids on the south side of Chicago are being gunned down because carrying a gun is illegal in Chicago (as is carrying a concealed knife or other weapon). Therefore, no one could have a gun (or knife) with which to kill someone! Furthermore, Chicago spends a lot of money on the police and the police are there to PROTECT and serve. With the police protecting people, there can't possibly be a lot of people being murdered.
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Eddie Ziv:
Lets keep things in perspective, shall we? There are more kids killed in the south side of Chicago in one months that there are landlords in ten years.
Oh come now Eddie. That doesn't happen. Obama was a community organizer there for 20 years and he has a Nobel Peace Prize! The south side is just overflowing with peace and it is because they don't allow guns and as soon as an area doesn't allow guns the criminals see the error of their ways, give up their guns and start recycling, driving a Prius and become vegans.
That's the whole point of my thread. I don't need to carry a gun. Because it's not guns that kill people. It's garden tools, ice scrapers, lamps, ropes, rugs and gasoline that kill people.