Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
How cool about last weekend. Somewhere around 100,000 people (or 200K, or 300K or 50K) Showed up for a rally. Non political, non denominational and people found their OWN transportation. What a concept.
Even a MLK relative spoke as well as other leaders. Do you know of ANYONE that could draw that kind of crowd other than Beck, without busing them in?
Man, there sure are a lot of wackos that listen to Beck and read his books. I suggest Arguing with Idiots by Beck. Well documented and footnoted and no attacks about his "facts" in that book as far as I know. Learn the truth about education, healthcare, unions, dorders etc. Pretty cool for anyone that wants to actually read something that is well footnoted, unlike the teleprompter chats by the pres.
Attack the messenger. Can't run on unemployment reduction, economy progress, success in Iraq(Bush and Petraus get credit for Iraq) health care passage, border restoration, cap& trade etc. New projections are dems lose 48-70 seats in House, 8-9 in Senate and 9 govs. How fun would that be! Back to the old stalemate till 2012 when maybe we elect a businessman. Rich
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
16y
What the heck is this thread even about? I thought it was supposed to be about Beck's rally of idiots.
Beck is a blathering moron and I never have understood how people can even take him seriously. In the few minutes I have watched his show I have felt dumber from the experience.
Beck is a performer and is capitalizing on the anger out there right now. Nothing more and nothing less...
From the other parts of this post I would have the following comments:
1. Those that attack education generally never attended and/or couldn't hack it. They then try to tell everyone how worthless it is because of their shortcomings
2. It is always entertaining to me that the people that can barely form complete sentences are the ones complaining about how bad our education system is....this happens almost daily on BP....good stuff!
3. Threads like this one are a complete waste of time and border on theological debates. Blind belief in something won't be changed
4. Those that complain about ad hominem attacks are generally the ones that engage in this activity the most on BP. Some of them even PM you during debates they are losing and call you names and such
For the record I consider myself pretty conservative on fiscal matters. On other things I am all over the map and generally err on the side of the government getting the heck out of my life altogether. For some reason "conservatives" like for the government to legislate morality in some arenas...that has always been comical to me too.
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
I tend to listen to Shawn Hannity, and had to do a search to find out a little more about Glen Beck. It seems people either love him or hate him. Not much in between.
I like the idea of electing a president that is a business man. They might have some practical understand of what really drives the economy or even some understanding of what the grass roots might really want besides a dole.
Real Estate Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2010 · 153 posts · 104 votes
16y
I find it interesting when the politicians are just dismissive of these rallys/ teaparty events and the people who attend them. It shows how far out of touch they are. They really don't get it- this is main stream America, those are their constituents. Hopefully we'll get some fresh faces who know what the world is like outside their political bubble. Maybe they will see the absurdity of spending months on health care legislation while unemloyment goe through the roof and the economy tanks.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
16y
I suspect the reason "politicians" ignore such rallys is because they are attended by those that they consider uninformed and so easily impressionable that all the explanation and contridictions in the world would never change thier simple minds, they can't win them all. There are people that will always follow the most absurd beliefs. Many are so upset over the past election that they want a confrontational environment inwhich to voice thier displeasure.
Glen Beck saw the opportunity and is making millions of dollars giving people what they want, a way to justify thier displeasure without addressing the real issues. Glen Beck, or his writers, are very skilled in propoganda techniques and disinformation. Very suttle assumptions used as a basis to establish opinions that are then construed as fact. It's amazing how stupid and lazy people can be. Most people do not even vote in thier own best interests, they would rather identify with who they would rather be than who they really are.
One of my favorites is the cutting taxes claims. Politicians have actually convinced people that if taxes were cut for the upper, say 5% (of which none are on this site, LOL) they would use those savings to go hire new employees. HOGWASH! If there is a business reason to increase production, they might hire workers, I don't think that top 5% is going to change the demand for computers or stoves. Where the money goes is in their pocket, converted into greater personal wealth, maybe a new villa in France.
The price we pay for civilization is taxes. The wealthier I am, the greater I apprciate civilization. I don't mind paying them. I would rather pay a thousand dollars more and have someone save on their taxes who will in turn buy my house. Which way do you really think I would profit the most....? Dah
IMO, people ought to stop going with the flow and consider what is really best for them and vote accordingly. I have not heard a completly true statement from a politician in a long, long time. Stop listening to what they say and see if you understand what they really mean.
Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
16y
Bill Bill Bill- I'm assuming that you are casting me as uninformed and easily impressionable. I respectfully say you're nuts!
If you consder restoring the honor in this country and fiscal responsibility as absurd beliefs, count me in that group.
Beck doesn't confront the real issues? As that card game says, I call BS. Have you ever looked at any of the chapters in his book Arguing with Idiots?Here they are. Please tell me which of these you DON'T consider real issues in this day and age.
1. In defense of capitalism.
2. The second amendment .
3.Education.
4.Americas' energy future.
5.Unions.
6.Illegal immigration.
7.The nanny state.
8.Owning a home.
9.Economics 101.
10.U.S presidents.
11.Universal health care.
12.The U.S. Constitutiuon.
Please feel free to cite and dispute any of the over 1000 credit/footnotes at the back of the book. Then go ahead and find them absurd. You won't find these "basic", but very detailed and well presented WITH back up info.
Leave the uber rich out of the tax discussion. Lets' talk about the backbone of capitalism, imo. That is the business owner. Most are small business owners at least at the start. If you think they're pocketing any tax savings, again you're nuts, imo. ANY extra money to a small business owner goes into growing the business, inventory, expansion etc. These are all good things and actually do stimulate the economy. Most small businesses are presenting a product or service which is a benefit to others. It actually doesn't take much to be in the top 5% of wage earnings! Someone smarter than me could post that here.
If you're complaining about the top 1%, maybe I'd agree the excess might go into the pockets of "that greedy" owner. That top 1% of wage earners already pays APPROXIMATELY 40% of ALL income taxes paid!
Now, back to the 2-4% of the top 5% of wage earners (business owners). Yes I do believe they'd buy more office equipment, hire more people and expand operations. That is what a small business owner DREAMS of doing! If I net 10%, it is quite obvious I want that net to be based on 2 million in income rather than 1 million.
I know of MANY business owners through Rotary and Chamber of Commerce gatherings that are on the sidelines waiting to see the tax cuts decision in Jan and a complete review of how expensive the hit will be for healthcare changes as well as the NOV elections. That is a fact.
"The price we pay for civilization is taxes." I also disagree with this statement. We can be just as civilized as other western civilizations and pay LESS taxes. If we spent the existing taxes more intelligently, we could be just as civilized as other countries by paying less taxes. The country has been taught NOT to live within its' means and the public has learned it well also. That is the reason the populace and the country are teetering on either BK or worthless money.
How does you paying $1000 more help someone to buy your house? Here is a new concept. Lower your price $1000 and don't pay the extra $1000 to a wasteful civilization that is going to piddle it away. The majority of that will go to entitlements(I doubt that person will buy your house!) , military spending (a very low % of those will buy your house) and interest on the ridiculous debt ( and that invisible person will not buy your house).
There are politicians out there uttering true statements. You just have to look long and hard. Rich
Real Estate Agent · Wheaton, IL · Member since 2008 · 66 posts · 32 votes
16y
Originally posted by J Scott:
Originally posted by Rich Weese:
What a dull thread. I really thought the haters and "attack" the messenger crap would come out. Very disappointed. Rich
Sorry to disappoint, but I don't have much to say about a dropout who claimed to have smoked pot EVERY DAY for 15 years.
I have nothing against people who choose to limit their education and do drugs, but EVERY DAY FOR 15 YEARS?!?!
That's just not my kind of role model...
But I'm glad you like him...
Hi J Scott, I thought those on the left supported legalizing pot? Smoking pot every day for 15 years is a problem? Really?
And did he really drop out of high school?
Well, you know, the reason for that was not enough money going to his school! And his teacher was probably not a union member, so let's just give him a break on this one.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Vlad(IL):
Hi J Scott, I thought those on the left supported legalizing pot? Smoking pot every day for 15 years is a problem? Really?
I completely support legalizing pot. I support legalizing every drug. If people feel the want or need to alter their mental state through the use of drugs, I believe that is their right. I believe people have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies, up to and including suicide (which Beck apparently considered as well).
But, I don't consider someone who believes college is a bad thing and who feels the need to be stoned for *literally* half their adult life to be a good role model for our society...in fact, I believe lack of education and excessive drug use are things that have contributed to the downfall of this country...
I prefer to choose role models who spend their time being productive and contributing to society, not those who drop out of school and spend 15 years straight on the couch getting stoned.
Of course, if you want to look up to someone who does that, or if you want your kids and grandkids to look up to someone who does that, all the more power to you...it's a free country, after all and you can look up to anyone you choose...
Real Estate Agent · Wheaton, IL · Member since 2008 · 66 posts · 32 votes
16y
Originally posted by J Scott:
Originally posted by Vlad(IL):
Hi J Scott, I thought those on the left supported legalizing pot? Smoking pot every day for 15 years is a problem? Really?
I completely support legalizing pot. I support legalizing every drug. If people feel the want or need to alter their mental state through the use of drugs, I believe that is their right. I believe people have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies, up to and including suicide (which Beck apparently considered as well).
But, I don't consider someone who believes college is a bad thing and who feels the need to be stoned for *literally* half their adult life to be a good role model for our society...in fact, I believe lack of education and excessive drug use are things that have contributed to the downfall of this country...
I prefer to choose role models who spend their time being productive and contributing to society, not those who drop out of school and spend 15 years straight on the couch getting stoned.
Of course, if you want to look up to someone who does that, or if you want your kids and grandkids to look up to someone who does that, all the more power to you...it's a free country, after all and you can look up to anyone you choose...
Lets look at your logic.
excessive drug use=one of the things that contributed to the downfall of this country.
yet, you support legalizing every drug (meaning, you support someone using drugs excessively).
Therefore, your views contribute to the downfall of this country. How is it that you expect to be considered a good role model?
Re: college. True, Glenn Beck does not have a college degree, yet, he is more successful than many (if not most) of the college graduates.
Who is a better role model? A PhD in liberal arts from Harvard, whose heroes include Stalin, Hitler and Mao? And who supports legalizing every form of drugs out there?
Or a college dropout, who changed his life around and is running one of the most successful TV programs, Radio Programs and is NY Times bestselling author?
Real Estate Agent · Wheaton, IL · Member since 2008 · 66 posts · 32 votes
16y
Originally posted by Tod Radford:
But Rich, how mean spirited is it to not financially support those who can't do it themselves?
Let's give these people a fish dinner. It's insulting to teach them how to fish...and that's why yellow makes me sad, I think...
Hi Todd, don't let the media brain wash you. Statistics show that Conservatives (yep, not a typo) are more generous when it comes to their money.
Liberals are the ones who like to create gobmint programs. But give little of their money to charities. Not saying there are no exceptions, but as a rule of thumb, if someone is going to actually feed the homeless, help the poor financially out of *their* pocket, that person is likely to be a Conservative.
The person who will likely vote for a gobmint program to help the poor is likely to be a Liberal.
Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
16y
JScott- continues to attack the messenger instead of the messages.
Yeah- lets' keep our kids in an education system that is broken, teaches you little about finances and prepares you to work for something else. Beck is PROBABLY more educated on the 12 subjects in book listed above than ANYONE on BP, including you.
If you think you have more understanding of the subjects above, list it here and impress us.
You think Beck has limited his education? Are you talking about ACTUAL study and research, or the spoon fed mush and "views" elaborated by the professors at "higher education " locations? Beck is better educated on the subjects above than anyone I've seen. NO one has disputed his "views" based on facts in his book.
Continuing to slam the messenger while failing to dispute the message is silly, imo , and gets old. Beck draws a larger, more rounded crowd than anyone else in country, including the pres. There is some reason for that. Get used to it. He'll only get bigger. Watch and enjoy. lol. Rich
This article appears to answer your question. Under certain conditions, yes. Do'nt provide health care paid by the public to these user related problems. Don't legalize it just to raise money through taxing the largest crop grown in CA, according to this interview. Rich
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Rich Weese:
Beck is PROBABLY more educated on the 12 subjects in book listed above than ANYONE on BP, including you.
I seriously doubt that. Though the fact that you believe this tells me a lot about you...
Beck is clearly smarter than the typical American idiot who watches his show, which is why the typical American idiot thinks he's so smart. And I guess that's also why he encourages his audience to stay out of school and remain ignorant (so he continues to look intelligent to them).
But, anyone with a bit of education recognizes that Beck just strings together a bunch of half-facts in an illogical fashion to make incoherent emotional arguments that lack any basis in reality.
While some people prefer to read economic information from those who have devoted their lives to parsing economic data and studying economic theory and trends, I guess others would rather just listen to the off-the-cuff ramblings of a long-time pothead who couldn't pass an Economics 101 class...
Beck talks about getting back to religion...I guess whatever religion he is part of supports spending *literally* half your life sitting on the couch not contributing to society and not bettering yourself and then spending the other half leeching off society's ignorance. Sheesh...
Beck draws a larger, more rounded crowd than anyone else in country, including the pres.
Hitler used to draw a huge crowd when he spoke as well...I guess Beck and Hitler have some things in common...
Hey, that sounds like something stupid Beck would have said... :roll:
Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
16y
JScott- I'll put my intelligence and knowledge up against you any day, if I'm the stupid one reading his books (and others) and watching some of his shows, you're referring to. Has to be based on facts though.
Continue attacking the messenger, while not providing any contradicting info to any of the chapters in the Book mentioned.
You had to go back 4 generations to find a large crowd? Now, thats' funny. Back on thread again, JScott, not tangents.
In response to your applauding the education system, let me be clear. It sucks, period. More biased than Beck, imo and for ANYONE with a brain and initiative, a waste of time. Also, for MOST in this economy, a waste of money. Four plus years, tens of thousands of dollars and very few currently are finding a job in the field they studied. Unless, they studied how to be a slime lawyer or work in a federal, overpaid job.
There, I'm sure I've given you enough little sentences you can find one to rip apart. These are my opinions and very much on the record.
Today is College football, so I'm out till monday. Have a lovely weekend and the offer on the Beck book still stands, if you know anything on any of those subjects.
Or, how about the comparison of those involved in Beck 8-28 rally of Restore the Honor and Faith with the farce being put together by the unions for 10-2. Want to compare messages after that one or won't you like that argument either? That gives you a month to prepare.Rich
p.s. On crowd size, maybe the Pope could draw a bigger crowd, in hindsight, but that wouldn't be a good comparison either, correct?
Shouldn't you be upset that your grandkids are going to be wasting 4 years of their lives instead of bragging about it!?!? Why would you brag about the fact that your grandkids plan to "waste" the next 4 years of their lives?
And assuming your grandkids have "a brain and initiative" why didn't you tell them that college was "a waste of time" and encourage them not to go?
What you say you believe is completely inconsistent between these two threads, so which is it?
That's the problem with people who listen to Beck...they string together inconsistent arguments that serve whatever point they want to make on that specific day and expect that the people watching and listening are too stupid and ignorant to notice the inconsistencies.
Pathetic.
p.s. On crowd size, maybe the Pope could draw a bigger crowd, in hindsight, but that wouldn't be a good comparison either, correct?
Now you're likening Beck to someone who for 25 years didn't discourage or put a stop to the systematic raping of little boys even though he had knowledge of it happening?
Okay, if that's another comparison you want to make...
Shouldn't you be upset that your grandkids are going to be wasting 4 years of their lives instead of bragging about it!?!? ....
In my opinion, a 4 year SCIENCE degree gets you a better job vs. a high school diploma in most cases. However, higher education, like MS and PhD in many cases can be a waste of time and money.
For example, here is salary data for BS Electrical Engineering (EE)
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Bachelor_of_Science%2c_Electrical_Engineering_%28BSEE%29/Salary
Here is the same data for MSEE
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Science,_Electrical_Engineering_%28MSEE%29/Salary
Though there is some difference, it's insignifficant, in my opinion. The exception being Doctorate in Medicine or Juris Doctorate.
Also, there are higher education degrees that are not worth the paper they are printed on in the real world.
Like the liberal arts degrees
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/SavingForCollege/IsYourDegreeWorth1million.aspx
So, if someone is going to study for a 4 year degree in liberal arts... I'd say.. waste of money. Unless the kid just wants to learn how beautiful communism really is and how wonderful it would be to have Mao, Hitler, Stalin or Ahmadinejad as your leader.
(it amazes me how many on the left enjoy the company of the dictators. Remember the Hugo-Obama handshake?)
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Vlad:
So, if someone is going to study for a 4 year degree in liberal arts... I'd say.. waste of money. Unless the kid just wants to learn how beautiful communism really is and how wonderful it would be to have Mao, Hitler, Stalin or Ahmadinejad as your leader.
There are a lot of liberal arts majors on here you probably just insulted by calling them communists, but if that's the way you feel, that's between you and them, Vlad...
Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
16y
Beck's weed was laced with something extra. His broadcast typifies the mentality of a hardcore pothead, making forced connections between unrelated things, delving into minutiae, furiously scribbling on a whiteboard before his fragmented mind looses it's train of thought. It's like diving into a puddle.
Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
I have never been a Glen Beck fan but that does not mean that he isn't right sometimes. Bienes said that Beck's weed was laced with something extra. Well, a parallel to that would be that Obaba's weed was laced with something which is why he needs a TelePrompTer to sound anything close to coherent. Or maybe it was the cocaine he snorted that has made him so stupid.
From what I saw of Glen Becks rally, it was mostly support for our troops. I did not see a 'race card' played at all. I did see MLKs niece speak at the rally. I am prejudiced against only one group of people, that being those who play the RACE CARD. Any group who's main purpose is to advance member's of a particular race is RACIST, by definition. If you want a truly civilized society, race should not even be a consideration.
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has it's limits. But I will admit, Obama is taking stupidity to some uncharted areas. We have a pot smoking, coke snorting, nicotine addicted, inexperienced ignoramus as president. And since he was elected, it proves the inefficiencies of our education system.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
Beck's weed was laced with something extra. His broadcast typifies the mentality of a hardcore pothead, making forced connections between unrelated things, delving into minutiae, furiously scribbling on a whiteboard before his fragmented mind looses it's train of thought. It's like diving into a puddle.
I'm pretty sure 15 years of everyday use of the regular stuff not laced with anything will do that to you...
And it's actually a very good point...the long time pot smokers that I've known have had that same incoherent, paranoid and rambling sense about them as well.
Too bad he spent half his life killing brain cells...
Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
16y
JScott- My bragging was about both grandkids finishing in the top 8% of their class. It also pointed out how one had selected the # 1 college for ENTREPRENEURSHIP training. Supposedly my grand son MUST start a business as part of his thesis.
Those are good things.
My grand daughter showed either
1. how smart she is or
2. how easy HS is by taking jr year AT school and at the SAME time, finished her sr year ONLINE, AND received several $$ scholarships. (why use 4 years?) probably for social bugs.
Her study is theater with a BACKUP of computer tech. Theater is her true love and she felt this was needed to hone her talents.
Not one time did I mention any infatuation with College. It can teach you how to work for someone else, or maybe how to teach. Otherwise, I'll still stick with my original premise, no matter how unpopular it is.I wonder how many BP members are actually using their degree in the field they're in, that graduated in last 3 years?
Most are spending ridiculous money for a degree that WON'T currently be a "good investment".
If they love studying bugs, or the mating habits of marine iguanas,etc. , they probably need to learn that in a college, since those fields never change. (although I learned about the iguanas' habits in the Galapagos last week for free)
My offer still stands, JScott.
Pick any chapter listed above and dispute any point with facts. I'll respond with facts. Let the Board members decide. They'd probably get a kick out of that and learn more about the subject than they could learn in college....
Mike M- as usual with your posts, WAY too logical and support for troops is not what libs like to hear. They hunt for that one phrase they can attack the messenger on, rather than dispute or argue a complete subject. Thats' why I love the book Arguing with Idiots. It is "way cool" and well footnoted and documented.
Vlad- notice again how JScott took one sentence from your post to attack? Didn't want to argue the facts or discuss the links you posted. That is the norm.