Glen Beck at Mall

Glen Beck at Mall

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

How cool about last weekend. Somewhere around 100,000 people (or 200K, or 300K or 50K) Showed up for a rally. Non political, non denominational and people found their OWN transportation. What a concept.
Even a MLK relative spoke as well as other leaders. Do you know of ANYONE that could draw that kind of crowd other than Beck, without busing them in?
Man, there sure are a lot of wackos that listen to Beck and read his books. I suggest Arguing with Idiots by Beck. Well documented and footnoted and no attacks about his "facts" in that book as far as I know. Learn the truth about education, healthcare, unions, dorders etc. Pretty cool for anyone that wants to actually read something that is well footnoted, unlike the teleprompter chats by the pres.
Attack the messenger. Can't run on unemployment reduction, economy progress, success in Iraq(Bush and Petraus get credit for Iraq) health care passage, border restoration, cap& trade etc. New projections are dems lose 48-70 seats in House, 8-9 in Senate and 9 govs. How fun would that be! Back to the old stalemate till 2012 when maybe we elect a businessman. Rich

0Reply
176 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
16y

What the heck is this thread even about? I thought it was supposed to be about Beck's rally of idiots.

Beck is a blathering moron and I never have understood how people can even take him seriously. In the few minutes I have watched his show I have felt dumber from the experience.

Beck is a performer and is capitalizing on the anger out there right now. Nothing more and nothing less...

From the other parts of this post I would have the following comments:

1. Those that attack education generally never attended and/or couldn't hack it. They then try to tell everyone how worthless it is because of their shortcomings

2. It is always entertaining to me that the people that can barely form complete sentences are the ones complaining about how bad our education system is....this happens almost daily on BP....good stuff!

3. Threads like this one are a complete waste of time and border on theological debates. Blind belief in something won't be changed

4. Those that complain about ad hominem attacks are generally the ones that engage in this activity the most on BP. Some of them even PM you during debates they are losing and call you names and such

For the record I consider myself pretty conservative on fiscal matters. On other things I am all over the map and generally err on the side of the government getting the heck out of my life altogether. For some reason "conservatives" like for the government to legislate morality in some arenas...that has always been comical to me too.

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y

    Rich -

    There you go again...bragging about how your grandkids will be wasting their time in college...you must be so proud...

    As for Beck's book, the evidence points to the fact that HE didn't write it. He had a clip on his radio program last year where over the course of about 10 minutes, these issues came up:

    - At one point he couldn't remember the name of the book and has to ask his radio sidekick what it is;

    - He couldn't remember the name of experts that he supposedly interviewed for the book;

    - He had no idea when the book was being released.

    So, either Beck had a ghostwriter for the book (in which case you can't attribute any of the information to him) or Beck's abuse of drugs so messed up his brain that he can't remember some very basic facts, let again complex arguments.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    Beck's weed was laced with something extra. His broadcast typifies the mentality of a hardcore pothead, making forced connections between unrelated things, delving into minutiae, furiously scribbling on a whiteboard before his fragmented mind looses it's train of thought. It's like diving into a puddle.


    I'm pretty sure 15 years of everyday use of the regular stuff not laced with anything will do that to you...

    And it's actually a very good point...the long time pot smokers that I've known have had that same incoherent, paranoid and rambling sense about them as well.

    Too bad he spent half his life killing brain cells...


    I'm wondering if it's something else now (meth?) with his breakneck schedule of radio show, TV show, books, mall, etc. Burning the candle at both ends. He may spin out of control one of these days.

    To Mike's point, Obama admitted using drugs as a teen. I don't get the impression he's a wildman like Beck. Besides, he has Michelle to keep him in line. She runs a tight ship. He was smart to admit his drug use in his book before he ran for office, that way the issue was already neutralized and couldn't be used against him.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    I'm wondering if it's something else now (meth?) with his breakneck schedule of radio show, TV show, books, mall, etc. Burning the candle at both ends. He may spin out of control one of these days.


    There have always been rumors about his continued drug use; and considering he did it every day for 15 years, it wouldn't be at all surprising if there were some issues with psychological addiction that made it difficult to give up after that long.


    To Mike's point, Obama admitted using drugs as a teen...He was smart to admit his drug use in his book before he ran for office, that way the issue was already neutralized and couldn't be used against him.


    Many of our Presidents have been known to use drugs, especially the more recent ones. As long as there wasn't any long-term use that may indicate permenant psychological impairment (according to everything I've read, every day for 10 years is typically the definition of "long term use" for marijuana) and as long as there's no current use that could stand in the way of them doing their job as President, I don't see why it would matter.
  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    To put it simply, drug use of any kind shows poor judgement, whether you name is Clinton, Bush, Obama, smith or Jones. In case you are wondering, the answer is a resounding NO!!

  • Real Estate Investor · MD · Member since 2010 · 124 posts · 84 votes
    16y

    Mike M, please explain what you are trying to say:
    "From what I saw of Glen Becks rally, it was mostly support for our troops. I did not see a 'race card' played at all. I did see MLKs niece speak at the rally. I am prejudiced against only one group of people, that being those who play the RACE CARD. Any group who's main purpose is to advance member's of a particular race is RACIST, by definition. If you want a truly civilized society, race should not even be a consideration."
    Who are these people you are referring to?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by mdlandlord:
    Mike M, please explain what you are trying to say:

    "I am prejudiced against only one group of people, that being those who play the RACE CARD."

    Who are these people you are referring to?




    You've been a landlord for how long? :lol:
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Hey Rich,
    Notice how much this thread has the liberal's all riled up? Lol. Beck has made them pretty nervous.

    Tim

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:

    In response to your applauding the education system, let me be clear. It sucks...and for ANYONE with a brain and initiative, a waste of time.


    Education is a waste of time? Really?


    "Education system" certainly does not equal "education".

    Being in real estate, you've certainly been introduced to at least one profit "system" that doesn't mean a dime of profit.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Beck has made them pretty nervous.


    Absolutely...anyone who spends half their life altering their reality through illegal drugs and converts to preaching paranoid rants about government conspiracies makes me nervous...

    In some ways, reminds me of Timothy McVeigh, the Unibomber, the DC Sniper, etc...

    I'm still really amazed that you guys consider someone who spent literally every day for 15 years stoned out of his mind to be a role model. 15 years!!!

    Consider that Beck's perspective on Ronald Reagan and Bush the First are probably based on reading history books, as he was stoned (and/or drunk) through the entirety of their presidencies!

    In addition, the guy hadn't held a job for more than 6 months up until the time he was 30 years old, had his first wife leave him, and claims his early problems on having ADHD (talk about not taking responsibility for your life).

    That's the problem with this country...people set the bar SO LOW on the types of people they consider role models. Athlete, actors, drug addicts, etc.

    Time to set the bar a little higher, don't you think?

    So, to recap, yes, Beck makes me nervous. As does any doped up idiot I might come across...

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
    Show us your power of logical thinking and take some points from Becks books and refute them.


    This is likely a waste a time, as every time I point out lies by the drug addicts you guys idolize (Beck, Limbaugh, etc), you just ignore me...but since you asked...

    I don't read Beck's books and I don't watch his show, but doing a bit of research, here are some Glenn Beck lies that are apparently well known:

    He says no other President has been sworn in without a bible before Obama:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_f61ClxwAI&feature=player_embedded#!

    That's a lie. John Adams, Franklin Pierce, Teddy Roosevelt and others were sworn in without a bible.

    He said on his radio program on June 10, 2009:

    "Why do we have automatic citizenship upon birth? Do you know? We're the only country in the world that has it. Why?"

    The U.S. is the only country in the world with birthright citizenship? That's a lie. There are 33 other countries where that is true as well. Including Canada and Mexico...he didn't have to go far to realize that what he was saying was a lie.

    Fear-mongering.

    On November 12, 2009, Beck said:

    "Do you know in the health care bill, we're now offering insurance for dogs. Do I need to say any more?"

    Ummm...that's a lie. Health insurance for dogs hasn't been proposed any public version of the healthcare bill to date.

    On June 28, 2010, Beck claimed on his radio program:

    "The government is trying to now close the Lincoln Memorial for any kind of large gatherings. This may be the last large gathering ever to assemble at the Lincoln Memorial. Historic, historic."

    Unfortunately, it's a lie. The D.C. park service denies it, and Beck refuses to provide any evidence that there is any basis in reality to that claim.

    More fear-mongering.

    Check out the 2:00 mark of this video:

    http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/lyin-glenn-beck-fabricates-bombs-sme

    Why did Beck insist there were "BOMBS" (he even said he was there) if there were no bombs? Fear-mongering perhaps? Regardless, a blatant lie.

    Here's another one:

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/29/glenn-beck/glenn-beck-claims-science-czar-john-holdren-propos/

    Funny, I remember Tim saying the same exact thing as Beck last year, and when I asked him to quote the pages, he just ignored me (Tim - lesson is to never take a drug addict's word at face value).

    Can you say fear-mongering?

    Here are a couple more lies, apparently:

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/dec/07/glenn-beck/beck-says-labor-leader-most-frequent-white-house-v/

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/dec/02/glenn-beck/beck-says-less-10-percent-obama-cabinet-members-ha/

    Okay, so there are a bunch of lies that have come out of Beck's mouth that I refute. Would you like to justify them?
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    What the heck is this thread even about? I thought it was supposed to be about Beck's rally of idiots.

    Beck is a blathering moron and I never have understood how people can even take him seriously. In the few minutes I have watched his show I have felt dumber from the experience.

    Beck is a performer and is capitalizing on the anger out there right now. Nothing more and nothing less...

    From the other parts of this post I would have the following comments:

    1. Those that attack education generally never attended and/or couldn't hack it. They then try to tell everyone how worthless it is because of their shortcomings

    2. It is always entertaining to me that the people that can barely form complete sentences are the ones complaining about how bad our education system is....this happens almost daily on BP....good stuff!

    3. Threads like this one are a complete waste of time and border on theological debates. Blind belief in something won't be changed

    4. Those that complain about ad hominem attacks are generally the ones that engage in this activity the most on BP. Some of them even PM you during debates they are losing and call you names and such

    For the record I consider myself pretty conservative on fiscal matters. On other things I am all over the map and generally err on the side of the government getting the heck out of my life altogether. For some reason "conservatives" like for the government to legislate morality in some arenas...that has always been comical to me too.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
    I think Rich has it right. Rather than argue the points Becks makes (in his books and elsewhere), libs like JScott just make emotional attacks and engage in hysterics like an old gossipy woman. What other gossip do you have on Beck? Come on tell us Mildred. What about his sex life? Is he a wife beater? Please share any other juicy tidbit you have before "Oprah" comes on!

    OR, you could show us your power of logical thinking and take some points from Becks books and refute them.

    TC


    Does Beck write his own books?
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    WOW- I'm glad I take sundays off, as does Glenn Beck.

    JScott-The bragging was about finishing in top 8% of 496 students, had nothing to do with college. (actually grand son was in top 1 % and the national merit scholar)
    Flimsy arguments taken one at a time.
    1.Couldn't remember the name of book. He has written a few, and not all have the same items in them. I can understand possible confusion.
    2. Couldn't remember the names of experts- If you'd pick up a copy, turn to the footnotes and start counting the experts quoted.You'll get tired before you reach the end of footnotes. Hundreds of them and many on varying subjects.
    3. As an Author, the publisher decides the exact date of release, NOT the author,,,in ALMOST all cases.

    geeessshhhh! You rant about how wonderful college is, and then you attack Beck for getting his info from history books about Reagan. Seems like you speaketh from both sides of mouth---or like obama, you have a "limited or targeted outlook" on history books. Are only your approved history books ok?

    I never said I consider Beck a role model, nor have I seen anyone else say that. I will accept his info, as long as it is well founded and backed up with facts. I also try to read other books, that are well documented, i.e; Culture of Corruption and currently Crisis Economics, which I've mentioned here on BP. All of these are scary to me as to where the country is being led currently.
    No reason to address many of your other "messenger" attacks, so I'll just re-list them to show how factless and silly they are.
    1. compared to unibomber
    2. compared to mcveigh
    3. dc sniper
    4. doped up idiot
    You lose all credibility when you compare Beck to 2 bombers, a marksman and a skid row person, imo. Very silly.

    TC- method used by attackers is well founded. My offer still stands for J or anyone else here on BP to dispute anything WRITTEN in Becks' book. But, they just continue to attack the messenger.
    I don't care where I obtain my info, as long as it is accurate, and backed up with traceable facts.
    I haven't seen one contradiction to anything Beck said at the 8-28 rally. Knowing the libs, they'd try VERY hard to dispute if they could. Don't you think?
    Info must've been pretty good at the 8-28 gathering. When was the last time obama read from the old teleprompter without being cornered on misrepresentations, etc.
    Oh, btw, I'd NEVER vote for Beck for pres. I want an astute business man to stop the train, and don't consider him that.

    JScott- Rather than finding the "one sentence" in each of your complaints above , how about this route.

    1.Are you glad that obama didn't use a Bible? (looks like that has been pretty standard for nearly 100 years)

    2.Are you in favor of the upon birth citizenship for the U.S.? (out of 200 countries, 15%. Are those who you want us to be like? Any concern about the costs of free citizenship?

    3.I have to admit, I don't have a clue about the dog one.

    4.I've heard about the concern on large gatherings at the Mall and other places as well. Lets' see what happens.

    5. czars, labor leaders and cabinet member links? All of these were produced nearly a year ago, and undoubtedly changed by now. I'd be more than happy to argue these points based on the book I've outlined before.
    I think that touched most of them. Now, back to the 12 chapters I mentioned before. Any takers?

    Bryan- you always make it so easy for me, I get a chuckle. Opening line:

    "I thought this was supposed to be about Becks' rally of idiots".

    Nice wide stroke attack. Geesh- JScott thought attack on the liberal arts majors was bad. You've managed to come up with a REAL wide brush to paint everyone. Just a "few" of the idiots you referred to:
    1. MLK niece(MLK stands for Martin Luther King)
    2. Rabbi
    3. priest
    4. African-Americans
    5. Orientals
    6. Albert Pujols (baseball)
    7. Hispanics
    8. whites
    9. protestants
    10. and mormons
    The funny thing is that these were all ON the STAGE. I'm afraid I don't have any info about the 100,000 in the crowd.

    Sorry you feel dumber from watching his show,,,,, please don't allow it to show here, by making silly comments like your intro. It just lacks any semblance of reality.
    Now to your points, one by one.
    1.I attack current education system for many reasons. I did attend and was on presidents list for grades last 2 years. (on social probation the first year)Dropped out after jr year for a RE opp. The rest is history on that, as outlined in Meet the Investor section here on BP. I've had 6 kids go through the system and now have 9 of 11 grand kids in the system currently. I've seen the changes. Maybe when you have seen the system in that manner, you might also have a different opinion.

    2.I don't use spell check, and my brain works faster than my typing skills.(since I never learned to type in school. I took it in summer school of high school. Due to the short time frame, I only needed to reach 35 words per minute for an A. I could do that by pecking the keys. Great program.) My sentences are still pretty well formed. I also resent you denegrating those that don't form sentences as well as others. Silly argument. What ARE they typing. Not how they're SPELLING it, imo.

    3.theological debate? That is also silly. As I pointed out, many faiths were represented at the Mall and to my knowledge, not one SPECIFIC belief was espoused. Name one if you can, or are you just prejudiced toward the messenger?

    4.Not verifiable so unable to respond. Good "mass" attack though.

    I can see you thinking morality is comical. Is that what you meant to say? Where would you like the line to be drawn on morality, if you don't want the govt involved? Condoms to what age child? (just a sample)
    5
    6
    7
    8
    9
    10
    11
    ??
    never
    I've spent almost 2 hours on this post since I got up early. I'm sorry I won't have time to do that on a regular basis. I type very slow. My offer is still open on the chapters of Arguing with Idiots, by Glenn Beck. I'll even widen that offer to ANY chapter of Culture of Corruption by Michelle Culkin(dang, I hope I spelled that name correctly!) Feel free to post ANY chapter you disagree with. I only ask you dispute it with facts, not silly attacks on the messenger.
    Have a wonderful Labor Day. Go BSU tonite. Rich

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    This thread is a complete waste of synapse firings so I won't do a line by line Rich. Beck is an idiot...plain and simple. Anyone that associates with him or his views is an idiot too in my eyes.

    There are plenty of other conservative talking heads on TV to cite and follow.

    I'll spend my time elsewhere on BP where there is a chance of having a rational debate. The theological discussion (I think you missed the point here...may want to read what I wrote again) won't change anyone's mind.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    JScott-The bragging was about finishing in top 8% of 496 students...

    8% is the top is 92nd percentile. That's an A- where I come from...


    1.Are you glad that obama didn't use a Bible? (looks like that has been pretty standard for nearly 100 years)

    I'm THRILLED he didn't use a bible. Religion is archaic, and defining one or two specific religions (out of the thousands of religions that are out there) for our ceremonies is ridiculous.

    If you want to believe in Allah or Zeus, that's your issue...go do it privately. But don't force the rest of society to come along...


    2.Are you in favor of the upon birth citizenship for the U.S.? (out of 200 countries, 15%. Are those who you want us to be like? Any concern about the costs of free citizenship?

    I want us to enforce the Constitution. As long as that's part of the Constitution, I am in favor of it. If it's removed from the Constitution, I'm fine with that as well.

    If you don't care about the Constitution, that's fine...but some of us do...


    3.I have to admit, I don't have a clue about the dog one.

    So, you admit Beck was just flat out lying? Agreed.


    4.I've heard about the concern on large gatherings at the Mall and other places as well. Lets' see what happens.

    Of course you have...you listen to Beck. He made it up. Find some facts to support it. You can't.

    He lies.


    5. czars, labor leaders and cabinet member links? All of these were produced nearly a year ago, and undoubtedly changed by now.

    It was a lie when he said it...therefore HE LIED!


    I think that touched most of them. Now, back to the 12 chapters I mentioned before. Any takers?

    After you just agreed to three of his lies above that I pointed out, why would I go read his book? To suscept myself to more of his LIES?


    I'll even widen that offer to ANY chapter of Culture of Corruption by Michelle Culkin

    Let's discuss the Beck lies I posted above? Do you disagree wtih them? Provide some facts...

    I love how people say, "Just give ONE example of a lie..." and then when I do, they ignore it...

  • Homeowner · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 123 posts · 66 votes
    16y

    Ugh...why? This thread has become ridiculous, as always. What's the point?

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
    It's absolutely freudian how people who complain about what a waste this thread is KEEP READING THE THREAD AND POSTING ON IT!

    The subject is Glen Beck, and the 8-28 event.

    Just to recap. J Scott has dismissed both because Mr. Beck by his own admission is a recovering alcoholic. IOW he has resorted to the age old tactic of personal attack and diversion.

    Bryan Heacock, just dismisses anyone who agrees with Beck, the millions who regularly listen to his show, and read his books as "idiots". Fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

    I've been listening to Beck for years, before few people even knew who he was. I continued to listen not because I am an "idiot" but because I agree with what he was saying (most of it). And here is the point. I had agreed with the points he was making (limited government...etc.) BEFORE I started listening to him. If I had disagreed, I wouldn't bother with him. The same goes for Limbaugh.

    And now for a funny joke. I was walking in downtown Honolulu one day when a person walked up to me and said: "Sir, I haven't had a bite in almost three days?" So I bit him!

    Georgy Gessell, 1926


    So you only listen to news, etc. to reinforce opinions you already have?
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
    Mr. Beck by his own admission is a recovering alcoholic


    Actually, I was pointing out that he was a drug addict.

    But, yes, you are correct that he abused alcohol as well. Thank you for the additional info...


    IOW he has resorted to the age old tactic of personal attack and diversion.


    Tom -

    It amazing how you don't see the illogic of your posts. You do realize that you just did what you're accusing me of?

    You're attacking me instead of addressing the factual evidence I provided. You're just like Beck -- you like to attack the messenger.

    In your last post, you said:

    "Show us your power of logical thinking and take some points from Becks books and refute them."

    So, I spent about a quarter page listing 8 obvious lies he's told his viewers/listeners. Did you bother to argue with any of my points? Did you even acknowledge my points?

    No, of course not. Because you already knew he was a liar, and the information I provided (based on your "dare") was not at all surprising to you.

    I presented multiple instances of Beck lying. You didn't refute any of them (you just ignored my post), and even Rich shrugged his shoulders and said that one or two of them were unexplainable. Therefore, my only conclusion is BECK IS A LIAR.

    Maybe it's brain damage as a result of long-time drug and alcohol abuse...I don't know. But, clearly Beck has an inability to tell the truth.


    I continued to listen not because I am an "idiot" but because I agree with what he was saying (most of it).


    Are you familiar with the Dunning Kruger effect?

    My guess is that it effects a lot of Beck listeners...
  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    As I posted earlier, I don't care for Beck. But that doesn't mean he isn't right, sometimes. He also lies, sometimes. I have read one chapter of Beck's book, "Arguing with Idiots", the chapter on Capitalism. He makes some valid points. What's wrong with that? Overall, Beck is more of an entertainer than a teacher or commentator. So what?!?

    I don't care for Sean Hannity either, but he is right, sometimes as well. And I have written him when he was wrong.

    But here is the point of the OP, Beck held a rally, mostly to support our troops. He had people of many races, many beliefs, many backgrounds, but they were all there to support our military. So what is wrong with that? You want to make fun of those who attended, that's fine. I make fun of anyone who voted for Obama, including my in-laws and children. My father-in-law finally came around and admitted I was right, that Obama was too inexperienced to handle being President of the US. Just watch, Obama will make Calvin Coolidge look like an Einstein. Obama should have served at least 12 years in the Senate before attempting the White House. He just cost the Democrats the WH from 2012 to 2020 and maybe longer.

    So Beck is a liar, J Scott? Show me a Politician, Actor, Singer, Guru, Athlete, Loan Officer, or any human being who is not a liar. I once read that the average American lies 72 times a day! The most common lie? The one where you are asked, "How are you?" and you say "fine" when you are anything BUT fine.

    So J, here is another easy task for you. Find where Beck has told three TRUTHS and admit he is right.

    Glen Beck had a rally at the Mall in Washington DC. Somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000 attended. The Washington DC police reported no major problems, people were entertained and enjoyed themselves. Does that affect me in anyway? Nope, neither good nor bad. It was just an event.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    TC and others- I've decided that well thought out and documented posts and challenges don't work in politics' threads.

    I tried to delete this post. I opened a new, more specific thread under Education U.S. style. Rich

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Funny, I remember Tim saying the same exact thing as Beck last year, and when I asked him to quote the pages, he just ignored me (Tim - lesson is to never take a drug addict's word at face value).


    I called out the link between progressives and eugenicists before Beck did. As to the Holdren issue, find the thread and see if it matches up to what you say here.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    So Beck is a liar, J Scott? Show me a Politician, Actor, Singer, Guru, Athlete, Loan Officer, or any human being who is not a liar. I once read that the average American lies 72 times a day! The most common lie? The one where you are asked, "How are you?" and you say "fine" when you are anything BUT fine.

    Do you really think that someone lying about how they are feeling is the same as a blatant lie from someone who many trust to shape their world-view?

    Sorry, there's no moral equivalency here...

    People don't generally put their trust in actors, singers, athletes, etc, to help guide them in their world beliefs. But, people DO put their trust in people like Beck to help guide them in their world-view, help put world events into perspective, and help shape their ideals about how the world should be.

    So, when someone like Beck lies about facts pertaining to world events, they are in essence trying to subvert the perception people have of the world, usually for personal gain (trying to get your candidates elected and your religious beliefs endorsed is certainly considered personal gain). That type of thing is dangerous and bad for the country as a whole.

    And I'm not talking about making mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes now and then. People say things in a way they didn't intend; facts are accidentally misrepresented; reports of world events are misconstrued; etc. But, blatantly lying to those who trust you to guide them is not the same thing.

    If your religious leader lied to you about something important, would you ever trust him again?

    To many people, this is exactly what Beck is -- a leader and guider of thought and action, even a trusted confidante. When someone like that knowingly lies for personal or political gain (fear-mongering is a great example), it subverts people's ability to think critically and make important decisions that affect the way they perceive and attempt to mold the world.

    Sorry, but when millions of people trust you to help guide them on how they view the world, EVEN ONE LIE IS TOO MANY.

    All that said, of course some blame has to be on those who trust Beck to shape their world view despite his lies; but as we've discussed on many occasions, there are a lot of stupid people in this country, so I wouldn't expect much less.


    So J, here is another easy task for you. Find where Beck has told three TRUTHS and admit he is right.

    I'm sure that most of what he says is the truth! But when it comes to someone who is trusted to shape world views, "MOST" is not good enough.

    If I found out my wife only told me the truth 95% of the time, I'd divorce her (likewise, she'd do the same if I only told her the truth 95% of the time). Because in some relationships, you need truth 100% of the time in order to maintain trust.

    So, I absolutely believe that Beck tells the truth most of the time. The problem is, it's not all the time, and for most people, they can't tell the difference. Even just one well-timed and well-placed lie can have a very negative impact when you're trusted by so many people.

    If you can't see the difference between these types of lies and "I'm feeling good today" type lies, there's nothing else I can say that will really help...

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    JScott- as you know, I created another thread taking one small part of this. I don't watch the Beck evening show very often, but I do read well footnoted books by him and others---and I read the footnotes. That is where I get my Beck info from.
    I also get uptight when I start a thread about Beck at the mall, and get silly arguments like "everyone there is stupid" Very silly and childish. I do try to study the areas I'm concerned about and check other viewpoints . I'm really concerned on the finances, education and borders of our country and will debate those with anyone. If those are in flames, our country will go down in flames, imo. Current book Crisis Economics is scaring me in the finances area badly. Rich

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    I also get uptight when I start a thread about Beck at the mall, and get silly arguments like "everyone there is stupid" Very silly and childish.


    Don't be. When they start ranting like a virgin teenager who just lost his date to a smooth, older guy, it means they've got nothing of substance, which means you've won.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    ... like a virgin teenager who just lost his date to a smooth, older guy ...


    I guess we'll just have to take your word for this...thanks for the story...
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.