College football weekly update

College football weekly update

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

OK- Everyone knows I root for the underdog (namely non BCS teams) and my heart belongs to BYU. Good weekend.
BYU holds Univ Wash and Heisman candidate Jake Locker to 17 points and zero in 2nd half. This is with a no-name defense, 7 new starters and 2 QB's trading off every other series. Either defense is pretty good or Locker is over rated. No turnovers by either team and very clean game. Other conf temas had couple of good games. TCU beats pac 10 possible conference favorite Ore St , Utah beats # 15 and Big east projected winner Pitt and Boise beats projected something, # 9 Virginia Tech- Ooops, that game is tonite. Look for 4 of top 25 being outsiders of the farcical bcs.
How'd your mighty team do and what creampuff did they play? Okla need not reply. Same yardage as Utah St? At Norman? Make this a thread to report your teams' highlights etc. Good luck to all. Rich

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2009 · 660 posts · 244 votes
16y

Quack, quack ....72-0 Oregon victory vs a D-1 school albeit not a very good one I presume. Easy pre-season schedule so will see how they fare in a pretty good Pac 10 conference. Back-to-back Rose Bowls not out of the question.

See this reply in the discussion

65 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    ZeroU is overrated every year.

    Texas didn't look real hot, but I guess that is to be expected with a young QB. Hopefully they will straighten out any kinks next week against Wyoming before the UCLA game.

    None of the teams have looked all of that great to me for the first week. Did anyone see that Oregon slaughter game?

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Part of ore game. New Mexico has new coach and totalled 107 yards.

    BYU also started TWO new QBs. True freshman that will be competing for heisman in a couple years and a backup from last year.
    Their starter from last 3 years just sent Leinhart packing from AZ. Max Hall.

    Where are the other college football fans? Did all your teams suck? Rich

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Yeah...they sent the whiner packing to the Texans....even more reason for me to not like them!

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2009 · 660 posts · 244 votes
    16y

    Quack, quack ....72-0 Oregon victory vs a D-1 school albeit not a very good one I presume. Easy pre-season schedule so will see how they fare in a pretty good Pac 10 conference. Back-to-back Rose Bowls not out of the question.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    It seems the Huskies lost to BYU. That's okay the dogs will do better next time.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Is anyone else watching Boise State pwm Va Tech at home right now?

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    ya bryan, i'm watching it right now...best game this season so far...very exciting back and forth

  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    16y

    Congrats to Boise State!

    I think VT had the worst play calling and clock management I have seen in sometime now.

    I'll be at the OSU - Thug U, game this weekend cheering on my Buckeyes!

    I expect a pretty good game, but I believe my Bucks pull it out 26-17.

    Is it me or did the high and mighty SEC look terrible?

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Only 1 week, but the SWC didn't look great with their top teams either. Okla by ONLY 7 over utah st? Tx not overly exciting in one of their warm up home games. This week should tell us a lot.
    How about that non qualifying conf Mountain West.
    TCU over decent team from Pac 10
    Utah over Pitt
    BYU over Wash and Jake Locker
    Boise (next year MWC team) Rich

    p.s. Any other conf have that good of a weekend by their top teams?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    There is no such thing as a SWC anymore Rich...you are dating yourself!

    Boise State was pretty impressive last night. They may have the best team in the country right NOW and their schedule is pretty light for the rest of the season.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    There are some GREAT CFB games this weekend...which game is your favorite for the weekend?

  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    16y

    I'm a Big Ten guy and I'm hoping for a PSU upset over Bama, but I do not see that happening with a freshmen QB.

    As much as I hate to say it, I think scUM will pull out a W against ND.

    I will pick FSU over the Sooners in a very close game.

    I'm looking forward to watching the Ducks and Vols play after attending tOSU game.

    I will be at the shoe decked out from head to toe in S&G.

    tOSU 27
    MIA 17

    GO BUCKS!!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    I don't really care much about most of the games, but they should be good. I am hoping FSU hangs a several touchdown beatdown on OU though...would make my weekend!

  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    16y

    Who does Texas play?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Texas plays Wyoming at home so we should chalk up a "W" heading into our big OOC game with UCLA. I have season tickets, but I am in Milwaukee this weekend so I can't go...plan to spend all weekend at Bar Louie drinking copious amounts of beer and watching great CFB all Saturday.

  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    16y

    That sounds like a fantastic plan.

    I just wonder what Wyoming team will show up considering the tragedy they experienced this past weekend. I still think Texas will win by at least 3 TDs.

    Whats the expectations for Texas this year with a young QB?

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    I want FL st over Ok. My BYU plays at fL st on the 18th, and I'll be there. They have to get by air force this saturday and are barely favored. Game is on anniversary of 9-11 and all kinds of honors being handed out. It also starts the BYU ferwell to MWC tour before starting as independent next year.
    I want ala and oh st to lose. They only play maybe 1 game ooc against anyone, so this is the only real chance to go down a few notches. Rich

  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    16y

    Looks like BYU only plays one ooc game against anyone #17 FSU. Whats your point? tOSU and Bama only have to play one tough ooc game because their conference is more difficult to compete in week to week. I think the majority of the top programs only play one good ooc game each year. Some how everyone wants to point out tOSU.

    GO BUCKS!!

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Alex- glad you asked. I like level playing fields, which of course bcs is not. Here are some thoughts comparing OSU (not Ore st.) and BYU. It is difficult for BYU to schedule big name schools unless they want to only play in the homecooking stadium and no home/home series.
    That will change with BYU independence and 8 year contract with ESPN to broadcast EVERY BYU home game for next 8 years. Big name schools will now come to Provo.
    Anyway- feel free to comment on these comparisons.
    First OSU schedules

    2010- EIGHT home games(only 4 away games-all conference required) 1 decent game and
    marshall
    ohio u
    eastern mich

    2011-
    akron
    toledo

    2012- 4 ohio high schools , since there won't be any II-a schools or jr. colleges left to play

    BYU
    2010
    Univ wash from Pac 11
    FL st AT Tallahassee
    Nevada
    Ut St- (just lost 31-24 AT okla

    2011
    start season
    AT Ore ST
    @ texas
    UCF
    UT ST.

    2012
    Ore st
    Boise
    Haw

    2013
    Boise
    Texas
    Hawaii

    BYU has signed 6 game home and home with Notre Dame to be finished by 2020. Most likely, ND will have to be added to at least one of these years above.
    Before you try to tell me conf is tougher, I call BS (as in card game). I believe Utah, and TCU are rated higher than ANY 2 in the big 2 /little 9 conference. If you add Boise (which joins conf next year) that would make 3.
    This is my complaint against the system. Care to shoot holes in the above, feel free. This is done in a fair way and not singling out OSU. Most of the big schools are chicken to go play good teams on the road , due to concern about losing. BYU graciously tha nks FL ST, TX, Boise and ND for taking the chance.
    With pressure and $$$$$ added by ESPN in the future, BYU is well situated for better games. ESPN will require it, although our schedules look better than most even now, imo. Rich

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Garret Gilbert has insurmountably-high expectations after following Chris Simms, Vince Young, and Colt McCoy. McCoy is CFB’s all-time leader in career wins so there is no reason to believe that Gilbert can meet the expectations because they are unrealistic. He is a great QB and was one of the nation’s most highly recruited athletes coming out of Lake Travis.

    Texas has many question marks this year and I don’t think any realistic fan expects us to compete for the MNC again. Our hardest game this year is likely to be Nebraska on the road, but for some reason we own them historically in the conference so there could possibly be a psychological edge. Their defense will be great again, but I think their offense is still suspect this year.

    I have no idea what happened to the Texas running game. Some tight ends have been hurt the last few years so I have heard that screws up their blocking schemes on offense. I don’t see us having much of a year unless we can get that corrected this year. Of course…Texas has 9 straight 10-win seasons so a “down year†has still been pretty good.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    The Ducks and the land thieves looked most impressive this weekend. Alabama looked great too!

    Ohio State looked good except for special teams and my horns looked suspect again.

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2009 · 391 posts · 257 votes
    16y

    Go Air Force!!!!
    Sorry Rich

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Chris- no problem. We took our lumps, and were whipped in every category. Air Force was pumped up (9-11), last chance to beat BYU and facing a very young defense early in the seson. Then, 3 turnovers and we're dead. Good luck to AF the rest of the way. Rich

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2009 · 391 posts · 257 votes
    16y

    Rich,
    I did not watch the game just caught the final score. I did see the game last Saturday. My middle son started out there this year and my wife and I were out there last weekend for Parents weekend. Unfortunately, it was record high temperatures last weekend so the game was not very fun even though Air Force beat up on a lesser team that week.
    BYU has beaten USAFA the last 6 times I believe. We won only 1 of 4 when I was a cadet so we will take them when we can.
    Best of luck to your team as well.
    Chris

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    I guess Florida State was pretty pissed about that beat down they received from Oklahoma. They took BYU behind the woodshed!

    Texas looked awful and won by 10.

    None of the other games were very eventful except possibly Notre Dame vs. Michigan St. and Arizona vs. Iowa.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.