What Topics Are Missing From the BP Blogs?

What Topics Are Missing From the BP Blogs?

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I haven't read through all of the BiggerPockets blogs and it would take forever to catch up so I was wondering what topics everyone would like to read more about. Raising money, RE strategies, business entity setup, etc.

What is missing that you would like to read and learn more about?

2Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 689 votes
16y

More on:
-Tax strategies for wealth preservation.

-Starting out, intermediate level: LLC funding, business structure, different RE investment strategies & how to balance the mixture, working with others, growing business, milestones, timelines, etc

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 286 posts · 255 votes
    16y

    Local market forecasting. Not that I'm going to believe a single word of what's written, but it's interesting nonetheless.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 689 votes
    16y

    More on:
    -Tax strategies for wealth preservation.

    -Starting out, intermediate level: LLC funding, business structure, different RE investment strategies & how to balance the mixture, working with others, growing business, milestones, timelines, etc

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Thanks guys.

    Anything else from BP nation?

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I'd like the same things as Mark - how to save on taxes as a real estate flipper and also how to raise funds to grow your business.

    But I will not read a blog written by anyone. We'll need subject matter experts to write it, not someone who just does a google search and puts it all together. (e.g., if Don Konipol writes about raising funds, I would read it.)

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Yeah...Josh has assembled a team of experts to write about topics on the blog. I was just trying to figure out where the gaps may lie for future use.

  • Renter · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2010 · 43 posts · 11 votes
    16y

    FHAA laws and regulations, disability act, Hud, and how it relates to real estate financing, investing, etc. My search here has come up with something via real estate, which was great. When I used the keyword FHAA, nothing came up at all.

    I am new here, and still doing a lot of searching. BP is very addicting, which is a great thing in my eyes.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Katie Fairchild:
    When I used the keyword FHAA, nothing came up at all.


    Did you mean FHAA? Or did you mean FHA?

    I've written a good bit about FHA rules and regulations, as have many others, so there's plenty out there on FHA...

  • Renter · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2010 · 43 posts · 11 votes
    16y

    I did mean
    FHAA, Fair Housing Amendment Act of 1988. But I need to go look at your writings as well, as FHA is something I am interested in as well. Thanks so much, and will follow you.

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    16y

    Most fair housing articles include all the current rules. The three different acts generally aren't seperate because combined they make up the fair housing laws that we all have to follow. If you have a specific question, feel free to make a post and we can help.

  • Renter · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2010 · 43 posts · 11 votes
    16y

    The FHA act of 1968 designed to stop housing discrimination by Federally funded housing providers. The FHAA of 1988 was passed by Congress to extend the FHA's protections against discrimination to people with physical disabilities. There are so many law cases about this, and I was just curious to find on BP how it has affected realtors, investors, landlords, buyers, etc. via blogs, articles, forums on BP.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    The FHAA (Fair Housing Disability Act) has some far reaching consequences, but is rather limited in SF dwellings being excepted. However, with Realtors, if someone with a disability calls a Realtor to see a property, the Realtor must make accomadations for that person, including going to pick them up and hual them over ther and back again! OTH, if the person is not qualified for that property, they have no obligation....very touchy subject.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    And, a subject I have not seen here is:

    ETHICS! Realtors are supposed to live by a Code of Ethics......what about investors? Conducting your business in a leagl manner is one thing, being an ethical investor is another!

  • Renter · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2010 · 43 posts · 11 votes
    16y

    Thank you so much for your reply. It is a very touchy subject, especially in Single Family homes. Several SF homes decided to make their homes available as group homes, and has become a popular idea, as well as a needed goal. It has spawned hundreds of court cases, mainly due to the HOA wanting to prevent this and variances being denied. Mine was such a case, with me suing the city and the HOA suing me. Both cases were dropped, and I did get the variance. I was just interested to read if others had encountered this and have read that group homes are a good investment, I am off topic now, and will not comment on it here anymore, but thank you so much for replying.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Katie Fairchild:
    Thank you so much for your reply. It is a very touchy subject, especially in Single Family homes. Several SF homes decided to make their homes available as group homes, and has become a popular idea, as well as a needed goal. It has spawned hundreds of court cases, mainly due to the HOA wanting to prevent this and variances being denied. Mine was such a case, with me suing the city and the HOA suing me. Both cases were dropped, and I did get the variance. I was just interested to read if others had encountered this and have read that group homes are a good investment, I am off topic now, and will not comment on it here anymore, but thank you so much for replying.


    Katie, group homes are another animal and as you mentioned changing the use changes the status of the property as well. You might start another thread on this subject if you like...
  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    16y

    I'd love to see if anyone has come up with any creative solutions to the HVCC guidelines that have now been on the books about 18 months or so. Aside from the obvious, such as using the lowest comps as a best case, I'm curious if anyone has found a way around getting stuck with an appraiser that is either incompetent or not familiar with the area.

  • Portharcourt, 0 · Member since 2010 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    16y

    How about investment prospects in Africa, questions like would you invest in an African country? Lets examine the different views. I'm African.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    I wanted to bump this post again to see if others have comments. It will help those that are blogging each week and need topics that people are interested in reading about.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Anything else guy? I am looking for a topic for the week.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    i just started a blog...sorry vikram but the info may not be sophisticated enough for you--it will be geared more towards newbies, since i, myself am only 24 and am just a few years into REI...as far as the info i'd like to see, i'd be interesting in reading more on the new EPA laws for rehabbing older properties..

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I love your new blogs Bryan. A focus on small regional banks and commentary on it is an excellent idea!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    Oh neat a blog section! going to look for time management, negotiating, and networking. If its not there in abundance i will let ya know

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I don't tend to see a whole lot of posts on those topics Jimmy. Proper networking would be a great topic for my next blog post!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    I'd like to see a blog about the glorious deals Champak Shah gets in GA. Those with $90k spreads on $150k exits! Certainly we all could benefit from deals like that! :wink:

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    And while we're at it, let's have Mr. Shah explain how to get a "Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure" accepted by the first lender when their is a second loan on the house, since he indicated that this can be done.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Maybe he can blog about it....that topic certainly is missing from the BP blogs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.