Who inspired you to get into real estate?

Who inspired you to get into real estate?

Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes

Was it a big name and/or guru like Carleton Sheets, Donald Trump or Robert Kiyosaki or was it your parents, an uncle, a college buddy?

(Seeing as I'm new here; I apologize if this has been discussed before.)

1Reply
122 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
15y

When I was growing up I didnt know what I wanted to be. My parents are professionals and make a good living, but I wanted to be rich. I looked at my parent's friends and the riches friends either were big dogs at a public company or were in real estate. I picked real estate because I always saw those guys taking two hour lunches or playing golf in the middle of the day on a Tuesday.

Little did I know, these real estate investors were mostly second generation and that this business is a ton of hard work. I am about four years into my career now and I am still working 7 days a week and often 10 or more hours a day. This is a business, and like any other start-up it is a ton of work. If this business does not kill me, It will make me rich. I look forward to sitting on my dock at my future Florida retirement house fishing for Snook and Tarpon. Until then its back to work.

See this reply in the discussion

96 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · NC · Member since 2010 · 28 posts · 31 votes
    15y

    Though I'm a newbie, my mother got me interested in real estate. My father does some buying and holding in Florida, but my mom taught me about wholesaling and that is what I am currently doing. It is great because we are doing it together.

    With that being said, I will also mention that reading Larry Goins book got some fire under me and got me excited and motivated to actually start making deals.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    My parents made a lot of money in real estate by buying property in Austin when it was dirt cheap. That sparked the interest and a lot of training fueled it.

    I love finance and modeling so real estate is a natural fit.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    My father inspired me. I worked with him as a young teen building a small barn and a chicken coop. Later, I learned accounting and met other in construction and real estate that further sparked my interest.

    I can't really say that what Donald Trump, Bill Gates or others like them ever did made any meaningful impact in my life.

  • Homeowner · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2010 · 82 posts · 21 votes
    15y

    My Grandpa inspired me. He was always traveling to different countries and opening health clinics for the villagers with the money he earned from real estate.

    Then, when I got married, my husband helped me along the process and now here we are!

    Maybe a little bit of Robert Kiyosaki :)

  • Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes
    15y

    So far, of the 1st 4 replies in, the consensus is that family has been the main inspiration/motivation for getting involved in real estate. Who else wants to join in? Was nobody out there brought into the field by aspirations of bein the next Donald or desires to live the Sheets lifestyle? ;)

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Kevin, I think there are plenty of those, but IMO they quickly fall by the wayside. It would be fascinating to hear from someone that has stuck it out though that this was were there inspiration came from.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    When I was growing up I didnt know what I wanted to be. My parents are professionals and make a good living, but I wanted to be rich. I looked at my parent's friends and the riches friends either were big dogs at a public company or were in real estate. I picked real estate because I always saw those guys taking two hour lunches or playing golf in the middle of the day on a Tuesday.

    Little did I know, these real estate investors were mostly second generation and that this business is a ton of hard work. I am about four years into my career now and I am still working 7 days a week and often 10 or more hours a day. This is a business, and like any other start-up it is a ton of work. If this business does not kill me, It will make me rich. I look forward to sitting on my dock at my future Florida retirement house fishing for Snook and Tarpon. Until then its back to work.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I don't have a single stand out influence, but I do remember when I had a lawn care business in my early 20's that there was a another lawn care guy in his early 40's that had 50 SFR's around and north of White Rock Lake in Dallas. I wondered how that was possible. I know now, and have admiration and respect for what he accomplished.

    Bryan, when were your parents buying in Austin? What kind of properties? Do they still have them?

  • Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes
    15y

    Charles-- Yes, that is what I was thinking, as well.

  • Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes
    15y

    Jeffrey--I'll await the invitation to the retirement house-housewarming party!

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    15y

    I had a freind (deceased now) that was a self made millionaire in realestate. I wished I knew then what I do now. He would have loved JVing with me. I guess my most recent inspiration has come from approaching retirement age. I don't want to be doing what I am doing now in 10 years. I am going to make REI replace my current income and benefits so I can get out of the rat race while the getting out is good. I can't hack the boss or the pace much longer.
    Don

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    15y

    I was a chef for 11yrs before a friend ( at the time ) of mine convinced me to come to Memphis and work with he and his partner. Though I was nervous and scared to change professions after doing one thing for so long, it has turned out to be the best thing I have ever done. Even though I do not work with my former friend due to greed & power, I work with a great group of people and have met many wonderful people along the way.

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    Bryan, when were your parents buying in Austin? What kind of properties? Do they still have them?

    They bought in the 70s, 80s, and a bit in the 90s. They aren’t fat cats by any stretch…just bought 3-4 properties along the way and did really well. With Austin growing so fast right now I think it is pretty hard to screw real estate up here.

    They were just SFRs. They still have a few, but sold some of them to deleverage for retirement. They will leave a few to me later on. One is near downtown and was bought for $10kish in legacy dollars and is now worth $350k or so. Nice!

  • Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes
    15y

    Bryan--Legacy dollars?

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I was inspired by the thought of doing something that I was motivated to do, that I absolutely loved to.

    I am an accountant by profession, but I am definitely not born to be an accountant, I am just paid to be an accountant.

    Real estate is what gets me going.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Legacy dollars means they were worth more then than they are now.

  • Real Estate Investor · Walled Lake, MI · Member since 2010 · 121 posts · 66 votes
    15y

    I read Rich Dad Poor Dad, and it completely flipped upside down the way I thought about money...been investing in real estate ever since I read that one book...

  • Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes
    15y

    Bryan-- That is what I thought you meant, but don't recall having heard that term before.

  • Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes
    15y

    So far, it looks like Todd is the 1st non-family/non-friend inspired real estate investor to respond to this thread. Anyone else?

  • Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes
    15y

    Ok, I'll be the first one to confess here: my introduction to the world of possibilities with real estate was Carlton Sheets. I was intrigued by his infomercial, then went & bought his course at a large discount off eBay.

    Who else wants to add their initial experience to this thread?

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    i was inspired by my college...i saw how much they were charging me and my buddies to live in an apartment and i knew i had to get in on it...as much as i hated that college, they gave me my career.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    A guy named Chili, a CG who built the house I leased, got me thinking, then a local judge who was my neighbor added to the idea as he held properties, then I went to a RE Broker and showed me the basics to start. So, I'd have to say several gave me the initial push.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2010 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    15y

    If its important to you - simple economics. No family ties, no inspiration, and definitely not any of the well-known authors you mentioned. Just simple economics - that's where the money is.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Hollywood, CA · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    15y

    Great topic!

    I was foremost influenced by my mom. She always used say to me when I was a kid that "maybe real estate isn't where our money comes from but it's where our money goes to". That's how my parents managed to go from poor to wealthy by the time I was born :D

    But my parents never were business savvy or dreaming big. Always modest and low risk (not that I'm saying anything bad about it...). I don't want to sound banal but a lot of my influence in that perspective comes from The Donald. His footsteps are just great to follow, and I hope to walk a few miles on his road.

  • Private Money Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2010 · 146 posts · 47 votes
    15y

    Thanks Ty!

    Mr. Trump wasn't my first inspiration, but I do have a good deal of admiration for the man. I think I've probably read/listened to all of his books/audiobooks; some of them multiple times!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.