Ryan - Romneys' V.P. choice - thoughts?

Ryan - Romneys' V.P. choice - thoughts?

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Romney named Paul Ryan as his choice for V.P. candidate... Personally, I love it, and think it will get the focus on the economy and solutions for America. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 689 votes
14y

Ron Paul is the clear choice for president. But since we're stuck with Romney, at least give us Paul Ryan!

Give us Liberty, or Death!

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    I agree somewhat, I think Ryan is a great choice, for the conservative right but will likely lose the middle. Ryan has been the lightning rod for (and rightfully so) to the no compromise congress. He may be Romney's Palen.

  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 211 votes
    14y

    It certainly shows his campaign tactic will be economy, economy, economy. Ryan has been and will be mercilessly characterized by the left's PACs as throwing Grandma over the cliff. Maybe there is more to the creit card abuse in Florida than is widely circulated and that's why he didn't go with Rubio, who would have been my preferred pick.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley I'm surprised at you! I live in California where the Democrat policies have been in full force for 60 years, with massive government funded programs that give our tax dollars to pedophiles, ex cons, drug addicts and alocoholics under the guise of disability, free educations and priority to illegal immigrants, government unions demanding unsustainable benefits and wages, higher taxes a constant theme on our ballots, environmental regulations that require 8 different grades of gasoline throughout the state (which raises prices), hundreds of thousands of acres of farmland that cannot be farmed due to the Dems putting water for smelt over farmers, car registration fees so high that many lower and mid income people (especially the unemployed) are losing their vehicles, a community college system that is so top heavy it now takes 4 years for kids to finish a 2 year program for transfer to a university, and much much more.

    California has a huge number of cities now in the process or ready to file bankruptcy. They cannot afford to pay for all the benefits negotiated in previous years with government employee unions.

    The governments, both state and federal cannot continue spending money they don't have and expecting future generations to pick up the tab. It's a ponzi scheme in the truest sense! Can we go write out checks with no money in the bank and then go tell our neighbors they're on the hook for the bill? It's crazy!

    So.. for all of you more liberal thinking people.... COME TRY OUT SOCIALISM IN CALIFORNIA...We have huge areas of unemployment where the "real" numbers are 20%, or more. IT DOESN'T WORK!!

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 689 votes
    14y

    Ron Paul is the clear choice for president. But since we're stuck with Romney, at least give us Paul Ryan!

    Give us Liberty, or Death!

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    @Karen M. nicely said. Gave you a vote on that.

  • IL · Member since 2012 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    14y

    I don't know what Romney was thinking with this pick. He's just energizing his already energized base while losing independents.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Mike B. Actually most independents are fiscal conservatives, so Ryan should be a perfect choice. Besides, what is it Obama does for Independents?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Hey now, I'm not living in Cali nor am I a socialist. I just believe that big business is worse than big government and I certainly don't want wall street dishing out social security benefits, as they will likely do what they do with all funds, fee it to death with super bonuses, really, look at their record.

    I just hate going into Wal-Mart and hearing some clerk tell me that instead of doing something that logical to cure a problem that it's not their company policy. Maybe a better example would be cell phone companies engaged in clearly illegal marketing activities and telling you it's company policy, knowing good and well they will get away with it with tens or thousands and pay a small fine. We could talk about banks. You're losing your liberties alright, to corporate interests and have been for decades.me thing. I kinda get a kick out of seeing all the little people defending the extreme wealthy, as if they truly believe they have a chance to join their country club....just funny....

    I'm certainly for making big money, having a great life, but that's not the agenda any longer, it's all about money and power, which are practically the same.

    But, be that as it may, IMO, Ryan is the "my way or the highway" guy, not a statesman at all. That type of thinking only leads to conflict and no one really wins. One almost killed the economy the next one may finish it off passing the country's wealth to private hands.....Good Luck!

  • IL · Member since 2012 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Karen M.:
    Mike B. Actually most independents are fiscal conservatives, so Ryan should be a perfect choice. Besides, what is it Obama does for Independents?

    If they're fiscally conservative then they won't like hearing that Ryan's budget proposal adds trillions to the deficit while slashing social security, medicare and medicaid. That's all the independents are going to hear about from now through November, and a lot of them will stay home on election day because they think either choice will increase the deficit.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    The deficit.....

    Let's say you have a house and a mortgage, you can rent it and in the best market due to condition is a small loss each month. You could borrow even more and redo the place and over time repay the loan and mortgage with the increased rents, what would you do? You'd probably borrow and fix it up for more money. Sometimes, you can't just say I'm not going to borrow one dollar more regardless of what it's for. You can not save your way out of debt as fast as you can earn your way out along with some savings. Most here should understand that it takes money to make money. Spending can increase GDP, take it all away and the economy will fail.....which seems to be the plan for some....

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Karen M.:
    COME TRY OUT SOCIALISM IN CALIFORNIA...We have huge areas of unemployment where the "real" numbers are 20%, or more.

    If California were truly socialist, the unemployment rate would be lower than the rest of the country (not higher). In addition, there wouldn't be the huge divide between the rich and the poor within the state -- one of the largest divides of any state in the nation.

    It's also worth pointing out that the innovation that's come out of California for the past 20 years (both technology and media) is what has propped up the country's economy and kept us one of the richest nations in the world. That was hardly the result of socialist business practices.

    So, while there are certainly socialist aspects of the California economy, if you honestly believe California is socialist, I would argue you don't really understand what "socialism" is.

    As for the original topic of the thread, I like Paul Ryan when it comes to fiscal policy. But his social policies are no different than the rest of the puppet-masters pulling the strings of the Republican party these days, which I'm not a fan of.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley There are only two idealogies in America. Big government, and the free enterprise system. Allowing government to take more and more control of our daily lives, and charge us higher taxes in order to pay for it will lead us into becoming a third world country. When will the point come that the workers at Wal Mart just don't want to go to work anymore because it is more profitable to stay home and pick up a welfare or disability check; and let someone else go to work to pay the freight? Then when that happens enough, what happens? Who works in factories and service jobs then? Not to worry... government will be there with the government running industry like in China, and citizens being forced into labor.

    On the other hand, we can keep private industry and a free market system. Of course there are big corporations, and there are filthy rich people, and there always will be. That's part of the system. At the same time, it's not government that chooses who gets to be rich, we all have the opportunity to start a business and grow it, invent something, work for someone else, buy and sell real estate for a profit, etc.

    I personally don't want the government telling me I can't buy a large soda, or put salt on my food, what kind of car to drive, etc.

    In my opinion, this election is the most important election of our lifetime. It's an election that will keep America a free country like we've known, or turn the corner to becoming a Europan socialist type government.

    I personally think Paul Ryan is a genius, that knows what has to be done to save the country, which isn't a job for the faint at heart. I think together with Romney they have what it takes to salvage the country for our kids and grandkids, and bring us back to being the most powerful country on earth, built on the foundation the founders set in place!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Karen M.:
    Bill Gulley There are only two idealogies in America. Big government, and the free enterprise system.

    It's that kind of thinking that keeps anything productive from happening.

    In real life (as opposed to what policitians have tricked you into believing) there is actually a lot of ground in the middle of those two economic ideologies.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Have some more kool aid my dear, that's okay. :)

    I agree with aspects of both sides, absoluetly not all of either. It takes both sides for solutions and we won't have that thanks to types like Ryan for a long time.

    There is alot of gray area you left out, the country is not just made up of some poor benefits cheater, nor made up entirely of folms making 250M and paying less in taxes than I am or soaking the corporate welfare system. There's lot of in between and that's what makes the country work.....
    LOL, Me personally, I'm pretty safe regardles of who gets in there, fall in the parade

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
    Have some more kool aid my dear, that's okay. :)

    I agree with aspects of both sides, absoluetly not all of either. It takes both sides for solutions and we won't have that thanks to types like Ryan for a long time.

    Sadly, politicians want us to believe that there are only two sides, and you're either "for us or against us"...you can't possibly believe some of both sides (and some of neither).

    More sadly, some people apparently are falling for it...

    Oh well.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley J Scott I'm not saying there aren't a large number of people in the country in the middle. What I'm saying is that the political system allows for us to vote for one of two parties, not three. As I see it, the Republicans represent the Constitutional principles and free enterprise system America was based on, and the Democrats represent a more socialist, government controlled ideology. We have to choose one, because like it or not, one party does win and take power.

    Paul Ryan acutally was brought up under Jack Kemp that was very bi partisan, and in favor of helping the poor and less fortunate. I think Ryan has that same heart. I know one thing, California is a proving ground for government controlled ideology, and it's not a good outcome! Reagan was the model for free enterprise, and it was a great model! I'll go with the Republicans..

    If you give a man a fish you've fed him for a night, if you teach a man to fish, you've fed him for his life... Dems want to give you fish and the Republicans want to teach you to fish and provide for yourself.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2012 · 184 posts · 76 votes
    14y

    Seems to me a large part of California's problems are constitutional. Direct democracy does not lend itself to a comprehensive/coherent plan to run a state. "Do you want X?" Yes! The crowd cheers. "Do you want to pay for it?" No! The crowd roars. Direct democracy sounds good- but it doesn't require people to see all the moving parts so they can make the tough and/or smart choices. This is a problem for any party or ideology.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Karen M.:
    What I'm saying is that the political system allows for us to vote for one of two parties, not three.

    Karen M. -

    You have proven what I said above -- some people honestly believe that there are only two sides, and we're doomed to one side or the other. The Republicans are trying to convince you that the other side is a vote for communists and the terrorists, and the Democrats are trying to convince you that the other side will push your grandmother over a cliff. And sadly too many Americans are falling for it.

    Well, that's not the way it works. An idealized political party doesn't control this country (at least it shouldn't), and neither does any one person. We have LOTS of federal representatives and even more state representatives, and very few of them fall directly in line with their party's platform.

    With the right set of representatives in power (again, not just the President), we can achieve this thing called COMPROMISE, where the best of each side (which ultimately should be the best for this country) can prevail.

    Some of our best Presidents have been successful because they understood the need to break from the ideology of their party and to compromise with the other side. Two recent examples:

    Reagan raised taxes almost 1% of GDP during his time in office (the largest peace-time tax increase in history); he "negotiated with terrorists" (Gorbachev was the most evil person on the planet back then, according to most Americans); he fought for the rights of gays and lesbians 30 years before it was popular; and he granted amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants. Despite all that, he's a hero to many in his party.

    Bill Clinton gave massive power to corporations, insurance companies and investment banks; he signed welfare reform acts that required people to get jobs; he left office with a budget surplus; and he spent a ridiculous amount of money on the military and defense. Despite that, he's a hero to many in his party.

    Why did they break from their party's ideology so extremely? Partially because they had to -- congress put appropriate pressures to ensure that compromise was reached, even if it didn't toe the party line. And partially because the American people required it -- they didn't accept political stalemate and bow to the ridiculous threats of the party leaders.

    Sadly, the two Presidents we've had since Reagan and Clinton were more about divisive policy as opposed to constructive compromise.

    And sadly, too many Americans have now been indoctrinated into believing that that compromise can't happen any longer, as if some fundamental shift in the rotation of the Earth has made it so that working together for the good of the people is no longer an option.

    When Americans stop demanding compromise (because they are tricked into believing the other side is so misguided that no compromise is possible), that's when this country is doomed.

    I like to think we're not there yet, but reading some of these posts makes me wonder...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    Just when BP Nation was safe and free of politics, it is back!
    I need to find a pillow to scream in now. See ya in a few hours.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    Well I don't want to get too political on here.

    I guess I am considered a liberal because as of right now neither party is really making me jump up and down to vote for them.

    I believe Government is necessary TO AN EXTENT just like FREE ENTERPRISE.When one dominates the other the power swings too much in one direction and we are out of balance as a country.

    Obama keeps increasing the debt and create more bloat with Government programs.I don't like that.The unemployment rate in Washington is I believe 1 percent or so.The majority of other states are taking a bath with high unemployment.

    The Republicans still haven't figured out that to win an election you have to win the middle (undecided) voters !

    You already have the extremists on your side but yet you PINE for their vote !

    I still have to this not seen the Republicans grasp this concept.Palin was way too far out there to get the majority vote.Had someone else ran with John he might have one.With his age people were worried John was going to croak and Sarah would be left with the red button which is a scary prospect.

    I think what can scare some people is Romney is really powerful,has money,and is Mormon.Is he really going to only push politics as President or his religion that does not make up the majority of the United States views??

    I feel people vote for people for the wrong reasons.I know people that are very ethical and very religious but would make a horrible President.I believe you should vote for people on how they perform or you think they will with the job.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    J Scott Unfortunately, both sides have people in them that are extremists. I don't believe that Paul Ryan or Mitt Romney are in that group. Mitt Romney governed in a liberal state. Paul Ryan needed Democrats to get elected. I belive they are pretty well balanced.

    Kama Ward you're right about the system we have in California where if you get enough votes for a referendum on the ballot it becomes law, and doesn't matter if it makes sense or whether or not it's good, if the people pass it, it goes. It's crazy!

    All of those crazy ideas, along with the demands of the huge number of government employee unions in California, and excessive environmental laws, etc. have pushed Calfornia to the brink of disaster. The entire country will be in the same place as California if we don't elect someone with the courage to make the tough choices. Look at Europe. Romneys experience with turning around companies with Ryans genius on economics is the dream team for the times.

    Obama had control of both houses for two years and did nothing on immigration reform (a huge problem for California) or come up with any solutions other than spending more money and hope it gets things going... it didn't and won't. The fact of the matter is, Obama has said before that he thinks America should adopt the European model.

    Ryan was able to get Dems to vote with him on issues, as did Romney. I think they're the best chance we have for salvaging the country.

    Joel Owens I'm not worried about Romney's being a Mormon. Mormons are some of the nicest, community minded people there are. He's donated huge sums to charity, even giving away his inheritance. Though I don't agree with the Mormon religion, I think they have very strong family values; and he has unquestionable character, as does Paul Ryan.

    So.... I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Karen M.:
    J Scott Unfortunately, both sides have people in them that are extremists. I don't believe that Paul Ryan or Mitt Romney are in that group. Mitt Romney governed in a liberal state. Paul Ryan needed Democrats to get elected. I belive they are pretty well balanced.

    I don't believe I ever claimed either of them to be extremist. I also don't believe the current President/VP are extremist.

    My point is that the party leaders WANT YOU TO BELIEVE the other side is extremist. I would bet that if you're a Romney/Ryan supporter, you probably think Obama/Biden are extremist. And if you're an Obama/Biden supporter, you probably think Romney/Ryan are extremist.

    That's why you have an "us versus them" mentality and a "all hell will break loose if the other side wins" mentality. That's the mentality that your party's leadership wants you to have (whichever side you're on).

    And from what I've read of what you've written, it appears it's worked on you.

    And it's worked on too many of the American people, which is why we're in this mess...nobody wants to work with the other side because they believe the other side is a bunch of extremists that can't be compromised with.

    It's sad. And it's destroying our country. People need to wake up and stop being puppets to their party leadership.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    I am still undecided right now on who to vote for.Will wait and see what happens.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Karen M.:
    Though I don't agree with the Mormon religion...

    What? You don't believe God lives on the planet Kolub?

    For what it's worth, I'll likely vote for the guy...Mormon beliefs are no crazier than any other religion...

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    I believe that Obama is an extremist,, because he is. There are more moderate Democrats, Obama just doesn't happen to be one. I don't need anyone to convince me of what these parties believe, I've been around long enough to remember what the Democrat party used to be, and even belonged to it for years.

    In reality it was never meant for people to have to be able to raise hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars to be elected, nor for politicians be full time legislators. The system itself creates the atmosphere of politicians being sold to the highest bidder. The whole system is broken!

    However; with all our flaws, our country is the greatest on the planet, and I want my kids/grandkids to grow up in a country and be able to keep some of what they earn, practice any religion that choose; and not have every aspect of their lives controlled by a heavy handed government. Once the government controls a huge segment of the populations housing, food, medical care,and income, it creates the foundation to move from a free market system into socialism.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.