• Real Estate Investor
  • Novi, MI
Votes |
College Nonsense

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Novi, MI
Posted Apr 16 2013, 14:10

So I'm currently finishing up my last couple weeks in my college career.

I'm getting to the point where I never want to go back to a college campus and I have fully determined that my friends at school simply don't understand me.

I just got out of a business class where a panel of "experts" came in and gave us what they considered "advice" about what our future plans should look like. Every single person told us to get a job, build a career, work at it for 40 years, and stuff our savings and 401k accounts with everything we can so we could survive till death.

All I hear at school is get a job, get a job, get a job (Or as I and others prefer to call them, J-O-B's...just over brokes.) Anytime I mention to somebody that I don't want to build a traditional career and that I want to start my own RE business they look at me like I have three eyes. I give them my reasons for doing so and it's like I'm speaking in another language.

I just cannot stand the entire mindset that I feel colleges teach, the slave mentality that only looks at the side of being an employee for somebody.

Every piece of traditional "advice" that I have received in school (Get a good career, get advanced certificates to climb the ladder, hand your money over to a professional to manage your retirement for you, etc...) makes me cringe and I want to yell out that there is another side of the world that you people are not even seeing!

The whole thing is really draining especially since nobody other than my fiance and other people here on BP really understand how I feel and think.

Anyone else experienced this same thing in college or in their families?

Loading replies...