Buying a Rental home as your first ever home purchase

Buying a Rental home as your first ever home purchase

Chicago, IL · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I'm new to the real estate world and have been introduced on how to sell contracts to make a penny without having to actually own the houses or buy the properties but what I'm very interested in is having a multi family rented out. I'm going on 25 next month and feel I'm quite a bit behind with savings and investing but I'm ready to turn myself around

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2021 · 33 posts · 25 votes
4y

@Joshua DaVanon Congrats on the decision to make some changes! You won't regret getting into real estate. 

I just turned 29 and I have never owned a primary residence. I do have a portfolio of 32 rentals which I have accumulated over the course of ~4 years. Had I owned a primary residence I would not have been able to grow the way I have. I moved into a very affordable duplex to decrease my expenses and save some money. It happened very quickly. When I went to the bank to get my first loan (5 unit multifamily) I had no existing debt to hurt my debt to income ratio which made the lending process simple. Having decreased my overall expenses (by moving into a cheap rental) my w2 income was more than enough to support the purchase even without the rental income. If your goal is to get into multifamily - go for it! Don't let the pressure of purchasing a primary residence get in the way.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2021 · 33 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @Joshua DaVanon Congrats on the decision to make some changes! You won't regret getting into real estate. 

    I just turned 29 and I have never owned a primary residence. I do have a portfolio of 32 rentals which I have accumulated over the course of ~4 years. Had I owned a primary residence I would not have been able to grow the way I have. I moved into a very affordable duplex to decrease my expenses and save some money. It happened very quickly. When I went to the bank to get my first loan (5 unit multifamily) I had no existing debt to hurt my debt to income ratio which made the lending process simple. Having decreased my overall expenses (by moving into a cheap rental) my w2 income was more than enough to support the purchase even without the rental income. If your goal is to get into multifamily - go for it! Don't let the pressure of purchasing a primary residence get in the way.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Edward Holland thank you I appreciate it edward

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Edward Holland Congratulations on your success. That's impressive.

  • Rental Property Investor · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 54 votes
    4y

    There’s no problem with that formula at all. I’m 34 with 80+ rentals and I’ve never owned a primary residence. 

  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    You are definitely not behind, and go at your own pace! Do enough of your own research, learn how to find and analyze a deal and it won't matter when or how much you started with. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    @Joshua DaVanon this is what I want to do but my husband wants to buy a single family home. I don't know much about real estate but feel a rental property would be best. Is the process pretty much the same?

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Shkeysha Jones it's a different loan but the process is similar from my understanding as I mentioned I have not gone through the process but would love to help in anyway i can. Best of luck to you and your husband. The way I sold it to my spouse was we own the building say in a year we want to have family move into the unit across from us we have that ability.( I'd like to rent mostly to public friends and family never work out) but it's a great thing to own a place to rent out especially as a first investment because you have a place for you to live as well if you'd like to conserve costs

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.