The Multiple Choice Offers Strategy: Attract and Close More Deals

The Multiple Choice Offers Strategy: Attract and Close More Deals

Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes

Maybe you’ve heard of the marketing tip where a salesperson should never ask a yes or no question.

For instance, “Would you like to by it” is a Yes or No question and often ends with a No. But, “Which one do you like the best? This one or this one? What do you like about it?”, often ends with the customer choosing and option and stating what they like about it. This kind of strategy closes more deals and is well known in the sales and marketing industry.

One day it occurred to me to use this strategy to make offers. I call this strategy the Multiple Choice Offers Strategy.

It worked so well for me the first time I tried it, that I ended up getting 5 offers accepted in about 30 days. And it’s now one of the main strategies I teach.

Here’s how I did it. I started by putting out ads, bandit signs, car decals, direct mail, etc. You know, the usual.

The day that first ad went out, I started getting some phone calls. Promising full market value got people excited. And you’re probably wondering, “How can you make a profit offering full market value?”

How I Can Make a Profit at Full Market Value:

1. First of all, Full Market Value is a relative term. It all depends on what comps you’re using to prove what buyers are willing to pay for a property. It’s my job to do a thorough analysis of the comps. That way, I can help the seller understand my opinion of their house value.

2. My ad says, “Full market value minus repairs.” So, it’s also my job to show the seller what issues the house has and what needs to be done to the property to get it into sellable condition. Then I can discount my offer by the cost of those repairs and maybe also some upgrades.

3. When I submit my multiple choice offers, I encourage the seller to sell the property to me as a For-Sale-By-Owner. This way, I can discount my offer by the amount saved in Realtor commissions and closing costs.

4. And finally, I always encourage the seller to use Seller Financing. I do this by presenting Multiple Choice Offers. I always have my lowest offer as the cash offer, my highest offer as the seller financing offer, and my middle offer as the split seller financing offer (small down payment & seller financing the rest).

Using all of these options not only gives the seller several options to choose from but it also allows me to make a discounted offer. Along with my offer, I also them a numbers analysis that compares the end profit they would make with a full price offer through an agent vs my FSBO Offer.

And I always craft my offer to show the seller a slightly higher profit if they accept my offer rather than a conventional offer through an agent. Look at the figures below to see how I can present the seller with a higher profit than a full price offer through an agent while still leaving myself room for a profit.

Here is an Example Multiple Choice Offer I Made:

  • Offer A: $210,000 100% Seller Financing for 3 years.
  • Offer B: $195,000 with $15,000 Down and Seller Financing for 2 years of $180,000.
  • Offer C: $179,000 all cash now.

Illustration of End Profit, Real Estate Agent vs. our Offer A:

Potential Full Price Offer through a Real Estate Agent - $240,000 – Selling Costs: 6% REA commission ($14,400) + 3% Closing costs ($7,200) + 4 mortgage payments at $2,000 while waiting to sell ($8,000) = $29,600 in selling costs.

$240,000 - Purchase Price

- $34,050 - in selling costs

$210,950 - True Purchase Price after selling costs

-$135,000 - your loan pay-off

$75,400 - your end profit, full price offer through agent

Our Offer A of $212,000 - Full Market Value

$212,000 - Purchase Price at Full Market Value

-$135,000 - your loan pay-off (no selling costs)

$77,000 - your end profit, FSBO Offer Today

Here’s how it all worked out. They were current on their mortgage payments, they had a lot of equity and their house needed no repairs. The husband was being transferred for his job needing to relocate and they needed to sell quickly. That’s why they called me, for a fast sale.

They were hoping to get $249k because their neighbor's house sold for $240k. They shows me an appraisal of $263k. They owed $135k. I showed them that their house would not sell for more than $240k by showing them my lower end comps and showing them why the comps used in their appraisal were too far away in a higher end neighborhood.

After going over my 3 offers above, they countered at $212k all cash now because they saw my logic in the numbers and their end profit after saving agent and closing costs. And they also pointed out that they wanted nothing to do with Seller Financing.

I countered back at $195k all cash now. They countered again at $205k all cash. I countered at $200k all cash now. They said no. I accepted their offer for $205,000 all cash now. My high comps were 247k. There were no repairs needed. I sold within about 60 days at retail for $239k as FSBO, giving me a $34,000 gain. After about $16,000 in selling, holding and closing costs, my end profit was about $18,000.

Now, here's another example of a Multiple Choice Offer I made from that ad:

Offer A: $101,500 100% Seller Financing for 3 years.

Offer B: $95,000 with $5,000 Down and Seller Financing for 2 years of $90,000.

Offer C: $86,500 all cash now

This seller told me he had recently built a small house with a plan to rent it out as a cash flow investment. He didn’t have luck renting it out, so he had rented it to a friend for $500/mo when his mortgage payment was $850/mo (a $350/mo loss). He was about to start school which was going to be expensive, his friend was ready to move out and his wife was threatening divorce if he didn’t sell that house!

After running comps, we could see that the property value was no more than what he owed the bank. He had zero equity (no bargaining room). So, we had to get creative to make room for a profit.

Knowing that we couldn’t offer him less than he owed the bank, we realized the only strategy that made sense for this particular situation was a Seller Finance Rental. Our plan was to make his mortgage payments for several years while we rent the place out, in which time the house value would appreciate while the mortgage balance would decrease, creating room for profit in the end.

The value of the property at the time was about $105,000 and he owed $101,500. Appreciation in the area was about 6%/yr at that time. We projected that would be worth about $118,000 in 2 years and $125,000 in 3 years.

Our rental market research revealed that we would only be able to rent the place out for about $650/mo. Since the place was almost brand new, we wouldn’t have any rehab costs. So we asked that he also pay $200/mo towards the mortgage (hey, a $200/mo loss is better than a $350/mo loss, right?).

This One Worked Out Well in the End:

We knew he wouldn't be able to accept offers B and C because he owed too much and was short on cash. But the beauty of Multiple Choice Offers is that unappealing offers make the other offers look better. That's the whole point.

He ended up accepting our Offer A for full price with 3 years Seller Financing while we rent the place out. He was willing to pay the $200/mo towards the mortgage because it was saving him $150/mo. He was also relieved to turn everything over to someone else and get out from under that house that had been nothing but stress for him.

After about 3 years, we sold that house also for a great profit.

Steps to the Multiple Choice Offers Strategy:

Step 1: Create a Detailed Seller’s Questions Sheet.

Step 2: Put Out the Ad in as many places as you can: “I will buy your house today for full market value minus repairs.”

Step 3: Interview Sellers when they call in. Keep your Seller’s Questions Sheet with you. Get inside the Seller’s head to understand their motivations so you can craft your offer to meet their needs.

Step 4: Preliminary Due Diligence and Analyzing the Deal. This step is one of the most important and requires further explanation.

Doing in-depth research on a property is critical to a successful deal. But the secret to getting more deals done is a quick elimination process. So don’t spend too much time on it until your offer has been accepted.

It’s okay to start with sites like Zillow.com, Trulia.com, Redfin.com, Realtor.com, etc., to get a vague idea of a house’s features, photos, and value. But beware that those sites can be extremely inaccurate.

You can do a simple test to prove it. Do a Google search for: home value websites. Compare the values you get from the various property value estimation sites for the same house. You’ll see how widely the values will differ.

The only way to know what a house is really worth is to get real comps from a local agent and analyze them carefully. The formula for analyzing comps for an accurate house value is a discussion in itself.

I know it's tempting to use those sites because investors typically get held up trying to get a realtor to run their comps. I can help you with that. Just let me know. I always get my comps within a day even when I'm needing comps everyday. It's easy if you know the tricks to it.

* * * If you base your offer on an inaccurate value from an instant house value site, you could lose thousands. Don’t risk your investing career. Use a Realtor for comps!

Once your offer is accepted, you can use your due diligence period to do deeper due diligence to confirm with county records things like how much the seller owes, whether they are current or delinquent on their mortgage loan and more.

This is also when you should have an inspection done. Never skip the inspection. It will reveal many things you didn’t know about the property that will directly affect the profit you make in the end.

Step 5: Visit the Property. Make sure to visit the property and the seller in person to confirm the repairs, the condition of the property and their motivations. While you are there, make sure to take a look at any comps or appraisal the seller has. Then show them your comps (which you have previously analyzed very carefully). Show them all of the details that confirm your property value number.

For example, if your comps are more comparable in size, age, proximity or condition, make sure to point it out. If they have no comps or appraisal, just show them all of the details of the comparable homes in order to help them understand your property value number.

This step will help tremendously with the amount of offers you get accepted.

Step 6: Create and Present Your Multiple Choice Offer. Now is the time to take all of the information you’ve gathered so far to craft several offers that will appeal to the seller as I did in the offer examples above.

Step 7: Email the Sellers a letter explaining the logic of your offer and illustrating numbers crunches that show how they will make as much or more profit from your FSBO Offer vs a Full Price Offer through an agent. Then call them or visit them in person to go over all of the particulars of your multiple offers. If they don't choose one of your offers on the spot, follow up with them a day or 2 later after they've had a chance to think it over.

Using this strategy for the first time, I bought 5 houses in 30 days. Once I started making Multiple Choice Offers like this, I became a much more successful investor.

I'd Love to Hear Your Feedback and Questions about this strategy or others. Please Post!

5Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
7y

Good points. I've always offered a 3 scenario LOI as well. Option 3 is a lease option scenario is the main diff with mine, and I start with all cash, then grow the price with SF and a LO as option 2 or 3. Anchor it first.

You are giving up a ton in equity capture with your 100% SF scenario is my main observation.  Dollar for dollar or more?   To keep from having to put $15k down, the buyer is paying $15-20k more for the house? Save some $ already and don't be afraid to put money down.

Closing costs differ in every state, so I'd caution folks about offering nothing down.  Once your seller realizes (at the last minute) they have to bring 2-3%ish to closing, they'll probably freak and blow your deal up  Most sellers don't want to pay to sell you their propery.

Lastly, it's not worth it for me to buy a flip with only 15% equity.  That $34k in 'profit' is probably more like $6k after finance/partner costs, closing costs, holding costs, lipstick/cleaning, Uncle Sam and your state taxes.  Just sayin.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · KINGSLAND, GA · Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Good Stuff, Thanks

  • Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    My pleasure. Good to meet you Paul!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    This was a very informative article. Thanks for writing it. 

    I am curious how the seller, in your first example, had zero closing costs. Did you offer to pay his costs? Typically, in Florida anyway, the seller would have about 2% of the purchase price in closing costs (if there were no real estate agent commissions in the deal). The majority would be for taxes (doc stamps on the deed). Maybe this did not apply in your case. Or maybe those are typically buyer costs in your state?  

    Thanks so much and loved the article!

  • Jackson, WY · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    This was a really great and informative post!  

    I had a question regarding the seller financing strategy-  Did this ever trigger a due on sale clause?  

  • Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    Not so far. Generally the bank is happy as long as they are getting their money.

    We've done some seller finance deals where the bank didn't even know about it because we set up an escrow account to automatically make payments each month on time. Banks are used to getting payments from escrow accounts.

    But we've also done some deals where we contacted the bank to let them know that we'd be bringing the loan current and making the payments during the rehab and selling afterwards to pay them off. And they were fine with that, especially since they would have to deal with a foreclosure.

  • Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    Alex,

    We find that motivated seller's are often not in the position to pay closing costs anyway. Often they are motivated because they are in a bad financial spot. We're used to covering the closing costs (usually minimal because when seller's call us there's no need for an agent or commissions).

    So, even when we have a seller who could pay the closing costs, as in example 1 above, we pay the closing costs anyway because they need the extra motivation to say yes to our offer. Saving them Realtor fees, closing costs and months of house payments is a huge incentive to say yes, so we close more deals and more than make up for paying those closing costs in the end.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Excellent. Makes perfect sense.  Thanks Lori!

  • Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    Great. Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 74 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Thank you for writing this article. Just recently I begun the multiple options strategy with my offers and amazingly have more contracts. I do find that when they agree to a zero down Seller Financing option that they request I pay closing costs. So far I have dodged that but how often do you pay the closing for the Seller? I am thinking maybe it is not a big deal and I need to stop being so frugal in that area considering Seller took an offer I myself was embarrassed initially to make...lol.

    I only wish I knew the multiple options strategy much sooner.

  • Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    This is certainly no big secret in the seller financing world. I just question if Biggerpockets is now allowing posts like this because it's nothing but lead generation.

  • Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    @Sarah S. I'm glad to see it's working for you. We pay it when the seller accepts an offer that stated we would pay it or when we know the seller can't pay it. And those situations are almost always FSBO so the costs are minimal compared to when there's an agent commission.

    And not to say that I don't work with agents. I love agents. The whole point of strategies like this is that it helps get more deals done. And that includes using agents. Even the agent's commission is well worth it if it helps me buy more deals and sell those deals faster so I can move on to the next.

    So I'd say that if you adjust your thinking from being focused on cutting costs to doing whatever you need to do more deals, you'll not only be more successful but you'll be happier too because you're not stressing over every little dollar spent. Covering closing costs to get more deals closed is worth every penny in the end.

  • Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    @Mckila Q. Thanks for voting on this post. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

    Lori

  • Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    So, I realized that at the beginning of this article, I forgot to say exactly what the ad I referred to was supposed to say. And BiggerPockets won't let me edit it or post another article with the correct info.

    So here's what the ad is supposed to say: "I Will Buy Your House for Full Market Value minus Repairs."

    Once you know that, the article will make more sense.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    seems to me this post is a blog.. 

    Regardless offering  A B  C terms is pretty easy.. and I guess if no one has heard of the concept this is good into

    We have had this one in our quiver since the mid 70s  LOL.. although sometimes you give them analysis paralysis and then they have to talk to their CPA and their attorney and they don't understand etc etc  ( seller) so probably want to figure out the business acumen of the seller  Lest you confuse them

  • Specialist · Huntsville, UT · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs Thanks for your feedback. I'm sure lots of other investors have thought of or heard of or used this kind of strategy. But I myself never had never heard of it when I thought of it and I didn't learn it from anyone else.

    And after sharing it with hundreds of my mentoring students, not one of them had heard about it. So, I feel it is a beneficial strategy to share.

    BiggerPockets is a great place to share strategies.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    Good points. I've always offered a 3 scenario LOI as well. Option 3 is a lease option scenario is the main diff with mine, and I start with all cash, then grow the price with SF and a LO as option 2 or 3. Anchor it first.

    You are giving up a ton in equity capture with your 100% SF scenario is my main observation.  Dollar for dollar or more?   To keep from having to put $15k down, the buyer is paying $15-20k more for the house? Save some $ already and don't be afraid to put money down.

    Closing costs differ in every state, so I'd caution folks about offering nothing down.  Once your seller realizes (at the last minute) they have to bring 2-3%ish to closing, they'll probably freak and blow your deal up  Most sellers don't want to pay to sell you their propery.

    Lastly, it's not worth it for me to buy a flip with only 15% equity.  That $34k in 'profit' is probably more like $6k after finance/partner costs, closing costs, holding costs, lipstick/cleaning, Uncle Sam and your state taxes.  Just sayin.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.