Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y
Real estate market in the Bay Area is cooling.
What exactly that will translate to is anybody's guess. My guess, and it's just that a guess, is that appreciation is going to slow and the balance of power will shift away from listing agents and be more balanced between buyer/seller (shift has already happened in no small part, actually).
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y
I dont know the San Francisco market...however the question is probably asked about once a month, for about the last 5 years. Most of the people who answer always say yes this is the top, a collapse is imminent.
Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
Check out socketsite.com
Luxury condos aren't doing hot in SF and there's some examples on that site that are interesting.
I think the key here is that it's specific condos some of which were likely overpaid and now we're seeing true value but it's more of unique situation then city wide trend.
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y
Real estate market in the Bay Area is cooling.
What exactly that will translate to is anybody's guess. My guess, and it's just that a guess, is that appreciation is going to slow and the balance of power will shift away from listing agents and be more balanced between buyer/seller (shift has already happened in no small part, actually).
Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 200 votes
7y
Across the country, not just in the bay area, real estate is cooling. I have investments in TX, Kansas City, Ohio, a number of east coast cities, FL, etc. Every city is reporting signs of slow down - longer DOM, seller reducing prices, etc.
I can not speak for SF. Below are 2 example I have personal knowledge on:
My uncle just sold his home in Cupertino (Apple headquarter) in October after house was 2+ months on the market. A 2300 sq ft one floor 4 bedroom home with swimming pool and big lot (8000+ sq ft). Asking price was $2.7M, it was sold for about $2.3M.
I see similar price reductions in Palo Alto, where I live. In Nov 2017, my real estate agent told me she sold a home in Palo Alto, 2 bedroom 1 bath about 1200 sq ft with 5500 lot for $2.8M! She told me about 2 weeks ago that she is listing a home 1 block away from it, 3 bed 2 bath 1600 sq ft with 6500 sq ft lot. Home is completed remodeled inside. Price reduced from $2.6M to $2.3M, still no buyers. Seller has just pulled it from market.
High end home prices seems to have dropped quite a bit in the bay area.
Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
I agree that cooling is happening everywhere. Every real estate agent I know (all over the country) is down on sales, things are selling much slower, and just not as much action as has been for the last few years.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
Keep in mind that we were in a market that was not normal and not sustainable we are just retreating back to a normal market were market time is normally 90 days for DOM .. that's been more normal.. its not normal to list a property and have 17 offers first day..
and along with that its the time of year it always slows down right about now.. the turn key folks I know though are still plowing through their inventory.. as investors are buying for cash flow and as long as the numbers work they pull the trigger.
Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
The SF market has slowed down and prices have come down from its peak a few months back. Does this mean it has topped? We don't know this can be a slow down before it bounces back its upward trend. The market can remain flat.
What I do know is that prices cannot continue at the pace that it was on. Pullbacks are healthy and a balanced market is good. Maybe this is a good lesson for all new investors who have seen only one UP market to know that real estate doesn't always go up. It can go down or sideways. Yes, I get it if you look at a 20yr chart real estate has a nice beautiful uptrend. Short and intermediate timeframes up, down, and sideways come in every real estate market.
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 365 votes
7y
@Neel Jain - I have been a homeowner in San Francisco for 20 years and have followed the market for SFH's during that time. I've seen the same pattern that @Frank Wong is referring to....a long run-up, then a modest 2-year drop, then a 2-year return to the previous high, then another long run-up. Barring an earthquake or other natural disaster, I think homes in SF will continue to be a solid investment over 10, 20, 30 years. But the numbers always have to be right. And given how hot the market is, that is more true than ever.
What exactly that will translate to is anybody's guess. My guess, and it's just that a guess, is that appreciation is going to slow and the balance of power will shift away from listing agents and be more balanced between buyer/seller (shift has already happened in no small part, actually).
And rates goes up prices come down slightly for the unlucky that have to sell... And everyone else just stays put because they can't afford to move.
Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 12 votes
7y
I'm glad the market is slowing down a bit. All the homes I've been following in the Sacramento area has dropped 10-15k+ and they still have not sold. The same floor plan home in the same neighborhood were in contract within the week of posting in the beginning of the year but now they have been seen on the market for a few months with only a few offers.
I would say it is definitely leveling off. Inventory has risen lately and buyer fatigue due to sky high prices are catching up. Competition for listings have gone down considerably from my experience since September, although well priced homes will still attract a great deal of attention.
I don't think we will see a crash but a leveling off and perhaps modest dip in prices. Demand and the local economy is still very strong.
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
As far as the actual city itself, the story is mixed. The higher end (> $4 mil) has softened, but starter SFH's in the cheaper hoods ($1-1.5 mil) are still selling like hot cakes. And some neighborhoods are doing better than others (in the mission for instance, $2-3 mil SFH's are selling briskly.) Overall it's not as crazy as a few years past, and the IPO effect isn't easy to measure, yet. But if you're a buy and gold (unintentional typo, but I'll keep it ;) investor, who cares?
Don’t rely on crap media like socketsite, aka suckitsite for the San Francisco market. The editor is an insufferable a**hole, who deletes contrarian comments like he’s swiping mosquitos in the Florida heat.
Developer · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 103 posts · 47 votes
7y
@Neel Jain - We barely have an inventory problem. Still one of the lowest ranking cities for supply delivery. NYC and Denver, last I saw, were #1 and #2.