Do you ever felt like taking a break?

Do you ever felt like taking a break?

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Do you ever felt like taking a break for a number of months? About a year ago I thought I needed to take about a year off, but didn’t. 🤔


Summer is here and it’s like I can’t even go out of town, because I have a number of rehabs going etc. I thought about simply shutting down all marketing and taking a break until the summer ends.

I have children that’s  out of school on summer vacation and quite frankly I feel  burnt out. 

13Reply
143 views

Most Popular Reply

Patrick HancockBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 101 posts · 108 votes
4y

@Joe S. That’s a great question. In my humble opinion the greatest challenge in this business is the inability to “disconnect”. I’ve been a real estate broker and investor for the past 18 years and it doesn’t matter if it’s Sunday morning at 6:30AM, Easter Day or Christmas something real estate related comes up or at the very least it’s on your mind. Let’s not even get into discussing the waking up at 3AM every night when the brain starts grinding away in preparation for the day. With most jobs when you “click out” you’re done and can detach. Not with real estate and that’s what causes that burn out feel. Believe it or not taking vacations or trying to take a day off doesn’t help me as I always have my phone because I have two children and need to be available just in case so once again can’t fully detach. What has helped me tremendously manage burn out or as I say to my wife I simply don’t have any available bandwidth right now to talk about painting our own house (she jokes that I pay more attention to our rental properties than our own house which is probably true lol) is to create my own version of a “miracle morning”. Part of that is reading and another part is that I hit the gym on the way to the office. Both produce wonderful results to help calm the mind especially since it’s early (i get up at 5:30AM) and most calls don’t start coming in until after 9AM. Then when I get home from work I’ll play the guitar for about an hour…that’s my consistent hobby to help wind down at the end of the day. Lastly is continuing to work on “Who Not How”. Great book Id recommend reading. Basic point is that you can’t do it all. You can try but results typically won’t be great and trying to do everything yourself is the fastest way to burn out. Good luck my friend!!!

- Pat

Pat Hancock at Thomas Lynne 527 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    We all need a break from time to time. Make sure you take time for yourself and to do something that you like.  Even if it is for a hour or two once a week, it does help. 

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    4y

    Yes, I feel burnt out all the time, but especially if it's a multiple renovation period of time....it's much less stressful when you only have a few normal(paint and clean, min handywork) turnovers in a year, or are at 100% occupied for a long period. I try and do mandatory minimum vacations to diffuse and reset, during those 100% times, for 2-5 day periods, and usually close enough to get back if it's absolute emergency.

    I can't even wrap my head around taking a year off, unless I had a management company I trusted.

    Good luck!

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Isaac S.:

    Yes, I feel burnt out all the time, but especially if it's a multiple renovation period of time....it's much less stressful when you only have a few normal(paint and clean, min handywork) turnovers in a year, or are at 100% occupied for a long period. I try and do mandatory minimum vacations to diffuse and reset, during those 100% times, for 2-5 day periods, and usually close enough to get back if it's absolute emergency.

    I can't even wrap my head around taking a year off, unless I had a management company I trusted.

    Good luck!


     Yeah it would not be a year in the sense of no responsibilities, but I guess I meant  maybe a year with out starting new projects. Right now I’m simply trying to figure out if I want to keep buying throughout the summer. I’ve been hard at it for years now. 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    We all need a break from time to time. Make sure you take time for yourself and to do something that you like.  Even if it is for a hour or two once a week, it does help. 


     I was hoping for something that would last longer than an hour or two. Lol

  • Real Estate Agent · Scranton PA · Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 98 votes
    4y

    @Joe S.

    Every year, I always say: I'll slow down for the summer, to enjoy, relax, and take it easy. And every year the time passes me by, and fall is already here. So if you get the opportunity to shut down and turn off your projects, do so. Money can be made, but you can't get time back. Maybe if we shared out down time in the fall, it will help remind us to do so. Enjoy the summer ☀️

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joe S.:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    We all need a break from time to time. Make sure you take time for yourself and to do something that you like.  Even if it is for a hour or two once a week, it does help. 


     I was hoping for something that would last longer than an hour or two. Lol


     You have to start somewhere!  The little breaks help, so you don't feel that you need a long one as often.

  • Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 274 posts · 191 votes
    4y

    Yes! I definitely get burnt out. I do try to take breaks and incorporate a work life balance. What ends up usually happening is I work super hard and then get so burnt out that I am forced to take a break whether I like it or not. 

  • Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    take a week off and force yourself to think about anything else other than real estate. heck even stay off this site. seriously. get away and stay away mentally and physically then come back recharged.

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    4y

    I remember one of my professors in college saying that part of his compensation was time and that's always resonated with me.  Honestly, it's one of main reasons that I became a teacher at a fairly young age because I figured I could help close the financial gap with a little investing on the side. 

    It's funny the impact that man had on my life and I can assure you that neither one of us would recognize the other if we ever met again.  I guess you never know what'll stick.

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Most of us need occasional breaks. I generally take Sundays off (makes my week more productive anyway) and a couple vacations a year. Having goals helps me to not burnout. Another thing that keeps me from burning out is I am working towards hiring more employees that can hold the fort down while I'm away. An executive assistant made the biggest difference.

  • Patrick HancockBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 101 posts · 108 votes
    4y

    @Joe S. That’s a great question. In my humble opinion the greatest challenge in this business is the inability to “disconnect”. I’ve been a real estate broker and investor for the past 18 years and it doesn’t matter if it’s Sunday morning at 6:30AM, Easter Day or Christmas something real estate related comes up or at the very least it’s on your mind. Let’s not even get into discussing the waking up at 3AM every night when the brain starts grinding away in preparation for the day. With most jobs when you “click out” you’re done and can detach. Not with real estate and that’s what causes that burn out feel. Believe it or not taking vacations or trying to take a day off doesn’t help me as I always have my phone because I have two children and need to be available just in case so once again can’t fully detach. What has helped me tremendously manage burn out or as I say to my wife I simply don’t have any available bandwidth right now to talk about painting our own house (she jokes that I pay more attention to our rental properties than our own house which is probably true lol) is to create my own version of a “miracle morning”. Part of that is reading and another part is that I hit the gym on the way to the office. Both produce wonderful results to help calm the mind especially since it’s early (i get up at 5:30AM) and most calls don’t start coming in until after 9AM. Then when I get home from work I’ll play the guitar for about an hour…that’s my consistent hobby to help wind down at the end of the day. Lastly is continuing to work on “Who Not How”. Great book Id recommend reading. Basic point is that you can’t do it all. You can try but results typically won’t be great and trying to do everything yourself is the fastest way to burn out. Good luck my friend!!!

    - Pat

    Pat Hancock at Thomas Lynne 527 Reviews
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Take a break when it's no longer fun.  Plus, the market is whacky; so, not an entirely bad time to pause for a couple of months.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    What is the point of investing if you're not enjoying life? The purpose of investing is to build a better life, whether that's increasing monthly income, building equity, or freeing up your time. Don't burn yourself out and ruin it all.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Winona, MN · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 90 votes
    4y

    @Joe S.

    I think it’s easy for people who work for themselves to decide how much is “enough.” I agree with a few of the previous posts; if it’s not fun anymore, it may be time to take a break to re-evaluate.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Heather Schmidtknecht:

    @Joe S.

    I think it’s easy for people who work for themselves to decide how much is “enough.” I agree with a few of the previous posts; if it’s not fun anymore, it may be time to take a break to re-evaluate.

    It’s not as easy as some might think. :-)
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    The buy side of the investment is just too stressful right now. Every opportunity (on/off market) we jump on hasn't worked out. I'm hungry to continue investing but this climate can burn anyone out. I don't want that to happen to myself. The writing is on the wall so we're focusing on saving cash, important life events, friends, and family. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    It really isn't something we can turn off. Is it? Depends on what side of the business you're on I guess. You stop the work flow, everyone leaves, and then you have to rebuild. Perhaps the real solution is to give up a solid chunk of profits to hire someone to take the wheel. You could manage that person remotely.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Joe S.,

    People have been asking us for the past 6 years, when are you going to stop and slow down?  I have always said "when it stops being fun."   Well, it's finally got to that point-- we have decided to no longer buy any more low-income rentals, and actually just sold 1-- it's an amazing feeling!

    I feel like being a landlord and surviving the pandemic, whew-- it takes something out of you!   I helped a guy get 5 months of rent relief, ya know what he did-- moved in with his girlfriend and subleased our apartment to people who completely trashed it.  We are just finishing up an eviction on Friday, gosh that one is going to be trashed, it just makes you jaded.   Right now instead of going for the high money makers (2-3% rule is what I like!), we're hoping to purchase a river house-- and use it a couple of weeks a year and focus on enjoying life more, and have it be a short term rental.    

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Nope never! lol

  • Nicholas MischPro Member
    Investor · Broadview Hts, OH · Member since 2016 · 310 posts · 280 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Do you ever felt like taking a break for a number of months? About a year ago I thought I needed to take about a year off, but didn’t. 🤔


    Summer is here and it’s like I can’t even go out of town, because I have a number of rehabs going etc. I thought about simply shutting down all marketing and taking a break until the summer ends.

    I have children that’s  out of school on summer vacation and quite frankly I feel  burnt out. 


     Hey Joe, I wish I had your problem LOL! Seriously though you have to take breaks and have systems so you can. I don't know your whole situation but If you posted it here, then you must be feeling it enough to need it. I have had moments of RE burn out (sometimes weekly), but I always work to make sure I still love it as I never want it to be something that overall feels like work. I know what I have said is often easier said that done. I wish you the best success and rest. 

  • Investor · Van Isle · Member since 2021 · 455 posts · 226 votes
    4y

     I've taken every September/October/November off for the last 15 years to meet with my buddies and do our annual bird hunt. We figure there are only about 15 hunts left, strengthening our resolve. In my earlier employment years, my managers were often perplexed when I told them, you misunderstand, I'm not asking for the time off, I'm telling you.   Used my trade certs as travelling papers.  

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dwayne Poster:

     I've taken every September/October/November off for the last 15 years to meet with my buddies and do our annual bird hunt. We figure there are only about 15 hunts left, strengthening our resolve. In my earlier employment years, my managers were often perplexed when I told them, you misunderstand, I'm not asking for the time off, I'm telling you.   Used my trade certs as travelling papers.  

    What kind of work did you do? I can’t imagine hunting for three months straight, but I guess if you know where to go it could make a difference.:)

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Can you afford to take a break?  If you can afford to take a break.  You have to look out for your family and if financially you are comfortable even just stable focus on quality of life for your wife and kids.  I know when my kids have their own families how many doors or how much passive income their dad created won't be nearly as important to them as many fish we caught, or just catching pitches from them.  So my advice brother is take a break!  


    It will be known as the SUMMER OF JOE!  

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Do it. Take time off. This is what life is about. One of my big WHY's was the ability to go on 6 vacations every year. I work 7 days a week and just like many of us I have a hard time shutting it off when I am at home, so my solution is to travel.

    Once a trip is booked and paid for there is no going back, it will happen. Usually 10 days. But my my next one is the longest so far, I just got to the point where I said screw this, why did I build 2 businesses, if I can't enjoy a summer? So for this trip I am going to Europe from June 14th to July 10th, almost a month. Early July is a bit slower anyway.

    If you are self emplyed or own businesses you tend to work 7 days a week. Most people get about 120 days off (52 weekends and a couple weeks vacation).  I know 6 vacations sounds a bit much, but 6 x 10 days is only half of what most people get.

    Also one week is not a vacation. I grew up in Europe and 6 weeks/year are normal. Most people will take at least one long trip of either 2 weeks or 3 weeks and stay in one spot, like a small greek island. Not much to do. And you can do that for cheap, you'd be surprised how little you need when the weather is nice and you have the ocean a few steps away. You will notice that something changes inside of you after 4 or 5 days: you are actually starting to relax - good thing is you have another 2 weeks ;-)

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    Do it. Take time off. This is what life is about. One of my big WHY's was the ability to go on 6 vacations every year. I work 7 days a week and just like many of us I have a hard time shutting it off when I am at home, so my solution is to travel.

    Once a trip is booked and paid for there is no going back, it will happen. Usually 10 days. But my my next one is the longest so far, I just got to the point where I said screw this, why did I build 2 businesses, if I can't enjoy a summer? So for this trip I am going to Europe from June 14th to July 10th, almost a month. Early July is a bit slower anyway.

    If you are self emplyed or own businesses you tend to work 7 days a week. Most people get about 120 days off (52 weekends and a couple weeks vacation).  I know 6 vacations sounds a bit much, but 6 x 10 days is only half of what most people get.

    Also one week is not a vacation. I grew up in Europe and 6 weeks/year are normal. Most people will take at least one long trip of either 2 weeks or 3 weeks and stay in one spot, like a small greek island. Not much to do. And you can do that for cheap, you'd be surprised how little you need when the weather is nice and you have the ocean a few steps away. You will notice that something changes inside of you after 4 or 5 days: you are actually starting to relax - good thing is you have another 2 weeks ;-)


     Are those small Greek islands isolated as for as private?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.