Do you ever felt like taking a break?

Do you ever felt like taking a break?

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Do you ever felt like taking a break for a number of months? About a year ago I thought I needed to take about a year off, but didn’t. 🤔


Summer is here and it’s like I can’t even go out of town, because I have a number of rehabs going etc. I thought about simply shutting down all marketing and taking a break until the summer ends.

I have children that’s  out of school on summer vacation and quite frankly I feel  burnt out. 

13Reply
140 views

Most Popular Reply

Patrick HancockBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 101 posts · 108 votes
4y

@Joe S. That’s a great question. In my humble opinion the greatest challenge in this business is the inability to “disconnect”. I’ve been a real estate broker and investor for the past 18 years and it doesn’t matter if it’s Sunday morning at 6:30AM, Easter Day or Christmas something real estate related comes up or at the very least it’s on your mind. Let’s not even get into discussing the waking up at 3AM every night when the brain starts grinding away in preparation for the day. With most jobs when you “click out” you’re done and can detach. Not with real estate and that’s what causes that burn out feel. Believe it or not taking vacations or trying to take a day off doesn’t help me as I always have my phone because I have two children and need to be available just in case so once again can’t fully detach. What has helped me tremendously manage burn out or as I say to my wife I simply don’t have any available bandwidth right now to talk about painting our own house (she jokes that I pay more attention to our rental properties than our own house which is probably true lol) is to create my own version of a “miracle morning”. Part of that is reading and another part is that I hit the gym on the way to the office. Both produce wonderful results to help calm the mind especially since it’s early (i get up at 5:30AM) and most calls don’t start coming in until after 9AM. Then when I get home from work I’ll play the guitar for about an hour…that’s my consistent hobby to help wind down at the end of the day. Lastly is continuing to work on “Who Not How”. Great book Id recommend reading. Basic point is that you can’t do it all. You can try but results typically won’t be great and trying to do everything yourself is the fastest way to burn out. Good luck my friend!!!

- Pat

Pat Hancock at Thomas Lynne 527 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Van Isle · Member since 2021 · 455 posts · 226 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joe S.:
    Quote from @Dwayne Poster:

     I've taken every September/October/November off for the last 15 years to meet with my buddies and do our annual bird hunt. We figure there are only about 15 hunts left, strengthening our resolve. In my earlier employment years, my managers were often perplexed when I told them, you misunderstand, I'm not asking for the time off, I'm telling you.   Used my trade certs as travelling papers.  

    What kind of work did you do? I can’t imagine hunting for three months straight, but I guess if you know where to go it could make a difference.:)

    Industrial trades was my mainstay. Learning new technologies demanded mobility, so time off was easily scheduled. I have a hunting cabin in Saskatchewan. Most waterfowl, trophy big game, world record fishing. First and second world record rainbow trout were caught 1/2 hour from my place. World record whitetail deer  shot 1/2 hour away. Trophy mule, elk, and antelope wondering around. My families immigrated and homesteaded in the local area so much time is spent with the locals, learning whos who and living life.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Do you ever felt like taking a break for a number of months? About a year ago I thought I needed to take about a year off, but didn’t. 🤔


    Summer is here and it’s like I can’t even go out of town, because I have a number of rehabs going etc. I thought about simply shutting down all marketing and taking a break until the summer ends.

    I have children that’s  out of school on summer vacation and quite frankly I feel  burnt out. 


    Hi Joe,

    It might feel like you need a year off, but you could experiment by taking two weeks off and going to Las Vegas.

    Maybe book a room in a strip hotel for 10 days and eat at the buffet, and just sit by the pool all day (in some hotels waitresses will bring you a sandwich lunch out by the pool).

    Rent a car and go see Red Rock canyon...

    After two weeks of doing nothing, you might have filled up your 1 year gas tank.

    The Mirage is nice...and so is the big pyramid and big castle next to it.

    And if you go to Las Vegas, just beware of crime--there is a lot of it in Las Vegas.

    Good Luck!

    https://www.reviewjournal.com/

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dwayne Poster:
    Quote from @Joe S.:
    Quote from @Dwayne Poster:

     I've taken every September/October/November off for the last 15 years to meet with my buddies and do our annual bird hunt. We figure there are only about 15 hunts left, strengthening our resolve. In my earlier employment years, my managers were often perplexed when I told them, you misunderstand, I'm not asking for the time off, I'm telling you.   Used my trade certs as travelling papers.  

    What kind of work did you do? I can’t imagine hunting for three months straight, but I guess if you know where to go it could make a difference.:)

    Industrial trades was my mainstay. Learning new technologies demanded mobility, so time off was easily scheduled. I have a hunting cabin in Saskatchewan. Most waterfowl, trophy big game, world record fishing. First and second world record rainbow trout were caught 1/2 hour from my place. World record whitetail deer  shot 1/2 hour away. Trophy mule, elk, and antelope wondering around. My families immigrated and homesteaded in the local area so much time is spent with the locals, learning whos who and living life.


     Very nice!!!!

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Do you ever felt like taking a break for a number of months? About a year ago I thought I needed to take about a year off, but didn’t. 🤔


    Summer is here and it’s like I can’t even go out of town, because I have a number of rehabs going etc. I thought about simply shutting down all marketing and taking a break until the summer ends.

    I have children that’s  out of school on summer vacation and quite frankly I feel  burnt out. 


    Hi Joe,

    It might feel like you need a year off, but you could experiment by taking two weeks off and going to Las Vegas.

    Maybe book a room in a strip hotel for 10 days and eat at the buffet, and just sit by the pool all day (in some hotels waitresses will bring you a sandwich lunch out by the pool).

    Rent a car and go see Red Rock canyon...

    After two weeks of doing nothing, you might have filled up your 1 year gas tank.

    The Mirage is nice...and so is the big pyramid and big castle next to it.

    And if you go to Las Vegas, just beware of crime--there is a lot of it in Las Vegas.

    Good Luck!

    https://www.reviewjournal.com/


       I don’t see myself going to Vegas and drinking sitting beside the pool, but doing nothing for two weeks could actually fill up my one year fuel tank. :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2020 · 433 posts · 284 votes
    4y

    @Joe S.

    Joe, do you have systems in place to allow you to take time off? If not I would suggest starting that process. No reason to trade all your time for money! Need to find the balance.

    Like you, I can’t imagine the “Vegas” route, but to each his/her own. The mountains, the ocean, or somewhere to recharge and reset is critical.

    The reason most work so hard is to gain that freedom. Systems in place can really help in that regard.

    Best of luck

    Cheers

  • Rental Property Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    @Joe S.

    Hey Joe, I definitely get where you’re coming from. Young children don’t understand that the sacrifices you’re making today is so that they can have a better future tomorrow.

    With that said…it’s hard to strike a healthy balance between being focused on our business & family life.

    I find that avoiding an ALL or NOTHING attitude is helpful. I reason on it this way. Imagine if you were (God forbid) to get in an accident resulting in you being in the hospital for a week or so. You simply WOULDN’T be able to be actively involved in any rehab projects.

    What’s the absolute worst that could happen? Your answer may reveal much about your rehab plan.

    I read an article about an investor who use to feel like he had to be present for each and every aspect of the rehab project from start to finish. And that that pausing a project for ANY reason was deemed as incompetence or failure on his part.

    He later admitted, his feelings had less to do with his rehab projects than the way that he was structuring his projects.

    He later learned to factor in “LIFE” into his projects. Meaning he now allows time to enjoy living life, while advancing his business, which he says ironically has made him more effective & efficient.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt Ziegler:

    @Joe S.

    Joe, do you have systems in place to allow you to take time off? If not I would suggest starting that process. No reason to trade all your time for money! Need to find the balance.

    Like you, I can’t imagine the “Vegas” route, but to each his/her own. The mountains, the ocean, or somewhere to recharge and reset is critical.

    The reason most work so hard is to gain that freedom. Systems in place can really help in that regard.

    Best of luck

    Cheers

    Any systems that you have found useful in your business that you could share and advise? :-)
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.