Purchasing Only D Property Strategy - Do you recommend?

Purchasing Only D Property Strategy - Do you recommend?

Investor · Woodland Hills, UT · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 31 votes

I want to specifically start a discussion on the topic of investing ONLY in D neighborhood quality properties.

I have spent a LOT of time here on BP the last 10 days and my horizon has been opened to a lot more possibilities then I ever expected. Living in Utah, I feel the barrier to purchase more and more properties is becoming more difficult for me. I have been reflecting a lot on the different strategies mentioned here on BP. 

I see a lot of people say to stay away from D properties (specifically in OH, MI, etc) but I feel like there is little to no barrier to purchase those properties. 

Is it a bad strategy to have a consistant purchasing behavior of these types of properties? I feel like if I purchase 10 properties over 2-3 years, 6 would be good experiences, 2 would be home runs and the remainder would be terrible experiences. The law of averages would favor you.

Do you recommend this strategy specifically for the buy & hold rental cashflow investor? Is there a better opportunity you would consider?

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

Utah ain't got none D properties?

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    From what I know none would be a good experience. They are all hard work in that they require hands on management. Being a landlord in a D property is like being a prison warden without any prison guards. Non payment is a common occurrence, damage, midnight runs, crime and violence.

    Does Utah allow you to carry a gun ?

  • Investor · Woodland Hills, UT · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Thomas S. Thanks for the feedback. 

    I would mainly be investing out of state. It doesn't sound like you would ever recommend investing in any D properties out of state. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Check out podcast #152 for good dialogue from some seasoned investors on D class investing.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/12/1...

    I'd recommend ensuring that you have an accurate annual cap ex reserve factored into your modeling.  That cap ex will be a larger percentage of your monthly rental income on D class versus other classes, not because of the cap ex amount but because of the lower rent/profit per unit to absorb that cap ex over extended periods of time.

  • Investor · Woodland Hills, UT · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Mike Dymski Thanks! Ill be sure to listen to that podcast!

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Utah ain't got none D properties?

  • Contractor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I would not invest in D class properties, especially out of state.  I believe you would spend more time and money fixing properties and chasing money than you would getting money.  I would stay far away from those.

  • Real Estate Agent · Highland, UT · Member since 2015 · 407 posts · 272 votes
    10y

    D properties are higher Hands-On management or time-consuming. We really don't have d properties. If you're from Utah you might consider West Valley and Magna ghetto if you're from other states you would laugh at what locals think is scary. Whenever I meet a new buyer I ask if they're from Utah or not to gauge how they'll feel about air quote ghetto areas

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    I dont know if anyone sets out to buy and hold D properties. I think it just happens. I have managed and been involved in some crazy situations. It is not for the faint of heart. That being said in my opinion some of the best cash flowing is in D property 

  • Investor · Woodland Hills, UT · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Eric Fonville good feedback. Have you personally invested in these types of properties?

    @Omar Merced It was one of your other posts that got me thinking about this topic specifically. They look like incredible cash flow properties but me being out of stat would make it rather hard.

    And again, just to be clear, we are talking about investing in OH or MI here not Utah. @Becca Summers, @Account Closed

  • Real Estate Agent · Highland, UT · Member since 2015 · 407 posts · 272 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Becca Summers:

    D properties are higher Hands-On management or time-consuming you'd have to really trust your property manager.

    I wonder if your management fee would be higher for the added stress and lower rental prices. Have you talked with a property manager in your desired cities? They could give you great feedback.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Nik Krohn  D properties out of state are NOT an appropriate investment for an out of area investor. The only one's who make those work are locals who are hands on.. You CANNOT afford PM.. it will chew up your cash flow... and PM's that work in these asset class's are far and few between. the better PM"s won't touch them.

    You would be better off taking a nice vacation you will get more out of it with the same results IE your bank account will be smaller at the end of the day.

    That all said I have been funding primarily C grades with some urban core D grades going on the better part of 20 years.

    I have Never seen a West coast investor make any appreciable money at this and have witness first hand most fail and walk or lose the properties.. I know because I finance them for the local that buys them back from the west coast and foreign investors for pennies on the dollars.. I see the HUDS  no getting around it in my book... pay 30k for a D class sell it for 8k  and thats after rehabbing it for the 5th time in 3 years.. these are a great way to lose all your cash.. one of the fastest and easiest ways actually in Real estate to get wiped out.

  • Contractor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I have not.  I have a couple of c class properties currently in NC right now in which one of them is costing more money in repair and chasing tenant down for not paying on time. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if it was a D class.  I also know that market really well as I spend 16 years of my life there before moving.  I know other investors from that local market in which invested in the D class market because of the low entry price point. They have paid me a lot of money because of maintenence and repairs and on top of that they spend a lot of time and money in court on evictions. I'm not saying that you will not find success, I'm only trying to give you a warning of another potential problem that may come up. 

  • Investor · Coplay, PA · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 315 votes
    10y

    It is a buy and hold market. 

    Why would anyone buy the one you have for sale when they can buy the one next to yours for less then you paid for yours? It is also in better shape then yours was when you bought yours. This is reality.

    If you do not have someone you trust 100% to judge the home. Judging the home means the one behind it, next to it, across the street, up the block. Here are pictures from one I just rented out.

    This is the property behind mine. That is the yard before I cleaned it up.

    That is my property.

    This the property across the street. You have to understand the mentality of the people and the system that keeps them renters . Anyone of these people could buy this home. I have have an investor that loaned me the money at 8% for 10 years. I fixed the property and rented it for $600 a month. Most rents for this house would be $400 - $500.

    I have an investor that wants out and I am buying 5 with long term tennents in better blocks for 1/2 the price.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Mark Holencik  Mark do you self manage or do you hire it all out.. do you over see rehab.. or is the only time you went there is to see it and take pic's and never go back?

  • Investor · Coplay, PA · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 315 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Mark Holencik  Mark do you self manage or do you hire it all out.. do you over see rehab.. or is the only time you went there is to see it and take pic's and never go back?

     I find the deals and get them ready for rent. I found a property manager that I like. I will not do any major rehabs, For the cost to rehab, I can buy 3 or 4 more houses. I look for property's that need soap and water plus paint, and minor work. I tear out carpets and paint the floors. I just had to put in an electrical service, still had fuses. 

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    10y

    Listen to the counsel of the wise and experienced; the wonderful cashflow you see are mostly on paper; I do not know why someone will willingly want to invest in  D properties and out of state at that!. 

    @Thomas S. couldn't have put it better: are you ready to carry a gun? Anyway,  since you invest out of state, would be willing to arm your PM just to collect rent?

    My sincere advise is to stay away from ghetto properties, especially as an out of stater.....

    Look for more decent areas, they will cost you more but you will have rest of mind.

    My one cent! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 636 posts · 486 votes
    10y

    I'm going to go against most of the advice here and say that D properties can be great investments, especially when you're starting out and money is more important than time. I invest in the few D areas left in Austin, and it has worked out well for me. That being said, investing out of state in tough areas is a different challenge which I would not recommend (although I've also never tried it). A few reasons I'm pro D class:

    • Less competition: As you can see in the comment thread, many experienced investors don't like to go into D class.
    • Better cash flow: D properties tend to give higher margins (also more headache).
    • Additional value add propositions: There are a number of strategies you can use to actually pull up the entire neighborhood; these tend to take a long time and are difficult to implement, but can be very lucrative and good for the community in general.
    • Lower barriers to entry: You can buy a lot more property for a lot less money
    • More creative savings opportunities: broken appliances? Buy used ones off Craigslist. Ratty carpet? Replace with cheap, durable vinyl plank. Try doing that in an A-class neighborhood and you'll never find a renter.
    • Experience: D-class will help you decide what you really want and how best to get it. You'll learn tenant management and who you really want as renters, repairs (if you're doing it yourself) or how to manage and negotiate with contractors, which kinds of property problems you're willing to deal with and which you're not, etc.

    I'd love to hear other D-class investor's views on this as well. Feel free to add to my list (or tell me why I'm an idiot). Either way, good luck @Nik Krohn.

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    From what I know none would be a good experience. They are all hard work in that they require hands on management. Being a landlord in a D property is like being a prison warden without any prison guards. Non payment is a common occurrence, damage, midnight runs, crime and violence.

    Does Utah allow you to carry a gun ?

     This is accurate.

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @jacob pereira all good points in defense of D-class investing but I feel like your experience wouldn't be the same as his. Austin as a whole is gentrifying and growing every day, people are willing to move to the ghetto locations to get value and they think the area will eventually end up getting improved. Granted I'm not extremely familiar with Austin but that's what I've gleamed through my research.

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark Holencik:

    It is a buy and hold market. 

    Why would anyone buy the one you have for sale when they can buy the one next to yours for less then you paid for yours? It is also in better shape then yours was when you bought yours. This is reality.

    If you do not have someone you trust 100% to judge the home. Judging the home means the one behind it, next to it, across the street, up the block. Here are pictures from one I just rented out.

    This is the property behind mine. That is the yard before I cleaned it up.

    That is my property.

    This the property across the street. You have to understand the mentality of the people and the system that keeps them renters . Anyone of these people could buy this home. I have have an investor that loaned me the money at 8% for 10 years. I fixed the property and rented it for $600 a month. Most rents for this house would be $400 - $500.

    I have an investor that wants out and I am buying 5 with long term tennents in better blocks for 1/2 the price.

     The streets in the Philippines look a lot more run down, and "ghetto" that what is in those photos. In my three times traveling there (having been to the major cities and more rural areas), never did I not feel safe. I just walk with a smile on my face, and talk to the locals and buy delicious pastries on the street for $0.10/ea. I wonder then, people feel unsafe walking through C-/D areas in the US?

  • Investor · Woodland Hills, UT · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    You know what I love about BP? I can get so much experienced based advice from so many people. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience!

    Thanks @Jacob Pereira for the alternative point of view. I was ultimately hoping to stir the conversation to see both sides although I knew most would be against this strategy.

    I can easily tell now at this point that out of state investments need to be lower maintenance/better tenant worthy properties.

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 305 votes
    10y

    D properties are my plan because A. That is what I can afford B. They can be obtained without loans and C. I dont have to pay labor for rehab plus D. people who rent in these areas arent too choosy....not that I intend on being a slum lord and E. Being from this area I know which blocks are relatively safe and which ones are not.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Andrey Y.  not at all a valid comparision of semi third world and the War zones of the US.  

    a smile is not going to protect you in the wrong neighborhoods in the US.  :)

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    I think you are referring to F properties not D. To make money in those you would need to be local and a slum lord. In all fairness a good slumlord is a boon for these areas as they so a job others won't touch. Also agree with Jay, the happy smile defense in the hood may keep you from getting shot, you would likely only get stabbed.
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Take what your D pro forma says for operating expenses and double it.  Afterwards if you can't get at least a 12-cap on it then the property isn't even worth bothering with.  I have owned D properties before and looking back at the experience I wouldn't take them even if someone GAVE them to me for free.  Get ready for your economic vacancy to be very high with skips, evictions, etc.  

    The only way I can see to make these projects work is to live on site.  If you don't mind chasing low-life people for rent every month and risking life and limb for a couple of points of yield it may be worth it.  I would recommend investing your hard-earned money and valuable time elsewhere; especially if you have a family.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.