Why are people such flakes? Why use a mentor?

Why are people such flakes? Why use a mentor?

Wholesaler · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 247 posts · 76 votes

okay, I've been positive Pete for weeks upon weeks, I'm a US Marine and aggression comes natural do this was coming eventually (hope you don't mind but we all need to vent sometimes).

Why in the Hell are people so unreliable? ! I didn't go out of my way asking these people to mentor me or coach me. In both situations they came to me and asked to help me with something specific and then offered to help even more than originally planned. In short, they offered to be my coach and to be available. Then in both situations these guys made appointments with me to do this or that (usually the initial conference about how we would approach everything) and they go dark! 

It's not like I'm begging them for help. I'm not chasing them with texts or calls every thirty minutes all day. So what the Hell? 

Is this normal for real estate investors who make their lively hood on being dependable to act towards everyone or am I the butt-end of a joke that everyone else is in on but me? Is this what I have to look forward to in this community? 

And the funny thing is both these guys are established and licensed. They're professionals! At least on paper. 

With that being said, screw it. I'm not waiting on them to give me sound advice or fill in the blanks. I'm diving in head first and taking action solo. I'll call a lawyer and keep him up to date in case I see trouble in the water. At least he knows he'll get paid and shouldn't jump ship. Then again I offered to split my earnings with those "mentors" and look what happened. 

And I know you're out there. I see your posts! 

Okay, I'm done and fine now. 

0Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y

Funny thread. 

A confused mind says 'no' and you do not possess the skills necessary to determine which ones to work with and which ones to avoid.

Yeah, people are flakey. You have no idea how much you still gave to learn about sales and people, in addition to all the other aspects of real estate. 

Here's a newsflash: It ain't them. You will not change people's character. If anyone must change, it must be YOU!

This ought to be required reading for every bonehead who thinks everything they need they can learn from a free online discussion forum.

I've been at this game for nearly (40) years and still invest a great deal in my education, both in monetary terms and time. It's the best return on my investment that I know of. 

You'd do well to channel that anger and frustration towards gaining the knowledge that you currently lack by reading and studying the classics from: Napoleon Hill, Dale Carnegie, Zig Zigler, John Schaub, Mike Cantu and others, even Tony Robbins. Whatever it takes to give you the skills, competence, confidence and attitude that it takes to DO this business, year after year.

Or, you'll become another statistic of people who couldn't cut it in RE.

We all have times of frustration with others. This game us much more about how to maintain the attitude in the face of adversity than most understand. 

One way or another, you're going to get an education. 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    its best to pay for coaching... free coaching is just that free... and unreliable... you just get folks that want to use you as a bird dog.. and if you bring a deal OK.. 

    busy SUCCESSFUL RE folks generally don't have the time or skill set to be teachers.

    if you want to do this or get this info for free keep trolling BP.. not sure what a lawyer is going to do for you.. and this will be expensive.. couple things you can do that will give you some skill sets

    1. study for RE license this will get you up to speed on your state specific laws and terms.

    2. collage class's on accuonting and marketing

    3. Hire on as a unlicensed assistant for top producing agent. ( get paid to learn)

  • Wholesaler · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 247 posts · 76 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I'm getting my license in January (that's when I start). 

    What I meant by lawyer is when I get to closing I'll go through them. 

    Again, these guys came to me. I don't know if you missed that but they reached out to me and offered to guide me. I was just doing my thing "trolling" bp when they sent me emails. 

    But I got what you're saying. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    its best to pay for coaching... free coaching is just that free... and unreliable... you just get folks that want to use you as a bird dog.. and if you bring a deal OK.. 

    busy SUCCESSFUL RE folks generally don't have the time or skill set to be teachers.

    if you want to do this or get this info for free keep trolling BP.. not sure what a lawyer is going to do for you.. and this will be expensive.. couple things you can do that will give you some skill sets

    1. study for RE license this will get you up to speed on your state specific laws and terms.

    2. collage class's on accuonting and marketing

    3. Hire on as a unlicensed assistant for top producing agent. ( get paid to learn)

    Emboldened for emphasis. Read, digest, re-read. The people I know that are kicking *** at this don't have time to be mentoring anyone. Mentors are usually going to be people like Jay who have made their fortune and have more down time, or are retired/retiring, or those who have a knack for it and are charging you to tap their knowledge set. For the most part, everyone else either has no idea what in the hell they're talking about, or are trying to use you as a resource, whether it be for leads, research legwork, whatever.  

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Wholesaler · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 247 posts · 76 votes
    9y

    The unlicensed assistant thing sounds interesting. Tell me more, por favor?

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 137 votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Barredo

    I usually get it the other way. When I get someone that wants to learn they usually do not even have the communication skill set it would take to be successful in real estate never mind cracking a deal. Or people will not do what they say they will do and why would I want to mentor someone like that? I put them on a 30 day trial and see how they do, usually they flunk out.You never really said specifically what these guys where going to do for you? @Jay Hinrichs is right, I like to have my clients to have skin in the game and then they still fail, believe me! If you are a Marine you should have some good skill sets. Good luck here.

  • Wholesaler · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 247 posts · 76 votes
    9y

    @Steve Haight The first guy is a broker who emailed me about helping with analyzing deals. We met at a local REIA and he offered to basically answer any questions I had a long the way and help me analyze any potential deal I brought to him and possibly buy it because he "is buying everything he can". He blatantly said he would coach me as long as I did the leg work, he would answer questions. He analyzed one deal, which I admit was pretty much a stretch of a deal, and then went dark. The second guy, a wholesaler, offered to help me build a buyers list. I said okay though I remember reading a lot that a person shouldn't need help with a buyers list. He then offered to basically train me in wholesaling, from showing me how to find cheap sources for bandit signs, to getting me cheap lead lists, and sending me training recordings of him closing deals and making offers to listen to. He offered all of this. I was like a kid on Christmas meeting Santa for the first time. As a newbie once, I'm sure you can see how enticing and awesome this would be and how pumped I was. Well, Friday was the last time we really connected. I sent him a long email stating that I don't expect anything from him and never did but if he were to really help me out I'd split all profits 50/50 with him as long as he was offering up some kind of help. Oh yeah, he initially asked to have access to a buyers list when I created it and of course I said sure. He wants to move into my county and would like to have me as boots on the ground and of course I said, "SURE!!!"

    He gave me homework to do, probably to test my commitment, and I got it done in less than 2 hours. The homework was call the probate court and find out how to get a list. Done. Then to find a plastic wholesaler and get prices on bandit sign material. Done. Then to watch a video on systematizing wholesaling businesses sent to me in an email. Done. So it's not like I was procrastinating.

    He went dark after responding to the email and saying he'd call me Monday. I've sent a text, voxer message, and an email just to see if he'd bleep on the radar. Nada.

    It's okay though. I purchased a list on my own. Screw the discount. I'll mail it myself by the end of the month. I got some great advice from BP members on how to approach it on the cheap. I'll go the probate court and mail that list. I've uploaded my D4$ leads in Podio to track that. I don't need no stinking mentor. I got an invite to join the KnoxREIA where I will learn and connect with flesh and blood people. So BOOM!!!! OOH-RAH! I make things happen, Devil-Dawg.

    Seriously though. Thanks for the responses. I just lifted weights and hit the punching bag so I feel much better.

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Funny thread. 

    A confused mind says 'no' and you do not possess the skills necessary to determine which ones to work with and which ones to avoid.

    Yeah, people are flakey. You have no idea how much you still gave to learn about sales and people, in addition to all the other aspects of real estate. 

    Here's a newsflash: It ain't them. You will not change people's character. If anyone must change, it must be YOU!

    This ought to be required reading for every bonehead who thinks everything they need they can learn from a free online discussion forum.

    I've been at this game for nearly (40) years and still invest a great deal in my education, both in monetary terms and time. It's the best return on my investment that I know of. 

    You'd do well to channel that anger and frustration towards gaining the knowledge that you currently lack by reading and studying the classics from: Napoleon Hill, Dale Carnegie, Zig Zigler, John Schaub, Mike Cantu and others, even Tony Robbins. Whatever it takes to give you the skills, competence, confidence and attitude that it takes to DO this business, year after year.

    Or, you'll become another statistic of people who couldn't cut it in RE.

    We all have times of frustration with others. This game us much more about how to maintain the attitude in the face of adversity than most understand. 

    One way or another, you're going to get an education. 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Rick H., @Benjamin Barredo

    Suggestion - - drop the emotion, it's not productive for anyone.  Those that keep their heads in the heat of battle will be the last ones standing.

    As to unsolicited inputs and robo calls - - I just hate'm and frequently just rudely hangup to give my reply.  <delete> on email, voicemail works too.

    Back to REI. There's a body of information necessary to be acquired to BEGIN to understand REI. Heck, there's multiple paths to making or creating a portfolio of properties. Once you find an approach that you're convinced "hey I can do that", then you need more details on the how to. My head rattles every time I read at BP "I've done xyz, what do I do next" - - SHEEZ man, what where they thinking? "Guess I'll ante up a couple of thou and learn to play poker as I go".

    Anywho, learn the steps for each approach to REI, then the terms that are applicable, and then IMO, you're in a place to begin learning the analysis process that will help you find a deal with profit at the end of the tunnel using that approach.

    I got my eyes opened back in '97 at a 3-day seminar in Houston.  A bunch of "gurus" mass marketed their ideas (and oh yeah, you bet their books and coaching) and I bought into a bunch of it, naively.  Later, I found what was left skillful unsaid was coup de gras for a very large portion of their offerings.  Example,  Texas Tax Liens: Great opportunity for profits, B U T can only be bought in person AND by someone actually able to prove they live in Texas.  Time & $$$ thrown out the window for me.  There were other issues, but that one makes my point.

    I'm no guru, coach or mentor, just an investor willing to share what I have learned and experienced over time.  I hate to see people waste time & $$$ when they could have  easily done better.

    "Measure twice - - Cut just once".

  • Wholesaler · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 247 posts · 76 votes
    9y

    @Rick H.

    I appreciate your sentiment. "We all have moments of frustration" so am I not allowed my moment?

    I am reading and reading but I take education and information wherever I can take it. Is BP a waste of time for me or something? I never said that I'd get all of my knowledge in threads.

    How am I the one that makes people offer to help and schedule appointments and then they break it? How about this, if you seasoned investors don't really have time to help a newbie out than how about you all not waste our time with promises of coaching and educating us and then leaving us hanging. I'd say that is probably the #1 reason for so many failed statistics in this game.

    I get it though, sometimes it's easier to beat up the guy that is just trying to share, right?

    This post was just me venting for a sec.

    @Jeff B. you're right, I dropped the emotion at 8am after posting this and my morning workout.

    I got a stack of books, audiobooks on the ready, podcasts downloaded, and friends in the local REIA. I'm on the right track doing everything you already mentioned about education.

    I hear a lot of you old cats preaching about education education but the message of BP is (at least I hear it constantly on the webinars and podcasts) is that you can't wait until you know it all because you never do.

    I'm not going to allow myself to wait until that magic moment when I have exactly the right amount of education before I make my move. I'm 36 years old and I want to see my life change before I 65 or what's the point?

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rick H.:

    Funny thread. 

    A confused mind says 'no' and you do not possess the skills necessary to determine which ones to work with and which ones to avoid.

    Yeah, people are flakey. You have no idea how much you still gave to learn about sales and people, in addition to all the other aspects of real estate. 

    Here's a newsflash: It ain't them. You will not change people's character. If anyone must change, it must be YOU!

    This ought to be required reading for every bonehead who thinks everything they need they can learn from a free online discussion forum.

    I've been at this game for nearly (40) years and still invest a great deal in my education, both in monetary terms and time. It's the best return on my investment that I know of. 

    You'd do well to channel that anger and frustration towards gaining the knowledge that you currently lack by reading and studying the classics from: Napoleon Hill, Dale Carnegie, Zig Zigler, John Schaub, Mike Cantu and others, even Tony Robbins. Whatever it takes to give you the skills, competence, confidence and attitude that it takes to DO this business, year after year.

    Or, you'll become another statistic of people who couldn't cut it in RE.

    We all have times of frustration with others. This game us much more about how to maintain the attitude in the face of adversity than most understand. 

    One way or another, you're going to get an education. 

     I'll add: My mentors that I have spent 100s on include Rick's list above but also Tom Hopkins, Dave Lindahl, Pete Fortunato, Dyches Boddiford, John T Reed, Jay DeCima, David Tinley, Pete Youngs, Bill Bronchick, and my favorite motivator Jim Rohn.

  • Canyon Lake, TX · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Barredo I'm 5 years older than dirt. I thought life was great until 6 years ago. I WISH, more than you know, that I had taken the action you are taking now. You're a smart kid and you WILL make it. You're a survivor and know EXACTLY what your goals actually are, few can say that. 

    What I use these forums for is helping my research. I read these boards, and if somebody mentions the slightest little thing that I don't completely have a handle on that creates a flurry of research, education, and questions of friends who are in the know. 

    The guy who gave you the homework assignment I think had different reasons for it. 1) He didn't have the answers himself and was "using" you. 2) Leads you to believe he is more experienced and knowledgeable than he really is 3) He was shocked to find out you really did have an IQ higher than a moth. So, look at the experience and short time you had with him as just another super tiny piece to the puzzle. 

    You have it young man...now run with it. You'll probably do a whole lot better making your own decisions for you and your family anyway. 

    Good luck, you'll be GREAT!

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Barredo

    Just like why do some people hire personal trainers? All one has to do to lose weight is to burn more calories than consume it! 

    It seems like it's a blessing in disguise for you. If these so-called "mentors" are unreliable at first, and you have not done any deals yet with them. It is easier for you to move on to others. It's better  to move on now than getting burnt - after you close on a deal with them.

    And yes, venting is healthy and allowed! 

  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    Just to piggy back off of @Candy Marshall comment. I recently came across a situation  that relates to the 3 points she made. Some people will lead you to believe they have it "all figured out" when the really dont. Why? I have no idea. 

  • Wholesaler · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Many people do not do what they say they will. Over the years in my career I have found that to be very painfully true - typically when you need them and when your eyes are on something else.  Hold people 's feet to the fire can tough but clear, honest and consistent communication I have found to be very helpful.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by :

    @Jeff B. you're right, I dropped the emotion at 8am after posting this and my morning workout.

    I got a stack of books, audiobooks on the ready, podcasts downloaded, and friends in the local REIA. I'm on the right track doing everything you already mentioned about education.

    I hear a lot of you old cats preaching about education education but the message of BP is (at least I hear it constantly on the webinars and podcasts) is that you can't wait until you know it all because you never do.

    I'm not going to allow myself to wait until that magic moment when I have exactly the right amount of education before I make my move. I'm 36 years old and I want to see my life change before I 65 or what's the point?

     Fine and there's a fine line between knowing too little (eg the poker ante analogy) and trying to become a PHD in Rei.  The question is What is required/sufficient to get the job done 'safely' with your precious funds?   Some things we see/hear are much like a 2x2 truth table where there's 3/4 ways to mess-up and only one good solution - - not always but sometimes, and yet we also can find alternatives that will still work.  My offering(s) are on the conservative side, as i'm advanced in years and have no room for costly or legal mistakes.

  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Barredo 

    People are FLAKES, the barrier to entry in our industry is ZERO.  The reason there are GOOD and BAD Realtors is because the barrier to entry is ZERO.  If you can pass the RE Licensing Test you are in.  The true test comes after the test and what you do with your license.  

    That is why brokerage firms spent all that time TRAINING AGENTS.  you have ppl from all walks of life.

    If I could have a penny for every investor prospects that calls me, every GC that promises me stuff, and Buyers/sellers that are just fishing. 

    If you want to be in this business, you have to accept this fact.  Wholesaler or Realtor we are the middle man.  We have the information, and something we have to give out our card to gain business. And we HOPE there is loyalty on the other side to stay and work with us.

    And sometimes, this just happen, they get busy.  In this business we also can't have hard feelings.  As a Realtor, we NEVER know who will be on the other side of the table.  Buyer pick the house, and you are stuck with who ever the listing agent is on the other side.

    ------

    That said, I read your POST!  YOU have Drive, and you don't need a mentor.  That one guy gave you a few tasks and you KILLED it!!! That is your lesson!!! You learnt to get information, resources, and lists, now take that and implement the idea.

    When I didn't have clients when I started, I made myself my client. I started to learn the tool of the trade to find me deals. Or my scenarios, so when the real clients comes along I am not figuring it out then.

    Just keep moving forward, meet MORE ppl.

    I had to go through at least 10 investors to get my first Deal, and that was almost 100 offers.  I did it, b/c I took it as homework.  By the time the real deal came up, I already had negotiation and offer writing down to a science.  I just needed to learn how to close the deal ;p  

    So take everything as a stepping stone to the next, There is no driving directions, only a map and a compass in this game ;p you have to chart your own route

  • Wholesaler · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 247 posts · 76 votes
    9y

    @Jennifer Lee I love your post. Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Barredo

    First off HOOAH!! (Yeah Army Infantry here so I know your call, but love mine, so your getting mine!)

    Step one in RE is realizing most of the successful people have a completely different skill set than you do... PERIOD

    I have met so many people who I thought "WOW if he can do this I am going to be a ROCKSTAR".... You know what? I sat back and listened and after getting beat down regardless of how much I attacked I learned something the Military never actually taught.

    Humility. In the military we are taught to attack and attack until we can't anymore (there is not a "soft component"). That is not as successful when dealing with people and their emotional properties. My opinion (and strictly my thoughts are) . Use that same drive with an interest in helping people find their goals (sell or buy) and you will find out that you have more calls and teammates than you can imagine. 

    I wish you the best and you can do this, just not with a military mind, it requires military focus with a human mind.

  • Real Estate Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2013 · 369 posts · 639 votes
    9y

    @Benjamin Barredo I feel your pain brother! I jumped straight from 12 years active duty, 6 years of those as a SF dude followed by 2 years deployed as a DoD contractor...RIGHT into investing full time. Talk about a culture shock!!  The transition from working with people whom i could entrust with my life, to dealing with people who frankly DGAF and only look out for themselves was a tough one. I was angry as #$%@ all the time; lashed out at everyone that i felt was under performing my expectations, contractors, agents, lenders, lawyers etc. Fortunately my moment of clarity came very quickly. I realized that it wasn't their fault and lashing out would only alienate me and negatively affect my reputation. I realized that they had been operating in this environment far longer than i had and the only variable that had change, was..me. I realized that if i didn't adapt to my new environment and overcome the obstacles it presented, i would fail. 


    1. Trust no one. Unless they have my last name, or we've spilled blood in 3rd world sh@tholes together, we can work/do business together, but i don't trust you. 

    2. Build your team by identify the people you need in your circle to be successful (lawyers, contractors, agents, etc) and then take the time to assess their capabilities and weaknesses. Don't just toss them aside because they pissed you off once. Understand what value they can add to your success, and utilize it. 

    3. Build rapport. Take those people you've identified and decided to work with and get to know them and then decide how YOU can be useful to THEM. If you only focus on how they can be useful to you, the full value of your relationship with them will never materialize. Something as simple as referrals goes a long way, whenever someone asks me for a contractor, lawyer, realtor etc..i recommend those in my circle, and guess what comes back to me when they come across a run-down house? I get first crack at it.  

    Just my 2 cents. Time to drink bourbon watch this dumpster fire of a debate. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, NE · Member since 2011 · 201 posts · 140 votes
    9y

    Spend 4 to six hours a night doing nothing but education, reading articles on trends, looking for deals, corresponding with other business acquaintances. I'd forget relying on other "experts" to guide you and put one foot in front of the other and get at it. Over time you will gather a few people that you know that you can count on. After many years of doing this and dealing with thousands of people, I can probably count on two hands the people that I trust to do what they say consistently. Everyone else is there for you until something better comes up.  I've never had one mentor......I have   talked to hundreds on 'mentors' a few minutes at a time, but I don't think they were aware that they were taking on a mentoring position.  

         I also agree that anybody that is doing this business successfully, full time, would not have any time to mentor you unless they've made their money already.  I feel to be really successful in this business you need to live it 24 hours a day and never shut off for anything or anyone. You can slow down but even when I'm on vacation I check out the local real estate scene and look for ways to get into it.  Listen closely only to the people that have 'made' it, pay attention and keep your head on a swivel and nose to the ground. Never stop learning new strategies and never stop looking for money and deals in general. This includes anything and I mean anything that you can buy low and sell high.  I tell everyone that I don't buy houses, I help people out of their "situations". 

        You don't need no stinking mentors.... look out for yourself, rely on yourself.  After your old and rich, then you can give back to a younger you....at least that's my plan.  But I could be totally wrong though, I've never had a  mentor...:) 

  • Investor · Grapevine, TX · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    You will succeed in REI only to the extent that you badly need to prove it to yourself. No mentor, book or any other resource out there, will ever make you successful, unless you have that BURNING DESIRE/HUNGER/DRIVE inside you to succeed. There never was, is nor will be any substitute for that inner desire. Access to resources is quick and easy nowadays, but plenty of people with this access still don't succeed. It all comes down to YOUR brain.

    Aside from that, throwing your tv in the trash would be a step in the right direction. You could then be reading every evening with less distraction.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    I was fortunate to meet my mentor through a mutual friend at the bank. l have no idea where I would be if I had not met him.

    What he has taught me, and this applies to anyone learning on their own is to be active. Go to every single house, even if you know its not a good deal you should go because every house is a learning experience. You won't know what you can do until you jump right into it. The first house I ever went to was a house that was completely renovated, and I offered 70% retail for it. Do I feel stupid about it now? Yes. Was it a lesson that I learned from? Absolutely.

    Also; get used to flakers. You'll run into a lot of them. They'll show up as sellers, buyers, mentors, friends, people are just afraid to let you know they're not interested. Good luck!

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    9y
    I think you get what you pay for... You said it, you'll pay the attorney and he'll at least perform (or words like that). So, I think it's a good lesson learned. There is no good Free mentoring or coaching. I say this because I have paid out a lot of money to learn my skill of real estate investing. Good for you to bring this up and find answers.
  • Investor · Kent, WA · Member since 2015 · 624 posts · 274 votes
    9y

    Semper Fi and thank you for your service. My son just entered the Delayed Entry Program.

    Just move on. Take it as a blessing in disguise ... and don't waste another ounce of energy thinking about them. It sounds like you're a guy who gets s*** done.

    The suggestion about becoming an assistant for a top producing agent is a great one. You learn so much in a short amount of time ... I've witnessed it myself with someone who trained with my agent. And yes, you get paid while you learn ... win-win :)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Ruth Bayang  yes licensed assistant to a top producer is one of the best ways to learn the industry.. you get leads handed to you.. you do deals based on the top producers creds... 

    one can look for brokers that are doing more commercial work if that is what interest the new comer.

    wholesaling is a very regional pursuit.. its a much bigger opp in the areas were there are more homes than people.. ergo more distressed or junker homes that traditional realtors don't want to fool with.

    but on the west coast its a pretty tough row to hoe  and for most a complete waste of time and energy. far better to make money in a JOB and then invest.

    I see these folks post all the time HEY i want to wholesale to earn cash to then buy and hold.. so going into it they really don't want this as a career its a stop gap.. and a tough one.. whereas getting into real estate as a licensed agent either commerical or resi or what have you if you make it its a lifelong career that opens so many doors for you.. far more than sitting at home pumping out letters  LOL

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.