Age, how many rentals, and type of rentals?

378 Replies

@David Adams

I started buying SF homes 21 years ago when I was 40. (You can guess my age). I knew nothing about nothing but knew I wanted RE income when I retired . I had a full time job that allowed me flexibility so I was able to manage my properties and still have a full time job . The first 30 or so I did all the repairs maintenance etc on my own . I had a giant learning curve during these years . Hardest part was between 35 and 50 rentals . I told people I was in purgatory during that time in my life . It was too much to handle on my own but not enough rentals for a full time maintenance guy . Once I got past that point I hired a full time guy for maintenance and continued to buy. Now I've got a couple guys working for me doing the maintenance . Have close to 100 doors (SFH & MF). I handle all of the showings. rent collection etc. working on retiring from my full time job really soon . It's been a wonderful ride and a lot of work but would not have traded it for anything . Good luck and always stay positive. .

32 years old. 6 properties, 4 duplex's. 4 on 15 year loans, 2 on 30 year. Looking to buy now

I am 35. I currently have 51 units i left my 9-5 at age 32. Best thing i ever did. I self managed until this year to help save money which i just kept on putting into the next deal. Second best thing i ever did.  Working on my systems right now so i can work from anywhere. 

Age 38

20 units (all multifamily and 1 convenience store) 

Started by buying a wreck of a duplex in 2016

BRRRRed it up the whole way. Own three 6-plexes and that duplex. Have yet to sell. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you