Kitchen added in basement, no permits

Kitchen added in basement, no permits

Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 3 votes

Hey All - Super n00b here.

We remodeled our basement and added a kitchen. There was plumbing and electrical that was added. There was also a washer and dryer added upstairs. We then added a wall to close off the water heater into a closet and finished drywalling the walls and ceilings.

Are we totally screwed because we did not get permits to begin with?

0Reply
204 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Monument, CO · Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 41 votes
4y

As long as you built to code, you will be okay. If or when you decide to put your house up for sale, an inspector will perhaps check for permit history, but they won't call the municipal or county on you. There is no enforcement arm for self-improvements. Inspectors likely just check to see if it's built to code and flag anything that isn't, and then those things will likely become negotiating items (whether to fix or reduce price). In other words, you aren't in an ideal situation, but you're far from "totally screwed."

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    So I’m my first house, I put in a new kitchen and added central air. When I went to sell, the town code guy questioned the central air (I was only there two years). I said it was there when I bought it. He also knew for sure I redid my kitchen and wanrnwd me not to do that again as he could have made me take down the cabinets and open walls to check the electrical I ran. This was all prior to me being a contractor. 
    in Easton, Pa where I do a lot of my work, anything over 2 sheets of drywall needs a permit, replacement windows, you name it. I’ve had Stop Work Orders posted after a neighbor called on me for bringing 4 sheets of drywall in to a rental I was rehabbing for a client. This opened up a can of worms. I was sent a letter from the city that if I was caught again without permits they would pull my business license to work in that city. There’s also a mark on my record on some builder website. So yeah, permits are a pita but often necessary. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt M.:

    So yeah, permits are a pita but often necessary. 


     Well they do also keep everybody on the same page. Some homeowner doing his own rehab should have to play by the same rules as the rest of us, and his finished product should be safe and functional....

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @John Fakish:

    @Jim K. What would be your suggestion here? What should I expect? Would love your thoughts. Kitchens are allowed in basements out here, but again - we didn't get the permit in advance (we are reaching out to the correct departments now to correct this oversight).

    Our basement is half above ground and the windows are super large - same size as the upper level windows. They slide open and one can easily climb out of the window. 

    The ADU code is outlined in the section below.

    Section 13.11.010

    OK, John, let's put our big-boy pants and speak frankly here. You knew from DAY ONE of your basement reno with kitchen added was going to be trouble. Be honest now, you're on this forum trying to find out how much trouble you could get in, not because you feel an ounce of remorse for what you've done. You're looking for forgiveness after the fact, when you should have been asking about permission before the fact. This wasn't an "oversight." That's total BS. Admit it, at least to yourself. You deliberately went ahead and did this and are playing stupid now.

    I suggest you engage in this process of radical honesty before you're hauled in front of a local judge or magistrate over this and repeat your "just an oversight" line to her or him. After the guffaws from the bench die down, what comes next will most definitely not be to your liking.

    As I mentioned before, the laws and procedures regarding building codes and common renovation practices are different everywhere, it's an unfortunate reality of the highly localized nature of residential construction, maintenance, and renovation in this country. I can't speak to what happens in Taylorsville, Utah, and so I won't. What I can do is pretend that you pulled your boo-boo and built an unpermitted ADU inside your house here in Pittsburgh.

    So the first thing you would have had to handle here would be the water problem. Allegheny County has a separate permitting and inspection bureaucracy for plumbing, it's county-wide and is part of the AC Health Department. If you built a kitchen down in the basement, you added in a new branch drain tying into the main stack, and a new vent (or air-admittance valve). You would need to submit planning for this, get approved, and get two inspections for this from the county-wide health department.

    If the bathroom for this ADU was already in the basement (I assume it was, or you would have mentioned it, as the 4-inch branch drain for the toilet would have been far more difficult and expensive than the minimum 1 1/2 inch brain drain you need for a kitchen), you would have to worry about upgrading the egress practicalities as soon as that drain went in. Perhaps the basement bathroom toilet drain was put in way before the building code requirements came in. That happened a lot here with what are called "Pittsburgh potties" here. Upgrading any other part of the system would lead to new egress requirements. How big are the windows and the window wells? "Super large" and "someone can easily climb out of the window" doesn't mean a firefighter in full equipment can jump out with a child in his arms. Do you see the problem? GET THE MEASUREMENTS YOU NEED AND MAKE SURE YOU SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS.

    Now, what's funny is that the ADU code you provided for Taylorsville, Utah actually contains a citation to the requirement you needed. You're looking for IRC 310.1. You need a "minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet."

    Why am I doing this work for you?

    Does Taylorsville, Utah have a formal basement fireblocking requirement for finished basements? We do. Did you build out the new walls and close off the ceiling with that in mind?

    So again, it's a kitchen. Is the stove gas or electric? If electric, then you added a 30-amp circuit to your board, in addition to whatever else you added for the lights and outlets. And again, it's an ADU. Doing this kind of process nowadays demands that you split off the ADU into a separately supplied board. Does your ADU have its own, separately billed board of at least 100 amps? That's what you'd need.

    Ah, but it Taylorsville, an ADU with separately billed utilities isn't allowed. Also in the code information you sent me...

    AGAIN, WHY AM I DOING THIS WORK FOR YOU???

    I'm going to stop now. I hope you get the point.

  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Jim K. Lol all I meant was 'what should I expect now that I have reached out to planning/permitting?'

    But thank you.

  • Property Manager · Monument, CO · Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 41 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @John Fakish:

    OK, John, let's put our big-boy pants and speak frankly here. You knew from DAY ONE of your basement reno with kitchen added was going to be trouble. Be honest now, you're on this forum trying to find out how much trouble you could get in, not because you feel an ounce of remorse for what you've done. You're looking for forgiveness after the fact, when you should have been asking about permission before the fact. This wasn't an "oversight." That's total BS. Admit it, at least to yourself. You deliberately went ahead and did this and are playing stupid now.

    This is out of line, Jim. I'm enjoying this spirited conversation, and I think all of us are learning from John's honest question. Calling people "stupid" or dishonest because they don't align with your views isn't reflective of the BP community. I suggest you delete your rude comment.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Jeub:
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @John Fakish:

    OK, John, let's put our big-boy pants and speak frankly here. You knew from DAY ONE of your basement reno with kitchen added was going to be trouble. Be honest now, you're on this forum trying to find out how much trouble you could get in, not because you feel an ounce of remorse for what you've done. You're looking for forgiveness after the fact, when you should have been asking about permission before the fact. This wasn't an "oversight." That's total BS. Admit it, at least to yourself. You deliberately went ahead and did this and are playing stupid now.

    This is out of line, Jim. I'm enjoying this spirited conversation, and I think all of us are learning from John's honest question. Calling people "stupid" or dishonest because they don't align with your views isn't reflective of the BP community. I suggest you delete your rude comment.

    So the guy spent or paid for someone to spend 100 or so man hours putting an unpermitted kitchen in his basement and he never stopped for a moment to reflect that he might just be doing something ILLEGAL AS HELL? That's really what you insist I should pretend to believe?

    Scaling those naive heights of deluded fancy is simply beyond me.

  • Bel Air, CA · Member since 2017 · 165 posts · 47 votes
    4y

    Work without permit is impermanent work.

    Not everybody who put in a 2nd kitchen plans to keep it there permanently especially in a SF without ADU

    As eventual resale (afteer moving, died, etc) is expected to be with financing which seems the longtime western standard aka '(north) American Dream' as home prices are widely based on 'the most' much banks will lend out for it, and values for state/county/city tax likewise based on such inflated markets to fatten also those officials' pockets too.


    Typical response from inspector will be 'obtain permit' for impermanent work as most always even just demolition requires permit - before beginning 'any work'.


    I remember in NYC, people would replace a simple toilet or sink vanity themselves and neighbors would report them the moment they spotted a DIY project - and city would literally come out and issue violation and 'stop all work order' without even getting inside to see if what the tenants and/or neighbors tattled was actually true. Usually money would have to be paid to pull a permit for replacing said toilet or sink etc plus additional fees for each inspector appointment! 

    Wonder where is the fine line per local code/dept buildings? Ie in one jurisdiction one can change their own toilet or sink without permit while other might even require a permit to change a faucet! Then there's HOAs who are notorious for issuing fines for even just painting or refinishing - yet get away inexplicably for any work they deem necessary on the common areas of a building without even pulling a permit first.

    Doesn't property tax permanently go up for each improvement/addition most of the time? Even if you later take out said improvement/addition, unless reassessment actually happens and is successful in bringing the inflated tax assessment based on improvement history back down.


    Godspeed.

  • Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @John Fakish:

    @Jim K. What would be your suggestion here? What should I expect? Would love your thoughts. Kitchens are allowed in basements out here, but again - we didn't get the permit in advance (we are reaching out to the correct departments now to correct this oversight).

    Our basement is half above ground and the windows are super large - same size as the upper level windows. They slide open and one can easily climb out of the window. 

    The ADU code is outlined in the section below.

    Section 13.11.010

    OK, John, let's put our big-boy pants and speak frankly here. You knew from DAY ONE of your basement reno with kitchen added was going to be trouble. Be honest now, you're on this forum trying to find out how much trouble you could get in, not because you feel an ounce of remorse for what you've done. You're looking for forgiveness after the fact, when you should have been asking about permission before the fact. This wasn't an "oversight." That's total BS. Admit it, at least to yourself. You deliberately went ahead and did this and are playing stupid now.

    I suggest you engage in this process of radical honesty before you're hauled in front of a local judge or magistrate over this and repeat your "just an oversight" line to her or him. After the guffaws from the bench die down, what comes next will most definitely not be to your liking.

    As I mentioned before, the laws and procedures regarding building codes and common renovation practices are different everywhere, it's an unfortunate reality of the highly localized nature of residential construction, maintenance, and renovation in this country. I can't speak to what happens in Taylorsville, Utah, and so I won't. What I can do is pretend that you pulled your boo-boo and built an unpermitted ADU inside your house here in Pittsburgh.

    So the first thing you would have had to handle here would be the water problem. Allegheny County has a separate permitting and inspection bureaucracy for plumbing, it's county-wide and is part of the AC Health Department. If you built a kitchen down in the basement, you added in a new branch drain tying into the main stack, and a new vent (or air-admittance valve). You would need to submit planning for this, get approved, and get two inspections for this from the county-wide health department.

    If the bathroom for this ADU was already in the basement (I assume it was, or you would have mentioned it, as the 4-inch branch drain for the toilet would have been far more difficult and expensive than the minimum 1 1/2 inch brain drain you need for a kitchen), you would have to worry about upgrading the egress practicalities as soon as that drain went in. Perhaps the basement bathroom toilet drain was put in way before the building code requirements came in. That happened a lot here with what are called "Pittsburgh potties" here. Upgrading any other part of the system would lead to new egress requirements. How big are the windows and the window wells? "Super large" and "someone can easily climb out of the window" doesn't mean a firefighter in full equipment can jump out with a child in his arms. Do you see the problem? GET THE MEASUREMENTS YOU NEED AND MAKE SURE YOU SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS.

    Now, what's funny is that the ADU code you provided for Taylorsville, Utah actually contains a citation to the requirement you needed. You're looking for IRC 310.1. You need a "minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet."

    Why am I doing this work for you?

    Does Taylorsville, Utah have a formal basement fireblocking requirement for finished basements? We do. Did you build out the new walls and close off the ceiling with that in mind?

    So again, it's a kitchen. Is the stove gas or electric? If electric, then you added a 30-amp circuit to your board, in addition to whatever else you added for the lights and outlets. And again, it's an ADU. Doing this kind of process nowadays demands that you split off the ADU into a separately supplied board. Does your ADU have its own, separately billed board of at least 100 amps? That's what you'd need.

    Ah, but it Taylorsville, an ADU with separately billed utilities isn't allowed. Also in the code information you sent me...

    AGAIN, WHY AM I DOING THIS WORK FOR YOU???

    I'm going to stop now. I hope you get the point.


     Respectfully, you didn't have to be so condescending giving information. His basement kitchen does not affect you. There's more respectful ways to display your passion for building permits while giving constructive criticism. 

  • Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
    4y
    Quote from @John Fakish:

    Hey All - Super n00b here.

    We remodeled our basement and added a kitchen. There was plumbing and electrical that was added. There was also a washer and dryer added upstairs. We then added a wall to close off the water heater into a closet and finished drywalling the walls and ceilings.

    Are we totally screwed because we did not get permits to begin with?


     If you haven't already, and this isn't legal advice just a perspective, call the city without identifying yourself or where the property is. Explain what happened and that you'd like to learn the process for getting legitimate. Ask if having a licensed contractor come over to review and revised where needed would create a situation where by they come, approve it and you go on or are you guaranteed some demo or full tear down. 

    Dont rent the basement out. If your tenants get barbecued from a basement fire  caused by your unpermitted electrical work or suffer any injury living in a space not zoned for occupancy, your home and freedom are likely being taken. 

  • CO · Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 40 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jim Spatzenfeld:
    Quote from @Michael Gessner:

    …….you will have to hire licensed contractors for each trade to certify all is up to code….


    That’s false information. Maybe true in many municipalities in New York, but here in California (and probably Utah as well) the owner can do all work himself without any licensed contractors. 

    You REALLY need to read the code in your area on this. In my city, for a renovation like this, you need to have a licensed general contractor AND subcontractors (electrician, plumber, HVAC, etc.) who perform and sign off on work done in those categories. Perhaps this isn't true in your area but it varies. In Colorado, you CAN have "homeowner as contractor" but this only applies if the property is your primary residence and what you are building/renovating is for personal use (your own dwelling or an ADU to your own primary residence) and is not intended to be rented out as a separate unit or as an investment property. You still have to have some electrical work etc. done and inspected by the appropriate people (ie: you can run the electric through the walls and install outlets and light fixtures but an electrician has to be the one to connect the house side wiring to the electric box and inspect your work. The city has to be the one to connect you on the city's side.) For instance, I was going take a duplex which was considered my primary residence and finish the basement into a 3rd unit to rent out. It was completely allowable per zoning but because it was a separate unit to be rented out, they would not allow me to do this because of the above reasons. I considered doing it anyways without permits, but to code, and hoping the city never found out or going to them afterwards and claiming it was already that way when I bought it but for my risk tolerance at the time, I was not willing to take on that risk. (Risks include but not limited to: Expensive fines, city makes the tenants move out, city makes you tear it all out, city then goes on to deny your permit applications in the future, a tenant or neighbor reports you to the city, an awful event occurs like a fire and your tenants are injured/killed or your house is damaged and now your insurance wont cover it, etc.)
    The point being-everything is potentially different depending on your area. If I were you, I would decide to either A. Take the risk and don't go to the city, just rent it and move on OR B. Contact the city with a ton of humbleness and just tell them you want to make it right. Hubris and ego don't go far with them, but they are way more willing to work with you usually if you apologize and "just want to make it right". They're not terrible people, they are just trying to do a job, make sure the building is safe for occupancy, and yes, collect some fees for the city. 
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Rodney Sums:

     Respectfully, you didn't have to be so condescending giving information. His basement kitchen does not affect you. There's more respectful ways to display your passion for building permits while giving constructive criticism. 

    I think, to some extent, I have to agree with you. But this is what happened.

    The OP posted up the specialized code for Accessory Dwelling Units in his area that he had obviously never looked at, which contained answers to some of his basic questions, in reference to the International Residential Code, which he had also obviously never looked at. The OP very clearly expected me to do his work for him, be it out of laziness, ignorance, whatever.

    So I would say there were more intelligent/respectful ways for the OP to go about his business in the forums that to copy a link and expect the adults in the room to wipe and powder him and give him free, personalized, specialized advice of the nature he was asking for.

    I cannot possibly overemphasize this, Rodney. Real estate investing isn't for the psychologically vulnerable who need trigger warnings and safe spaces to find and use their voices. It's just harder than that. It really, really is.

    The OP needs to get used to this if he's going to be doing obviously questionable things like building a kitchen in his basement without even really trying to study the building code involved and only asking about the possible penalties he might be facing for this after the fact. I do not understand how you can look at this and not conclude is is both L-A-Z-Y and S-L-I-M-Y as H-E-L-L, and the OP should be handled with baby-goatskin gloves to protect his dainty finer feelings.

    SERIOUSLY? If I wanted to go into daycare I'd get a license.
  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @Rodney Sums:

     Respectfully, you didn't have to be so condescending giving information. His basement kitchen does not affect you. There's more respectful ways to display your passion for building permits while giving constructive criticism. 

    I think, to some extent, I have to agree with you. But this is what happened.

    The OP posted up the specialized code for Accessory Dwelling Units in his area that he had obviously never looked at, which contained answers to some of his basic questions, in reference to the International Residential Code, which he had also obviously never looked at. The OP very clearly expected me to do his work for him, be it out of laziness, ignorance, whatever.

    So I would say there were more intelligent/respectful ways for the OP to go about his business in the forums that to copy a link and expect the adults in the room to wipe and powder him and give him free, personalized, specialized advice of the nature he was asking for.

    I cannot possibly overemphasize this, Rodney. Real estate investing isn't for the psychologically vulnerable who need trigger warnings and safe spaces to find and use their voices. It's just harder than that. It really, really is.

    The OP needs to get used to this if he's going to be doing obviously questionable things like building a kitchen in his basement without even really trying to study the building code involved and only asking about the possible penalties he might be facing for this after the fact. I do not understand how you can look at this and not conclude is is both L-A-Z-Y and S-L-I-M-Y as H-E-L-L, and the OP should be handled with baby-goatskin gloves to protect his dainty finer feelings.

    SERIOUSLY? If I wanted to go into daycare I'd get a license.

     Like I said earlier, buddy....All I was requesting was insight into what I should expect now that I've reached out to permitting. You interpreted that as 'do my work for me'. If anybody is triggered here....it is 100% you lol. The term "triggered" refers to the experience of having an emotional reaction to a topic......Sounds about you.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    That mentality of "it is build to code" or "I used licensed professionals so it is fine" is really incorrect thinking. I always get permits, always build to code and always use licensed professionals. It is still very common to get things flagged in inspections. The entire reason people avoid permits is to take shortcuts and avoid having issues show up during inspection. 

    Licensed and experienced professionals make mistakes or they are not familiar with code changes. If the work was done by a DIY home owner, the likelihood of mistakes is ten fold. 

    Adding a kitchen in a basement is most likely an effort to add a secondary living space. That could even get into zoning. Even beyond zoning, there can be fire code requirements for egress or venting requirements for the stove.

    There are all sorts of things that need to be inspected. Pipe sizing, wire sizing, GFCI protection, panel board wiring, egress. Even the water heater being in a closet could be an issue. Do you have proper venting for fresh air supply? Did you maintain appropriate distance from the water heater?

    As far as being "screwed", do you plan to sell the property? Buyers will want to see permits and know the work was inspected.

    Do you plan to rent out the space? Do you expect your insurance company to cover you for damage or liability if there is a fire in the basement kitchen? Have you talked with your insurance provider and disclosed your non permitted work? This would be my biggest concern. 

    I would contact the city, explain a hypothetical situation of a home owner that didn't realize they needed permits. See if they will work with you. I would deal with this issue. People who blow off permits are just a ticking time bomb for it to catch up to them.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @John Fakish I think you’ve pretty much gotten all the advice you need here and it sounds like you’re doing the right thing by going to the permitting office and making it right… however just for posterity sake/ anyone else who may be reading and considering something similar… another issue that can come up when it is time to sell which hasn’t been mentioned is with the appraisal. I’ve seen quite a few of these situations, mostly in areas where it’s not possible to legally add a 2nd kitchen. People do it anyway, fly under the radar renting it out as long as possible and hope to not get caught (or worst case scenario sued for damages if somebody gets hurt/ have a tenant use it as leverage against them in a dispute) and then when it’s time to sell they just rip the kitchen out. That’s easier than disclosing that they didn’t get permits, explaining things to potential buyers, inspectors, appraisers, lenders, insurance, etc. and potentially discounting the price for whatever it would cost to make it right. Much better to get it sorted out now, have less hassle when it’s time to sell and sleep better at night in the meantime IMO. Sometimes it’s as easy as getting the permit retroactively, having it signed off on and approved. Other times they make you rip it all out and pay a big fine. Then there are in-between scenarios where they make you open up walls so they can inspect wire runs, plumbing etc. You may end up needing to redo some of the work. Usually they find something that needs to be changed adding some expense but hopefully you are still able to get it approved eventually. You’re doing the right thing by going to the city, tail between legs so to speak. Good luck!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Rodney Sums:

    Piggybacking on @Steve K. I would add this angle.....for a while I added Home Inspections to my GC business. Having a builder's mind, I would always suggest that the buyer call the local city Building Dept and ask for permit status. Any open permits? What is the closed permit history? Are there any obviously new rooms, like kitchens, baths, master suites, etc? Do they have a corresponding permit?

    When un-permitted work was found, I would often hear the Buyer's Realtor say at the meeting that they were going to offer less per SF because of the lack of permits. Just another thing to consider....

  • Justin ArnoldPro Member
    Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Gessner:

    @John Fakish every response so far has been inaccurate, finishing a basment is one thing, adding a kitchen is a whole thing in its self. The building inspector will make you pull a permit for all, framing, electrical, plumbing etc, then you will have to hire licensed contractors for each trade to certify all is up to code. If your basment does not meet current code, egress windows or full walkout basemnt, not a garage they do not count as egress as well as head room then you will be required to rip it all out, or they will let it slide as finished storage space, which the kitchen will have to still be removed. You should of pulled the permits that were necessary, especially you took an unfinished space and converted it. If you sell your house, once title is done and the building dept does they're walk around they will issue a violation and in return you will not be able to sell until that violation is satisfied. More and more municipalities are cracking down on add one that we're never permitted

    Maybe in NY. Our building dept doesn't "do a walk around" that can prevent you from selling a home.  And renters can't just not pay rent because you didn't pull a permit.
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @John Fakish is it on sewer or septic? How do you know it's to code? If a fire starts because of improper wiring and burns the whole house your insurance won't pay. What do you have as far as access in and out of the basement? Is it at ground level or below grade?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Karen Margrave:

    @John Fakish is it on sewer or septic? How do you know it's to code? If a fire starts because of improper wiring and burns the whole house your insurance won't pay. What do you have as far as access in and out of the basement? Is it at ground level or below grade?


     Good questions! And speaking of below grade windows...a lot of them have wells to collect water. These are not legal for egress.....

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Yes, you may face some penalties and they may want some of the work redone. It's better to own up to it and get it corrected that to try hiding it and get caught.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Yes, you may face some penalties and they may want some of the work redone. It's better to own up to it and get it corrected that to try hiding it and get caught.


     Always. This kind of issue will always come back to bite you. Ask me how I know.......

  • Investor · NY · Member since 2019 · 171 posts · 80 votes
    4y

    I think every house in Long Island has a basement bath built with no permit. Technically speaking you do need permits but there is really no enforcement. However when it comes time to sell the house it will be excluded and only the bathrooms with proper permits will be listed on the sites. So instead of it being listed as a 3/3 it will be listed as a 3/2 which may hurt you when it comes time to sell. In your case you will have an entire kitchen excluded. You are not screwed but you are not necessarily doing yourself any favors either. Personally, for a full kitchen I probably would have pulled permits to resell it properly in the future.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    4y

    This is a mother in law apartment.

    Done with safety and to code.

    I really thought my partner got the permits

    I really thought the owner pulled the permits

    I am the plumber and the owner said they pulled the permit but, everything is safe and to code.

    I am the electrician and the owner said they pulled the permit, everything is to code and safe.

    I vote no and have these two subs do their jobs correctly.  If it is not framed right , both of them will

    bring it up to you.  A few pictures of the procedures may keep some badge driven inspector to tell you to remove 

    the sheet rock.

    Working with the city on permits is like working with an ex spouse or getting your wisdom teeth pulled!!

    Most selling agents clients may ask if permits where pulled.  Most buyers agents the same.  But both of them want the deal to close so they can afford $6 a gallon gas by July.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.