Keyless combination entry locks a good idea?

Keyless combination entry locks a good idea?

UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes

I have only been able to find a few posts on the use of keyless locks. I am thinking of a changeover to keyless, but wondering whether to go digital or mechanical. I have the Schlage digital on my house and I LOVE them. They save so much time and hassle. I once had an emergency while out of town and was able to give the code to a family member over the phone and alleviate the problem. It then took about 30 seconds to change the code upon return.

The one other unit I have them on has also been nice, as I don't need to give the tenant a key, and don't need to change the locks between tenants (just a quick code change).

However, these locks are very expensive, and there are pros and cons to the mechanical vs. electronic. The electronic are nice because you can program multiple codes, you can program temporary codes, and they are backlit so you can see the buttons at night. The draw backs are that they require batteries, they are not as heavy duty, and there is always risk of the electronics failing and locking you out. The mechanical locks are only able to have one code, but they do not take batteries and typically never fail. I have also seen both models available with a self-locking feature, which I think is nice because it ensures the door is locked.

I use a mechanical lockbox (similar to a realtor Supra combination lock) on the outside of the property for a master and extra keys and it has also been very convenient. I had a tenant break off a key, and was able to give them the code to get the extra key without going out to the property.

So, given the differences, would you go with mechanical or electronic? The 'good' mechanical are actually as expensive or more as the electronic (there must be a HUGE markup on them). The big thing keeping me debating is the back light. I was going to install LED motion lights anyway, so I am hoping that would provide enough light to not need the backlit models. The locksmith I spoke to said the electronic ones are not a good long term solution because of the possibility of them going out (and expense of then replacing it again), and I really like the dependability/reliability of the mechanical. Is anyone else using these? If so, do you recommend mechanical or electronic (and why)? If not, what way would you go?

3Reply
254 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
12y

Hmm these sound interesting, until I heard the batteries part. Batteries go dead fast in cold weather. And we have seen a ton of single digit temps this year.

I use landlord locks, each unit is keyed independently, yet I have a master key that works on all of them.

I can change out the tumbler and rekey a house in 15 seconds per handle. I think they cost me about $45 per hand set w a dead bolt. But they are very nice strong locks.

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Kent Verge 

    That is very much like the  models we use, only without the ZWave connectivity.

    We have interfaced ours with our home grown building management system.  This allows us to programme or operate the lock remotely.   As an example, when one of our student tenants lock themselves out, no need to get in the car and drive to the property, the lock can be opened from our laptop (we still charge them, just not as much as if we had to drive over).  Similarly, when the plumber or HVAC guy needs to get into the unit, we can send them a temporary access code.   Finally, our tenants can access the delegated functionality of our building management system from an app and operate the door lock using it.

  • Investor · Antioch, CA · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 58 votes
    11y

    Regarding the lack of backlit keypad on the mechanical version: Most people would use their cell phone screens for impromptu lighting, no?

  • Property Manager · Ventress, LA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    My experience with electronic looks are that they are nice for a personal residence but not rentals.

    I do not buy locking knobs because they offer no addeded security if paired with a deadbolt . 

    Kwickset offers smart keys that allow you to rekey in minutes . Again lost keys sets need to be available for the tenants when the key is replaced. Smart keys are more expensive and are subject to breaking more then the commonplace cheaper model.

    I have only deadbolts to rekey/replace. If you standardize on one brand, the lock sets can be replaced in 5 minutes. Keep a few extra lock sets with keys to swop out and replace any extra lost keys at your leasure. Rental properties are difficult on locks and need to be simple, strong, reliable and a maintenance certainty .

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    I should add that I don't use the electronic locks on our other traditional rentals. Similar to @Leon Engle I use locks from Landlordlocks.com that allow the cylinders to be swapped out for easy rekeying. I'm not sure I would want to use anything else for a normal rental.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kent Verge:

    I should add that I don't use the electronic locks on our other traditional rentals. Similar to @Leon Engle I use locks from Landlordlocks.com that allow the cylinders to be swapped out for easy rekeying. I'm not sure I would want to use anything else for a normal rental.

     Ken:

    The electronic Schlage locks mentioned above also have a keyed cylinder which can be easily swapped.  We use a mixture of Schlage and LSDA locks (same keyway) across our properties with a master / sub-master / individual key tree and have had not issues with the introducing the electronic locks and swapping cylinders.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    11y

    I installed a Kwikset keypad deadbolt on my own apartment door and everyone hated how loud the damn thing was. It was replacing (and replaced by) a Codelock pushbutton latch. I was looking for the greater security of the deadbolt because my family wants to never have to lock the door themselves.

    For the rentals I've taken the smartlock cool-aid. So easy to re-key. I can key it for realtors and tradespeople, then key it again when a tenant moves in. I can have as much or as little keyed alike as I want.  They have their security flaws, but what affordable lock doesn't?

  • Real Estate Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Definitely a MUST for any common area door like a laundry room or storage with multiple tenants accessing the space!

  • Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I just posted a similar question before seeing this thread.  I have a Kaba e-plex which is a heavy duty commercial type of keypad lock.  It is non-internet connected.  The one question I have is a concern that the tenants could give out the code for parties to strangers.  On the other hand, the Kaba will auto-lock, which provides security over a tenant forgetting to throw the deadbolt.  

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @William Nohmor

    I am not familiar with this lock.  Are you able to provide each tenant with a unique code?  While this will not mitigate a tenant sharing their code, it will facilitate identifying who shared.  It would also mean you need not change everyone's access when a tenant leaves.

  • Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:

    @William Nohmor

    I am not familiar with this lock.  Are you able to provide each tenant with a unique code?  While this will not mitigate a tenant sharing their code, it will facilitate identifying who shared.  It would also mean you need not change everyone's access when a tenant leaves.

     yes, each tenant can have their own code.  You can have 100 codes.  There is also an audit trail which holds something like 1000 records but  you have to have a special machine to access it.

  • Flipper · California, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Bringing an old post to life.  I am trying to figure out the best method to remotely allow me to give access to units to service providers.  I live about an hour from the property and can't drive over very often.  I have a few questions.

    For the locks that allow you to open remotely, enter temporary access code for a painter, etc....don't those need to be connected to the internet 100% of the time?  What network are people connecting their locks to in an apartment building use?  If a tenant moves out and their internet is turned off, there is nothing to connect to in order to allow remote control/access.  Am i understanding this correctly?

    Something like the Schlage BE365VPLY505 would work but then the vendors would have an access code that would still be in the lock until deleted manually.

    I would appreciate any help and feedback

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    Kwikset smart-locks (DIY rekey type) failed on me 3 times. The locks just got jammed.  They even have the "smartkey reset cradle tool" to address this issue. However, youtube does have some vids on how to reset w/o the tool.

    I now use the keyless deadbolt + bed/bath privacy handle on front doors. End of stories for: tenant locked out, key broke, lock jammed, etc... 

    For backup in case of electronic keypad failure, I leave a copy of the key (comes w the keypad) in a combination key lockbox.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Kurt Z.

    Most of your {reputable} remote-controlled lock sets {in a larger building or commercial setting} use Zigbee, zWave or, perhaps, a proprietary low-power wireless communication back to a hub/grid/control system which may be connected to the Internet (via a gateway), a private network or have dial-in access.

  • Flipper · California, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kiet N.:

    Thanks Kiet.  What brand and model lock do you prefer?

  • Flipper · California, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Roy N. Thank you.  So, how do people keep the locks connected to a low power wireless hub when tenants are moving out and cutting off internet?

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    @Kurt Z.

    I'm all in cheapo solutions - marked down, discounted, open box, etc...  as long as it addresses my need.

    Ebay and Craigslist sometimes have great deals from ppl who got the "jammed" smartlocks and/or lost the physical key.    

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kurt Z.:

    @Roy N. Thank you.  So, how do people keep the locks connected to a low power wireless hub when tenants are moving out and cutting off internet?

     You would never run your building monitoring/management system over the tenants Internet connection ... you use your own network or dial-up connectivity.

  • Flipper · California, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Roy N. are you still using the same Schlage locks?  Also, what system do you use to connect the locks to the internet for remote code access and control?  Do you have an internet account in a common area that the locks connect to?  Thank you!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lebanon, OH · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Would not mind knowing this system also.  We have a handful of 4 units with common areas and this would be a good way to control that.

    Thanks, Tony

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kurt Z.:

    @Roy N. are you still using the same Schlage locks?  Also, what system do you use to connect the locks to the internet for remote code access and control?  Do you have an internet account in a common area that the locks connect to?  Thank you!!

     Yes, we are still using the Schlage locks, though that particular model is becoming scarce - it seems Schlage is joining the powered deadbolt parade.   We have our own home-grown {still experimental} building monitoring system {in my other life, I am a software/communications security engineer} to which the locks interface.   In all our student rentals, and many of our other buildings, we have high-bandwidth connectivity into the building:  a small, but prioritized, portion is used for our monitoring, the reset is segregated into separate networks and provided "complementarily" to our tenants.

  • Contractor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    kwikset smart key is very easy to use and it is what I have used over the years 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Eric F.:

    kwikset smart key is very easy to use and it is what I have used over the years 

     The Kwickset/Weiser smartkey are convenient fine for small residential properties, but not practical for multi-unit buildings as they do not play nice in key trees.

  • Xinyi Township, Nantou County · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    I use the keyless combination locks. We were using it for gym locker with the 4 dial codes,no problem so far

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.