So, I’ve got this rental property, was currently renting at 1000 per month, but I am trying to get 1400-1500 per month now. It has cabinets that are original, 45 years old. The cabinet under the sink had water damage to the base, and I have the option of just repairing that and painting the inside of it. Or I could just get all new cabinets top and bottom. Which would you do? Also, the toilets are old, probably 15-25 years old. Do you recommend just getting new toilets put in, because I am having the old really worn and poorly laid tile floors replaced with full LVP so they would need to be reseated anyway. I was eyeing the American standard cadet 3 toilets if I was to replace.







Hi Sam,
Given your goal of increasing the rental rate to $1,400-$1,500 per month, I would suggest investing in new cabinets and toilets. Replacing the 45-year-old cabinets with new ones will significantly enhance the kitchen's appeal, making the property more attractive to potential tenants. As you're already replacing the old tile floors with LVP, installing new toilets like the American Standard Cadet 3 during this process is practical and will provide a more modern and efficient bathroom setup. These updates can justify the higher rent and potentially reduce maintenance issues in the future. Feel free to reach out directly if you need anything else. Hope this helps!
I'm still getting quotes for painting the cabinets vs getting new ones. So far, a company quoted me $3200 for painting, vs $6500 to install new plywood cabinets. I think this is all far too expensive, and I'm thinking now I'm going to go there and paint these cabinets myself over a weekend for closer to $200 . Do these numbers sound normal to everyone? To me, it sounds really expensive. I haven't priced out the home depot or Ikea cabinets yet, but I would expect around 2000+1000 for install
Make sure you can "get" 1400-1500. This will be a huge factor when trying to invest in rehabbing the unit.
If you can't achieve those rents, you may be able to reface the cabinets, and paint the boxes. Old cabinets are usually made with better quality.
New toilets are much more efficient with water, and not very expensive. A new vanity is also an inexpensive upgrade.
If you do land on painting the kitchen cabinets yourself, here is a good instructional guide on DiY process https://www.younghouselove.com/mauve-kitchen-cabinets-hidden. These folks are great budget friendly DiY rehabbers (they're actually friends of mine) who also had an HGTV show. Good luck and don't get discouraged. REI is not about avoiding problems but finding creative solutions!
>I know I could at least get 1300 in rent for it. but hoping for 1500
I always do underwriting with the conservative range. At $1300 rent, using 50% rule that is $150 a month of additional cash flow from the rehab. I have to believe there are easier ways to make that money.
Note many of your items in this project are not related to health and safety. I would swap toilet seats because those were disgusting but I would only swap the toilets if the water was in your name and not the tenant’s name. In general repair only what is necessary and replace only what is necessary and cannot be replaced.
We do this to make money. the margins on this property are tight. The tenant flips have to be performed being budget conscious.
As for not having a loan, that implies no leverage. ARV is $170k. I will use $140k value doing minimum to make safe and not in constant need of maintenance.
$1k rent using 50% rule places with no leverage provides $500/month cash flow or $6k year. I believe at that low a rent point your expenses likely exceed 50% of the rent but I will use 50% rule. This means cash flow is producing 4.3% ROE. Note in a decent appreciation market I may accept this cash flow return but I would still need to have leverage to magnify the return. In a market where units have a value of ~$140k, the appreciation is not likely to help this return significantly.
Using $1300 rent with no leverage and an arv of $170k provides $650 cash flow with 50% rule. This route requires a larger rehab budget and more work (and risk). It Provides 4.6% ROE. Again appreciation is unlikely to be a big help but there will be more sweat equity than the minimum Approach.
Your numbers are very tight regardless of which path you take. Residential RE is not passive. Is this return worth the effort involved? Only you can answer the question for you. I know the answer for me.
Good luck
Definitely new toilets and I would do the cabinets as well. It will pay for itself in the long run. A renter will be just as picky with a rental as they would be if they were buying it.