Fix and Flip Must Use Finishes and Fixtures

Fix and Flip Must Use Finishes and Fixtures

Boise, ID · Member since 2020 · 84 posts · 87 votes

I am learning about Fix and Flip strategies (I've only done developments).

I want to grow my income from Real Estate while working on developments (ie waiting for zoning, permits and building)

What have become your go to finishes for fix and flips to maximize value? I'm looking at the bottom third of the market to focus (in Boise that is under $450k). 

Are you doing butcher block, quartzite or masonite for counter tops? What color are you painting your stock cabinets? What flooring choices are best bang for buck in each area of the house? Finishes for fixtures? (Brass, brushed nickel, etc).

Love to hear how others are making these decisions.

1Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Taylor DaschBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Temple, TX · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 700 votes
1y

Some flippers use the same finishes on each project, however, the best way (in my opinion) is to flip with the comps.  This way you dont overdo it or under do it for any given project. Just copy or use similar finishes to what has sold in the area. There are some exceptions in each market where the neighborhood is really nice and there are a huge variety of finishes / price points but I still would want to be with the comps of whatever price point I am shooting for. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Taylor DaschBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Temple, TX · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 700 votes
    1y

    Some flippers use the same finishes on each project, however, the best way (in my opinion) is to flip with the comps.  This way you dont overdo it or under do it for any given project. Just copy or use similar finishes to what has sold in the area. There are some exceptions in each market where the neighborhood is really nice and there are a huge variety of finishes / price points but I still would want to be with the comps of whatever price point I am shooting for. 

  • Malcomb StapelPro Member
    Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 669 posts · 488 votes
    1y

    What @Taylor Dasch said. I would add that you can go a long way just having some clean color schemes (two wall colors and one trim color will do almost any house) and a few tasteful accent pieces. 

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I would stick to something that can be replicated on each flip when you are in a market like this price point. If you are in 450K market, check comps to see what is selling for rehabbed properties in the market you will be flipping in. This will give you a base for what you need to put in to get the best value out of your properties when you are checking ARV and getting the sales price you want along with selling quickly.

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Lender · Sanford, NC · Member since 2024 · 348 posts · 116 votes
    1y

    For fix and flips, the best finishes depend on the neighborhood, target buyer, and your budget. Quartz countertops are durable and widely appealing, and neutral cabinet colors like white or light gray work well. Luxury vinyl plank (LVP) is a cost-effective choice for flooring, offering durability and a high-end look. Tailoring finishes to your market can make a big difference in maximizing value.

  • Zachary DealPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 465 posts · 425 votes
    1y

    As others have said, fitting what is popular in your market or what will sell best is always the best strategy. If there is not clear winner, i would go with it was most universal and durable and don't "overspend" in hopes that it will sell quickly. I think clean, nice finishes that aren't too flashy or unique is typically the best choice, especially in the price range you are looking at in Boise.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.