Hello! I am currently looking at an abandoned property that I pass on my way home from work. I have searched tax records. It looks like it has been abandoned for some time (I am pretty sure the owners passed away). I have tried to contact the person paying the taxes on the property, but I have had no luck getting in contact with them.
Is there a way to find out if a property is in Probate?
Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 602 posts · 451 votes
10mo
Drew, there are a few quick ways to figure this out without guessing.
1. Search the county probate court records
Most probate filings are public.
In many counties (including Alabama), you can search online for:
the deceased owner’s name
estate filings
open probate cases
If it’s in probate, you’ll usually see an estate case with a personal representative listed.
2. Call the probate clerk directly
If online records aren’t clear, the clerk can tell you whether an estate has been opened and who the executor is.
This is often the fastest path to the right decision-maker.
3. Check the mailing address on the tax record
If the tax bill is being mailed to a different person or to “c/o [name]”, that’s often the heir or the executor.
Sometimes you’ll see an attorney’s office listed, that’s a big hint it’s probate or tied up in an estate.
4. Look for a recent deed transfer
If the original owners passed and no deed has transferred to heirs, that’s another sign the estate may not have been settled yet.
5. Worst case: send a physical letter
A simple letter to the tax mailing address saying “interested in purchasing the property” can flush out the heir or the representative.
A lot of probate folks won’t answer unknown calls, but they’ll respond to a letter.
Probate deals take patience, but they’re usually worth the effort because most investors avoid them. If you can reach the right person, you may be the only buyer they talk to.
@James Jones Thank you so much for the information!
I went and spoke with the Probate and there aren't any records of the property in probate! But they also couldn't find any deed transfers.
I have hand written mailed the person paying the taxes (to the residence they live at) three times with zero response. I have even went up (knocked/doorbell) to their residence twice with no answer.
My next attempt is possible phone numbers but I was curious how the process works for obtaining a property from a Will.
Does the person inheriting just need to pay taxes or show proof of ownership? I haven't seen anything showing proof of ownership.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9mo
James is all correct on the answers above, and most probate deals are getting a ton of mail and calls to get the property before they put it up on the market. This is a tactic for a lot of investors, so I would try to go above and beyond.
Mail them a special letter, door knock them if someone still lives there, verify the estate address with your title rep to make sure the mail/calls are going to the right person, and add copy to the letter/mailer that something might not be used by anyone else.
The attorney will contact the heirs to the property, and talk with the executor (appointed by the will), or the court will appoint an administrator to handle the estate. The estate is responsible for all the debts the person who passed away had when they passed and also the property tax etc. They'll also have to notify all who could have rights to the equity in the estate too when going through the process with the executor. It is a lengthy process, so make sure you know this could take 6-8 months or could take 24 months if there are other people that have rights to the estate.
I should've mentioned It has been more than 24 months since the owners passed away. I have mailed special green letters (to make it noticeable). I do need to check where the mail of the property is going to!
Is there a way to find out who the attorney was, the executor, the administrator, or who is appointed by the will? Should I speek to a title company or a Real Estate attorney?