How would you structure the waterfall in a money/sweat partnership for a BRRRR ?

How would you structure the waterfall in a money/sweat partnership for a BRRRR ?

Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 5 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for advice on how to structure a partnership deal fairly.

The Context: I have a friend (15+ years) who is an active real estate operator in Philadelphia. I’ve been acting as a Private Money Lender for him on previous deals, and it has gone very well. Now, he has offered for me to come in as an Equity Partner to start building my own portfolio.

The Roles:

  • Me (Money Partner): I fund the down payment, closing costs, and carry costs. ($70k total capital contribution).
  • Him (Operating Partner): He found the deal, holds the loan in his name, manages the contractor/renovation, and handles property management.

We wanted to do a 50/50 partnership and initially looked at flipping the house. However, we both believe in the long-term appreciation of the neighborhood. We are considering holding it for 5-10 years and potentially doing a major value-add (adding a 3rd floor) down the road before selling.

The Numbers:

  • Acquisition + Rehab Loan: ~$150k (Hard Money/Construction Loan).
  • My Cash In: ~$70k.
  • Projected ARV: ~$300k.
  • Projected Rent: ~$2,300/mo.

The Problem: If this were a Flip, the math is easy: We sell in Year 1, pay off the loans, return my equity, and split the remainder 50/50. My capital is recycled immediately.

However, as a BRRRR/Hold, the math gets complicated. Due to DSCR loan limits, we likely won't achieve a "perfect refinance" and pull out all our (well, my) equity, and likely leave 30-40k of my equity trapped.

The Conflict: If we stick to a straight 50/50 ownership split:

  1. Him: $0 invested = Infinite Cash-on-Cash Return.
  2. Me: $30k invested = ~5% Cash-on-Cash Return (based on remaining cash flow after reserves).

This feels imbalanced to me. The way I see it is that in the first phase I risked myself by providing the funds, and he risked himself by securing a loan, and after renting out the place, seasoning it, and refinancing (call it phase 2) we should be at equal footing, so I believe I deserve to have my equity returned first and only then we split the profits 50/50.

The Question: For those who have structured Money/Sweat partnerships like this: How do you compensate the Money Partner for the equity left in the deal?

  • Should I treat the remaining $30k as a private loan to the LLC with interest (paid before the 50/50 split)?
  • Should I ask for a Preferred Return (e.g., 6-8%) on my remaining capital?
  • Should the equity split shift (e.g., 60/40) until I am fully paid out, then revert to a 50/50 ?

I want to be fair to my partner who is doing the work, but I also need my capital to work harder than 5%.

Am I being reasonable here? We could keep it simple and flip the property, but it would be a shame to waste the opportunity because of our lack of creativity in the operating agreement.

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
307 views

Most Popular Reply

Stuart UdisPro Member
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9mo

@Ron S. You’re putting too much emphasis monthly cash flow. With single-family homes, that’s rarely where meaningful returns come from. The real gains are generated at sale, ideally supported by appreciation. Cash flow should be treated as an operational buffer.  It helps you qualify for better financing, maintain reserves, and cover opex/capex. The actual return profile is driven by the hold period which is influenced by the amount of it takes for that appreciation event to materialize. So the real question is: how long are you and your partner prepared to wait, and what happens if the appreciation you’re assuming doesn’t occur?

I hear your point about wanting a preferred return on the capital that’s no longer accessible after the refinance, but on a single-family rental you shouldn’t expect that preferred return to be reliably distributable. It’s far more likely to accrue. And if the property underperforms at sale, is your partner actually going to come out of pocket to make you whole on the accrued preferred return? Probably not. That’s why you need to think about protecting yourself with a larger ownership interest.

I get that this is a small partnership on a small asset, but in most private equity/partnership structures, the party putting up all of the capital typically receives a meaningfully larger ownership share. When ownership splits are evened out, it’s usually because the non-capital-contributing partner is bringing something material to the table — a significant co-investment, a below-market service, or a property with imputed equity (like entitled land) that enables higher leverage and lower cash contributions. 

To take a lower ownership stake but be preferred return heavy on the distribution the deal has to be a short round trip like a for-sale development flip where the gain is realized in a shorter duration. In those cases the preferred return structure can offer downside protection.  Since that's not happening here, you should reevaluate the economics and your position.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Ron S.:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m looking for advice on how to structure a partnership deal fairly.

    The Context: I have a friend (15+ years) who is an active real estate operator in Philadelphia. I’ve been acting as a Private Money Lender for him on previous deals, and it has gone very well. Now, he has offered for me to come in as an Equity Partner to start building my own portfolio.

    The Roles:

    • Me (Money Partner): I fund the down payment, closing costs, and carry costs. ($70k total capital contribution).
    • Him (Operating Partner): He found the deal, holds the loan in his name, manages the contractor/renovation, and handles property management.

    We wanted to do a 50/50 partnership and initially looked at flipping the house. However, we both believe in the long-term appreciation of the neighborhood. We are considering holding it for 5-10 years and potentially doing a major value-add (adding a 3rd floor) down the road before selling.

    The Numbers:

    • Acquisition + Rehab Loan: ~$150k (Hard Money/Construction Loan).
    • My Cash In: ~$70k.
    • Projected ARV: ~$300k.
    • Projected Rent: ~$2,300/mo.

    The Problem: If this were a Flip, the math is easy: We sell in Year 1, pay off the loans, return my equity, and split the remainder 50/50. My capital is recycled immediately.

    However, as a BRRRR/Hold, the math gets complicated. Due to DSCR loan limits, we likely won't achieve a "perfect refinance" and pull out all our (well, my) equity, and likely leave 30-40k of my equity trapped.

    The Conflict: If we stick to a straight 50/50 ownership split:

    1. Him: $0 invested = Infinite Cash-on-Cash Return.
    2. Me: $30k invested = ~5% Cash-on-Cash Return (based on remaining cash flow after reserves).

    This feels imbalanced to me. The way I see it is that in the first phase I risked myself by providing the funds, and he risked himself by securing a loan, and after renting out the place, seasoning it, and refinancing (call it phase 2) we should be at equal footing, so I believe I deserve to have my equity returned first and only then we split the profits 50/50.

    The Question: For those who have structured Money/Sweat partnerships like this: How do you compensate the Money Partner for the equity left in the deal?

    • Should I treat the remaining $30k as a private loan to the LLC with interest (paid before the 50/50 split)?
    • Should I ask for a Preferred Return (e.g., 6-8%) on my remaining capital?
    • Should the equity split shift (e.g., 60/40) until I am fully paid out, then revert to a 50/50 ?

    I want to be fair to my partner who is doing the work, but I also need my capital to work harder than 5%.

    Thanks in advance!

    Hey @Ron S., welcome to the BP Forum! What's the projected total net cash flow over say a 5 year investment horizon? $100k? $200k?

    • Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 5 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Ron S.:

      Hi everyone,

      I’m looking for advice on how to structure a partnership deal fairly.

      The Context: I have a friend (15+ years) who is an active real estate operator in Philadelphia. I’ve been acting as a Private Money Lender for him on previous deals, and it has gone very well. Now, he has offered for me to come in as an Equity Partner to start building my own portfolio.

      The Roles:

      • Me (Money Partner): I fund the down payment, closing costs, and carry costs. ($70k total capital contribution).
      • Him (Operating Partner): He found the deal, holds the loan in his name, manages the contractor/renovation, and handles property management.

      We wanted to do a 50/50 partnership and initially looked at flipping the house. However, we both believe in the long-term appreciation of the neighborhood. We are considering holding it for 5-10 years and potentially doing a major value-add (adding a 3rd floor) down the road before selling.

      The Numbers:

      • Acquisition + Rehab Loan: ~$150k (Hard Money/Construction Loan).
      • My Cash In: ~$70k.
      • Projected ARV: ~$300k.
      • Projected Rent: ~$2,300/mo.

      The Problem: If this were a Flip, the math is easy: We sell in Year 1, pay off the loans, return my equity, and split the remainder 50/50. My capital is recycled immediately.

      However, as a BRRRR/Hold, the math gets complicated. Due to DSCR loan limits, we likely won't achieve a "perfect refinance" and pull out all our (well, my) equity, and likely leave 30-40k of my equity trapped.

      The Conflict: If we stick to a straight 50/50 ownership split:

      1. Him: $0 invested = Infinite Cash-on-Cash Return.
      2. Me: $30k invested = ~5% Cash-on-Cash Return (based on remaining cash flow after reserves).

      This feels imbalanced to me. The way I see it is that in the first phase I risked myself by providing the funds, and he risked himself by securing a loan, and after renting out the place, seasoning it, and refinancing (call it phase 2) we should be at equal footing, so I believe I deserve to have my equity returned first and only then we split the profits 50/50.

      The Question: For those who have structured Money/Sweat partnerships like this: How do you compensate the Money Partner for the equity left in the deal?

      • Should I treat the remaining $30k as a private loan to the LLC with interest (paid before the 50/50 split)?
      • Should I ask for a Preferred Return (e.g., 6-8%) on my remaining capital?
      • Should the equity split shift (e.g., 60/40) until I am fully paid out, then revert to a 50/50 ?

      I want to be fair to my partner who is doing the work, but I also need my capital to work harder than 5%.

      Thanks in advance!

      Hey @Ron S., welcome to the BP Forum! What's the projected total net cash flow over say a 5 year investment horizon? $100k? $200k?

      Hi Jaycee, thanks for replying.

      I don't have my friend for the exact numbers at the moment, and it's TBD based on interest rates and appraisal, but roughly speaking:

      LTV Limit (75%): $300k Value × 75% = $225,000
      DSCR Limit (1.20):
      Net Operating Income (NOI) = $1,610 (2300 - 30%. No property management)

      Max Allowed Payment = $1,610 / 1.20 = $1,341/mo

      Max Loan Amount (@ 7% Rate. TBD): A $1,341 monthly payment roughly equals a loan of $200,000.

      After deducting refinancing costs we'd return $190k is my conservative estimate, after putting in $220k if all goes well and we don't go over budget, meaning we'd have $30k trapped in it.

      So we'd cash flow $270 a month net (1610-1341), so nowhere near $100k-200k. however we'd build $70-80k in equity.

      He believes the house might be worth more, and some comps support that, maybe $320k, but I am being conservative.

      I believe it's worth considering to buy-and-hold for the appreciation and selling it down the road. The cash-on-cash return by itself is not appealing assuming a 50/50 split before my equity is returned.

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Ron S.:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Ron S.:

      Hi everyone,

      I’m looking for advice on how to structure a partnership deal fairly.

      The Context: I have a friend (15+ years) who is an active real estate operator in Philadelphia. I’ve been acting as a Private Money Lender for him on previous deals, and it has gone very well. Now, he has offered for me to come in as an Equity Partner to start building my own portfolio.

      The Roles:

      • Me (Money Partner): I fund the down payment, closing costs, and carry costs. ($70k total capital contribution).
      • Him (Operating Partner): He found the deal, holds the loan in his name, manages the contractor/renovation, and handles property management.

      We wanted to do a 50/50 partnership and initially looked at flipping the house. However, we both believe in the long-term appreciation of the neighborhood. We are considering holding it for 5-10 years and potentially doing a major value-add (adding a 3rd floor) down the road before selling.

      The Numbers:

      • Acquisition + Rehab Loan: ~$150k (Hard Money/Construction Loan).
      • My Cash In: ~$70k.
      • Projected ARV: ~$300k.
      • Projected Rent: ~$2,300/mo.

      The Problem: If this were a Flip, the math is easy: We sell in Year 1, pay off the loans, return my equity, and split the remainder 50/50. My capital is recycled immediately.

      However, as a BRRRR/Hold, the math gets complicated. Due to DSCR loan limits, we likely won't achieve a "perfect refinance" and pull out all our (well, my) equity, and likely leave 30-40k of my equity trapped.

      The Conflict: If we stick to a straight 50/50 ownership split:

      1. Him: $0 invested = Infinite Cash-on-Cash Return.
      2. Me: $30k invested = ~5% Cash-on-Cash Return (based on remaining cash flow after reserves).

      This feels imbalanced to me. The way I see it is that in the first phase I risked myself by providing the funds, and he risked himself by securing a loan, and after renting out the place, seasoning it, and refinancing (call it phase 2) we should be at equal footing, so I believe I deserve to have my equity returned first and only then we split the profits 50/50.

      The Question: For those who have structured Money/Sweat partnerships like this: How do you compensate the Money Partner for the equity left in the deal?

      • Should I treat the remaining $30k as a private loan to the LLC with interest (paid before the 50/50 split)?
      • Should I ask for a Preferred Return (e.g., 6-8%) on my remaining capital?
      • Should the equity split shift (e.g., 60/40) until I am fully paid out, then revert to a 50/50 ?

      I want to be fair to my partner who is doing the work, but I also need my capital to work harder than 5%.

      Thanks in advance!

      Hey @Ron S., welcome to the BP Forum! What's the projected total net cash flow over say a 5 year investment horizon? $100k? $200k?

      Hi Jaycee, thanks for replying.

      I don't have my friend for the exact numbers at the moment, and it's TBD based on interest rates and appraisal, but roughly speaking:

      LTV Limit (75%): $300k Value × 75% = $225,000
      DSCR Limit (1.20):
      Net Operating Income (NOI) = $1,610 (2300 - 30%. No property management)

      Max Allowed Payment = $1,610 / 1.20 = $1,341/mo

      Max Loan Amount (@ 7% Rate. TBD): A $1,341 monthly payment roughly equals a loan of $200,000.

      After deducting refinancing costs we'd return $190k is my conservative estimate, after putting in $220k if all goes well and we don't go over budget, meaning we'd have $30k trapped in it.

      So we'd cash flow $270 a month net (1610-1341), so nowhere near $100k-200k. however we'd build $70-80k in equity.

      He believes the house might be worth more, and some comps support that, maybe $320k, but I am being conservative.

      I believe it's worth considering to buy-and-hold for the appreciation and selling it down the road. The cash-on-cash return by itself is not appealing assuming a 50/50 split before my equity is returned.

      @Ron S. Any chance that the property could appreciate to at least $350k within 5 years?

    • Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 5 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Ron S.:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Ron S.:

      Hi everyone,

      I’m looking for advice on how to structure a partnership deal fairly.

      The Context: I have a friend (15+ years) who is an active real estate operator in Philadelphia. I’ve been acting as a Private Money Lender for him on previous deals, and it has gone very well. Now, he has offered for me to come in as an Equity Partner to start building my own portfolio.

      The Roles:

      • Me (Money Partner): I fund the down payment, closing costs, and carry costs. ($70k total capital contribution).
      • Him (Operating Partner): He found the deal, holds the loan in his name, manages the contractor/renovation, and handles property management.

      We wanted to do a 50/50 partnership and initially looked at flipping the house. However, we both believe in the long-term appreciation of the neighborhood. We are considering holding it for 5-10 years and potentially doing a major value-add (adding a 3rd floor) down the road before selling.

      The Numbers:

      • Acquisition + Rehab Loan: ~$150k (Hard Money/Construction Loan).
      • My Cash In: ~$70k.
      • Projected ARV: ~$300k.
      • Projected Rent: ~$2,300/mo.

      The Problem: If this were a Flip, the math is easy: We sell in Year 1, pay off the loans, return my equity, and split the remainder 50/50. My capital is recycled immediately.

      However, as a BRRRR/Hold, the math gets complicated. Due to DSCR loan limits, we likely won't achieve a "perfect refinance" and pull out all our (well, my) equity, and likely leave 30-40k of my equity trapped.

      The Conflict: If we stick to a straight 50/50 ownership split:

      1. Him: $0 invested = Infinite Cash-on-Cash Return.
      2. Me: $30k invested = ~5% Cash-on-Cash Return (based on remaining cash flow after reserves).

      This feels imbalanced to me. The way I see it is that in the first phase I risked myself by providing the funds, and he risked himself by securing a loan, and after renting out the place, seasoning it, and refinancing (call it phase 2) we should be at equal footing, so I believe I deserve to have my equity returned first and only then we split the profits 50/50.

      The Question: For those who have structured Money/Sweat partnerships like this: How do you compensate the Money Partner for the equity left in the deal?

      • Should I treat the remaining $30k as a private loan to the LLC with interest (paid before the 50/50 split)?
      • Should I ask for a Preferred Return (e.g., 6-8%) on my remaining capital?
      • Should the equity split shift (e.g., 60/40) until I am fully paid out, then revert to a 50/50 ?

      I want to be fair to my partner who is doing the work, but I also need my capital to work harder than 5%.

      Thanks in advance!

      Hey @Ron S., welcome to the BP Forum! What's the projected total net cash flow over say a 5 year investment horizon? $100k? $200k?

      Hi Jaycee, thanks for replying.

      I don't have my friend for the exact numbers at the moment, and it's TBD based on interest rates and appraisal, but roughly speaking:

      LTV Limit (75%): $300k Value × 75% = $225,000
      DSCR Limit (1.20):
      Net Operating Income (NOI) = $1,610 (2300 - 30%. No property management)

      Max Allowed Payment = $1,610 / 1.20 = $1,341/mo

      Max Loan Amount (@ 7% Rate. TBD): A $1,341 monthly payment roughly equals a loan of $200,000.

      After deducting refinancing costs we'd return $190k is my conservative estimate, after putting in $220k if all goes well and we don't go over budget, meaning we'd have $30k trapped in it.

      So we'd cash flow $270 a month net (1610-1341), so nowhere near $100k-200k. however we'd build $70-80k in equity.

      He believes the house might be worth more, and some comps support that, maybe $320k, but I am being conservative.

      I believe it's worth considering to buy-and-hold for the appreciation and selling it down the road. The cash-on-cash return by itself is not appealing assuming a 50/50 split before my equity is returned.

      @Ron S. Any chance that the property could appreciate to at least $350k within 5 years?

      Definitely. I'm very confident that it'll reach $350k in a few years without any additional value-add and with our rental-grade renovation. There are comps in that price range to support that.

      For context, a brand new townhouse a 10 doors down and around the corner sold 2 months ago for 1.2 million at 3300 sqft, but it's brand new construction with a garage and is a nicer street (a street perpendicular to ours, i.e. a T shape)

      Ours is a 900 sqft townhouse, for our exit strategy I propose we perform a larger renovation in 5+ years and flip it. His initial proposal for the flip was that we add a third floor bringing it to ~1350 sqft (but the building is over 100 years old and comes with its quirks. Obviously a new construction comes at a premium).

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Ron S.:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Ron S.:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Ron S.:

      Hi everyone,

      I’m looking for advice on how to structure a partnership deal fairly.

      The Context: I have a friend (15+ years) who is an active real estate operator in Philadelphia. I’ve been acting as a Private Money Lender for him on previous deals, and it has gone very well. Now, he has offered for me to come in as an Equity Partner to start building my own portfolio.

      The Roles:

      • Me (Money Partner): I fund the down payment, closing costs, and carry costs. ($70k total capital contribution).
      • Him (Operating Partner): He found the deal, holds the loan in his name, manages the contractor/renovation, and handles property management.

      We wanted to do a 50/50 partnership and initially looked at flipping the house. However, we both believe in the long-term appreciation of the neighborhood. We are considering holding it for 5-10 years and potentially doing a major value-add (adding a 3rd floor) down the road before selling.

      The Numbers:

      • Acquisition + Rehab Loan: ~$150k (Hard Money/Construction Loan).
      • My Cash In: ~$70k.
      • Projected ARV: ~$300k.
      • Projected Rent: ~$2,300/mo.

      The Problem: If this were a Flip, the math is easy: We sell in Year 1, pay off the loans, return my equity, and split the remainder 50/50. My capital is recycled immediately.

      However, as a BRRRR/Hold, the math gets complicated. Due to DSCR loan limits, we likely won't achieve a "perfect refinance" and pull out all our (well, my) equity, and likely leave 30-40k of my equity trapped.

      The Conflict: If we stick to a straight 50/50 ownership split:

      1. Him: $0 invested = Infinite Cash-on-Cash Return.
      2. Me: $30k invested = ~5% Cash-on-Cash Return (based on remaining cash flow after reserves).

      This feels imbalanced to me. The way I see it is that in the first phase I risked myself by providing the funds, and he risked himself by securing a loan, and after renting out the place, seasoning it, and refinancing (call it phase 2) we should be at equal footing, so I believe I deserve to have my equity returned first and only then we split the profits 50/50.

      The Question: For those who have structured Money/Sweat partnerships like this: How do you compensate the Money Partner for the equity left in the deal?

      • Should I treat the remaining $30k as a private loan to the LLC with interest (paid before the 50/50 split)?
      • Should I ask for a Preferred Return (e.g., 6-8%) on my remaining capital?
      • Should the equity split shift (e.g., 60/40) until I am fully paid out, then revert to a 50/50 ?

      I want to be fair to my partner who is doing the work, but I also need my capital to work harder than 5%.

      Thanks in advance!

      Hey @Ron S., welcome to the BP Forum! What's the projected total net cash flow over say a 5 year investment horizon? $100k? $200k?

      Hi Jaycee, thanks for replying.

      I don't have my friend for the exact numbers at the moment, and it's TBD based on interest rates and appraisal, but roughly speaking:

      LTV Limit (75%): $300k Value × 75% = $225,000
      DSCR Limit (1.20):
      Net Operating Income (NOI) = $1,610 (2300 - 30%. No property management)

      Max Allowed Payment = $1,610 / 1.20 = $1,341/mo

      Max Loan Amount (@ 7% Rate. TBD): A $1,341 monthly payment roughly equals a loan of $200,000.

      After deducting refinancing costs we'd return $190k is my conservative estimate, after putting in $220k if all goes well and we don't go over budget, meaning we'd have $30k trapped in it.

      So we'd cash flow $270 a month net (1610-1341), so nowhere near $100k-200k. however we'd build $70-80k in equity.

      He believes the house might be worth more, and some comps support that, maybe $320k, but I am being conservative.

      I believe it's worth considering to buy-and-hold for the appreciation and selling it down the road. The cash-on-cash return by itself is not appealing assuming a 50/50 split before my equity is returned.

      @Ron S. Any chance that the property could appreciate to at least $350k within 5 years?

      Definitely. I'm very confident that it'll reach $350k in a few years without any additional value-add and with our rental-grade renovation. There are comps in that price range to support that.

      For context, a brand new townhouse a 10 doors down and around the corner sold 2 months ago for 1.2 million at 3300 sqft, but it's brand new construction with a garage and is a nicer street (a street perpendicular to ours, i.e. a T shape)

      Ours is a 900 sqft townhouse, for our exit strategy I propose we perform a larger renovation in 5+ years and flip it. His initial proposal for the flip was that we add a third floor bringing it to ~1350 sqft (but the building is over 100 years old and comes with its quirks. Obviously a new construction comes at a premium).

       @Ron S. I understand your concern about the CoC return, but do you ever look at any other return metric for your deals? Perhaps an IRR or Equity Multiple (EMx)?

      And instead of doing the distributions at 50/50 after you get your money back, do you think your partner would accept something more 40/60 of 30/70 where you get more of the cash flow? 

  • Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    9mo

    Given the low monthly return that makes it virtually impossible to return my equity without selling, I'd have to accept my equity being trapped in the deal until we sell sooner or later.

    As stated earlier, the initial plan was to flip which would significantly simplify things, but we want to hold it if possible, we'd just have to structure it fairly.

    Perhaps a preferred return? E.g. 8% on my equity?

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Ron S.:

      Given the low monthly return that makes it virtually impossible to return my equity without selling, I'd have to accept my equity being trapped in the deal until we sell sooner or later.

      As stated earlier, the initial plan was to flip which would significantly simplify things, but we want to hold it if possible, we'd just have to structure it fairly.

      Perhaps a preferred return? E.g. 8% on my equity?

      @Ron S. Based on the numbers I've run, I'm seeing you could get all of your money out (+$5k) if you do a HML cash out refi rather than a bank refi.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9mo

    if it's a flip, take the equity. If it's a rental, just give the loan with interest and when you refinances take the payout.

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 5 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:

      if it's a flip, take the equity. If it's a rental, just give the loan with interest and when you refinances take the payout.

      Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Maybe I misunderstood you? This time, unlike previous deals, I am not interested in lending money, but rather investing and receiving an equity stake. The issue is that a flip will return enough to cover the loan, return my invested equity, and leave us each with a profit. A rental sees a cheaper renovation which when refinanced gives us enough to cover the loan but it's questionable if it'll have enough to cover my equity, due to either ARV or DSCR.


      In the scenario where I have equity left in the deal, we talked it out and think it's fair that I either get a preferred return (8%) or he buys part of my equity out, e.g. if there's 30k in it he pays me 15k so we're even, or anything in between. e.g. if there's 30k and he buys me out for 12k it leaves me with 18k invested (6k more than him) so I am owed a preferred return on those 6k.

      Those are small numbers, 6k here, 10k there, but we think it's important to flesh out details out no matter how small, in case things don't go as planned (what if there is 50k of equity left in?).

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Ron S.:
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:

      if it's a flip, take the equity. If it's a rental, just give the loan with interest and when you refinances take the payout.

      Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Maybe I misunderstood you? This time, unlike previous deals, I am not interested in lending money, but rather investing and receiving an equity stake. The issue is that a flip will return enough to cover the loan, return my invested equity, and leave us each with a profit. A rental sees a cheaper renovation which when refinanced gives us enough to cover the loan but it's questionable if it'll have enough to cover my equity, due to either ARV or DSCR.


      In the scenario where I have equity left in the deal, we talked it out and think it's fair that I either get a preferred return (8%) or he buys part of my equity out, e.g. if there's 30k in it he pays me 15k so we're even, or anything in between. e.g. if there's 30k and he buys me out for 12k it leaves me with 18k invested (6k more than him) so I am owed a preferred return on those 6k.

      Those are small numbers, 6k here, 10k there, but we think it's important to flesh out details out no matter how small, in case things don't go as planned (what if there is 50k of equity left in?).


       My point being if you are going to be the capital provider and them the manager but you do not get your full equity out of the deal, its a disaster waiting to happen between you and your partner. Sounds great on paper but when costly repairs occur or you think they are not doing enough because they have no money in the deal it will lead to a riff. 

      7e investments53 Reviews
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    @Ron S. You’re putting too much emphasis monthly cash flow. With single-family homes, that’s rarely where meaningful returns come from. The real gains are generated at sale, ideally supported by appreciation. Cash flow should be treated as an operational buffer.  It helps you qualify for better financing, maintain reserves, and cover opex/capex. The actual return profile is driven by the hold period which is influenced by the amount of it takes for that appreciation event to materialize. So the real question is: how long are you and your partner prepared to wait, and what happens if the appreciation you’re assuming doesn’t occur?

    I hear your point about wanting a preferred return on the capital that’s no longer accessible after the refinance, but on a single-family rental you shouldn’t expect that preferred return to be reliably distributable. It’s far more likely to accrue. And if the property underperforms at sale, is your partner actually going to come out of pocket to make you whole on the accrued preferred return? Probably not. That’s why you need to think about protecting yourself with a larger ownership interest.

    I get that this is a small partnership on a small asset, but in most private equity/partnership structures, the party putting up all of the capital typically receives a meaningfully larger ownership share. When ownership splits are evened out, it’s usually because the non-capital-contributing partner is bringing something material to the table — a significant co-investment, a below-market service, or a property with imputed equity (like entitled land) that enables higher leverage and lower cash contributions. 

    To take a lower ownership stake but be preferred return heavy on the distribution the deal has to be a short round trip like a for-sale development flip where the gain is realized in a shorter duration. In those cases the preferred return structure can offer downside protection.  Since that's not happening here, you should reevaluate the economics and your position.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9mo

    @Ron S.

    maybe i am missing something... but why not just buy your own deals?

    if it's not obvious that this is advantageous for both parties... then don't do it.

  • Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    9mo

    Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been lurking on these forums for a while and read plenty of BiggerPockets books but I could not imagine this community to be so helpful. I can only hope to one day be in a position to contribute from my knowledge like you all do for us beginners!

    @Nicholas L.

    I would love to buy my own deals, and there are a few reasons why I am dissatisfied with partnering up. The reasons why I am not doing my own deals are:

    1. I don't live close to a market where I want to invest in. I live in Manhattan. I don't know the streets or know the nuances of other cities.

    2. I don't have the right connections.

    3. I have a full-time job and while I am passionate about real estate I am not interested in quitting just yet, and partnering up helps me choose the level of involvement and hand-holding.

    4. Partnering allows someone more experienced to manage the asset and deal, while I get to take a back seat and still make decisions and learn as we go, with what I consider to be lower risk.

    All of these can be solved though.

    @Chris Seveney

    Thanks Chris. I agree with your feedback. I am leaning towards proposing the original deal of flipping the property instead. He gets his cut for putting the sweat in and finding the deal. I don't think this is well-structured for a long-term investment so it's better to take the short-term profit and move on, or as they say "no deal is better than a bad deal" and just not do it.

    @Stuart Udis

    Thank you Stuart. I agree cash flow isn't king, and I see that appreciation is where the majority of profit will come from. I agree about your point regarding accrual and this is more likely how I envision it, as there isn't any more juice to squeeze unless it comes out of pocket.

    For the record, his equity is a reward for managing the construction, constructing at-cost, and managing the property using his property management team instead of charging a fee which he would have charged me had I owned the property by myself. This would fit your "below-market service".

    Maybe a topic for another discussion but I have not seen preferred return on short-term deals. I always saw them on 5+ year deals with syndications.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    I think that it really all depends on how the property is operated and managed. Cash flow should go into a joint account that is untouched unless used for the property. I would make it clear and possibly in writing (encouraged) that you cannot commingle funds or use them for person purposes - even if you share them 50/50. 

    The equity can be split 50/50 - obviously after a recap of your initial 70k investment. In simple math terms - if the property grows to 400k and you sell it, you get your 70k back and the remaining 100k minus fees etc will be split 50/50

    This I believe is only fair if you put up the 70k capital and the other partner puts in sweat equity through management. Decisions are still made together but ultimately they deal with Licensing, showings for rentals, drafting leases, calling contractors to fix items, etc. You guys still agree on tenants and applications, what contractors to use etc. 

    Hope this helps

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    From my experience, the biggest mistake is not defining what happens during the refinance. Does the money partner get paid back first, or do you both take cash out proportionally? Also consider who handles property management long-term, that's ongoing work that should get compensated. What's your take on the refi piece?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    You're hitting on a fundamental issue with partnership structures, and Stuart's right that single-family BRRRR math is different from flips. Your 50/50 split doesn't match the risk/capital structure. Here's the reality: you're putting 0k at risk, your partner is putting in sweat and holding a loan in his name. That's not equal.

    The way I'd structure this is simple: you get a preferred return on your capital until it's returned to you, then you flip to 50/50 on cash flow and equity upside. So maybe 70% of refinance proceeds go back to you first, then 50/50 after that. On the ,300/mo, maybe you get 75% of cash flow after reserves for the first 2-3 years, then 50/50 thereafter. This rewards him for the work and keeps him motivated, but it protects your capital.

    The other move is to just accept 50/50 but ask for a larger ownership stake -- say 55/45 or 60/40 -- which changes the math on any sale. Just make sure this is all documented in a partnership agreement before you close. Have you two discussed what happens if the 00k ARV doesn't materialize or if you need to exit early?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Stuart nailed it. You're putting equity at risk and getting trapped in the property for 5-10 years while your partner's equity goes untouched. That's not 50/50, that's you funding his free ride into a hold property.

    The way I'd structure this: Straight 50/50 is only fair if he's reinvesting his time into property management and capex reserves that you two fund equally going forward. But that's not what's happening here. He's getting infinite return on his /usr/bin/bash investment while you're staring at 0k trapped equity and a 5% annual return that doesn't exist in year 1 anyway.

    Here's the deal: Take a 65/35 split in your favor until your equity is fully returned to you (not a preferred return that "accrues" -- actually returned). Once you've gotten your 0k out, drop to 50/50. Or structure it so you're a silent partner who gets preferred distributions on any equity pulls or sales proceeds until you're made whole. The refinance is phase 2, and phase 2 is where the fairness starts.

    Your partner should not be offended by this. If he is, he's telling you he's comfortable with you subsidizing his deal. That's worth knowing now instead of Year 3 when you both need to refinance and he won't budge on the structure.

    Has your partner successfully done this deal type before, or is this his first BRRRR hold?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.