Best lead generation for fix and flip

Most Popular Reply

Frank PyleBusiness Member
Specialist · USA · Member since 2024 · 279 posts · 130 votes
8mo

This is a really good question and it deserves more attention because most flippers are all fishing in the same pond.  Where I see the best undervalued deals come from is solving a specific problem fast, not blasting out more marketing. Three angles that are a little more outside the box are building relationships with probate and eviction attorneys and offering a simple one page offer format they can hand to clients, calling code enforcement lists and making an offer that includes taking over the headache timelines, and targeting small local contractors and trades who keep walking properties that are clearly distressed and can tip you off before they ever hit the market. The actionable move is pick one of those lanes and do 20 direct touches a week for 8 weeks so you actually become known in that circle.

Frank Pyle at ExP Realty
NEXA Lending- Investors Edge Concierge
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 607 posts · 768 votes
    8mo

    Investor friendly agents, Driving for dollars and wholesalers

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 99 posts · 30 votes
    8mo

    @Whitney McNairfor the highest ROI, I'd recommend do direct-to-seller marketing, in particular inbound channels such as SEO, PPC and PPL.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Solid, well connected agent. And the ability to move quickly when a deal presents itself. 

  • Investor · Willis, TX · Member since 2014 · 245 posts · 124 votes
    8mo

    Many years ago I decided to go ALL IN on building relationships in the local community where I wanted to do deals. 

    That meant I had to narrow my focus of which types of deals I wanted: Single-story, 3 bed min and 1000 sf - 1600 sf. Built between 1980-2000 that needed work. 

    So then I just went to town talking and staying in front of anyone willing to listen to me. Sent them emails, text messages made offers and essentially focused on people who would come into contact with sellers: agents, brokers, financial consultants, ministers, friends, family, small business owners, even a funeral home owner. I wanted people to know me as a closer. So I only made offers I knew without a doubt that I could close and not get cold-feet on at the last minute. 

    It's worked great and has compounded over the years for sure. 

    Best of luck with it! 

    P.S. I think ALL marketing works it's just a function of sticking to it for an extended period of time. At least 6 months. The issue I see most often is people try a new marketing method for 1-3 months and then write it off because it yielded limited results. You need more time to let it do it's thing and you have to be disciplined about follow up. 

  • Lender · Grasonville, MD · Member since 2025 · 70 posts · 16 votes
    8mo

    Hi Whitney,

    I would recommend joining local REI groups in your area. For example, one of the REI groups I am in has a consistent email newsletter with property listings and there are many wholesalers in the group that would be great connects with looking for off market properties.

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Whitney McNair:

    What are your best lead generation techniques for fix and flip? 


     Ohh... All depends on market. Some Radio kills it, and some PPC is amazing. I think you need to test 5 different things for your market to see what happens. Example, mailers, PPC, door knocking, cold calling, and PPL... Some examples for you. 

    The McKernan Group4.954 Reviews
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2026 · 52 posts · 9 votes
    8mo

    For me, it’s mostly been about actually talking to sellers, not just hunting deals online.

    Once you get someone on the phone and understand their situation, it’s easier to see if there’s a real opportunity there. A lot of sellers just want a simple, clean process.

    Nothing fancy just conversations, follow-ups, and being consistent. 

  • Frank PyleBusiness Member
    Specialist · USA · Member since 2024 · 279 posts · 130 votes
    8mo

    This is a really good question and it deserves more attention because most flippers are all fishing in the same pond.  Where I see the best undervalued deals come from is solving a specific problem fast, not blasting out more marketing. Three angles that are a little more outside the box are building relationships with probate and eviction attorneys and offering a simple one page offer format they can hand to clients, calling code enforcement lists and making an offer that includes taking over the headache timelines, and targeting small local contractors and trades who keep walking properties that are clearly distressed and can tip you off before they ever hit the market. The actionable move is pick one of those lanes and do 20 direct touches a week for 8 weeks so you actually become known in that circle.

    Frank Pyle at ExP Realty
    NEXA Lending- Investors Edge Concierge
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · VA · Member since 2008 · 420 posts · 175 votes
    8mo

    Go on market, and do some online lead gen. Let me know if you need any further help. Most deals are out there, just gotta go fish for them.

    • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2026 · 52 posts · 9 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Edgar U.:

      Go on market, and do some online lead gen. Let me know if you need any further help. Most deals are out there, just gotta go fish for them.


       Hi Edgar,

      is there a particular way to reach out to those leads 

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    8mo

    @Whitney McNair Two main things for us.

    1. I completely agree with @Juan Cristales about building relationships and defining your buy box. 3-5 wholesalers that understand your buy box and call you first because they know you will close will go a long way. 

    2. We go all in on offers on the MLS. Underwrite as many deals as possible and don't fall in love with any one house. Eventually, you'll find someone who's willing to come down to your number. Offers sent is the most important metric we track for acquisition... everything else typically falls into place.

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Realtor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2020 · 258 posts · 139 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Whitney McNair:

    What are your best lead generation techniques for fix and flip? 


     Whitney! I hope you are doing well! Haven't seen or chatted with you in a while! 

    I feel like the best lead generation techniques for fix and flip can come from a lot of internal marketing that we can do...

    Whether connecting with as many wholesalers as possible to get active sales inflow, or looking to connect with other Realtors to display that you are actively buying deals. Outside of that marketing actives like door to door, direct marketing, social media, cold calling, etc. can all help with driving in some more leads for you to have more options to offer on. Definitely a numbers game on most.

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    I focus on hyper-specific lists: absentee owners, pre-foreclosures, or properties with code issues, so I’m not wasting time on generic leads. 

    And honestly, leveraging your network is key. Title agents, contractors, attorneys, and other investors often tip me off to off-market or distressed properties before anyone else sees them. Staying active in those circles keeps my pipeline full without having to chase ads.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Driving for dollars still works if you do it right, but most people skip the crucial part. It's not just about finding distressed properties, it's about consistent follow-up. I see investors collect 100+ addresses then send one postcard and give up. The magic happens in touches 3-7 when sellers finally get serious about moving. What's your follow-up game look like after you find those properties?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.