Contractor · Hoosick Falls, NY · Member since 2023 · 27 posts · 5 votes
1mo
Spot on, Stevan. The true cost of a 3-week draw delay isn't just the ticking holding cost—it completely breaks installation sequencing.
Production flow relies entirely on tight trade transitions. The second a funding freeze forces a job site to go cold, those specialized sub-contractors have to re-allocate their calendar blocks to other active properties to protect their own cash flow. Re-mobilizing that logistics pipeline once the lender finally wakes up can easily set a project back 4 to 6 weeks, completely destroying timeline predictability.
We prevent this bottleneck on our projects by handling 100% of the material quantity take-offs upfront and maintaining a strong capital reserve so production continues moving forward smoothly, regardless of a lender's back-office timeline. If a lender can't clear a draw inspection within 48 to 72 hours, their low interest rate is completely irrelevant.
Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
1mo
Then you need to find a better lender rather than worrying about every 1/8% difference in the rate.
We get our draws within 24 hours of request - no inspection or validation needed. No questions asked.
Our lender also knows we don't shop our notes - if I send them a contract, we close with them - I don't even ask the rate, because I trust they will give me the best rate they can.
Then you need to find a better lender rather than worrying about every 1/8% difference in the rate.
We get our draws within 24 hours of request - no inspection or validation needed. No questions asked.
Our lender also knows we don't shop our notes - if I send them a contract, we close with them - I don't even ask the rate, because I trust they will give me the best rate they can.
You hit on a critical variable, Michael, but the exact trade-off between speed and cost heavily dictates your underlying asset strategy.
If you are running high-velocity, short-term house flips, timeline predictability and 24-hour draw liquidity are absolutely worth paying a premium for. A 3-week lender bottleneck destroys production flow and burns more capital in holding costs than a fraction of a percent on short-term debt.
However, if an operator is executing a long-term buy-and-hold or a permanent BRRRR transition, that permanent interest rate directly dictates their operating margins and monthly cash flow for the next 30 years. For long-term portfolios, fighting for every 1/8% compression on the rate is vital. It really comes down to matching your debt structure precisely to your exit timeline.
Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 593 posts · 445 votes
1mo
Nailed it, draw speed matters more than rate and nobody asks about it until they've been burned. A slightly higher rate with fast reliable draws beats cheap money that strands your crew for three weeks.
The part that compounds the pain: losing the crew. It's not just the holding costs ticking, it's that a good contractor won't sit idle waiting on your lender, he takes another job, and now you're at the back of his line even after the draw clears. That gap costs way more than the interest.
Two things I ask now before signing: how fast do they inspect and fund after I request a draw, and do they do inspections in person or by photo/video. Photo draws are dramatically faster, waiting on an inspector to physically show up is where the weeks disappear. I also try to structure fewer, larger draws when the lender allows it, every draw is another inspection and another delay, so cutting the number of them cuts the risk.
Longest I've waited was about two and a half weeks on a first draw with a new lender. Never used them again. Now the draw process is a bigger question in my vetting than the rate, exactly like you said.