Rehabbers: How Do You Keep Your Large Lawn Watered?

6 Replies

Hi everyone. I have a large backyard on a rehab we're finishing up that needs constant watering. I set up an above ground sprinkler system but due to only having one outside faucet I can only cover about half the lawn. So we were thinking about adding an additional exterior faucet and another timer and sprinkler but my business partner doesn't want to spend the money. My thinking is that I would rather do that than travel almost a half an hour to the place practically everyday just to water the grass. Which in and of itself can take an hour. Your thoughts?

Adding a second faucet is... what's the word... oh yeah... LUDICROUS!  :)  Lowe's sells a 2-outlet timer for $35.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_163729-74985-27133_0__?pro... There is also a 4 outlet one for $50.  

Yep, a timer system is what you need. I have one that is Orbit brand and it is pretty foolproof. I bet you could just get the kind that you hook two hoses/sprinklers up to and be all set. 

@Erik Hitzelberger  has a good answer. 

Or you can put a Y-splitter at the faucet and then have two separate timers on each outlet from the Y. 

Whatever you do, be sure that the water pressure at the timer outlet is sufficient to operate the above-ground sprinklers; timers are good at reducing pressure too, and if there is insufficient pressure at the sprinkler the sprinkler won't oscillate.  And make sure each timer operates without overlap with any other timer so that you get maximum water pressure.

Most importantly, don't listen to your partner and drive out there all the time to water grass.  That is absurd.

Originally posted by @Mike Grayford:

Most importantly, don't listen to your partner and drive out there all the time to water grass.  That is absurd.

If I were you, I would not object to your partner making that drive every day, he could listen to the BP podcasts and learn while doing it. ;-)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here