Homeowner · Gary, IN · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 6 votes
Hello everyone,
I was just curious...I've been reading a few rehab descriptions lately and I see granite countertops mentioned quite a bit--so (currently having little knowledge of such things) I'm going to assume granite countertops are a very good (or at least desirable) thing.
I'm also going to assume that the countertops in our apartment are definitely NOT granite (even though they kind of look like they are) cause--no way.
Are granite countertops more durable?
Are they usually found in more upscale properties?
Do they come all in one piece--the counters we have look like wood with something glued on top of it.
Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 15 votes
12y
This is a picture of my latest property that I finished earlier this year. The cabinetry is American Woodmark purchased from HD. The granite was purchased from Chirco Granite here in Tucson. As far as the style granite, I chose the cheapest granite that went with the color scheme I was designing. Laminated wood flooring and mid to high end stainless steel appliances. It took four days to rent and the tenant is long term. The rent is what I asked for and the tenant did not try to talk me down and she is very happy with the property. Of course I live in Tucson and know the local market well. What works here may not work in other locations around the nation.
For $400-$600 more I would totally pay the difference but it would not usually get you more rent. It "might rent" fast but that only adds value if renting fast means no lost days. For me faster just means "how many less days I have to worry about it".
In my area there is a definite ceiling on rental prices. People just won't go higher even if it amazing even by $50. A friend of mine made every "improvement" you can think of and it hasn't helped increase their rent value at all. The problem is that people type in a number, if your number is to high they won't see your house.
Same here. If tenants are willing to pay more than the rent in a neighborhood, they go to a better neighborhood. Crummy finishes vs. the neighborhood will result in lower rent. Anything better than typical for a neighborhood won't get you higher rent than is typical.