Should I hire a project manager or trust the general contractor?

Should I hire a project manager or trust the general contractor?

Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 2 votes

My local market is very expensive and out of my price range for investment, so I've been investing in other markets. I bought my first two investment properties in Phoenix AZ two years ago.  Both needed only minor work which the property manager took care of and everything went very smooth.

Last year I started looking into Milwaukee  WI market, made a visit in September, have made offers on foreclosure properties since late September and finally got a property in Shorewood under contract.  This will be my first rehab.  I've been listening to the Podcast and reading threads on BP, but still feel a bit nervous since I won't be on site to oversee the rehab and hope to find a mentor on BP or get advice on the forum to get my first rehab done.

My agent has recommended XX general contractors LLC stating that he's done a lot of high end rehabs for his clients and I googled the company and found city council minutes for licence renewal meetings both in 2012 and 2014 to find the real estate agent is listed as the agent for the XX general contractors LLC. He'd already told me he and his team do rehabs and rental management for out of state investors, but was not transparent about his involvement with XX general contractors LLC which makes me not trust him. Am I being paranoid? or would you not trust the agent and the contractor?

Should I hire a project manager ( ideally a local investor colleague) and a general contractor to do the rehab?  I can visit the site once or twice at the most.  or should I just find a general contractor (hopefully a referral from BP colleagues) and manage the project via phone and emails? 

I should say I'm very excited and anxious about this project.  Obviously it's keeping me up late.  It's 1:20 am and I have to be at work at 7:00 am!

I'm looking forward to all your advice and hopefully making  more colleague connections in Milwaukee WI metro area.   I know I'll be learning a lot in the next couple of months!

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Broker, Investor, Property Restorer · Fox Point, WI · Member since 2012 · 288 posts · 120 votes
11y

A lot of great info and ideas directly related to your OP question there, regarding the project manager question, I'll focus on some important issues involved because it is in Shorewood and these are truly important issues.

I lived right over the Shorewood/City of Milwaukee border on the east side of MKE for years and know a fair amount of people who have and now live in their own homes there, a few people who've owned rentals or lived in half of a duplex and ONE person who rehabbed and flipped there and made some profit, not sure how much.

Shorewood, more than ANY other suburb in the entire metro area, is from what I've heard over 10+ years of doing this and other RE investing related stuff, TIGHT about what goes on with any property in the village and NOT a place where you want to be employing any contractor who's going to be cutting any corners or anything like that. In fact, ANY contractor doing a job in Shorewood MUST be licensed by Shorewood, besides being state licensed. 

Now, every day on cragislist, etc here you have hundreds of people, crews, etc running around who aren't even state licensed and getting work daily and from what I've heard many times, if you want to do a rehab there and roll one or more of those crews in, chances are very good the inspectors will come down on you like a ton of bricks! 

I'd say a MAJOR issue for you, or even your #1 issue prior to any work being done is to introduce yourself to the inspectors (its a relatively small village, can't be many of them) and I mean IN PERSON. I've heard multiple stories from very credible people of someone, like even a long time homeowner, getting a new roof and not getting a permit, not hiring a locally licensed contractor (its a pretty nominal fee and just requires WI license I believe) or doing something else wrong and they'll be all over them QUICK! I mention the "in person" part as well and I'm NOT saying to hide or obfuscate the fact that you're from AZ at all, but I'd see that part as raising a HUGE red flag for the handful of inspectors they likely have.

Now, I NEVER advocate anyone rehab in WI and not pull ALL needed permits in any city here, besides problems with the municipality, you're leaving yourself open to massive liability for many years after you think that house is sold and long gone of anything goes wrong, like an electrical fire in a house where unpermitted wiring was done. (and in WI, basically any electrical or plumbing work needs a permit, which can ONLY be pulled by state licensed master plumber/electrician)

This may sound crazy or draconian, but I can understand where they are coming from. Shorewood is small, ranges from middle class to high end huge mansions close to Lake Michigan and I'll bet 90+% of the housing stock is pre-1970, a lot of it going back to the 1920's or earlier. So, they've got a fancy area that's been pretty well kept, why risk it? I've also heard that as long as they're happy with what you're doing, they're just fine to work with as well, but don't be surprised if they ask for more work to be done on who knows what and or maybe require higher end supplies to be used, who knows!

So, please don't take this like I just told you that you're doomed to several months of hell here, not at all. I think it all comes down to getting off on the right foot with them and letting them know that you're NOT one of the corner cutters, or people who rehabs an entire home with zero permits and from everything I've heard they'll be fine to work with, but if its the opposite, then get ready for all sorts of issues or having the whole thing "red tagged" which means ALL work stops NOW, or the cops show up!

The good part is, that Shorewood is a "hot" area and if you turn out a high quality rehab, you'll likely have buyers ready to look on day one that it is on the market!

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y

    @Azita S.  This is the problem with rehabbing from afar. I too would be wary of that agent for not disclosing his relationship with the contractor.  So much so, that I don't think I'd use them.  It's hard enough finding people you can depend on; all the more difficult when you're out of state. 

    In general if you have a good contractor, you shouldn't need the additional oversight of a project manager. Plus, the manager could be just as untrustworthy.  :)

    Perhaps you could get some recommendations for local contractors here. Good luck with it...be careful.

  • Vendor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Find out what the situation is with the realtor and contractor. The referal may be a very good one. Check references and BBB on the contractor. I would have a local investor keep an eye out for you, take pictures etc.. Peace of mind for being out of state. Maybe hire a Home Inspector with construction experience. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    Congrats 

    I would agree : " Hire a Home Inspector with construction experience "

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    There is no BBB records on them.  I looked up the licence and it's active.  

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    Is this for a flip or rental?

    Milwaukee metro is a very tough area to flip houses profitably, for various reasons.  And especially if you're an out of towner.  I've now flipped well over 100 houses, and have only lost money on two of them -- both out-of-town flips in Milwaukee.  

    While we made money on all the rest (it's definitely possible to make money), the headaches and stress of dealing with various Milwaukee-specific issues was enough to drive me out of that market...

    Now, if this is a rehab for rental, that's a different story.  If the numbers work using a GC, go for it (no project manager needed as long as you do your due diligence on the GC and have strong contracts).

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    I would recommend that you bring some sort of independent 3rd party through the building during the renovation at least every other week, if not weekly depending on the size and scope of the work needed.  A home inspector could work or a potential property manager.  It shouldn't be much money out of pocket and will give you peace of mind.

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Azita S. at the beginning of your REI adventure it is important that you have checks and balances in place. Unless you are fully versed in construction lingo, it will be very hard for you to know if the GC is pulling your leg on schedules or cost over runs. You might get a good guy, but at the same time you might get a guy who is trying to milk you. Based upon the information on your post and experience I would highly suggest you get a third party person, who is non-related to the GC or your agent. You will spend a little extra money, but consider it a fee for the eduction. During the process you should be active in the weekly updates and learn about the renovation process as it unfolds. I am sure if you are willing to compensate people for their time, you will be able to find somebody on BP who could be your eyes on the project.

    Best of luck to you!

    -Arlen

  • Brandon, FL · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    A home inspection will only tell you some of the problems the house has.  But, it may not find everything, and it certainly won't keep your contractor honest, or motivate him to show up and get the work done - on time.

    From a realtor's perspective, the relationship with the contractor should definitely have been disclosed.  I probably wouldn't have given you the contractor's name at all - too much conflict of interest liability.

    Aside from the obvious risk of doing an out of state rehab, I personally wouldn't use the contractor recommended by the agent because the trust level would never be there.  And, from what others have said about Milwaukee it sounds like you might want to try to get out of the contract...

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    Is this for a flip or rental?

    Milwaukee metro is a very tough area to flip houses profitably, for various reasons.  And especially if you're an out of towner.  I've now flipped well over 100 houses, and have only lost money on two of them -- both out-of-town flips in Milwaukee.  

    While we made money on all the rest (it's definitely possible to make money), the headaches and stress of dealing with various Milwaukee-specific issues was enough to drive me out of that market...

    Now, if this is a rehab for rental, that's a different story.  If the numbers work using a GC, go for it (no project manager needed as long as you do your due diligence on the GC and have strong contracts).

    That's interesting; I've only helped someone with 1 flip in Milwaukee, so I don't have that much "flip experience", but they made a profit.  I will have to read your website on the flips you did in Milwaukee and see what caused them to not make money.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    That's interesting; I've only helped someone with 1 flip in Milwaukee, so I don't have that much "flip experience", but they made a profit.  I will have to read your website on the flips you did in Milwaukee and see what caused them to not make money.

    We only lost money on two of them, and we made a profit on all the rest (probably about 20 projects), so I'm certainly not saying that Milwaukee is impossible to make money.  

    Here are my high-level thoughts:

    -  Managing out of state made things much, much harder.  If I were in-state, I have a feeling things would have gone better;

    -  Finding reliable and reasonably priced contractors in the area is very tough.  Many union contractors who want to charge ridiculous amounts and many lower-end contractors who can't deliver quality;

    -  Most houses were in VERY rough shape, so the typical rehab was quite extensive.  This included structural and foundation work on most properties, replacing plumbing, upgrading electrical and dealing with lead and asbestos issues.  Nothing we haven't dealt with 100 times before, but the profits we were seeing weren't justifying the large-scale rehabs;

    -  Buyers in Milwaukee were the craziest I've ever dealt with.  Nearly every buyer heard the word "rehab," and decided they wanted a practically brand new house -- and these were 100+ year old houses.  If the roof was 10 years old, they wanted a new roof; if the electric service was 150 amp and perfectly suitable for their needs, they still wanted an upgrade to 200 amp; windows needed to be replaced if they didn't all match; etc.  And most buyers were VERY leery of rehabbers in general; mostly because it's so uncommon there;

    -  The weather is harsh and the market price differentials between summer and winter are extreme.  If you're listing a house before February or after July, you're taking a big hit on resale value.  So, you need to be precise with your timing.  Which again is difficult when you're out of state and you have trouble finding reliable contractors;

    -  Profits are thin compared to other places I've done rehabs.  Other investors seem to either do one project per year and were looking for 30% returns or were doing multiple projects and were happy with 10% returns.  Neither of these fit my ideal mold for a flipping market.

    Again, I'm not saying it's impossible (or even hard) to make money flipping in Milwaukee...but it was hard for ME to make money flipping in Milwaukee, especially being out of state.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    That's interesting; I've only helped someone with 1 flip in Milwaukee, so I don't have that much "flip experience", but they made a profit.  I will have to read your website on the flips you did in Milwaukee and see what caused them to not make money.

    We only lost money on two of them, and we made a profit on all the rest (probably about 20 projects), so I'm certainly not saying that Milwaukee is impossible to make money.  

    Here are my high-level thoughts:

    -  Managing out of state made things much, much harder.  If I were in-state, I have a feeling things would have gone better;

    -  Finding reliable and reasonably priced contractors in the area is very tough.  Many union contractors who want to charge ridiculous amounts and many lower-end contractors who can't deliver quality;

    -  Most houses were in VERY rough shape, so the typical rehab was quite extensive.  This included structural and foundation work on most properties, replacing plumbing, upgrading electrical and dealing with lead and asbestos issues.  Nothing we haven't dealt with 100 times before, but the profits we were seeing weren't justifying the large-scale rehabs;

    -  Buyers in Milwaukee were the craziest I've ever dealt with.  Nearly every buyer heard the word "rehab," and decided they wanted a practically brand new house -- and these were 100+ year old houses.  If the roof was 10 years old, they wanted a new roof; if the electric service was 150 amp and perfectly suitable for their needs, they still wanted an upgrade to 200 amp; windows needed to be replaced if they didn't all match; etc.  And most buyers were VERY leery of rehabbers in general; mostly because it's so uncommon there;

    -  The weather is harsh and the market price differentials between summer and winter are extreme.  If you're listing a house before February or after July, you're taking a big hit on resale value.  So, you need to be precise with your timing.  Which again is difficult when you're out of state and you have trouble finding reliable contractors;

    -  Profits are thin compared to other places I've done rehabs.  Other investors seem to either do one project per year and were looking for 30% returns or were doing multiple projects and were happy with 10% returns.  Neither of these fit my ideal mold for a flipping market.

    Again, I'm not saying it's impossible (or even hard) to make money flipping in Milwaukee...but it was hard for ME to make money flipping in Milwaukee, especially being out of state.

    Generally, for my rentals I prefer houses that are from 1950s or newer.  I did buy a house from 1926, and I put a lot of rehab work into that one to bring it up to my level of quality.  They make decent rentals, but for a flip I would never go with a house that old.  You would practically have to get it down to the studs to scrub away that "old house" feeling.  There's a difference between a "vintage" house like an old Victorian, and just an old outdated house.  My own home is from the 1950s and I like it.  I love the original hardwood floors and I like living in a ranch style house.  Many houses from pre-50s had multiple floors and large layouts which on the surface is good but rehabbing them can also be a pain.  Then again, I'm talking about Milwaukee itself, whereas I think you were out in the suburbs of Milwaukee.

    The contractor thing -- yes, there are tons of guys out there who call themselves "contractors" because they do some roofing on the side, or plumbing on the side, etc.  But if someone doesn't deliver quality results it's like you're throwing your money out the window.  Cheap doesn't equal good.  I prefer to pay a little more and get someone who does quality work, is reliable, and can follow directions. And in my case, doesn't mind that I'm female.  (It's happened -- the contractor thinks he can just do what he wants and not follow my direction because he's the guy.)

    I do a whole bunch of rehabs, but they're all mostly smaller rehabs, like $5,000 or so.  I've done a couple $25,000 rehabs and on lower, but mostly everything I do is to get a property "rent ready" not so much "flip ready".  Yet I would like to think I know a little about what I'm talking about.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    The property is not in bad shape.  It needs about $35K of work. 

    This is my first rehab and I would like  to do 4 rehabs  this year to raise funds to buy rental properties.  My ultimate goal is to collect $100K /year  in gross rental income by 2019.

    I took HELOC on my primary to fund this project and I hope it pays off. I've always been a risk taker and so far everything has paid off. I used the deal analysis on BP and I should have a 35% return if everything goes according to plan.

    I'm optimistic that I'll find a great general contractor and a project manager through BP referrals.  

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    Generally, for my rentals I prefer houses that are from 1950s or newer.  I did buy a house from 1926, and I put a lot of rehab work into that one to bring it up to my level of quality.  They make decent rentals, but for a flip I would never go with a house that old. 

    Agreed.  Unfortunately, when you get into the relatively new housing stock in that area (1950s+), you're competing with homeowners and landlords, as well as other rehabbers.  And finding deals that generate better than 10% returns are hard to come by, as homeowners and landlords are typically willing (and able) to pay more than a rehabber for that type of property.  

    If you're happy doing one or two flips per year, you can be picky and find better deals.  It's just difficult to scale (at least it was for me).

    I actually worked with two other very experienced rehabbers (each with more than 100 flips under their belts), and only one of the three of us is still in the market...and he's starting to focus more on rentals than flips these days.

    All that said, working in that market made me MUCH better at this business...it was like starting over and getting a whole new education for me...

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Hi Azita, I have worked with both, depending on your profit margin and what you are willing to spend, I would look for a "superintendent" with a contractor's license (NOTE: do not hire a handyman service, they will give you a ton of headaches, they only work for projects less than 10k) that means that they are the one's in-charge of the project while swinging the hammer, you could have most of the items pre-ordered from your local hardware or home depot (try their pro account, its great) and just have the workers pick it up (or delivered), and possibly have them spend and reimburse every week, that is just me and that is how I operate when doing a remote project. I have experience on major rehabs and ground ups, but the process is the same, only that I monitor every two or three days, and on this scale, maybe every 4 hours.

  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    11y

    @Azita S. 

    Should I hire a project manager or trust the general contractor?

    What did Reagan say? Trust but VERIFY!

  • Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    If the project can be scoped out in detail, do a thorough job of it. Make sure to be ready to handle change management carefully in the contract and execution stage. Have boots on the ground that can watch the job daily if possible. Hopefully they could do a skype call with you where you can see the job live without being there. I would think you would want to find an honest experienced kind of person...perhaps someone semi retired that lives in the area of the job to keep you connected if possible. If you are making a trip out there personally, network around and get a good local. There may be an REI club or something like that could help. Control and pay the material cost carefully yourself and put the labor cost/control on the contractor to manage.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Azita S. 

    George is giving you good advice. Contractor due diligence and a strong contract should be your primary focus here. 

    A visit to Milwaukee BEFORE this gets started will be your best investment. Put together your contractors list and have them meet you at your project to do a walk though. Pick a few you like and do a tour of the other projects they have going on to verify the quality of work. IMO, I don't believe a project manager will add value if you don't align their interests with yours. That means giving them a cut of the final profit on your deal, so its a business decision you'll have to weigh out.

    The more detail you include in the SOW of your contract the more protection you have from things getting off track. I'd include the exact materials to be used and specific quantities of each into your SOW. Materials can be a black hole so putting control measures on them in your contract is imperative. Change orders will happen along the course of the rehab so you'll need clearly outline how they should be handled. Timelines are another big risk of the project getting of track so you'll need to enforce strict control measures here as well. Hope this helps.

  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer · Fox Point, WI · Member since 2012 · 288 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    A lot of great info and ideas directly related to your OP question there, regarding the project manager question, I'll focus on some important issues involved because it is in Shorewood and these are truly important issues.

    I lived right over the Shorewood/City of Milwaukee border on the east side of MKE for years and know a fair amount of people who have and now live in their own homes there, a few people who've owned rentals or lived in half of a duplex and ONE person who rehabbed and flipped there and made some profit, not sure how much.

    Shorewood, more than ANY other suburb in the entire metro area, is from what I've heard over 10+ years of doing this and other RE investing related stuff, TIGHT about what goes on with any property in the village and NOT a place where you want to be employing any contractor who's going to be cutting any corners or anything like that. In fact, ANY contractor doing a job in Shorewood MUST be licensed by Shorewood, besides being state licensed. 

    Now, every day on cragislist, etc here you have hundreds of people, crews, etc running around who aren't even state licensed and getting work daily and from what I've heard many times, if you want to do a rehab there and roll one or more of those crews in, chances are very good the inspectors will come down on you like a ton of bricks! 

    I'd say a MAJOR issue for you, or even your #1 issue prior to any work being done is to introduce yourself to the inspectors (its a relatively small village, can't be many of them) and I mean IN PERSON. I've heard multiple stories from very credible people of someone, like even a long time homeowner, getting a new roof and not getting a permit, not hiring a locally licensed contractor (its a pretty nominal fee and just requires WI license I believe) or doing something else wrong and they'll be all over them QUICK! I mention the "in person" part as well and I'm NOT saying to hide or obfuscate the fact that you're from AZ at all, but I'd see that part as raising a HUGE red flag for the handful of inspectors they likely have.

    Now, I NEVER advocate anyone rehab in WI and not pull ALL needed permits in any city here, besides problems with the municipality, you're leaving yourself open to massive liability for many years after you think that house is sold and long gone of anything goes wrong, like an electrical fire in a house where unpermitted wiring was done. (and in WI, basically any electrical or plumbing work needs a permit, which can ONLY be pulled by state licensed master plumber/electrician)

    This may sound crazy or draconian, but I can understand where they are coming from. Shorewood is small, ranges from middle class to high end huge mansions close to Lake Michigan and I'll bet 90+% of the housing stock is pre-1970, a lot of it going back to the 1920's or earlier. So, they've got a fancy area that's been pretty well kept, why risk it? I've also heard that as long as they're happy with what you're doing, they're just fine to work with as well, but don't be surprised if they ask for more work to be done on who knows what and or maybe require higher end supplies to be used, who knows!

    So, please don't take this like I just told you that you're doomed to several months of hell here, not at all. I think it all comes down to getting off on the right foot with them and letting them know that you're NOT one of the corner cutters, or people who rehabs an entire home with zero permits and from everything I've heard they'll be fine to work with, but if its the opposite, then get ready for all sorts of issues or having the whole thing "red tagged" which means ALL work stops NOW, or the cops show up!

    The good part is, that Shorewood is a "hot" area and if you turn out a high quality rehab, you'll likely have buyers ready to look on day one that it is on the market!

  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer · Fox Point, WI · Member since 2012 · 288 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    Also, just to touch on J Scott's point about buyers being "crazy" at times about a rehabbed house here and I have to agree with him on that one. That part ties into the whole "flip" part of it, don't even use the F-word around here! 

    I've noticed (since I'm the listing realtor as well and take all the showing calls for my sales) that especially in the last maybe three years, that the buyer's realtors will ask well over half of the time on the FIRST call they make to me, either to set up a showing time, or just to get more info "Is this a FLIP" and it is NOT said in any sort of complimentary manner, either. 

    It takes us realtors usually a few minutes on the mls and tax data sites to find out the place was just sold recently for much less and then it says that the place is all redone in the listing and its totally obvious that its a flip, so be ready for that, just how it is here!

    Then, the final stage of that is the permit part. 10 years ago or even 5 years ago, you probably could rehab a house in many places here and not pull permits and your only worry at that time is if somehow the inspector randomly finds out, like a neighbor calling it in and as long as they didn't know, you could sell it just fine. (BUT still be open for potentially massive liability for years, due to what I mentioned before. If that place burns, even half burns and especially if someone is hurt or killed, between the ins co and the fire dept, they'll go through that place like any CSI TV show crew would and figure out in court, under oath just WHO added those outlets that no one got a permit for!)

    Now, over the last few years I've seen it change where the buyer's realtor or the buyer will check to see if permits were pulled (some cities have it all online, or 5 min at the village hall is all that takes) and if they somehow don't, lenders have also grown wise to all of the "s$#t shows" who were or are running around, probably after watching too many episodes of "Flip My House" or whatever and cutting corners, covering up, not getting permits and when that appraisal comes back saying "recently rehabbed _________" they'll want the permit info, if the appraiser didn't already check.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    First of all... @Robert Taylor I have not seen your around for awhile and miss your long detailed responses!  LOL!  But seriously, @Azita S. listen to Robert - he knows the area.

  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer · Fox Point, WI · Member since 2012 · 288 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    OK, one last one here, I haven't posted in a while so I think I have a bit of room left here, please DO NOT let my comments discourage you at all, I'm just saying to have a plan as far as dealing with the municipal officials you'll be undoubtedly dealing with and I mean put some time and good thought into it, its huge! 

    If you get off on the right foot and make a good first impression and let them know that regardless of whether you live in Shorewood, elsewhere in the metro or on the moon, that you'll be adding value to their community and will be hiring people who play by the rules and that when complete, the village officials and the neighbors will be happy that you took a probably neglected or maybe very neglected house or property here and left something much improved! If you do that, I don't think you'll have any issues, other than having to put some time into dealing with them from time to time on whatever and that's how it goes anywhere when you pull permits. (which at least here in WI where I work, I think is INSANE not to do!) I think letting them know how accessible you'll be to both them as well as the people working here for you whenever you're back in AZ is a major component of that point. 

    If you do that, as I said before, Shorewood is a hot market and you'll have interested buyers for any nice home for sale!

  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer · Fox Point, WI · Member since 2012 · 288 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Brie Schmidt  I hope things are going well for you here and yes, I guess I'm rarely at a loss for words! (except on THIS comment!) Also, I see Azita is from OR and not AZ, I think it was the AZita that threw me off on that one!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    @Robert Taylor

    Thanks for the post and the PM.  Knowing the politics of Shorewood before starting the rehab will save me a ton of time and headache.  

    Yes, I'm from Portland OR and here we have to pull permits for even minor stuff.  We had to pull a permit to change the lighting in our office from recessed lighting to track lighting and also to change an outlet to a different voltage.  Recently we had to pull a plumbing permit to install a washer and dryer!   You also have to pull a permit to cut a tree down in your backyard and usually they deny your request and if you cut the tree without permit, they'll fine you!  Here in Portland you can't pick your nose without a permit!!!!!!  so I'm used to that.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    My @sign is not working for some reason.  I hope Robert sees my post.  

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Azita S.@Robert Taylor 

    Bob see Azita's post above. Sounds like you found your contact. Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.