My latest "Flip" in Durham, NC

Most Popular Reply

Greensboro, NC · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 143 votes
11y

Awesome transformation @Account Closed!!

Not sure I understand the fascination with wanting to know his numbers.  Some people share, others don't.  He has been a GC for over 20 years, so even if he told us his margin, it's not like the average person could replicate it. 

This guy is a wealth of knowledge on building, remodeling and everything that goes with it from finding and managing subs, to purchasing materials, to construction code and navigating the permit office, but all you care to know is how much money he makes??  Move on with your life.

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y

    Thank you everybody for your appreciative comments. 

    As others have mentioned, the numbers on this (besides being personal) are largely irrelevant. Everybody's situation is different and what works for me would not necessarily work for someone else. 

    After many years, I have my own methods, resources and abilities and I have enjoyed much success.  I simply love taking distressed houses and breathing new life into them...creating something special and beautiful for the new owner.  I don't skimp or take shortcuts and I work very efficiently. I try to make thoughtful, tasteful choices in fit and finish and I am very generous with my "customers"..always working mindfully of them. 

    I believe there will always be people who appreciate such efforts and are willing to pay for it. And that has largely proven true. Of course it helps to be in a good market. :)   

    I did not post this to discuss my finances nor boast of earnings. I know that many people here share my passion for renovating houses and I hope my pictures inspire you on your own projects. 

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed

    "Adorable…if a house can be called adorable."  

    They certainly can be!  :)  Thank you. 

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y

    @Tanja Davidson

    "Curious, do you hire out to other flippers in your area?"  

    Sometimes...if I'm in between my own projects.  Thank you!

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Brenengen:

    @Account Closed Amazing job! Does this mean you are finally available for hire?  :)

    I love seeing the before and after pics.  Numbers are great and all, but it's totally not necessary if you don't want to share.  It came out beautifully!

    Thanks Dawn.   I'm planning to attend the next BP meetup in Cary. If you're there, maybe we can talk and catch-up.  I hope all is well with you!

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ping Chen:

    Wow, really nice job! Amazing....

     Thanks Ping!  How did your project in Cary turn out? Send me a PM and let me know. 

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2011 · 45 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Do you intend to sell it, or rent it, or keep it?

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Uriah D.:

    I think I was the first to ask about the numbers and after reading through I think the number are irrelevant to this post. My reasoning is art is a GC. He did most of the work himself and spent 9 months making this amazing home.  His costs were really only material and his time except the few licensed subs required. If any of us who hire out the work compare our numbers to his I hope his numbers blow ours out of he water. I imagine the majority of us wouldn't spend 9 months doing this with our own hands and if we did 99% of our work wouldn't have it turn out this nice.  Well done Art and I hope the pics keep coming to get this thread back on topic.

     Thanks Uriah!  I hope to see you at the next BP meet-up. 

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Greg Rusianoff:

    Do you intend to sell it, or rent it, or keep it?

     Sell.  It wouldn't make sense to do otherwise after bringing it to its current level. 

  • Real Estate Professional · Whittier, CA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Great job Art, love the details and specially the exterior transformation of your flips!!! Keep it up.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Steven G. While numbers are great, and they certainly interest me too, it's up to any individual what they want to post about and share.  Maybe the home isn't sold yet.  Maybe he doesn't like to talk money. It doesn't really matter.  Art can share what Art wants to share.  

    I'm a totally open book, though.  I'll tell you my numbers on anything all day  :)

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed I plan to be there too.  I'd love to catch up  :)

  • Fox Valley Area, WI · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    I could look at these before and after pics all day!

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y
  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Thompson:

    I could look at these before and after pics all day!

     Me too!  Thank you. 

  • Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2013 · 124 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    A Beautiful Job.  It will help my wife on our next flip style wise while looking at me, you can do that right?  "Sure with a bit of head scratching and a call to our carpenter."  

    And yes we don't have to post all numbers here since sometimes future buyers find our postings.....  Can I tell you about a story about losing a prospective couple who had plenty of time on their hands to surf the web and see if they could find me?   They did not understand what I had written out in a post about a cast iron pipe and walked away thinking that the entire house still had cast iron pipes underneath and it had all failed.  

    Check your profile "googleability" levels (yes I just made that up) and set them to members only folks if you live in a small town.   

    Great work again @Account Closed

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Darin M.:

    A Beautiful Job.  It will help my wife on our next flip style wise while looking at me, you can do that right?  "Sure with a bit of head scratching and a call to our carpenter."  

    And yes we don't have to post all numbers here since sometimes future buyers find our postings.....  Can I tell you about a story about losing a prospective couple who had plenty of time on their hands to surf the web and see if they could find me?   They did not understand what I had written out in a post about a cast iron pipe and walked away thinking that the entire house still had cast iron pipes underneath and it had all failed.  

    Check your profile "googleability" levels (yes I just made that up) and set them to members only folks if you live in a small town.   

    Great work again @Account Closed

     Thanks Darin!  

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 83 votes
    11y

    Great Work

  • Cumming, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 71 votes
    11y

    @Art Allen,

    I'm a newbie, but the more I look at the pictures, the more i see the detailed work it went into:

    -(during construction) the caution yellow tape so nobody bangs their heads/lumber/tools (this rhyme with that comment about 20 years in the biz...)

    -bathroom: incorporating the mirror cabinet into the woodwork and pre-installing the holders for the bathroom curtain

    -and many others which probably I don't see since not being in biz for long...

    Thank you

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y

    @Dumitru AntonThank you so much; you have a good eye!   It's the little details that help sell a house and make it more enjoyable to live in. 

    Good luck to you as you start out in your new business. 

  • Investor · Rutherfordton , NC · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed great work!  I really the style and color choices!

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Henry Sims:

    @Account Closed great work!  I really the style and color choices!

     Thanks Henry!  

  • Woodbridge, CT · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi Art,

    I saw this house on a few realtor sites and just absolutely loved it! It was already under contract by the time I found it, but I actually contacted the realtor and asked to be informed immediately if anything changed. Your style, the open layout/high ceilings, and the general location were all absolutely perfect. I was wondering if you had any more houses in the works that I should keep an eye out for?? I would love to hear about any other projects that you are working on near downtown Durham...

    Best,

    Rachelle

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    9y

    @Rachelle Alpern   Hi Rachelle,  Funny you should ask; I have one, that I just built, coming on the market next week...two streets over from this one. Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like more info. 

    Regards,

    Art

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.