My latest "Flip" in Durham, NC

Most Popular Reply

Greensboro, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 212 posts 路 143 votes
11y

Awesome transformation @Account Closed!!

Not sure I understand the fascination with wanting to know his numbers.  Some people share, others don't.  He has been a GC for over 20 years, so even if he told us his margin, it's not like the average person could replicate it. 

This guy is a wealth of knowledge on building, remodeling and everything that goes with it from finding and managing subs, to purchasing materials, to construction code and navigating the permit office, but all you care to know is how much money he makes??  Move on with your life.

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor 路 Raleigh, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 651 posts 路 510 votes
    11y

    @Steven G.  "Without the numbers though I think we all just lost interest.lol".  If true, that's sad. 

  • Greensboro, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 212 posts 路 143 votes
    11y

    Awesome transformation @Account Closed!!

    Not sure I understand the fascination with wanting to know his numbers.  Some people share, others don't.  He has been a GC for over 20 years, so even if he told us his margin, it's not like the average person could replicate it. 

    This guy is a wealth of knowledge on building, remodeling and everything that goes with it from finding and managing subs, to purchasing materials, to construction code and navigating the permit office, but all you care to know is how much money he makes??  Move on with your life.

  • Investor 路 Mount Pleasant, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 43 posts 路 21 votes
    11y

    Adorable鈥f a house can be called adorable.  It doesn't even look like the same place.  You have quite the skill of creativity.

  • Investor 路 Walden, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 49 posts 路 43 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed

    To help you better understand my fascination with numbers:  I want to know how my results match up against others in the same business.

    I understand that Art is someone that you idolize and my asking about his numbers somehow offended you, so I apologize for the curiosity.

  • Real Estate Professional 路 Bellwood, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 1 post 路 1 vote
    11y

    WOW! You did a phenomenal job! 馃槏馃槏

  • Wickliffe, OH 路 Member since 2015 路 48 posts 路 18 votes
    11y

    Wow, what a great job!  Before this site I never really appreciated the importance of flippers.  Taking the old and worn out and making it new again.  Fantastic! 

  • Greensboro, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 212 posts 路 143 votes
    11y

    @Steven G.  

    Idolize? No

    Offend? No

    I would say the same of any builder.

    You are trying to deflect and I was just stating my opinion.

  • Investor 路 Walden, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 49 posts 路 43 votes
    11y

    @Derek B.

    Deflect? 

     I was just curious about the guys numbers and you came out and attacked me.

  • Greensboro, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 212 posts 路 143 votes
    11y

    The deflection comment had to do with your idolization comment, which is out of nowhere and unfounded. I didn't attack you, in fact, I didn't name you in my first post. You are the one who said that you lost interest if he wouldn't post numbers.  Go ahead and get your final word in if you want - I am not debating with you.

    @Steven G.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Morehead City, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 13 posts 路 1 vote
    11y

    Art, It turned out great. Nice work. 

  • Investor 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2009 路 718 posts 路 913 votes
    11y

    Okay, I'll jump in mainly because I have nothing better to do.   There is no question that the work is absolutely gorgeous.  However, I kind of agree with others that, without more details, it's difficult to get excited or learn much from your experience.  (If you've posted elsewhere about it, I apologize in advance.)  The heading of the post is entitled your latest "flip," which carries with it a suggestion of some sort of financial analysis.  I can make any house look good for the right amount of money, but that doesn't necessarily make the house a successful flip.  Not trying to be a jerk or rain on your parade, but I would love to hear more about the nitty gritty.  Obviously, if that's outside your comfort zone, no big deal.

  • Clayton, NC 路 Member since 2015 路 17 posts 路 11 votes
    11y

    Art, you did a beautiful job!  You took something ugly and sad and made it wonderful and most likely better than it ever was in it's life.  Someone will be thrilled to buy and live in that house now.

    Curious, do you hire out to other flippers in your area?  

  • New to Real Estate 路 Castle Rock, CO 路 Member since 2014 路 172 posts 路 66 votes
    11y

    Great job, took me a second to realize it was before and after pics.  DIY or contract out? 

  • Investor 路 Lewisville, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 25 posts 路 3 votes
    11y

    Very nice work! Hope it sells quickly.

  • Software Developer 路 Conway, AR 路 Member since 2013 路 15 posts 路 6 votes
    11y

    Amazing looking house, thanks for sharing Art!

  • Investor 路 White Haven PA 路 Member since 2014 路 362 posts 路 221 votes
    11y

    I'm jumping in too.. Very nice job in the renovation.. But this is a real estate investment forum and most of us are interested in Flips due to the making of money not really about making something pretty that was ugly..  Don't get me wrong I don't see anything wrong with the post but I also "Lost interest" in the post after not seeing numbers.  Not a big deal as we are all looking for different things in the forums.

  • James SlaughterPro Member
    Environmental Scientist / Investor 路 Statesville, NC 路 Member since 2015 路 94 posts 路 41 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed Amazing job, love seeing the before and after pics.  Very inspirational! 

  • London, Greater London 路 Member since 2015 路 108 posts 路 13 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed

    I am impressed with your flip. Stunning outcome. I wish too, that I have skill to turn something beautiful like that. Congrats!

  • Investor 路 Murphy, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 189 posts 路 86 votes
    11y

    Awesome job, Art!! Hey, do you think you could post the numbers? I kid, I kid. Seriously, though, it is a beautiful house. I'm using the same octagonal bathroom tile in a house I'm doing now. Looks great in yours.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Raleigh, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed Amazing job! Does this mean you are finally available for hire?  :)

    I love seeing the before and after pics.  Numbers are great and all, but it's totally not necessary if you don't want to share.  It came out beautifully!

  • Cary, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 21 posts 路 4 votes
    11y

    Wow, really nice job! Amazing....

  • Investor 路 Walden, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 49 posts 路 43 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Chapman:

    Okay, I'll jump in mainly because I have nothing better to do.   There is no question that the work is absolutely gorgeous.  However, I kind of agree with others that, without more details, it's difficult to get excited or learn much from your experience.  (If you've posted elsewhere about it, I apologize in advance.)  The heading of the post is entitled your latest "flip," which carries with it a suggestion of some sort of financial analysis.  I can make any house look good for the right amount of money, but that doesn't necessarily make the house a successful flip.  Not trying to be a jerk or rain on your parade, but I would love to hear more about the nitty gritty.  Obviously, if that's outside your comfort zone, no big deal.

     Maybe the lack of numbers is the reason that this thread did not get one single comment other than the standard "Well Done".  

    I think an interesting alternative to sharing one's profit margins may be to show other flippers how much you can save by going the DIY route as opposed to subbing everything out.

  • Investor 路 Walden, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 49 posts 路 43 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Brenengen:

    @Account Closed Amazing job! Does this mean you are finally available for hire?  :)

    I love seeing the before and after pics.  Numbers are great and all, but it's totally not necessary if you don't want to share.  It came out beautifully!

     This is a real estate investment forum why do you feel that the numbers are not necessary.  We can all go on google and search "home renovations" and see thousands of renovations just like this.  I will say that it is motivating to see a fellow BP'er complete a project, but without numbers it feels like we just took a test and never got graded.

  • Uriah D.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Apex, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 340 posts 路 188 votes
    11y

    I think I was the first to ask about the numbers and after reading through I think the number are irrelevant to this post. My reasoning is art is a GC. He did most of the work himself and spent 9 months making this amazing home.  His costs were really only material and his time except the few licensed subs required. If any of us who hire out the work compare our numbers to his I hope his numbers blow ours out of he water. I imagine the majority of us wouldn't spend 9 months doing this with our own hands and if we did 99% of our work wouldn't have it turn out this nice.  Well done Art and I hope the pics keep coming to get this thread back on topic.

  • Ben AndrewsPro Member
    New to Real Estate 路 Escondido, CA (San Diego) 路 Member since 2015 路 112 posts 路 20 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed Beautiful work!

    Best of luck with your next one.

    -Ben

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.