I win the prize - a.k.a. thank you, God, for plumbers!

I win the prize - a.k.a. thank you, God, for plumbers!

Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hubby and I are very much do it yourself kind of people, but in some cases we are quite happy to pay a pro for his services.

Last Wednesday night I got a text from a tenant, but I was busy teaching a class at church, so I was going to wait until I was done to read it. Another one came in a few minutes later, but I ignored it. About 45 minutes later I saw this: "Um we have some sort of plumbing issue. Nothing is draining anywhere no toilets no tubs. Everything started gurgling earlier and now nothing drains." Then a photo and "We have a busted pipe."

I rushed out to find Hubby and he's nowhere in sight. Panic! Can I catch our plumber before he leaves church? There he is! Don't leave yet!

At that point Hubby finds me & reassures me that all is being taken care of, and no busted pipe. When the tenant didn't get an immediate response from me, she realized what day it was & where we'd be & came to find us. Whew! Plumber knows about issue & will bring out his roto rooter first thing in the morning.

So the prize? Well that was the next day. Plumber said, "I've cleared up a lot of clogs, but this one wins the prize." He pulled a 5 gallon bucket full of tampons out of the drain line!

$85 to clear out that mess? Worth every penny and then some! [And yes, tenant has been informed that if it happens again she is paying.]

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 935 posts · 467 votes
10y

a royal flush beats a full house!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    10y

    85 bucks?! Does he come to New Jersey?

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    10y

    I would charge them now. 

    This post belongs to this thread

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/737...

  • Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 935 posts · 467 votes
    10y

    a royal flush beats a full house!

  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    10y

    @Sylvia B. Give the bill to the Tenant.  Seriously.  Who the heck flushes tampons down the toilet?

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by :

    Who the heck flushes tampons down the toilet?

     Renters.   They also love to flush baby wipes and pour their grease down the kitchen sink.   

    "It wasn't me, I never flush anything down the toilet.  That must have been from the previous tenant."

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Scott Weaner:

    85 bucks?! Does he come to New Jersey?

     Back away from my plumber!

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Patrick L.:
    Originally posted by :

    Who the heck flushes tampons down the toilet?

     Renters.   They also love to flush baby wipes and pour their grease down the kitchen sink.   

    "It wasn't me, I never flush anything down the toilet.  That must have been from the previous tenant."

     :-)
    There was no previous tenant, so that wasn't an option, but the tenant's teenage daughter did show the box to the plumber - "See? It says "flushable.""

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    10y

    Sounds like the bill should go to the tampon company!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I was going to say great tenant for coming to find you at church, until I got to the bit about "this one wins the prize". 

    "Prize" and "5 gallon bucket full of tampons" should never ever go together in the same paragraph, IMO ... what do you suppose the prize for second place would be? You're welcome for that mental image, whatever it was :) ...

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Holy smoke!  How long has your tenant lived there?  That's a huge number of feminine products!  

    Unfortunately, most tampons end up being flushed.  As do disposable diapers.   I can remember as a teen living in a basement apartment (my dad was a janitor and we lived in the basement apartment in one of the buildings he managed) and disposable diapers were just coming on the market...(I'm old!).  You could tell when one was flushed down the toilet because our toilet sorta exploded upwards from the pressure.

    Not to sound gross but if you happened to be sitting there at the time you got your own bidet from these.

    Gail

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Gail K. just about 7 months. Mom swears it wasn't her and she is going to have a "stern talk" with her teenage daughters.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.